nottingham [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

nottingham

Via
06-16-2007, 11:02 PM
it's been ages since i've started a thread for arnaud, so let's hope i won't jinx him.

he's drawn thomas johannsson in singles. also playing with seb in the doubles. so working hard to perfect the grass form... (which wasn't bad at all at queen's, but we'll see... nottingham is richard's territory :p )

Via
06-18-2007, 11:47 PM
nottingham has decided to post arnaud to court 4 on tuesday with both his matches to be played over there. good luck!

higherlaw
06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Arnaud CLEMENT vs Thomas JOHANSSON 75 62

let's hope he can string two wins together again in singles. doubles coming up soon...

now i realize if he beats gabashvili next he'll have to play richard.

Hangdog
06-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh Seb and Arnaud are together in action again :D 6/1 6/4, well done guys :yeah:
Gabashvili is next? Good luck to Arnaud then, a match against any Russian can always turn to be a tough one.

06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Arnaud :bigclap: He has been playing well :)

Via
06-20-2007, 12:31 AM
mtf's resident nottingham reporter, jez, has a report on arnaud's match against johansson... funny observations and it won't waste your time following his reports throughout this week!

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5547147&postcount=84

06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Arnaud wins again :bigclap:

Via
06-21-2007, 12:45 AM
this is another treat for arnaud/seb fans, from jez...

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5551282&postcount=100

:lol:

higherlaw
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
this is another treat for arnaud/seb fans, from jez...

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5551282&postcount=100

:lol:

thanks for the tip on these reports! this latest one is so funny! :haha: guess they're a little nostalgic for the old days.

Via
06-21-2007, 11:13 PM
thanks for the tip on these reports! this latest one is so funny! :haha: guess they're a little nostalgic for the old days.

like there aren't too many good days left? :awww:

i hope jez won't mind me reproducing the best bits here... of course we should go to visit his thread to read all the stories and look at the piccies :hearts:

Hutchins/Goodall def. Clement/Grosjean 2/6 7/5 (17/15) - this was one match. I joined it in the 2nd set, with the French duo having taken the opener 6/2. I'm not sure about their attitude earlier on, but by this point they didn't seem very focused! I'm not saying they tanked, but they didn't appear to look all that bothered! At the change of ends they slouched down in their chairs and were in a fit of giggles a number of times. Whether they won or lost a point, they were always smiling and joking around, which was fun to see, but perhaps a little difficult for Goodall and Hutchins given that they were, understandably, thoroughly determined and serious about winning. In fact, if I didn't know that Seb was married, at times I would have thought that he had the hots for our dear Arnaud...he smiled sweetly at him in the closing stages ( ), and once when the pair headed for the changeover, what was expected to be a customary handclap (in doubles) seemed to be a little more when he momentarily appeared to be leading Arnie by the hand towards their chairs. Of course, this was all in jest, and the two obviously have a close friendship. However, I have to say that he did almost look impressed when Arnie unintentionally almost hit a smash into Hutchins's privates...Arnie was instantly apologetic, but Seb was struggling hard to hide a wide grin and when Arnie turned round to face him the two started giggling...again! In the closing stages the Frenchmen threatened to pull through, and gained a vital mini-break in the deciding tiebreak to forge ahead **8/7. But Arnie dropped both points on his serve (1 in a horrible line overrule which broke his good spirit for a few minutes) and that was to be the last real chance they had of winning the match (despite holding a few other mps on the Brits' serves). I'm really gutted that Seb has now left. Hopefully I'll get to see him again in person (this was the first time) and I wish him all the best at Wimbledon.

:o all his smilies are gone! nothing is like the original report :p

sophia_c
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
OMG..I just checked the livescore and he's winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

higherlaw
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
...and he WON! 64 63 :)

seems like they moved indoors because of the weather. he'll play either bjorkman or PHM--they each have a set right now.

ok, it's bjorkman in a few hours. :rain:

higherlaw
06-22-2007, 05:26 PM
pretty good two weeks. two wins a day, twice.

he beat karlovic last week so maybe he can do it again. :rolleyes: final on saturday, not sunday.

Marine
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com//ng/sp/eurosport/20070622/17/3561708101.jpg

Good result !

ATP Nottingham - Arnaud Clément a joué son "meilleur tennis" pour battre en une seule journée Richard Gasquet et Jonas Bjorkman, tombeur de Mathieu, sous un toit de Nottingham. La pluie a imposé aux organisateurs de quitter le gazon pour des courts indoor. Clément jouera Karlovic en finale.

Arnaud Clément (FRA) bat Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) 6-2, 6-4

Battu par Nicolas Mahut en demi-finale du Queen's, Arnaud Clément disputera la troisième finale sur gazon de sa carrière à Nottingham. Contrairement à ses campagnes sur l'herbe néerlandaise de 's-Hertogenbosch de 2002 et 2003, c'est sur dur que l'Aixois a remporté ses deux dernières batailles.

Un paradoxe qui amusera ce joueur aussi facétieux que tenace. Il précise d'ailleurs à ces interlocuteurs anglais qui l'interroge à la sortie du court - ou plutôt encore sur le court, que malgré sa taille il est ravi de sa "performance au service." Il n'a quasiment perdu aucun point aujourd'hui derrière sa première balle.

"J'ai joué mon meilleur tennis pour sortir Richard et Jonas lors de la même journée, c'est sensationnel pour moi", conclut-il avec un large sourire sur un visage tout de même marqué par l'effort redoublé.

La finale qui se profile lui propose encore Ivo Karlovic. Au Queen's, il l'avait battu 7-5, 6-4 en quarts de finale. Alors ? faut-il le jouer sur dur ou sur gazon. "Sur gazon", répond clairement Clément. "Son service rebondit moins haut".

"Mais son jeu ne résume pas au service, ajoute-t-il, il ne faut pas lui laisser trop de temps pour ajuster ses coups en fond de court et il possède une excellente volée."

Arnaud Clément possède une occasion en or de s'imposer sur gazon et sur dur en même temps. Un exploit qui le mettrait dans des conditions idéales avant de retrouver son compatriote Nicolas Mahut au permier tour de Wimbledon. Un finaliste du Queen's face à un finaliste ou un vainqueur de Nottingham, on a hâte de voir ça...

From ATP:
Clement: "It has been a very, very good day for me. It is strange when you change surface, you only practise for 30 minutes this morning and you play your best two matches in a row."

[On meeting Karlovic in the final]: "It is always tough against him. I played a very, very good match last week. It will be tough to be the same tomorrow, but we will see. I hope we will play on grass. Against him it is always - the difference is two points in the set. You have to be aggressive. If he has too much time to play he is very dangerous."

Richard :retard:

Via
06-22-2007, 10:47 PM
wow he must be a happy boy right now, win or lose, i don't think he's been feeling so good this year! all that giggling is well deserved lol

Marine
06-23-2007, 11:42 AM
He beat Bjorkman 6/2 6/4 and will play Karlovic in final ! :)

aliasthad
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi,

Don't know if anyone saw it, but Arnaud was interviewed on Sky Sports right after beating Bjorkman. The interview was in English and it was very sweet, just saying he preferred grass to hard court and it had been a good week for him. At the end the interviewer said one day Arnaud can interview him and he (the interviewer) will have to answer in French! (since it was obviously tough to be barraged with a whole load of questions in English!). I thought he answered just fine, very cute, and Arnaud patted the interviewer on the shoulder and had a big grin on his face in response to that!

Good luck in the final!

:cool:

Marine
06-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Karlovic beat arnaud in final 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 :sad:

Via
06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
so close and still not a title :(

yes i think the more he wins in english-speaking countries, the better his english is getting :)

but better on grass than hard court? what's he thinking, he can win wimbledon? :scratch:

aliasthad
07-03-2007, 01:13 PM
but better on grass than hard court? what's he thinking, he can win wimbledon? :scratch:

It was in response to the interviewer asking his opinion about the fact that they suddenly had to play indoors on a hard court at Nottingham instead of continuing to play on grass as it rained too much - so I think he meant that he'd have preferred to continue playing the grass tournament on grass!

:wavey:

Via
07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
thanks, now he sounds smarter to me!