Guillermo Coria's Talent Analysis... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guillermo Coria's Talent Analysis...

patzak
05-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Not sure if this thread has been done or not but I would like to get some opinions on Guillermo Coria's talent etc...

We all know that he has blind speed and excellent returning ability. But how do you grade his forehand, backhand etc...

Ok I would like to see what some of you think and rate him on this point system. There is 14 points you can allocate a MAX. of 5 on 1 attribute.
The attribute's are as follow:
Forehand -
Backhand -
Volley -
Serve -

If some of you can give me some more insight on how you grade him and what is better about him that would be great.
Also other then his speed, and returning ability, what else are his good qualities?

Guille's Girl
05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Forehand: I'll give him a 4 on that. In the Monte Carlo final, I think he was able to keep up with Rainer on the baseline pretty well with it, causing Rainer to hit alot of unforced errors. BUT I took the 1 from him cuz most of his errors come off his forehand.

Backhand: 4 again I guess. It's very effective, he can create some stellar angles with it (as with his forehand too), nice "down the line politics" as my mom would call it, BUT I took the one cuz I'm sure there's something wrong with it :p

Volley: 3.7...

Serve: Eh, what can I say? It's not powerful but VERY effective. He generally always has a very high first serve % and doesn't hit very many double-faults. OOO!!!! In that second set of the Nasdaq-100 Open!!!! It was a duece game but I can't remember the score. He was messin' Andy up in that damn corner!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! I think I almost died laughing at that shiz man!!! Andy was like "Oh c'mon!" LMAO!!!!!! Guille just kept serving that ace in the corner. Wasn't fast at all but had a mad wicked angle on it. Oh yeah!! The rating: 4.8.

Another thing he's got is some bad ass ground strokes. I thought Shalken was bad (and he is) but damn, Guilles' ground strokes are disturbing. Uhm, he's also mentally stronger than he was last year. That's a great thing cuz a match like yesterday, he would've lost last year. Last year he was...51-1 after winning the first set. Had a half-and-half record after losing the first set but he's really improved on that :yeah:

One thing that has also gotten better is his attitude on court. Last year, rooting for Guille went something like this: "Shut up Guille, let it go. Shut the hell up. Stop. Get on with the match. Damnit Guillermo, shut the fuck up!!" Now, it's much better. People can go on and on and on about how he whines but they must still be living in 2003. I've seen him "protest" about....3 calls this year. 1 in the Pacific Life open against Agassi. He didn't get into it with the Ump, but he kept looking at it and swearing under his breath. Tapped it once and I was like "Damnit let it go!" He protested 2 calls in the match against Gonzalez in the Nasdaq open. The first one he was just like "OMG I can't believe that was called in!" and just looked at the umpire but he let it go pretty quickly and got on with the match. The second call was a bit more. A call "on the line" was ruled wide and he went up to the net and said something sarcastic to the linesperson, then let it go. I heard he threw a hissy yesterday but oh well, so did a whole lot of other folks I bet.

One thing I wish he'd STOP doing is trying to hit a damn winner off of EVERYTHING!!! Damn ball going wide, he gon' hit the damn thing anyway. Shit! He did that like a BILLION times in the simis vs Gonzalez in Miami. And he always fucked it up. Man I was so pissed off!!! I threw everything possible at the damn tv. Let the damn ball fall wide!!!! Let it go!!! Ok?

Uhm, he needs to either work on his dropshots on HARDCOURTS, or don't do it. No Guille, it's not gonna go over the net and die like on clay. It's gonna BOUNCE, real HIGH, setting your opponent up for a very nice passing shot.

Oh he's got a few good tactics too. Those insane lobs man. LMAO!!! Some of dem lobs look like they just SHOULDN'T work. It be insane when those damn things be fallin' barely inside the baseline. Does he actually practice that? Maybe he calculated the the distance and the volocity at which he'd have to hit the ball, divided by the speed x direction of the wind...nah. LMAO!!!!
We all know about his BAM!!!! SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A BASELINE RALLY!!! dropshot. It's pretty insane on clay. Folks be like "Damn! I knew he was gonna do dat!!" just don't know WHEN he gon' do it. If he can get it straight on hardcourts, that'd be quite stellar.

