Bouncing back from Wimbledon, staying sharp, and whoring for points in Stuttgart [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bouncing back from Wimbledon, staying sharp, and whoring for points in Stuttgart

Johnny Groove
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I know the Wimbledon final just ended, but im already looking ahead :lol:

The Pro
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Back on the rankings trail.....:sport:

Tnn74
07-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Do we know exactly how many points he will have to defend for the hard court season?

explicit
07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
I think he has 795 points to defend till the end of the year.

Lori42
07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I think he can defend those points esp. if he plays Stuttgart. I also think he will have a better hardcourt season this year. Roger has a lot more points to defend and there are players that can beat him on hardcourts as we saw early in the year. Rafa played a great Wimbledon and it can only boost his confidence going into the hardcourts season!

Xristos
07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I dont think he will play stuttgart. His nect tourny will be TMS Canada.

Johnny Groove
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I dont think he will play stuttgart. His nect tourny will be TMS Canada.

he said in the Wimbledon presser hes playing Stuttgart

Lopaka
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Unless there is a knee problem I think Rafa will be at Stuttgart. He has 450 points to defend during the NA hard court. Playing Stuttgart he should give a better hard court start than last year.

guga2120
07-10-2007, 04:19 AM
I think it all depends on that knee, if hes ok i think he will play atleast one of those clay tournaments before the TMS.

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Vamos!

Back to clay for the confidence boost. :)

vamosnadal
07-12-2007, 12:26 PM
From what I've read Rafa's definitely playing Stuttgart according to Carlos Costa and they have even requested a place in the doubles. The only thing which could prevent him playing is if a scan on his knee (Tkaing place on Friday) shows something serious, which is not expected, as it was due to only take 48 hours to heal.

I will go and find the source and link for eveyone...

The_Nadal_effect
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
How important is Stuttgart in terms of 'title value' (Its not a TMS)??
Is it as important as Dubai or comparable to Chennai?

Can anyone please answer? :)

vamosnadal
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
It's apparently worth 250 ranking points which is very good for a tournament without masters status. As a title I would think it is more respected than Chennai but perhaps a little less prestigious than Dubai. (Although i think it has the same ranking points as Dubai)

The_Nadal_effect
07-13-2007, 04:45 AM
It's apparently worth 250 ranking points which is very good for a tournament without masters status. As a title I would think it is more respected than Chennai but perhaps a little less prestigious than Dubai. (Although i think it has the same ranking points as Dubai)

Thanks for replying :hug:

Tnn74
07-15-2007, 01:25 AM
The draw for Stuttgart is out!!!
He has Berdych and JCF in his half...
I like seeing the [1] next to Rafa's name :angel:

MAIN DRAW SINGLES:

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [1] vs Alexander Waske (GER) WC
Simon Greul (GER) WC vs Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
Stefan Koubek (AUS) vs Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Jan Hernych (CZE) vs Juan Monaco (ARG) [8]

Tomas Berdych (CZE) [3] vs Nicolas Lapentti (ECU)
Carlos Berlocq (ARG) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Jan Hajek (CZE) vs Diego Hartfield (ARG)
Gaston Gaudio (ARG) vs Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) [6]

Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) [7] vs Max Mirnyi (BLR)
Qualifier vs Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Florian Mayer (GER)
Qualifier vs Davis Ferrer (ESP) [4]

Guillermo Canas (ARG) [5] vs Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
Qualifier vs Benjamin Becker (GER)
Qualifier vs Ivan Navarro Pastor (ESP)
Gael Monfils (FRA) vs Tommy Robredo (ESP) [2] WC

Metis
07-15-2007, 04:08 AM
The draw for Stuttgart is out!!!
He has Berdych and JCF in his half...
I like seeing the [1] next to Rafa's name :angel:

:lol:

He's also playing doubles with Tomeu.
Does anyone know if there will be a livestream from Stuttgart this week?

