LLeyton diehards may hate me [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LLeyton diehards may hate me

luvbadboys
08-19-2002, 03:55 AM
The Lleyton diehards may hate me for this but a friend of mine brought this up and I'm starting to believe her. The theory is that Lleyton needs these controversies to psyche himself up before/during big tournaments. It's his way of relieving stress which may explain while he's been the most consistent player on the tour as opposed to the other new balls who haven't figured out yet how to handle the pressure.

If you look at most of the tournaments he's won he always has something to prove/fight against. When he was younger he had to fight off intimidation tactics of the bigger older boyshe had to play in the juniors. His most memorable matches davis cup in spain and brazil were set in the most hostile atmosphere (in Spain the crowd booed and whistled during his serves) USOPEN2001 he pretty much pissed off most Americans with James Blake and Andy Roddick matches then went up against the all time favorite Sampras. Then the whole can he be #1 question and he won the masters. Then he got sick and suffered that 1st round loss in OZ he came to win San Jose and IW. I think he felt he had to prove that OZ was an aberration. In Wimbledon he had to deal with an insanely pro-henman crowd. Now two weeks before the uSOPEN he openly attacks the ATP (which I can only applaud since I hate the ATP). Which brings up the question is LLeyton consciously or unconsciously playing with the media? How seriously should we be taking all this drama?

Folks, if the theory is true, LLeyton seems to be psyching himself up for a spectacular run at the open.

Scotso
08-19-2002, 05:28 AM
Interesting theory. I don't think it's correct but it's interesting.

Why would we hate you for that?

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 05:49 AM
I certaintly hope no one would hate you for not worshipping his every move ;)

Nice read though. No way we'll ever know if thats true though.

I tend to think he just has the type of attitude that brings controversy in - and that it isn't intentional.

Having an attitude like that isn't always a bad thing either - IMO its what keeps him winning too.

irma
08-19-2002, 07:22 AM
I doubt he does it on purpose either!

Angele
08-19-2002, 10:58 AM
LOL, you'd have to be a lot meaner than that for us to hate you :kiss:

Your theory is interesting though but I don't think he tries to create contreversy but seeing how it doesn't bother him too much he doesn't try to avoid it too much, therefore speaking his mind on whatever's bothering him!

Jackie
08-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Yes, the theory works, but I don't think it's deliberate. You can't honestly believe that he planned the whole ATP fining him thing

tennischick
08-19-2002, 12:34 PM
it's a sad commentary on your perception of hewitt fans that you have to start your post so defensively! in any event i agree with untitled that hewitt doesn't exactly plan his controversies -- i doubt that he went out on court against James Blake with a conscious intent to be racist -- but i agree that he functions best from a "me against the world" position. it motivates him -- he's a scrappy fighter and he fights best when he perceives himself as being unfairly treated whether it's a bad line call, a major fine, or flowers that were just too darned sweet. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the problem is that after a while the act gets tedious and boring -- despite the results.

Jackie
08-19-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by tennischick -- i doubt that he went out on court against James Blake with a conscious intent to be racist [/B]

He wasn't racist. Please don't get me started on this again

tennischick
08-19-2002, 12:55 PM
we're all entitled to our opinions when last i checked. so do feel free to hold to yours.

Chloe le Bopper
08-19-2002, 05:35 PM
I don't see the point in arguing wether or not he was racist.

Unless someone here knows him personally, then neither of you is right or wrong :o

But then again, why don't we just all think the same around here? That would be ever so facinating :o

Jackie
08-19-2002, 10:48 PM
At worst he accused a linesperson of being racist towards him. I'm not going to comment any further on this subject...back to the original topic. The ATP and their crap with Hewitt has been compared to Borg quitting

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 02:37 AM
Tennischick my relationship with my family (hey brother and sister badboy lovers) is not subject insult or assault no matter how insanely obssesed I think they may like my biological family I may diss but you may not. Otherwise, I think most of your opinions are pretty well reasoned and I have no problems with them.

On this racism issue though I don't think LLeyton is racist, the fact is that that comment was. There is no getting around it. All that happened is that he just received a crash course on the pernicious problem that is race in America. He probably did not know much about racial sensitivity before ( and I would argue that a surprisingly large # of White Americans don't have much knowledge either)

tennischick
08-20-2002, 02:45 AM
huh? you lost me with the family thing. when and how did i insult your family? or are you saying that someone on this board is related to hewitt? whom? how? :confused: :confused:

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Irma I don't think he does it on purpose either. I just think it's a leftover visceral reaction from his years in the juniors. If every day a 10/11yr old boy had to deal with hostile bigger boys it might have led him to develop this fight or die attitude. It's the only way he knows how to play tennis because his formative years required that reaction. Basically what I'm trying to say is that it has now become instinctive to the point where even if everything is alright he'll create a situation the same way some girls have a way of ending up with guys very much like their fathers. It's not something they think about .

AAACK!!! alright enough with the amateur/Oprah psychology. I'm sure I 'm wrong anyway.

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 02:47 AM
I meant the large warm and slightly psycho (osbourne-like)LLeyton family

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 02:48 AM
whoops lleyton-lover family:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tennischick
08-20-2002, 02:51 AM
aha! (lightbulb!) :eek:

sorry lubadboys but you've got the facts twisted around. i didn't initiate an attack against any member of your "family". i made a negative criticism of hewitt and some members of your family decided to attack me. so then i defended myself.

if y'all wanna do the groupthink thing, feel free. but i won't allow anyone to attack me for having an opinion that differs from theirs. i honestly hope you can understand this. peace out.

Scotso
08-20-2002, 02:57 AM
tc, for someone who doesn't like lleyton, you spend a shitload of your day thinking about him...

obsessed much?

tennischick
08-20-2002, 03:01 AM
i was only answering luvbadboys question. is your brain so full of shit that you can't see this? :confused:

there luvbadboys, need a better example of my point? :confused:

Scotso
08-20-2002, 03:03 AM
wow, talk about personal attacks.

and you know what i'm talking about. you spend 90% of your time here talking about Lleyton.

I guess he makes you hot.

tennischick
08-20-2002, 03:10 AM
no he makes you hot. i don't swing that way.

again, i was responding to a question, not to you.

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 03:11 AM
Hey guys give it a rest guys this was between tc and me.

TC I was referring to your earlier comment in this thread which I thought was addressed to me, not to anything else that might have occured between you and others in other threads.

tennischick
08-20-2002, 03:13 AM
luvbadboys, please show me where i attacked you and i will promptly apologise.

luvbadboys
08-20-2002, 03:26 AM
"It's a sad commentary on your perception of Hewitt fans....."

I thought you were trying to cause trouble between me and my LLeytonloving brothers and sisters. If you weren't, I 'll feel real bad because I will have started with the negative energy and the only persons who should get that are in the ATP.

tennischick
08-20-2002, 03:32 AM
puh-lease!!! i was referring to the obvious defensiveness of your title!!! that was all -- there was no hidden agenda.

this is becoming soooooooooo tiring...

you know it might be easier if y'all list the names of your brothers and sisters so that i won' step over any toes in the future.

aussiefan83
08-20-2002, 07:35 AM
the way this thread has deteriorated into an argument is almost hilarious.

the original topic/theory was interesting, the rest of this conversation is just stupid!

please, everyone get back on track :)