He's doing pretty good on hardcourts this year too. I'm anxious too see....what happens in the summer. I'm guessing he's still gonna play all the European tournaments while alot of other players are gonna be trying out the US Open series. But if I'm correct, the US Open series is entirely on hardcourt. I think it's very important that he plays more tournaments on hard cuz I think he can be exceptionally great at it.

Ok! You shouldn't have asked cuz now you had to read all that up there ^. :p

Carito_90
05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
I threw everything possible at the damn tv

:haha: I did the same while watchin Roddick vs Moya match at the Nasdaq-100 :lol:

Forehand - 4
Backhand - 3.7
Volley - he doesn't go up to the net too much.. so i'll just give him a 3
Serve - 2.9 (I HAD to! lol)

Also other then his speed, and returning ability, what else are his good qualities?

Dropshots on clay :)

willie
05-19-2004, 09:32 PM
HERE GOES WHAT I THINK:

Forehand -4.5 POINTS, HIS BEST SHOT WHEN PLAYING IN A GOOD LEVEL.
Backhand -4 POINTS, IS VERY GOOD BUT NOT SO GOOD AS HIS FOREHAND.
Volley -2.5 POINTS, HE HAS TO IMPROVE IT.
Serve - 3 POINTS, HE DOESNT DO MANY ACES OR WINNING SERVES, BUT HE IS VERY REGULAR WITH THE POINTS HE WIN WITH HIS FIRST SERVE, ALWAYS AROUND 70%.

argiesf
05-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Forehand -4.
Backhand -4.5
Volley -2.5 imporve it baby :)
Serve - He needs to work on that serve coz is messing up his abs. Especially in hard courts and we'll see Wimbly. VAMOS MAGO!! :worship:
DROPSHOTS?? what about dropshots? ..he has one of the best dropshots in the world. :wavey:

Safin_Henman
05-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Guille's Girl > where do you live? how do you get to see his matches on tv??

i don't think i've seen Coria play enough to give him a talent analysis [i'm a pretty newby-fan :rolleyes: ]

pleano
06-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Look's like someone has been playing Topspin on Xbox.

Guille's Girl
06-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Guille's Girl > where do you live? how do you get to see his matches on tv??

i don't think i've seen Coria play enough to give him a talent analysis [i'm a pretty newby-fan :rolleyes: ]

Damn this is a late reply. Anyway I live in Mississippi...in USA...I don't get to see tennis...MENS tennis that is, unless it's an American event. No overseas stuff. No "foriegn" players in Grand Slams :sad: I just got lucky with the Pacific Life Open and the Nasdaq 100 open.

Pssh, I wish :rolleyes:

Carito_90
06-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I just got lucky with the Pacific Life Open and the Nasdaq 100 open.

U went to see it LIVE are you're complaining?! lmao!

gina_
06-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Actually what I think is the most amazing about Coria's game is his speed, incredible footwork and his inventiveness. He's so tricky and comes up with alot of unexpected shots that really throw opponents off. And of course, his incredible persistance that is so endearing. <3

He keeps viewers on their toes and it was like amazing to see when he gets to all these shots you think are impossible to get to.

gina_
06-03-2004, 11:16 AM

Lmao funny how someone should mention that. Maybe not Guille's Girl but in fact I'd just been playing topspin on my xbox! Lmaoo. I'm in a "career" and I just won the US Open (lol)...and that completes all 4 of my grandslams. Seriously, if I was half as good in real life, it'll be crazy.

I still think its funny how my 5"0, 99 pound game charactar has gone so far. Lmao

Guille's Girl
06-03-2004, 01:21 PM
U went to see it LIVE are you're complaining?! lmao!

Pssh, no? I haven't been out of the state of Mississippi in 10 years :rolleyes: I think I'm condemned to this state. If I can get a travel party together, we'll all go to TMC Houston at the end of the year. Wishful thinking.

He keeps viewers on their toes and it was like amazing to see when he gets to all these shots you think are impossible to get to.

Just read my signature :yeah: