Anything we would like to see on the official site? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anything we would like to see on the official site?

philben
05-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Occasionally i speak with the guy who updates the official site via email and he asks me if theres anything i want to see on it thats not there already.

Now although im quite a big fan i think there are some bigger fans here or maybe poeple with some better ideas than me, so i created this post for peoples ideas and perhaps if we can create some good ideas maybe they will be on the official site in the future!?! :D

I suggested things like training tips for any of us that want to try and play like guille, also things like how long he trains and practices for.

And things like his favourite foods, favourite places in the world, favourite animals etc......some of which we may know a bit about already.

LubiG
05-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Good idea Phil :)
Well personally i like the idea of the site having more of his personal preferences, like favorite color, music, etc cause it doesn't have much of that stuff

Guille's Girl
05-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Y'all got some good ideas!!! How about more pics of Federico?? Aww he's so cute. And lets see, they should add checkers to the games. Dude, no one can beat me in Checkers!!!! Stupid Simon. I can't stand that game!!! But I play it anyway :p They should make Guille greeting cards LMAO that'd be cool. I can do all the cards and they can just put them on the site lol. Just kidding :)

LubiG
05-09-2004, 01:50 PM
How about a Kiss Guille game?? (JUST KIDDING!!) :lol:

Guille's Girl
05-09-2004, 01:55 PM
LMAO I was just fixing to agree with you!!!

star
05-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah. I would like to know his personal preference too.

And also about his training regimen and his diet. :)

tegan
05-11-2004, 01:52 PM
And also about his training regimen and his diet

great idea, Star! i would love to know the diet regimen of several of the top players!! :yeah:
and Guille is my fave so, ...... cool! ;)

Guille's Girl
05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey does anybody know (Philben) if Guille does the english messages on his site? Cuz there be like, a hella bunch of typos :p

tennyfan
05-12-2004, 01:01 AM
I'd like to see an "Ask El Mago" section. Where fans can send in questions and then he posts the answers on the site.

I'd also like to see a video message in English, as the last one he left said he wasn't quite comfortable with that yet. But it would be interesting to see him try. At least with video, he can stop and start over if he gets lost.

I should also add that I'm VERY impressed that he takes the time to keep his fans informed through his website. Whatta guy. :-)

LubiG
05-13-2004, 01:28 AM
He's really good with his fans :)
I can't imagine him speaking in english... I think he understands it but no way he can speak it...

philben
05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
hi guilles girl there is a guy based in argentina and he runs the official site doing the translations.

i have forwarded all the ideas about what people would like to see.

the feedback so far from the guy who does the site is that he really appreciates everybodys new ideas, some of them he had ready and hopefully will be online soon, others will be developed for the future, he said he wants to bring new things in gradually to keep the site fresh feeling!

i think there maybe some audio about his preferences on the site soon ,i will ask him to post an english transcript also.

any new ideas you think of keep posting!!!thanks to all ,good work. :worship:

ps good idea tennyfan

Guille's Girl
05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks Philben!!!!!!!!!!!!! *big hug*

tegan
05-13-2004, 06:43 PM
yeah - un mil de gracias, Philben!!

and i would love to have some more info about your meeting with Guille! if you ever find the time (i'm sure you're busy!) could you PM me?

once again - thank you! :hug:

LubiG
05-14-2004, 01:02 AM
yay let's all hug philben!! :D *hugs*

Uhmmm... sorry 4 that, i have crazy moments... lol

argiesf
05-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Thanks Phil...good for you to post this here. I have also spoken with them in regards to their site and they are really nice guys. I think that a chat would be great. I saw you on one of the newspapers when you went to Argentina. You are huge fan of his!! Good to have you around in support of Guille.

PS I remember what you said in an interview...something that you like the passion he brings to the court. Yes! He is amazing!

LubiG
05-14-2004, 11:55 PM
argiesf i LOVE your nickname!! Sooo true! :) lol

star
05-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Passion :yippee:

I remember the very first time I saw Guille. He was playing in Houston, and I couldn't take my eyes off him. I liked the way he looked, but it wasn't because I thought he was sexy or anything like that. I liked his grace and his quiet movments between points. I loved the way he moved on the court. His game sparkled. He wasn't content to stay on the baseline but created imaginative shots.