Tnn74
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
So I read on GM that Rafa has pulled out of his doubles match because Tomeu had an injury...
which I think may be good afterall so he won't be so worn out by the HC season... :angel:

the_natural
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Rafa, forever the points whore :P I feel this is a bad idea like Hamburg, Mental fatigue more than physical, 2 days off then hamburg, 3 days off then RG, 3 days off then Queens, 4 days off then wimbledon with practically no days off and a huge heart breaking loss as a result of that, now he gets a week off and straight onto clay?? Why didnt he go to LA instead?

My only way to explain this is that he wants to play somewhere where he KNOWS he can win (clay), he can get his feeling for the ball back and just get back into playing again, get the confidence up again, and then go to hard courts (also on clay he can play hard court tennis like he was at the beggining of the year, aggressive going for winners and angles and aces etc), BUT because its clay he can still win by reverting to defensive play if it goes badly, if he went straight to hard courts its a long tough season for the body and then the pressure is on straight away to start playing well and aggressively and the confidence will just keep falling if he comes up against alotta big hitters who swing freely and he has not yet refined the aggressive game enough to be effective then the whole season goes out the window.

What do you think?

RogiFan88
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
easy title for Raf on clay, plain and simple -- he can win clay titles, inc RG w his L foot... and without dropping a set... it's a no-brainer

mallorn
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Jonathan, remember what happened the last time we had "whoring" in the thread title? :ras:

Rafa, forever the points whore :P I feel this is a bad idea like Hamburg, Mental fatigue more than physical, 2 days off then hamburg, 3 days off then RG, 3 days off then Queens, 4 days off then wimbledon with practically no days off and a huge heart breaking loss as a result of that, now he gets a week off and straight onto clay?? Why didnt he go to LA instead?

My only way to explain this is that he wants to play somewhere where he KNOWS he can win (clay), he can get his feeling for the ball back and just get back into playing again, get the confidence up again, and then go to hard courts (also on clay he can play hard court tennis like he was at the beggining of the year, aggressive going for winners and angles and aces etc), BUT because its clay he can still win by reverting to defensive play if it goes badly, if he went straight to hard courts its a long tough season for the body and then the pressure is on straight away to start playing well and aggressively and the confidence will just keep falling if he comes up against alotta big hitters who swing freely and he has not yet refined the aggressive game enough to be effective then the whole season goes out the window.

What do you think?
I think it's different than Hamburg, which I still think was just crazy, and I reckon after what happened last year this is the only option, really. It's clear he can't take three weeks off, come back to hard courts and win tournaments straightaway. People who saw him practise on Monday said he was spraying balls all over the place - and that was after just a week off! I think it's much better for him to play Stuttgart, get his timing and some confidence back, then get some more rest and focus on the NA swing. Plus, the points might make a difference at some point.

Rafa on form in return

Eurosport - Tue, 17 Jul 18:02:00 2007

Top seed Rafael Nadal rolled over German wild card Alexander Waske 6-1 6-1 to easily win his Stuttgart opener in the Spaniard's first match since losing the All England final.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com//ng/sp/eurosport/20070717/17/4155018864.jpg

The 2005 champion, who skipped the post-Wimbledon tournament last year will next face another German Philipp Kohlschreiber, who beat compatriot Simon Greul 6-1 6-2 on Tuesday to reach the second round.

"Well it's always tough in the beginning, it's difficult to change and I only had three days to adapt. Here is a very fast court," Nadal said of the switch back to his favourite surface after a month on grass.

"I'm happy for the first victory here because always the first match is tough."

Though he claimed it was a difficult transition, the Majorcan world number two looked very much at ease on the red German clay, sliding around the dirt as well as he had done in winning his third successive French Open title at Roland Garros last month.

Nadal never looked in danger of dropping serve, and Waske never had an easy service game facing 13 break points in just 73 minutes of play.
Rafa won the first four games of the match then broke the 22-year-old Waske a third time after the German committed a double-fault on triple set point.

The 21-year-old Spaniard dominated the second set as well, breaking the German in the fourth and sixth games before finishing off the match with his third ace.

The only thing that did not seem to fit Nadal during his easy opening-round victory were a pair of unusually short pants. After the match the Spaniard noted that he had forgotten his normal, longer match-shorts at his hotel.

Third and fourth seeds Tomas Bedrych and David Ferrer also advanced into the second round on day two of the claycourt event.

The Czech Berdych eased past Ecuador's Nicolas Lapentti 6-1 6-1, while Ferrer also had little trouble in beating Slovakian qualifier Lukas Lacko.

Fresh off of his victory at the Swedish Open last week, Ferrer will next face Spanish compatriot Fernando Verdasco.

Argentines Juan Monaco and Juan Ignacio Chela advanced past Czech Jan Hernych and Belarussian Max Mirnyi respectively.

The Argentine number one Guillermo Canas was forced to retire from his match with Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka trailing 7-6 2-6 0-1 in the third set, while compatriot Jose Acasuso fell to Stefan Koubek 6-2 7-5.

Jeremy Stahl / Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17072007/58/atp-stuttgart-rafa-form-return.html

MariaV
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
That seems to have been an easy walk on his favourite clay. :D :cool:

The only thing that did not seem to fit Nadal during his easy opening-round victory were a pair of unusually short pants. After the match the Spaniard noted that he had forgotten his normal, longer match-shorts at his hotel.
:o :lol:
I have my last week of holidays so I'm enjoying it as much as I can ;) but I hope to be back for some time during the weekend. :wavey:
VAMOS!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Johnny Groove
07-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Ania, dear, Hamburg and Stuttgart are much different situations :kiss:

Also, i read somewhere on VB.com that he cried for about 30 mins after he lost to Rogah at Wimlby :awww:

the_natural
07-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Jonathan, remember what happened the last time we had "whoring" in the thread title? :ras:

I think it's different than Hamburg, which I still think was just crazy, and I reckon after what happened last year this is the only option, really. It's clear he can't take three weeks off, come back to hard courts and win tournaments straightaway. People who saw him practise on Monday said he was spraying balls all over the place - and that was after just a week off! I think it's much better for him to play Stuttgart, get his timing and some confidence back, then get some more rest and focus on the NA swing. Plus, the points might make a difference at some point.

Yep word to ur post (oh god now ive become like the rest of them, Worrddd) I think ud expect him to spray balls all over even after a week off, Grass to Clay, Night and day pretty much, and he has to get used to standing a bit further back and not taking the ball so early like he was on grass. And I think that the change from hard-clay-hard isnt so much of a difference as players claim, except on hard courts its faster and flat hitting is more effective, but Rafa says the courts in stuttgart are very fast, and Im not sure what the USTA has done this year but the cement courts are slower these days than they used to be and the tennis balls are bigger and heavier (although apparently they were thinking of makin it faster as they did in memphis this year), so im thinkin that there will be only a slight adjustment when he gets to hard courts, plus he will be on a winning streak when he gets to cincy (I know im not meant to say that because its badluck but Its rafa on clay!!! and judging from that win, wimbledon seemslike a bit of a distant memory).

yana
07-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Ania, dear, Hamburg and Stuttgart are much different situations :kiss:

It's time that you let someone else to open these threads. the Wimbly one didn't worked well. :p

mallorn
07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
^^ It's not Jonathan, it's the negative title, I'm telling you! :p

Nadal overcomes another injury like Wimbledon to reach Stuttgart quarterfinals

STUTTGART, Germany (AP) - Rafael Nadal overcame a right knee to win his 90th match in his last 91 attempts on clay, beating Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-3 Thursday to advance to the Mercedes Cup quarterfinals.

The second-ranked Spaniard played with a taped knee and leg and was treated courtside after the 37th-ranked German won the first game played between the two.

Nadal is playing his first tournament since losing the Wimbledon final to Roger Federer in five sets on July 8. In that match, Nadal's right knee was taped while leading 4-1 in the fourth set.

«It was similar to what happened at Wimbledon,» said the top-seeded Nadal in Stuttgart. «I felt this stab of pain and I held myself back at first on the court and then it got better.»

Nadal said he didn't expect to have to withdraw, and that it was the first time the problem had returned since losing to Federer.

«At the start, I really doubted if I could keep playing,» Nadal said. «I believe I can keep going. Maybe its not 100 percent, but its pretty good.»

Nadal, the three-time French Open, soon found his rhythm with his ground strokes as Kohlschreiber landed less than 40 percent of his first serves in the first set as Nadal broke to lead 3-2.

Sixth-seeded Juan Carlos Ferrero beat Diego Hartfield of Argentina 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, while Juan Monaco of Argentina beat Austria's Stefan Koubek, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

http://www.pr-inside.com/nadal-overcomes-another-injury-like-wimbledon-r178013.htm

guga2120
07-19-2007, 11:43 PM
He shouldn't be playing this tournament, yeah he could win it at not 100%, but the the worse thing would be to get hurt before America. If it still bothering him, he should pull out.

the_natural
07-20-2007, 03:40 AM
He shouldn't be playing this tournament, yeah he could win it at not 100%, but the the worse thing would be to get hurt before America. If it still bothering him, he should pull out.

U know the strangest irony, ur a guga fan and u say that, and I remember in 99 Pete was unbeaten from queens to the USO and returning Gugas serve in practice he rupture that spinal disk which made the entire pre-uso series worthless since he couldnt play the uso.

I guess its just me but its a bit of a coincidence that U, in particular, said it :)

uR RIGHT though but i think this is a warm up as mallorn said, Buttttt he may lose to lopez or someone I still dont want that to happen cos id like to see another clay court streak but this knee prob... very bad man, Hard courts are BRUTAL on the knees... shoot... Please have a cakewalk to the title and then get some good rehab

Tnn74
07-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey guys, something to look on the brighter side...
Remember the last time Rafa won Stuttgart in 05...?
he then went on to take Montreal and Madrid!!!
so VAMOOOOOOOOS Rafzilla! start biting more trophies! :banana:

linus
07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Rafa, take care of yourself well please :hug:

I do be afraid of any injury again :rolleyes: his fitness is more important than wins to me at the present. while Rafa is a real fighter. I think he knows what he is doing so Vamos :rocker:

MariaV
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I hope he'll at least won't play Umag now before going to the States. :( :mad:
Yes, hard courts are bad for knees anyway.

I thought of a nice title for the Montreal thread but now I forgot it. :sad: :tears: And I'm not sure if I'd bring luck. :o

dibs
07-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe Rafa feels this is his year to take over the No 1 ranking - he's ahead in the race with no points to defend this week.

Whether it's wise to aggravate an injury it's debatably - more points available in Canada and Cincy plus he's only 21 and has already had foot problems that kept him out for a long stretch. It would be so sad if his career was cut short by recurring injuries such as patella tendonitis.

Johnny Groove
07-20-2007, 04:44 PM

I thought of a nice title for the Montreal thread but now I forgot it. :sad: :tears: And I'm not sure if I'd bring luck. :o

I reallly hope he passes up that Umag WC :o

And what was your montreal thread, dear? :hug:

MariaV
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
6-1 6-3 over Monaco in 1 h 17 min wasn't too hard on his knee hopefully.
Semis vs Feliciano Lopez. :drool: :lick: ;)
Feli was VERY pumped today vs JCF, let's see what he can produce tomorrow.

MariaV
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Jonathan, I forgot! :sad: :tears: If you have a nice title and want me to start the thread, let me know. :wavey:
How are thinks, everything OK? :hug: Having holidays like me?

mallorn
07-20-2007, 04:54 PM
That knee problem is a strained rotular tendon, but he got his doctor's ok to play for now. He's not playing any other clay court events, the next one will be Montreal.

Good win today, I couldn't watch it but read that he played very well. :yeah:

Johnny Groove
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
That knee problem is a strained rotular tendon, but he got his doctor's ok to play for now. He's not playing any other clay court events, the next one will be Montreal.

Good win today, I couldn't watch it but read that he played very well. :yeah:

There were rumors of him taking a WC into Umag, which is looking more and more doubtful

Jonathan, I forgot! :sad: :tears: If you have a nice title and want me to start the thread, let me know. :wavey:
How are thinks, everything OK? :hug: Having holidays like me?

I havent thought of a nice thread title yet, but if you remember one, by all means start it :)

As for me, im not doing so well. Yeh, im on holidays, but :tape:

Tnn74
07-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Lopez and Rafa to exchange friendly fires-

"Rafa is my best friend on the circuit," said Lopez.
"He's playing well at the moment but I will try and play like I did today."

...and you will still be destroyed Feli, sorry :angel: :banana:

RogiRafaFan86
07-21-2007, 01:52 AM
The last thing I want to see is either one be destroyed. I love them both, so I want to see a good match, and let the best man win. That's how they both want it, I am sure.

Tnn74
07-21-2007, 02:00 AM
The last thing I want to see is either one be destroyed. I love them both, so I want to see a good match, and let the best man win. That's how they both want it, I am sure.

It's just a statement, I have absolutely NO hatred
towards Feli, ever :angel: just that I was really hoping
for a Nadal-Ferrero Semi's :awww: but go Rafa :bounce:

myrt
07-21-2007, 12:59 PM
What happened to the livestream from Stuttgard ? Help..was watching Nadal and Lopez warm up and then screen froze ...what's up ? Anyone who can tell me...?

steffis
07-21-2007, 04:31 PM
It`s cool that Rafa won against Lopez. And I`m very happy to see Rafa LIVE tomorrow. I bought some tickets right after the end of the semifinal. Hopefully, I can take awesome pictures of him and post them here.

the_natural
07-22-2007, 05:44 AM

IS Umag on clay?? Cos he said "this is the clay tournament of the year so it is good for me to finish well so i can come back to clay with confidence" or somethin like that, so if umag is on clay hes not playing.

the_natural
07-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Lopez and Rafa to exchange friendly fires-

"Rafa is my best friend on the circuit," said Lopez.
"He's playing well at the moment but I will try and play like I did today."

...and you will still be destroyed Feli, sorry :angel: :banana:

Yeh and u were right, 7-5 in the second isnt bad but rafa didnt face a break point (on clay for heavens sake, this is becoming more and more like early in the clay season, wasnt it like 7 matches without facing bp?) The match against Monaco was ridiculous, Juan put everything into it and barely held those 4 games, rafa was hitting forehand and backhand winners, and he looked so natural being aggressive, thats sthe best sign it didnt look like he was trying, not like last year (Even wimbledon 06) hes just playing his natural aggressive game and its making him even more deadly on clay which is great, it means the only difference from now on between clay and the faster surfaces is gonna be his position on the court :) :) he doesnt look like hes being FORCED to do nething, on and the transition to net is so beautiful and natural an amazing feat for a right hander, he really looks like, injuries not witshtanding, he can and will win all the slams (best chance at Wimbledon)

MariaV
07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes Umag is on clay. But that was quite enough for now. :D
6-4 7-5. Rafa wasn't moving as well as usual but he still got it done when it mattered. Stan fought really well until the end but couldn't serve for the set at 5-3 and after that he kinda gave up. Anyway, well done for Stan too, good to see him back after that horrible injury. :hug:
And Rafa PLEASE get some rest for the knee now. :hug:

Tnn74
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
:banana: 5 straight games in a row! what a true Clay King!!! :bigclap:
now no more tennis on that ankle for 2 weeks PLEASE! :angel:

Xristos
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Vamooos!

guga2120
07-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Congrats to the man, now go rest that knee.:)

Björki
07-22-2007, 06:20 PM
well done Rafa :yeah:

cc2monac
07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
congrats rafito!!! I was a lil bit scared in the 2d set but you did it in 2! it's perfect! as usual when he plays on clay!

Naide
07-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Congrats Chico

RogiFan88
07-22-2007, 09:33 PM
from the time Raf signed up for Stuttgart, it was evident he would win -- felicito al toro manacori por su 23o titulo ganado

MariaV
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Nadal sees off Wawrinka to take Stuttgart title
Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:11 PM BST136

BERLIN (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal won his sixth title of the year on Sunday, seeing off a stiff challenge from unseeded Stanislas Wawrinka to win 6-4 7-5 in the final of the Stuttgart Cup.

The French Open champion, competing in his 16th straight clay-court final, was made to work hard by the Swiss world number 50 and came back from 5-2 down in the second set to take victory in just over two hours.

