Advice wanted [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Advice wanted

cn05
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, dont really post much, but will look to get back into betting a bit more seriously now - so expect to see me around a bit more!

Im 19 year old student (so not massive disposal funds available for gambling), and have been an occassional punter for about 4 or so years. Have always used some form of logic and research when making bets, but have after realising that ive actually made a decent amount from this, and my increasing love of gambling (sounds like im an addict lol) ive decided to put more focus into it. So thought i'd ask you guys for some advice/feedback!

Ive got my bankroll (altho i have never kept accurate measurement) up to about $600 now. I want to start being more discliplined with my betting, as too often in the past ive won alot, increased stakes only to blow my winnings. Ive just taken a two week break so that i didnt blow my winnings from first few days of Wimbledon. Am now ready to get back into it. From reading through the forum, ive gathered i should never bet more than 5% of my bankroll yes? So $30 should be my maximum limit that i am betting at this stage?

Also, how do you guys keep records of betting history? Is there any sites that you use, or simply write down every bet you make into a book. I really want to get a system where i know how much im winning of certain sports, whats working for me, whats not etc.

What bookmakers do you use? My main sports are Tennis/English soccer and AFL. Most of the time i simply pop into local TAB, but also have an account @ Centrebet. Im thinking of putting entire 'bankroll' into Betfair? I thought it would be easier to keep track of money in one location, and betfair appears to be good. Or would you reccommend multi bookies?

Sorry for such a long post, any advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

A_Skywalker
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi, most of the gamblers write down in excell their bets. Then they calculate the average winnings odds. I see that you are from USA, I am not sure you can make a deposit in Betfair.

cn05
07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi, most of the gamblers write down in excell their bets. Then they calculate the average winnings odds. I see that you are from USA, I am not sure you can make a deposit in Betfair.

I am from Australia.

A_Skywalker
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I am from Australia.

Upps, sorry, my eyes hurt me from this monitor and I didnt look good the flag :o

bad gambler
07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey guys, dont really post much, but will look to get back into betting a bit more seriously now - so expect to see me around a bit more!

Look forward to seeing your plays in the upcoming weeks :wavey:

Im 19 year old student (so not massive disposal funds available for gambling), and have been an occassional punter for about 4 or so years. Have always used some form of logic and research when making bets, but have after realising that ive actually made a decent amount from this, and my increasing love of gambling (sounds like im an addict lol) ive decided to put more focus into it. So thought i'd ask you guys for some advice/feedback!

Ive got my bankroll (altho i have never kept accurate measurement) up to about $600 now. I want to start being more discliplined with my betting, as too often in the past ive won alot, increased stakes only to blow my winnings. Ive just taken a two week break so that i didnt blow my winnings from first few days of Wimbledon. Am now ready to get back into it. From reading through the forum, ive gathered i should never bet more than 5% of my bankroll yes? So $30 should be my maximum limit that i am betting at this stage?

There is no real hard and fast rule about staking in general. But the widely accepted rule of thumb is around 5% of your bankroll so yep at this stage you should be looking at $30 as your max play.

Also, how do you guys keep records of betting history? Is there any sites that you use, or simply write down every bet you make into a book. I really want to get a system where i know how much im winning of certain sports, whats working for me, whats not etc.

Personally I think it is imperative you keep a record of your bets. People use a variety of methods to do so ranging from excel spreadsheets to simple paper records, whatever works for you at the end of the day. Also keep a record by sport is crucial IMO, that way you can keep a track of those sports you are doing well in and those you are not which in turn can dictate how you stake and where your focus should lie going forward.

What bookmakers do you use? My main sports are Tennis/English soccer and AFL. Most of the time i simply pop into local TAB, but also have an account @ Centrebet. Im thinking of putting entire 'bankroll' into Betfair? I thought it would be easier to keep track of money in one location, and betfair appears to be good. Or would you reccommend multi bookies?

Sorry for such a long post, any advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

This depends on your objective from gambling, if you want to take it a bit more seriously than I definitely would suggest you open multiple accounts across different bookmakers both local and offshore. That allows you to exploit any pricing differentials between books, because I can assure you there are many out there. Taking advantage of better lines may be the difference between you winning or losing a particular bet, there is no worser a feeing than losing a bet by say 0.5 knowing you could have gotten a better line elsewhere. If you are doing this basically as a hobby, then I suppose it really doesn't matter where you have your money.

In terms of keeping one account for tracking, well if you keep a good record of your bets than you shouldn't have to worry about using 1 account for the purposes of keeping track of your money.

cn05
07-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Look forward to seeing your plays in the upcoming weeks :wavey:

There is no real hard and fast rule about staking in general. But the widely accepted rule of thumb is around 5% of your bankroll so yep at this stage you should be looking at $30 as your max play.

Personally I think it is imperative you keep a record of your bets. People use a variety of methods to do so ranging from excel spreadsheets to simple paper records, whatever works for you at the end of the day. Also keep a record by sport is crucial IMO, that way you can keep a track of those sports you are doing well in and those you are not which in turn can dictate how you stake and where your focus should lie going forward.

This depends on your objective from gambling, if you want to take it a bit more seriously than I definitely would suggest you open multiple accounts across different bookmakers both local and offshore. That allows you to exploit any pricing differentials between books, because I can assure you there are many out there. Taking advantage of better lines may be the difference between you winning or losing a particular bet, there is no worser a feeing than losing a bet by say 0.5 knowing you could have gotten a better line elsewhere. If you are doing this basically as a hobby, then I suppose it really doesn't matter where you have your money.

In terms of keeping one account for tracking, well if you keep a good record of your bets than you shouldn't have to worry about using 1 account for the purposes of keeping track of your money.

Thanks for the help bg. At this stage i think im gonna start with the one account, as i dont have a massive bankroll. Not much point putting $100 in a few different sites. If my account grows, i'll look into moving some money into other places.

Cheers.

Gamblore
07-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Welcome to the site, it looks like MTF is really pulling in the Australians which is good to see. Good luck with you and your betting, enjoy this site as there are some good cappers in here. By the way, i see you mainly bet on Tennis and EPL, and AFL. Betfair and Pinnacle are very good accounts to have, they are the ones i mainly use.

bossboss
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Another Aussie:banana: :banana:

Good luck , as BG said use multiple accounts so you can get you best line (Spread)