:hearts:

LubiG
05-15-2004, 12:20 AM
The first time i saw Guille was on a sport program when they were saying he had beatten Agassi in RG. I had heard of him but never saw him, and i thought, WOW he's cute!!
Then some weeks later me and a friend found a tennis ball and named it Coria. And then i started watching his matchs, saving his pics from newspapers, finding out everything about him, coming here, etc etc :D

star
05-15-2004, 12:46 AM
You found a tennis ball and named it Coria.

:haha:

I love that!

philben
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
thanks for the hugs guys.

below is a short report on my trip, tegan wanted to know more so i thought i would post it for anyone else who was interested. i apologise to anyone who i have bored with the story before and for the lazy typing of no capitals and bad english!! :rolleyes:

i first learnt about him around the start of 2000 when i tennis book i was reading said he was an exciting player, with gonzo and bandy for the future, from the three i picked guille to follow the closest, becasue at the time they said he played a bit like rios which i though sounded fun as i liked his style but not always his attitude on court.

i decided to go to argentina to watch guille for the first time, i wanted to see him in the place he started his big journey.so before i arrived i bought a ticket for everyday of the ba tournament and had a shirt made especailly to support him.

i never went there expecting to meet him, more to support him, anyway it got to saturday and guille was waiting to enter for his match and i was near to the area where they wait i held up my shirt he looked over smiled and rasied his thumb, it was a nice touch,it showed me he appreciates his fans, it was a big moment for me!!

the match started and the steward from the tournament asked me some questions,where are you from and about the shirt, then soon arrived some local press to ask some more questions,then the steward said you will meet him after his semi-final match i didnt know what to say, i was shocked, i thought im just this small person and guille is the great tennis player, i think even if he spoke good english i wouldnt have many words to say.

anyway i went to the press conference and did a photo with him that day and wished him good luck for the final.as i left for the day some friends of romans(guilles brother)talked to me and asked if i wanted to go out with them, so that night we went out drunk to much beer and talked about guille alot.

next day the story was in the papers(that i travlled there to watch guille) and people wanted to talk with me, it was nice. guille won the final and then after he still had time to speak a few words we hugged i congratulated him and i got the photo you see on my avatar,i left there happy,it was one of the best weeks of my life so far, i will never forget.

Guille's Girl
05-15-2004, 12:08 PM
First time I saw Guille was on a RG highlight when he had took his shirt off in the simifinal against Verkerk. I was like "If he's in the simifinals, how come I ain't heard about him?" So anyway the next time I saw him was in Montreal...when he retired. At least he didn't start the match and THEN retire. But I was very disappointed. Then I saw him in Cinncy. Against Myrni (so I can't spell it) hey he injured himself chasing that damn ball in the rain. I was like "was it that crucial?" ok so then, ESPN didn't show the rest of that match. So I got to see him a little during the US Open. hahaha at the start of the quarterfinal match when he was trying to take that bandage. I didn't KNOW what he was doing but after I did realize he was bleed I was like "......you....IDIOT!!!!". I was watching the match by myself cuz I'm the most hardcore sports fan in my entire housewhole. Yes more than the guys. So my bro was on the phone and I told him to tell his friend to put it on CBS. Then I got my cell phone and called my sister and told her to put in on CBS. I couldn't let anybody miss it! Then he was wiping blood all over his shirt and broke Agassis' serve at the same time. I was....speechless. Ok yeah he lost but oh well. He qualified for TMC Houston. The match against Rain Man pissed me off. But the match against Moya was just stellar. I didn't WANT to see the match against Roddick so me and my bro decided that we'd predict the score then check it on the internet. I said, "Roddick won, 3 sets, last set 6,3 (or something, can't remember)" and my bro says "Second set tiebreak". So we look and HEY!! Unfortunately we were right. Man, that was the first (and last) time I ever cried for any athlete of any sport. But yeah ok that's my "story". Lleyton is dying as we speak. Go look at the pics thread ;)

kandykane
06-28-2004, 11:43 AM
why did we drop this tread?
think it would be great if they actually TAKEN our advise tho... haven't really seen much on his site lately

Y'all got some good ideas!!! How about more pics of Federico?? Aww he's so cute. And lets see, they should add checkers to the games. Dude, no one can beat me in Checkers!!!! Stupid Simon. I can't stand that game!!! But I play it anyway :p They should make Guille greeting cards LMAO that'd be cool. I can do all the cards and they can just put them on the site lol. Just kidding :)

GG, i totally agree, not the checkers part tho, i suck! but :hearts: Federico *drools* and post cars :D

i wish they'd update the photo galleries... ;)

Micca
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
I agree Kandykane! MORE PICTURES!!!