It was Nadal's second win in Stuttgart after his 2005 triumph and he improves his 2007 win-loss record to 56-8, with 31-1 on clay.

Wawrinka was out for three months earlier this year with a knee injury but pushed the 21-year-old Spaniard harder than any of his opponents at the Weissenhof this week and broke the top seed three times.

The Majorcan was playing in his first tournament since losing the final at Wimbledon to world number one Roger Federer earlier this month and has now won 93 of his 94 matches on clay since April 2005.

His only defeat came against Federer in the final of the Hamburg Masters in May.

Nadal had problems with his right knee earlier in the week which almost forced his withdrawal from the tournament. He was again wearing strapping on Sunday but showed no signs of discomfort.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyid=2007-07-22T161128Z_01_L22319064_RTRUKOC_0_UK-TENNIS-MEN-STUTTGART.xml

Nadal happy with sixth win in Stuttgart
Stuttgart, Germany
23 July 2007 09:06
World number two Rafael Nadal said he was pleased to win his sixth title of the year on Sunday when he beat unseeded Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka in 6-4, 7-5 in the Stuttgart final.

Despite taking the first set with relative ease, Nadal had to dig deep against the plucky Wawrinka who led 4-1 early in the second set and broke his opponent twice.

But triple French Open winner Nadal showed his class on his beloved clay by breaking Wawrinka's serve three times and needed just over two hours to seal the win -- his 93rd in 94 matches on clay.

In his 16th straight clay-court final, Nadal clinched an ATP-best sixth win from eight finals this year and his only defeat on clay this year came against world number one Roger Federer in Hamburg's ATP tournament in May.

"It has been a good week," said Nadal, who showed no signs of the persistent knee problem which had bothered him all week.

"I played well in this tournament and I wanted to get a win after my defeat at Wimbledon.

"It is a great tournament and I am looking forward to coming back again next year."

But for 22-year-old Wawrinka, it has been "a crazy week" and he revealed he received a SMS of support and tips from Swiss compatriot Federer before Sunday's final. :eek: :lol:

Having come into the tournament with just three match wins this year, due in part to a knee injury that had sidelined him for three months, it was only his third ATP final.

"I played pretty well, but he was simply too good. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with this crazy week," he said. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__sport/&articleid=314651

MariaV
07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Nadal Captures Fifth - and Final - Clay Court Title of 2007

Playing his final clay court match of the year, 2005 Stuttgart champion Rafael Nadal defeated Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4, 7-5 in his 16th consecutive clay final to win the MercedesCup title on Sunday. Nadal has won an ATP-best six titles in 2007.

Already the owner of a luxury Mercedes-Benz automobile from his 2005 victory in Stuttgart, Nadal donated his new C350 to his uncle and coach, Toni. "He needs one and I have the car from 2005, so this one is for him," Nadal said.

Wawrinka, the 22-year-old Swiss, broke Nadal for 3-1 leads in both sets. He also held four break points for a 5-1 lead in the second set. But three-time Roland Garros champion Nadal clawed his way back to win both sets, winning five consecutive games from 2-5 in the second set. He lost just five points during that five-game blitz.

Nadal finished his 2007 clay campaign with a 31-1 record and five clay crowns. He lost just three sets during those 31 victories.

He has not dropped a set during his Stuttgart title runs in 2005 and 2007.

Appearing in his 16th straight clay court final, Nadal clinched an ATP-best sixth title from eight finals this year. The 21-year-old left-hander has won 93 of his past 94 matches on clay, with his only loss coming to No. 1 Roger Federer in the title match of Masters Series Hamburg on May 20.

Nadal improved to a 56-8 record on the season by winning his second Stuttgart title in three years.

Nadal has been No. 2 a record 104 consecutive weeks in the ATP Rankings (since July 25, 2005).

Nadal is 18-1 lifetime in clay finals and his 23-5 mark in career finals on all surfaces is the highest winning percentage (.821) in the Open Era.