MissPovaFan
06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Im puzzled by one thing on Coria's website and thats the 'In 2004 you can challenge El Mago' game. What is it exactly?

Washa Koroleva
06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Maybe something with his family. For example age, birthday, nationality, birth place and stuff of his mother, dad, brothers and Carla.

and more pictures AND wallpapers ;)
maybe a screensaver for download and some videos :p
hope that isn't too much :worship:

luckystar
06-28-2004, 01:08 PM
^ I totally agree with you Keira!

daze11
06-28-2004, 03:27 PM
TWO things: i would like to see a SCROLL bar!!! has anyone noticed that? For the english, I have to COPY ALL and then PASTE into a word document!!! That's the only way I can read past the bar about "El Mago will Challenge You!!" ... AND you cant read the text that is under that bar on-line, anyway. So TWO reasons I have to cut & paste the info into word. Many people probably think the writing just ends at the top portion of the screen.

and an english editor...

Km50
06-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Ya, more pictures, and maybe some videos would be good!!

Km50
06-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Ya i've noticed that!! That site really needs a scroll bar! I have to do the same thing, copy and paste... it's stupid !

Washa Koroleva
06-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Ya i've noticed that!! That site really needs a scroll bar! I have to do the same thing, copy and paste... it's stupid !

same problem here. It would be great if that changes :D

daze11
06-28-2004, 07:21 PM
also, i realize i learned more about willy from american tennis announcer mary carillo than from his website, and for many of us outside of argentina who were not in the loop in his earlier years, it sounds like he has an amazing story. It really helps build a relationship with a player if you know his background - in this, i mean how he was named after vilas (everyone knows), but how he was selected specially from such a young age to receive the attention of the academy, and how they had bake sales to raise money to keep his access to tennis training going, and his arrival in the US and needing to care for himself in various ways, then the vitamin supplement scandal that took away money, time, & momentum from his career, and his lawsuit against the company. And then how he raised so many ranking points just from 2003 to 2004, compiling the brilliant winning streak on clay. All that info totally made me more interested in him.

The public needs to feel like they've come along with a player in order to create the great bonds that can exist between players and tennis audiences, so --maybe there is this info in spanish-- but on the english site (the audience who probably know a lot less about his roots to begin with), this type of information is not available and is very important to having a complete site.

daze11
06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
like adding articles like THIS one to the site!! so informative...

Cry for Coria today, and root for him tomorrow

BY CHARLES BRICKER
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

PARIS - (KRT) - I first met Guillermo Coria in the days before the start of the 2002 Nasdaq-100, when he was barely 20 years old, had mastered only one English phrase (``for sure'') and had only recently returned to the ATP Tour after a seven-month suspension for ingesting a banned substance.

Being from Argentina and so close to Chile, it was easy for people to compare him to another smallish player with spectacular speed and wizard-like hands - Marcelo Rios.

But after a few visits with Coria, it becomes delightfully obvious he and Rios don't twin at all. They have similar skills, but Rios is a brooding, whiny player with no real love of the game.

Coria, by contrast, is a very decent young man with a deep desire to become a great tennis player and who has profited by the slap in the face he received when he tested positive for doping. It should be noted that the ATP agreed that, like many other players, he took the banned substance unknowingly.

Since then, also like many players, he has refused to take dietary supplements or even energy drinks during changeovers in matches because of the chance, however remote, that they might be contaminated, and that might have contributed to his cramping in the French Open final he lost to Gaston Gaudio on Sunday.

When Coria broke up and began sobbing during his post-match news conference, it reaffirmed my belief in his character and integrity. It tugged at you to listen to him talk about his continuing series of physical maladies, and when he said, ``I want out of this story,'' you were nearly ready to cry with him.

By all rights, he should be the French Open champion. His skills are so far ahead of Gaudio's that there is a touch of the ridiculous that Gaudio is enshrined today as the No. 1 player at Roland Garros.

Yes, Gaudio deserves the title. You win the final point, you deserve the trophy. Fine. But we also all know he was completely outplayed for two and a half sets. Coria destroyed him, committing only 13 unforced errors in shooting out to a 6-0, 6-3 lead and took Gaudio completely out of form by almost never allowing him to hit more than one or perhaps two backhands in succession.

If Gaudio tried to manipulate him into a backhand-to-backhand rally, which is his greatest strength, Coria would play a safe ball down the line, with a few feet of margin for error, forcing Gaudio to go to his weaker forehand.

But neither did Coria allow Gaudio to get grooved on the forehand side by mixing the rallies. Playing 8 feet behind the baseline, Gaudio decided not to take Coria's shots early but to try to out-rally him. He had no chance until Coria began to cramp.

And so Gaudio has one the one and only Grand Slam of his career. Like Albert Costa, who won here two years ago, he will not win another major.

It's difficult not to be happy for him. Gaudio is real lunch-pail player who has had to scratch and work for every peso he got as a junior to buy equipment, hire coaches and to purchase flights to tournaments from Buenos Aires. There was no national tennis federation to help him.

He's a career top-50 player who will flirt with the top 10 after this triumph, then fall back with the start of the grass-court and then the hard-court seasons.

As for Coria, he can have the world if he can overcome his emotions. He has many of the skills you find with Andre Agassi - great hand-eye coordination, excellent service returning, great anticipation and strong ground strokes off both sides.

He doesn't yet have Agassi's mental strength or the improved serve Andre cultivated in the middle years of his career. But that can come because he has another of the traits that Agassi solidified five years ago - complete commitment to the game.

A day before the French Open final, I asked Coria if he regrets never having played Pete Sampras. He had a beautiful reply and one that showed how much character he possesses.

Yes, he said. He would have loved to play Sampras, but not on clay. On grass. He wanted to face Pete on Sampras' best surface, to test himself in the most difficult conditions.

He's just 22, not much older than Andy Roddick and the same age as Roger Federer. Three different styles, three great players. Despite the disgrace of this loss in Paris, Coria will be back, and men's tennis, at the very elite level of the game, is in very good shape because of him.

---

© 2004 South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

LubiG
06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm still waiting for that kiss Guille game... ;)
No, seriously (!!!) the one thing i'd love to see there would be his personal preferences. Like fave color, food, music, etc.

... and then also the game. jk jk! :lol:

daze11
06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm still waiting for that kiss Guille game... ;)
No, seriously (!!!) the one thing i'd love to see there would be his personal preferences. Like fave color, food, music, etc.

... and then also the game. jk jk! :lol:
they listed these things on one of the matches...i'll have to check through and see if i can find them for you, but i am sad to say....depending on your taste, of course...that he wrote 'guns & roses' as his favorite band. i was a bit disappointed in that. but hey, whatever rocks you... :angel:

Guille's Girl
06-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Im puzzled by one thing on Coria's website and thats the 'In 2004 you can challenge El Mago' game. What is it exactly?

Yeah you can win stuff....not just ANY kind of stuff. But stuff like....stuff he's worn :eek: I want his shorts!! :haha: Yeah they haven't fixed the stupid game and I'm sad cuz I want to win something :sad:

but i am sad to say....depending on your taste, of course...that he wrote 'guns & roses' as his favorite band. i was a bit disappointed in that. but hey, whatever rocks you...

:haha: I was thinking exact same thing. I was like "somebody get this kid some Led Zepplin..." :haha:

daze11
06-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Yeah you can win stuff....not just ANY kind of stuff. But stuff like....stuff he's worn :eek: I want his shorts!! :haha: Yeah they haven't fixed the stupid game and I'm sad cuz I want to win something :sad:

:haha: I was thinking exact same thing. I was like "somebody get this kid some Led Zepplin..." :haha:
:haha: you're right on both counts! fuck his throwing a shirt to a ballgirl, lets have those shorts!...NOW! :lol: and if it was led zepplin...thats when he officially transitions from a boy into a man! :lol: ok, he has 2 more years to figure it out. ;)