Wawrinka came into the tournament with just three match wins in 2007 due in part to a knee injury that had sidelined him for three months. He slipped to 1-2 in career ATP finals, having won his lone title in Umag one year ago.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Nadal: "Maybe I didn't play one of the best matches of my career today. There were a lot of mistakes, but that could have something to do with my opponent playing aggressively.

"It was difficult to lose the Wimbledon final, so I was happy to come here and win. It's an important and prestigious title on clay.

"My next tournaments are Montreal, Cincinnati and the US Open." Thank God he's taking a break. :D

Wawrinka: "I played a very good match against one of the best players in the world. I was a break up in the first set and 5-2 in the second set, but I played against the best player on clay and he was too good today.

"I am so sad to lose the car, but it has been a good week. I have a lot of confidence for the rest of the year."

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/news/news8.asp

Mimi
07-23-2007, 09:45 AM
any photos :D? i wanna see him handling the car to uncle toni :D

MariaV
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL Mimi, I don't think Toni came down from the stands to take the car. :lol:
But here some pics until Veyonce gets here.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070722/capt.fa1329cb2472404380d5da3d8fe20fc5.germany_tenn is_atp_kstu110.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070722/capt.e3c0aa6fc7bb4194b4061346d013e499.germany_tenn is_atp_kstu109.jpg

MariaV
07-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, and here another one for Mimi. ;)
http://www.mercedescup.de/typo3temp/pics/642c3c22aa.jpg

the_natural
07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/news/news8.asp

U can tell he needed all those tips and still couldnt beat rafiki only 3 breaks and rafa wasnt playing his best either.

Mimi
07-24-2007, 03:06 AM
thank you so much Maria :D

hi the natural :wavey:

WaynesWorld
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Some pics I´ve taken in Stuttgart, enjoy;)

lau-mza
07-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Thank you for the pics WaynesWorld. Can you tell me when did you take them? :D

WaynesWorld
07-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I took them last week during his practising and at his match against Kohlschreiber;)

yana
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
According to the spanish press, Rafa is the 12-th most influential Spaniard, surclassing even the ex-presidents.

Deportes
Rafa Nadal es más influyente que José María Aznar
Ángel Calleja
jueves, 26 de julio de 2007

PALMA.- Rafa Nadal es más influyente que ex presidentes de España (Aznar y Felipe González), grandes comunicadores (Luis del Olmo, Federico Jiménez Losantos), jueces estrella (Garzón, Grande-Marlaska), multimillonarios empresarios (Alicia Koplowitz, Juan José Hidalgo) e, incluso, más que la persona con más títulos nobiliarios del país: Mª Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, la Duquesa de Alba.

El ranking de los 100 personajes nacionales más influyentes, que cada año elabora la revista Actualidad Económica, tiene al tenista manacorí situado en un privilegiado puesto número 12, inmediatamente después del ex presidente del Real Madrid y dirigente de ACS, Florentino Pérez, y justo antes que José María Aznar.

Y es que Rafa es, junto a Fernando Alonso (puesto noveno), el máximo representante de la garra y la constancia, que arrastran a millones de seguidores nacionales e internacionales frente al televisor en cada torneo o cada carrera para seguir sus actuaciones.

Esto hace que ambos sean los deportistas con más tirón. Las marcas de ropa, relojes, coches o incluso los bancos se los disputan como imagen publicitaria; los patrocinadores deportivos les surten de ropa y de productos para competir; sus autógrafos son cotizados en todo el mundo y los niños quieren ser como ellos, tanto que se han hecho un hueco muy importante entre las mediáticas estrellas del fútbol.http://www.actualidad-economica.com/2007/08/INFLUYENTES.pdf
From nou.amic

Tnn74
07-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Whoa! thanx yana for the article, you go Rafito!!! :yeah:

mamasue
07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
According to the spanish press, Rafa is the 12-th most influential Spaniard, surclassing even the ex-presidents.

http://www.actualidad-economica.com/2007/08/INFLUYENTES.pdf
From nou.amic

From nou.amic at vamosbrigade.com :)

Tnn74
07-27-2007, 03:01 AM
From nou.amic at vamosbrigade.com :)

Always the main source for Rafa fans... thanx mamasue :hug: