Rafa to take Wimbledon like a rain-delaying storm [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa to take Wimbledon like a rain-delaying storm

Pages : [1] 2

Johnny Groove
06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
:wavey: :dance:

MariaV
06-15-2007, 07:02 PM
:yeah:
Rafa looks pretty good on grass doesn't matter what the hatas say :) He just needs some rest now and then get ready to take down Fed. ;)

yana
06-15-2007, 07:45 PM
According to our previous list...

IW - :worship:
Miami - :(
Rome - :worship:
Hamburg - :(
Paris - :worship:
Queens - :(
Wimbledon - :worship: , right?

tangerine_dream
06-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Good luck to Rafa at Wimby. If he manages to defend his finalist points I will be shocked and awed. Not that I think he's a fluke on grass but more impressed that he's dead serious about winning Wimbledon one day. :eek:

For a good laugh, check out the Fedtard forum's Wimbledon thread. It's supposed to be about Roger but of course all they talk about in there is Rafa. :cool:

Johnny Groove
06-15-2007, 10:56 PM

yep :yeah:

Good luck to Rafa at Wimby. If he manages to defend his finalist points I will be shocked and awed. Not that I think he's a fluke on grass but more impressed that he's dead serious about winning Wimbledon one day. :eek:

For a good laugh, check out the Fedtard forum's Wimbledon thread. It's supposed to be about Roger but of course all they talk about in there is Rafa. :cool:

oh, those Fedtards, so obsessed :lol:

Metis
06-16-2007, 03:06 AM

:haha: There is always more talk about Rafa in the Federer forum than here.

Xristos
06-16-2007, 04:38 AM
Vamooooooooooos!

yana
06-16-2007, 01:39 PM
:haha: There is always more talk about Rafa in the Federer forum than here.

But I understand them. What can you talk about Federer? It must be so boring to be a Fed fan.

l_mac
06-16-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm still bemused by all the animosity shown toward Rafa in particular, but really quite a few other players too, by the Fed fans on MTF. I can only conclude that they're shit scared of Rafa and what he can do to Federer.

I hope Rafa doesn't let me down at Wimbledon. I'm meant to be spending the summer in Italy with my b/f (he works there) and I've delayed my departure till the Monday July 9th with a myriad of excuses :lol: I'll be pissed if he doesn't make the 2nd week.

guga2120
06-17-2007, 12:24 AM
For a good laugh, check out the Fedtard forum's Wimbledon thread. It's supposed to be about Roger but of course all they talk about in there is Rafa.
so sad.

Patxy
06-17-2007, 12:48 AM
(Not only on his forum but in another certain player's too, specially after Hamburg final... :cool: )... and no need to check Fedup's forum, GM is enough for me at least :lol:

But I understand them. What can you talk about Federer? It must be so boring to be a Fed fan.

:lol:
Rafa...:worship: :hug: :rocker2:
We trust you to kick butt in Wimbledon, you're in a great form, we know you can...:worship: :yeah:

Sunset of Age
06-17-2007, 01:08 AM
I see quite a bit of talk about Fed over here, too... he's mentioned in nearly every post at least. :shrug:

Live-and-Let-Live, people. :angel:

l_mac
06-17-2007, 01:16 AM
I see quite a bit of talk about Fed over here, too... he's mentioned in nearly every post at least. :shrug:

In fairness, there's nowhere near the level of Fed talk here as there is Rafa bashing in the Fed forum. The MTF Fedtards and the general animosity toward Rafa on GM are more often subject to discussion than Roger.

Castafiore
06-17-2007, 07:55 AM
he's mentioned in nearly every post at least. :shrug:
Nope. He isn't. Not even by a long shot.

And as far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't talk about Federer too much in here unless it has real relevance with what Nadal is doing. I'm happy to see that most people in here are not that obsessed with other players out of sheer jealousy, frustration,...

yana
06-17-2007, 04:40 PM

by you maybe...

garad
06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
:haha: :haha:

Federer is mentioned in 11 out of 15 posts here.

Metis
06-18-2007, 04:17 AM

:haha: :haha:

Federer is mentioned in 11 out of 15 posts here.

That's because of the nature of the discussion. We are talking about the Federer forum not Federer himself :p.
Usually in this forum Fed is only mentioned when he is playing against Nadal or in relevant threads (like the No1 position in the rankings). In the Fed forum all the Nadal matches are discussed in detail, and most of it is people rooting for the adversary, praying that Rafa loses, gloating over a loss and the usual hater remarks: ugly tennis, pig, etc... You would think that with all the triumphs Roger offers them those fans would be much happier and more gracious towards an opponent with whom their idol is in friendly terms. :shrug:

Mimi
06-18-2007, 04:33 AM
you took words from my mouth :worship:

just go to GM, when roger lost his FO against rafa, we did not jeer him like the fedtards did to rafa when he lost the quarter final in queen's ::rolleyes

That's because of the nature of the discussion. We are talking about the Federer forum not Federer himself :p.
Usually in this forum Fed is only mentioned when he is playing against Nadal or in relevant threads (like the No1 position in the rankings). In the Fed forum all the Nadal matches are discussed in detail, and most of it is people rooting for the adversary, praying that Rafa loses, gloating over a loss and the usual hater remarks: ugly tennis, pig, etc... You would think that with all the triumphs Roger offers them those fans would be much happier and more gracious towards an opponent with whom their idol is in friendly terms. :shrug:

Tnn74
06-18-2007, 05:55 AM
you took words from my mouth :worship:

just go to GM, when roger lost his FO against rafa, we did not jeer him like the fedtards did to rafa when he lost the quarter final in queen's :rolleyes

because we are Rafa fans, and we do not need to discuss Roger :angel:

garad
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM

semantics

MariaV
06-19-2007, 06:52 PM
And what's this garad person doing here?
As Mimi said you can go back to your Fed forum and bash Rafa there as much as you like. :D :wavey:

l_mac
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
semantics

No, not unless MTF Fedtards=Federer.

Mimi
06-20-2007, 03:17 AM
hello, are you lost?? can't you see, this is Rafa's forum, not roger's forum, just go there and continue to worship your roger and bash rafa there, don't come here, your masterpiece is too great for us ordinary people to understand :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

actually if you are so sure that roger is the greatest, and nadal is nothing to him, theres no need to bash nadal, bashing nadal again, shows your uncertainty and insecure feelings on whether roger is unbeatable :D :D

semantics

RogiFan88
06-20-2007, 03:32 AM
FYI: Rafa will be in London Wednesday. ;)

Mimi
06-20-2007, 04:29 AM
i hope he plays on next monday so that i can watch him on tv, coz after that i am going to france, won't be able to see him :angel:
FYI: Rafa will be in London Wednesday. ;)

l_mac
06-20-2007, 07:56 AM
i hope he plays on next monday so that i can watch him on tv, coz after that i am going to france, won't be able to see him :angel:

If you're talking about the opening Monday, I don't think he will because the Men's Champion always opens play - that makes it probable that the top half of the draw will play Monday, and Rafa should be in the bottom half.

Mimi
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
opps, no rafa :mad: , but thanks still :wavey:
If you're talking about the opening Monday, I don't think he will because the Men's Champion always opens play - that makes it probable that the top half of the draw will play Monday, and Rafa should be in the bottom half.

Foxy
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
It is good for Rafa to play on Tuesday. The later he plays the better. The grass won't be so fresh. So as the days pass by the court will become slower and Rafa will have more grip with the ground.

Xristos
06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
True, so is Rafa at Wimbly yet?

Sunset of Age
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
You would think that with all the triumphs Roger offers them those fans would be much happier and more gracious towards an opponent with whom their idol is in friendly terms. :shrug:

Well said. I'd only like to add: and vice versa. :)

belco
06-20-2007, 04:35 PM

WRONG

Baghdatis72
06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
If he gets a good draw then he might threaten to win Wimbledon but if not then it will be very hard. I think that Mahut, Berdych, Murray, Tursunov, Ljubicic and maybe Djokovic would threaten him if they met at some point of the draw. Federer will probably be in the final and he would be the greatest obstacle for anyone of course.

Castafiore
06-20-2007, 05:11 PM
^ Oh, I can see a couple of very tough customers for Rafa if I think of all sort of possible Wimbledon draws so I'm going to just enjoy match per match and refuse to get drawn in by this "rivalry" issue in Wimbledon.

I'd only like to add: and vice versa. :)
Okay...I'm curious:
Do you do this 50/50 - :angel: thing over at the Federer forums as well or do you tend to keep out of that sort of thing there? I mean, when Federer fans talk about Nadal, take digs at him, talk about Nadal fans,...do you also grace them with "and vice versa", "live and let live" quotes?

Is your 50/50 record perfect? (I can't tell since I've been staying away from any sort of Federer forum for over a year now...in fact, I don't really visit the player's forum that much in general).

yana
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm curious: why these Fedtards keep visiting Rafa's forum? Do they get bored talking about Fed? It's Fed that boring? :confused:

MariaV
06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
hello, are you lost?? can't you see, this is Rafa's forum, not roger's forum, just go there and continue to worship your roger and bash rafa there, don't come here, your masterpiece is too great for us ordinary people to understand :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

actually if you are so sure that roger is the greatest, and nadal is nothing to him, theres no need to bash nadal, bashing nadal again, shows your uncertainty and insecure feelings on whether roger is unbeatable :D :D

Mimi dear, have a good trip, and we'll sure cheer for Rafa for you too! :hug: :wavey:

And Baghdatis72, Marcos is doing well on grass too, semifinalist last year! :D I hope he'll do well at Wimbledon this year too! :wavey:

Sunset of Age
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
^Okay...I'm curious:
Do you do this 50/50 - :angel: thing over at the Federer forums as well or do you tend to keep out of that sort of thing there? I mean, when Federer fans talk about Nadal, take digs at him, talk about Nadal fans,...do you also grace them with "and vice versa", "live and let live" quotes?

Is your 50/50 record perfect? (I can't tell since I've been staying away from any sort of Federer forum for over a year now...in fact, I don't really visit the player's forum that much in general).

Okay, some answers... ;)

Yes, I post at the Fed forum as well, in a like-wise manner. Of course, people take digs at Raf over there, and I respect that to a certain level, as I think people are entitled to their opinion - but NOT when it becomes what I see as unfair (which may or may not be the adequate wording here, but I can't find a better word to describe what I mean).

If people don't like Rafa's style of playing and express that, I won't join in in the discussion, as to me people are entitled to that opinion. We don't all like the same things after all. But - when people make false accusations, or misinterpret Rafa's words or intentions, I'm the first one to point it out to them. For instance, after Rafa's loss at RG, someone suggested that Raf's kind words for Rogi were fake, i.e. that his respect for Rogi is fake.
Well, I can tell you we had a fine discussion on that over there... :devil: :p

Of course, there are a couple of real Fedtards over there that have put me on their ignore-list, but I can't be bothered with that. I'm sure there are Rafatards out there who don't trust me either. Their loss, not mine.
And yes, live and let live is my credo, wherever, whenever. Or addressing this subject in particular: if THEY can get along fine, why can't we? :angel:

Whether my 50/50 record is perfect... I don't know, and I honestly don't think it's possible. It varies, for instance depending on which tournament/surface they are playing (I wanted Rogi to win RG this year, as I'll root for Rafa to do so at Wimbly), their results as of late (if either of them appears to be in a kind of slump I'll root for him a little more than I perhaps would do if that guy was winning all the time), and the like.
But whenever they play, I'll be rooting for both my fav players. The only trouble coming up is when they play each other, of course - and then I just hope that the one that plays best that day will be the winner.

I usually don't visit player's forums that much either - I usually just lurk around for pictures and information, and post my occasional comment, usually on match results and the like. And yes, if either of 'my' players performs badly, you'll hear me loud and clear, too. ;)

Sunset of Age
06-20-2007, 06:33 PM
And Baghdatis72, Marcos is doing well on grass too, semifinalist last year! :D I hope he'll do well at Wimbledon this year too! :wavey:

Oh yes - and he reached the final in Halle this year, so he's in good form! :D

l_mac
06-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Right, back on topic after pages of FedFan talk!
Angela from vamosbrigade posted this pic of Rafa leaving Mallorca for London today.

http://upload8.postimage.org/925888/rafawimbledon2007.jpg

Baghdatis72
06-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Mimi dear, have a good trip, and we'll sure cheer for Rafa for you too! :hug: :wavey:

Yeah he's good on grass but he doesn't have the mental strength to beat Nadal.

Mimi
06-21-2007, 02:27 AM
thank you so much my dear angel Maria :hug: :smooch:

may be i will be lucky enough to get some coverage at the hotel? :confused: , but may be no time to watch coz we HK people are very greedy, the tour schedule is always very tight :devil:

speaking of wimby, i can never forgotr the 01 wimby, i watched the semi between goran and tim at tv when i was in Denmark, i watched till he lost the 3rd set 0:6 before i had to go out for dinner, i was so sad, thinking he was going to lose, then the other day, i took the plane back to HK, but then OMG, the match was not yet finished due to rain, and at last goran won :eek: :woohoo: :yippee:

mallorn
06-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Mimi, I hope you have a great time in France. :wavey:

You cannot be serious, you're telling us to "live and let live"?! :rolleyes: Roger is hardly ever mentioned on this subforum, unlike Rafa over on the Federer forum, which is the most vicious, obsessive, anti-Rafa place on MTF, GM included.

Moving on...
True, so is Rafa at Wimbly yet?
He went back to London (with Xisca) yesterday and is staying with Feli in the same house as last year. He was to have a practice session with Jamie Baker yesterday in the evening. Jamie seems really in awe of Rafa… :lol:

IT'S BAKER vs NADAL ON COURT AT WIMBLEDON (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.1483779.0.its_baker_v_nadal_on_court_a t_wimbledon.php)

Per Spanish media, Rafa is also scheduled to play an exhibition with Charly on Friday, at Fortis Tennis Classic.

MariaV
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Aniaaaaaaa is back!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

How are you doing? :)

mallorn
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi sweetheart, I've been fine, just a bit busy. ;)

How are you? :hug:

MariaV
06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Baah I'm busy too! As always! :( :mad: :rolleyes:
Trying to make time for Wimbledon next week! ;)
And holidays in July - during the 2nd week of Wimbledon! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

We need to catch up on msn some day.

mallorn
06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll be glued to my laptop for the next three months, so we'll surely talk on msn. :lol:

A holiday, nice! :D Where are you going?

MariaV
06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh, glued, no need to be glued to your laptop, I am going away from my laptop for nice summer days. :lol:
Did you just get a laptop?
So I don't need to help out here at all :cool: With smilie-ing Rafa's pressers and stuff :lol:

mallorn
06-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, there's no way to avoid it - I must remain glued to the damn thing! :lol: (I've always had a laptop).

I like how you smilie the pressers, so if you only have the time... ;)

Ok, break's over, I'd better get down to work. :sad: :wavey:

MariaV
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Why do you MUST remain glued to it? :awww:
What are you working on? Some translation?

I'll be around during Wimby but not all the time. :lol: I can do the pressers then. :D

Xristos
06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks sweetness.

yana
06-21-2007, 06:18 PM
He went back to London (with Xisca) yesterday and is staying with Feli in the same house as last year.

He is not going to stay with Xisca?

Castafiore
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Rafa's blogging from Wimbledon for The Times, starting Monday! :)

See the advertisement for it here:
The Rafael Nadal Blog (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/)

Alexandy
06-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Who'd want to stay with Xisca when you could stay with Feli? :hearts: :lol: But seriously, I don't think he's staying with only Feli, didn't they both have family who stayed there as well? Including Xisca. I know there were plenty of pictures of Rafa with Xisca last year.

Rafa's blogging from Wimbledon for The Times, starting Monday!

The Rafael Nadal Blog

I guess Rafa loves the blogging. :) Though I want him to finish his RG blog first. I want to know what he felt winning RG for the third time. He seemed a bit sad and subdued afterwards.

tangerine_dream
06-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Nadal is fucked, Bud Collins says Federer won't win Wimbledon for a fifth time (which means he will):

Nadal to deny Federer coveted Wimbledon record

Only one player in the Open era has won five straight Wimbledon men's singles titles.

Bjorn Borg accomplished the feat from 1976-1980.

Roger Federer is seeking his fifth straight Wimbledon crown.

His biggest obstacle to reaching that goal may be Rafael Nadal, who beat Federer for the French Open title earlier this month, has an 8-4 career record against the Swiss star, and took Federer to four sets before losing to him in last year's championship match at the All-England Club.

Federer has reigned supreme on grass, but in somewhat of a shocker Nadal will beat him in the Wimbledon final, and keep him from equaling Borg’s record.

BUD COLLINS: DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?

AGREE

Whether it's Nadal or somebody else nailing Federer, it won't be five straight Wimbledon titles for the World No. 1.

Perhaps he was more deflated by his recent loss in Paris than he let on. Federer skipped playing a grasscourt tournament he usually plays and wins before Wimbledon, and maybe that could work against him at least early in the London fortnight.

Federer's obsession to win the French Open got to him, and he failed to put his strengths into action consistently against Nadal, who wormed his way deeper into the Swiss star's psyche by beating him in the Roland Garros final. That loss likely drained the confidence Federer felt about facing Nadal after he beat the Spaniard on clay in Hamburg prior to the French Open.

Now a new historic pressure point: match Borg's mark on the lawns. Federer needs to win Wimbledon more than ever to assuage the misery of Paris just a couple of weeks back. Nadal came close in last year's title bout on grass, going four sets in a solid tilt with Federer, and the Spaniard's confidence and feel for the grass are expanding.

That being the case, Nadal has nothing to lose at Wimbledon and everything to gain. If he takes the title his star will rise even more rapidly than it has over the last couple of years.

Nadal is volleying better, and has no fear of Federer on the lawn. So for the first time since 2002 Wimbledon's men's singles title could go to someone not named Federer.

Castafiore
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Bud Collins. :bolt: Does anybody still pay attention to what he has to say these days?

The Bud Collins curse strikes again? But remember:
Before Roland Garros, Bud Collins predicted a Nadal win in Paris but he changed his mind in the last week into a pro Federer prediction.

Tnn74
06-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Fuck Bud Collins! :mad: and Rafa should not be distracted by any other means, including his girlfriend, maybe she should come back when he's in the Finals again... I'll be damned if he draws Mahut in the first round :awww:

Metis
06-21-2007, 11:28 PM
:spit: Don't panic people! The key thing is that Bud Collins didn't clearly specify that Rafa will win Wimbledon. There are a lot of maybes and ifs and that does not constitute a curse. Believe me! I know these things first hand. I have taken special training courses in graduate school such as: Curses I, Curses II and 'Black magic & VooDoo practices 101' (lab course). I got A in all of them ;).

Whether it's Nadal or somebody else nailing Federer, it won't be five straight Wimbledon titles for the World No. 1.

That being the case, Nadal has nothing to lose at Wimbledon and everything to gain. If he takes the title his star will rise even more rapidly than it has over the last couple of years.

Nadal is volleying better, and has no fear of Federer on the lawn. So for the first time since 2002 Wimbledon's men's singles title could go to someone not named Federer.

The whole thing is so hilarious :haha:. Does anyone seriously believe in curses?

Of course it will matter if Roger or Rafa believe in them, otherwise don't waste your time worrying :lol:. And if at the end of the whole thing Bud's bank account increases by a substantial amount (=prize money) then we will know they do ;).

EDIT: Now that I look at that first sentence again, I am starting to get curious who (if not Rafa) is going to nail :aplot: Roger.

Mimi
06-22-2007, 03:37 AM
thanks mallorn, but i am not sure whether i am goinig to have great time coz i used to fell sick of jet lag the first day i stepped out of the plane :hug: :hug: :smooch:

you are right, we nadal fans never bad mouth and jeer roger like some of them do to rafa all the time, remember how they jeer him whenever he lost a match?? ;) but we did not jeer roger when he lost the FO final ;)

Rafa=fed killa does make fun of roger and is annoying sometimes, but at least he is not vicious as some of roger fans ;)

You cannot be serious, you're telling us to "live and let live"?! :rolleyes: Roger is hardly ever mentioned on this subforum, unlike Rafa over on the Federer forum, which is the most vicious, obsessive, anti-Rafa place on MTF, GM included.

MariaV
06-22-2007, 06:34 AM
EDIT: Now that I look at that first sentence again, I am starting to get curious who (if not Rafa) is going to nail :aplot: Roger.

:lol: :aplot: :aplot: Rafa would be sad again like after the RG final if Rogi would betray on him. :sad:

thanks mallorn, but i am not sure whether i am goinig to have great time coz i used to fell sick of jet lag the first day i stepped out of the plane :hug: :hug: :smooch:

you are right, we nadal fans never bad mouth and jeer roger like some of them do to rafa all the time, remember how they jeer him whenever he lost a match?? ;) but we did not jeer roger when he lost the FO final ;)

Yes, I even felt sad for Roger just like Rafa. It was so nice of Rafa to say that starting his speech. And Roger is a fine lad but some of his fans here are just.... more irritating than people in other fanbases.

Mimi, I hope you get over the jet lag quickly. :hug:

Mimi
06-22-2007, 06:47 AM
thanks sweet Maria :hug: :smooch: :hug:, :scared: of the 13 hours of flight

yes i felt a bit sorry for roger when he lost FO too even i am not his fans, coz he looked sad (if he gave out an "all right, i lost but its ok" look, then may be i won't feel sad for him :p

:lol: :aplot: :aplot: Rafa would be sad again like after the RG final if Rogi would betray on him. :sad:

Yes, I even felt sad for Roger just like Rafa. It was so nice of Rafa to say that starting his speech. And Roger is a fine lad but some of his fans here are just.... more irritating than people in other fanbases.

Mimi, I hope you get over the jet lag quickly. :hug:

Xristos
06-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Any pics of Rafa at Wimbly yet?

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Nope, not yet, I supposed he is out shopping with his girlfriend... or Feli... :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:34 AM

:haha: :haha: keep it up Rafatards, you're too good :yeah:

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm still bemused by all the animosity shown toward Rafa in particular, but really quite a few other players too, by the Fed fans on MTF.

And on the other hand Rafa fans are so kind and sweet towards Roger... Definitely no justice in this world... :awww:

mallorn
06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
What are you working on? Some translation?
Yeah, a big one. :scared:
I'm sure he's staying with Xisca and Tio Toni, but also with Feli (and presumably his GF).
Rafa's blogging from Wimbledon for The Times, starting Monday! :)

The Rafael Nadal Blog (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/)
Yay! He must enjoy blogging a little bit after all, or else he wouldn't have agreed, right? :scratch:
There's a common denominator as to why Roddick was the most hated player on here before Rafa's success and I think we all know what it is :lol:
;)
I guess Rafa loves the blogging. :) Though I want him to finish his RG blog first. I want to know what he felt winning RG for the third time. He seemed a bit sad and subdued afterwards.
He left out the most important day. :sobbing: I guess now he'll have a chance to write about it in the Wimbly blog. And yeah, I'd feel a bit subdued by that crowd too. :rolleyes:
Nadal is fucked, Bud Collins says Federer won't win Wimbledon for a fifth time (which means he will):
Bud is hilarious, he always seems to pick the last person to win a GS tournament to also win the next. :lol:
:spit: Don't panic people! The key thing is that Bud Collins didn't clearly specify that Rafa will win Wimbledon. There are a lot of maybes and ifs and that does not constitute a curse. Believe me! I know these things first hand. I have taken special training courses in graduate school such as: Curses I, Curses II and 'Black magic & VooDoo practices 101' (lab course). I got A in all of them ;).
:lol: Exactly. Plus, he'll probably change back to Federer once he's won a couple of matches anyway. :lol:
Any pics of Rafa at Wimbly yet?
Yes, I'll post some in the pics thread later.
:haha: :haha: keep it up Rafatards, you're too good :yeah:
Oh, you're one of the obsessive lurkers then? How shocking. Not. :lol:
Wimbledon Gives Nadal His Chance

By Tom Perrotta
June 22, 2007

He's the best clay-court player in 30 years, he's won five titles on hard courts, and he's spent more weeks ranked no. 2 in the world than any man in history. In most other eras, Rafael Nadal, the rugged 21-year-old from the island of Majorca, would have dominated tennis. Instead, thanks to Roger Federer, he's more of a nuisance than a worthy successor, a scruffy kid with ungainly groundstrokes who won't let the man with the most beautiful game, the player everyone loves to love, make history.

At Wimbledon, which begins Monday, Nadal has a chance to change the terms of the conversation. For three plus years, as Federer has piled up major titles (10 in all) and put a stranglehold on the no. 1 ranking (177 weeks and counting), tennis fans have been on constant Federer Watch. When will he eclipse Pete Sampras's record of 14 major titles? Could he win the calendar year Grand Slam? Will he be the best ever once he wins the French Open?

In two weeks, however, we might be talking about Nadal, Wimbledon champion, first man to win the French Open and Wimbledon back-to-back since Bjorn Borg in 1980, and future no. 1, perhaps by the end of the year. It's a long shot, but not out of the question.

First, Wimbledon. Nadal surprised many when he made the final last year, but his performance was no fluke. After a slow start, he played superb, aggressive tennis, and he could have won two sets against Federer in the final. This year, Nadal should play better: His latest victory at the French Open (his third in a row) gave every indication that he's beefed up his game. Nadal relies more on winners than his tireless legs these days, and he's more comfortable playing close to the baseline and at the net.

It won't hurt Nadal's cause that Federer continues to underestimate him. Here's Federer response, translated from French, when he was asked after the French Open final to compare this year's Nadal to last year's:

"I don't think [Nadal] has made any progress. I always feel if he was to change his game, he might stop being able to win on clay. So I think he needs to keep this game, because with this specific type of game, he's just unbeatable on clay."

Federer credited Nadal with an excellent match, but for him to say Nadal has made no progress — well, it boggles the mind. It's also measurably untrue. :D

In 2005, Nadal beat Federer in the finals of Monte Carlo and Rome, two of the three large clay-court warmup events. This year, Nadal defeated Federer in Monte Carlo, won in Rome (where Federer lost early), and lost to Federer in the Hamburg final (neither player entered Hamburg last year because the Rome final lasted five sets). MSL Software kept detailed statistics of those tournaments the last two years (thanks to Pedro Garcia at MSL for providing the data).

The samples are similar: In Monte Carlo and Rome last year, Nadal played 1,809 points (two best-of-five-set finals); In Monte Carlo, Rome, and Hamburg this year, he played 1,888 points (bestof-three-set finals).

In 2007, Nadal improved in every statistical category. Last year, he ended 14.4% of his points with a winner. This year that figure rose to 17.6%. His rate of errors remained roughly the same: 15.4% last year, 14.8% this year. He approached the net slightly more often this year and won a lot more often once he got there: 71.9% compared to 66.8%. He committed 29 fewer backhand errors in 79 more points (Nadal has done more to improve his backhand, which is now a bona fide weapon, than any other shot). After winning a remarkable 46.6% of points on his opponent's serve last year, Nadal this year moved closer to 50%, which rarely happens for any length of time in top tennis (he won 48.6%).

This data confirms what every naked eye, save Federer's, sees when it looks at Nadal: a much improved player. He's hitting more winners and making the same number of mistakes. He serves more aces. He puts fewer service returns in play, but wins more points returning serve overall (translation: he's going for more). Rather than playing and training like a clay-court expert, Nadal continues to develop a game that will suit him for another five or six years, no matter the surface.

In last year's Wimbledon final, Federer played a tame match — effective enough to win, yet not as aggressive and confident as one would have expected. That won't be good enough this year. Several lesser players might overpower Nadal earlier in the tournament (Ivo Karlovic, the 6-foot-10-inch Croat, comes to mind), but if the Spaniard reaches the final, he has the game to win.

If he succeeds, the no. 1 ranking won't be so far away. Nadal has yet to play well in the second half of the season, which includes the American hard-court tournaments, the U.S. Open, and two important indoor events in Paris and Madrid. His poor showings in the past have left him with few points to defend, so he'll gain a lot of ground on Federer if he can maintain his form. If Nadal won Wimbledon or the U.S. Open and lost to Federer in the final of the other, won either Montreal or Cincinnati and reached the quarterfinals of the other, and won either Paris or Madrid and reached the quarterfinal of the other, the no. 1 ranking would be in play at the season-ending Masters Cup, no matter what Federer does.

Four years is a long time for one man to remain atop the tennis world, even if that man might be remembered as the best player in the game's history. Nadal's chance to dislodge Federer might come sooner than anyone had expected.

tperrotta@nysun.com

http://www.nysun.com/article/57090

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:42 AM

No need to waste your time making sense on here... ;)

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh, you're one of the obsessive lurkers then? How shocking. Not. :lol:

Since you seem aware of what's written in Fed's forum I guess you kind of lurk there from time to time... :o

MariaV
06-22-2007, 07:46 AM
JEEBUS!!!!!!!!!!! How obsessed must JMP be to come to Rafa's forum? :eek: :eek: :eek:
:wavey:

mallorn
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
And on the other hand Rafa fans are so kind and sweet towards Roger... Definitely no justice in this world... :awww:
We're talking about this subforum, not GM. Roger is not obsessed about here and is in fact hardly ever mentioned here, sweetie. :)
Since you seem aware of what's written in Fed's forum I guess you kind of lurk there from time to time... :o
You may not remember but I used to post in the Fed forum... I stopped around RG last year, when you people just got out of control. I presume it only got worse after that, given the ... circumstances. :D

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Roger is not obsessed about here and is in fact hardly ever mentioned here, sweetie. :)

:lol: look at this thread, Roger is simply mentionned on every single post :o

You may not remember but I used to post in the Fed forum... I stopped around RG last year, when you people just got out of control. I presume it only got worse after that, given the ... circumstances. :D

You used to post exclusively on Martina's thread, I can't remember reading you on any Fed related thread... :shrug:

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 07:55 AM
JEEBUS!!!!!!!!!!! How obsessed must JMP be to come to Rafa's forum? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Toying with Rafatards is one of the reasons I keep posting on this fabulous board :wavey:

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 07:56 AM

are we ever surprised anymore...? :lol:

Foxy
06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
JMPower, you are pathetic just like... you know.

MariaV
06-22-2007, 08:07 AM
are we ever surprised anymore...? :lol:

Nope, not really. :lol:

Foxy (and JMP), no need to get rude here... I hope. ;)

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Foxy (and JMP), no need to get rude here... I hope. ;)

Rudeness is a weapon for weak people... I let that to teenie Rafatards ;)

MariaV
06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
FYI the teenie screaming Rafatards don't come here much. They have other sites. ;)

mallorn
06-22-2007, 08:13 AM
:lol: look at this thread, Roger is simply mentionned on every single post :o
Not Roger - his fans. It's a big difference, you know. ;) And it's not as if we discuss you guys all the time either, in fact the opposite is true. Hopefully this is just a brief phase :o which is due to boredom and will soon be replaced by draw discussion. :)
You used to post exclusively on Martina's thread, I can't remember reading you on any Fed related thread... :shrug:
Not that I expect anyone to remember that, but I used to post in other threads too.

Xristos
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Gosh, there is a report saying Rafas has cut his hair real short. Hope this is bullshit!

Castafiore
06-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Just speaking for myself here but perhaps we should drop the entire "Fedtards" issue for now because obviously, they only seem to feel flattered by the attention they're getting here.

Xristos, where did you read that? I'll believe that when I see it.

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 08:18 AM
FYI the teenie screaming Rafatards don't come here much. They have other sites. ;)

You're not that many I admit, but the stuff the few write on here (Yana, Catastrophe, Metis, Nadalita, etc...) are alone worth the read and the laugh :o :lol:

mallorn
06-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Gosh, there is a report saying Rafas has cut his hair real short. Hope this is bullshit!
What report? :confused: It was normal yesterday. :shrug:

MariaV
06-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Just speaking for myself here but perhaps we should drop the entire "Fedtards" issue for now because obviously, they only seem to feel flattered by the attention they're getting here.

I'd gladly drop it but JMP just opened the closet door wide (to use Mista's lingo) when he decided to post here :lol: :shrug:

When will the draw be out? :eek:

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 08:37 AM
I'd gladly drop it but JMP just opened the closet door wide (to use Mista's lingo) when he decided to post here :lol: :shrug:

And you couldn't resist temptation of taking the bait... :kiss: :lol: :wavey:

Castafiore
06-22-2007, 08:38 AM
True.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

as Mista would say. ;)

mallorn
06-22-2007, 08:39 AM
When will the draw be out? :eek:
11.00 CET.

It'll be live on Wimbledon Radio, there's a link here:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2007-06-21/200706211182460165500.html

MariaV
06-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Oooh, I should come to Fed's forum! :devil: :lol: I don't think I'll post though. :o

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Oooh, I should come to Fed's forum! :devil: :lol: I don't think I'll post though. :o

Some of your fellow Rafatards (RFK, Jon and Adam) often come there to teach us some tennis stuff ;)

Neely
06-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Can the invader stop posting and all others stop talking about the invader? Thanks! :yeah:

I wouldn't like to delete so many posts. Be sane and turn the topic into the right direction again!

MariaV
06-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Some of your fellow Rafatards (RFK, Jon and Adam) often come there to teach us some tennis stuff ;)

Adam doesn't come here much and THANK GOD neither does RFK. :angel:
Sorry if they bother you over at Fed's.

Can the invader stop posting and all others stop talking about the invader? Thanks! :yeah:

I wouldn't like to delete so many posts. So be sane and turn the topic into the right direction again!

Neely, it's OK, no need to delete anything yet I think...

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 08:49 AM

I wouldn't like to delete so many posts. Be sane and turn the topic into the right direction again!

No worries ;) was just in a trolling mood after laughing at some comments on here...

Anyway, best of luck to Rafa and his tards for the rest of the season, may it be better than last year... :angel:

Carlita
06-22-2007, 08:53 AM

:yeah:

there are enough threads in GM where you can ridicule Rafael, should you feel the need.... :p

Carlita is watching :devil: :lol:

btw, why is it so hard to like both players? I loooooove Rafael AND Roger :D it is possible ;)

bokehlicious
06-22-2007, 09:02 AM
btw, why is it so hard to like both players? I loooooove Rafael AND Roger :D it is possible ;)

Some so called "Fedal" do :o not sure they're really sane though... :shrug: :p

MariaV
06-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Carlita is watching :devil: :lol:

Thanks dear! :kiss:

You know it takes some maturity to like both... ;)

Carlita
06-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Some so called "Fedal" do :o not sure they're really sane though... :shrug: :p
well thank you very much :hatoff: now stay on topic :p

Carlita
06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks dear! :kiss:

You know it takes some maturity to like both... ;)well Spanish Armada is my home :angel: Neely just beat me to it :lol:

btw, what do we think? Will Rafa do well? I play this game and I make my own rules :lol: Moya, Verdasco, Nadal, they play---I buy :lol: (wise or not, I don't care :rolls: ) but, Rafa is expensive......shall I take the risk? :shrug:

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Rafa drew Mardy Fish in the first round... then he has Youzhny and Berdych in his quarter :awww:

mallorn
06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
He's 3-0 against Fish, won all matches in straight sets (including on grass at Queen's last year).

Youzhny and Berdych will be very difficult of course, should they meet - it's a good thing it's best of five. :p

MariaV
06-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Fish hasn't been doing well lately, no?
Youzhny retired in Halle, his back problems may come back even if he claims he's OK. :shrug:
Berdych will be tough. I hope they'll both behave well should they meet. :angel:

Mimi
06-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Berdych??!! :eek: :mad: , hope rafa will get through :angel:
Fish hasn't been doing well lately, no?
Youzhny retired in Halle, his back problems may come back even if he claims he's OK. :shrug:
Berdych will be tough. I hope they'll both behave well should they meet. :angel:

Foxy
06-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Apart from Berdych the draw is even more suitable for Nadal than last year. But let's take it a match at a time.
And in fact all the good players on grass are united in the second quarter where are A ROD, A MUR, LUBO, Mahut etc.

guga2120
06-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Apart from Berdych the draw is even more suitable for Nadal than last year no its much harder this year, every match except the first round, will be somewhat hard.

He does have some players in his section that have beaten him a few times, it will be tough for him. I really have no idea who will get through that quarter.
I think the Federer and Roddick will cruise, and Lleyton maybe in the other SF.

Foxy
06-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Rafa had Agassi third round. Lubo was in his quarter too but didn't qualify.
He had Lleyton and both Andys in his half who also didn't reach further rounds.
And it is not so sure Berdych and Youzhny get to a match against Rafa. If happens it is not so scary. The grass will be worn too much.
It is not a matter of a draw it is more like who reaches further rounds.

l_mac
06-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't like Rafa's draw. Soderling-Youzhny-Berdych >>> nightmare :(

Xristos
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Dont fear. Belive!

yana
06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd like to see a Rafa/Berdych match on grass. ;)

Foxy
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Berdych and Youzhny would be big threats for Rafa if they were to face him in the first round.
Like last year when Kendrick met Rafa in the 2nd round.

tangerine_dream
06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I got this from stebs in GM:

Nadal
1: Fish
2: Ramirez-Hidalgo
3: Soderling
4: Youzhny
Q: Berdych
S: Hewitt
F: Federer

Do you guys think Rafa's draw is tougher this year than last year? Youzhny and Berdych could definitely be problematic. Hopefully Berdych will mentally crap out early.

First round Fish no problem for Rafa. Poor Mardy.

No Rafa-AndyR match on grass this year. :sad:

guga2120
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Nadal

Do you guys think Rafa's draw is tougher this year than last year? Youzhny and Berdych could definitely be problematic. Hopefully Berdych will mentally crap out early.

Yes i think its tougher, and im hoping Rafa gets to the QF and plays Berdych, i want to see that match.

No Rafa-AndyR match on grass this year. Good thing for Roddick, seriously, but his quarter is by far the easiest, i see him and Roger in the SF. Thats where he will go out though.

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 06:46 PM
this year's draw is definitely tough... the biggest threats are still Youzhny and Berdych...
he should at least get to the QF's though... :yeah:

I was actually hoping for a clash with Roddick too, but damn, looks like another cakewalk draw for Federer :o

Johnny Groove
06-22-2007, 09:06 PM
ive said this forever. Roddick Nadal final :)

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 09:16 PM

:worship: :yeah:

guga2120
06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
ive said this forever. Roddick Nadal final :) your kidding right?? You know Roddick has no chance unless Federer defaults.

Tnn74
06-22-2007, 09:38 PM
your kidding right?? You know Roddick has no chance unless Federer defaults.

...and Federer will default :devil:

linus
06-23-2007, 08:22 AM
you guys :lol:

just wish Rafa to get his ready enough and fight up on court, sometimes results not get held on someone' hands except God' sake :aplot:

Vamos for green :cool:

Johnny Groove
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
your kidding right?? You know Roddick has no chance unless Federer defaults.

15th time's the charm :lol:

Xristos
06-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Vamooos Rafa!

Baghdatis72
06-23-2007, 02:04 PM

:haha: :lol: :haha:

yana
06-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Imagine if that final would actually happened who will have the last laugh. Blaze will be like the new Oracle.

Metis
06-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Nadal

No Rafa-AndyR match on grass this year. :sad:

I think the draw looks a bit tougher this year especially in terms of the potential 4th round and QF opponents having been problematic for Rafa in the past. At least that spares us the bitching and whining in GM (for the moment that is; I don't even dare to imagine what will happen if these 2 get eliminated earlier :lol: )

Anyway, as others have said before, I am looking forward to a Nadal-Berdych match. I don't remember watching any matches of Berdych on grass (except for the one against Federer in Wimbledon last year where he wasn't playing that well) so I can't say whether his advantage against Rafa will be similar or greater compared to that on hardcourts. In any case we'll see what their form is in the initial rounds and take it from there. :)

mallorn
06-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, the draw is definitely tougher than last year, and I don't think Berdych will crap out early, his draw is so easy I don't think it's possible even for him :p to crap out. Don't know about Youzhny, how serious was his back injury? :scratch:
:spit: 90% of MTF would have a fit/need to be placed on suicide watch if that happened. :lol:

A couple of articles about Rafi:

Advantage Nadal: he can improve on grass (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article1977522.ece)

It's all in the mind of Nadal (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/othersport.cfm?id=986892007)

And his interview:

Saturday, 23 June, 2007 (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-06-23/200706231182610817718.html)

Also, if you want to ask Rafa a question, you can, via Times Online.

Rafa's blog on Times Online (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/)

MariaV
06-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes, the draw is definitely tougher than last year, and I don't think Berdych will crap out early, his draw is so easy I don't think it's possible even for him :p to crap out. Don't know about Youzhny, how serious was his back injury? :scratch:

:spit: 90% of MTF would have a fit/need to be placed on suicide watch if that happened. :lol:

:spit: Oh dear!!!!! All the hatas, Fedtards & Co might need hospitalization. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

P.S.
I saw Berdych vs Baghdatis final in Halle, Berdych was great on grass so.... :scared: :unsure: I can only hope he's mentally as s*** as Safin. :tape:

The_Nadal_effect
06-24-2007, 03:36 PM
How does Youzhny fare in grass? Never seen him on grass.

Baghdatis72
06-24-2007, 04:33 PM
How does Youzhny fare in grass? Never seen him on grass.

I think he's okay on grass but it's not his favorite surface. I don't think that he can threaten Nadal on grass though.

Castafiore
06-25-2007, 08:09 AM
First blog entry is up!

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/

Feliciano is here with his coach, his physio and another guest and I am with my uncle Toni, my physio Rafel Mayme and another guest.
Read: girlfriend

I also had some promotional work to do. It was a photoshoot for PlayStation (here we go again)
:p

(I need to take some "how to smilie a blog or interview" lessons from Ania or Maria. I love it when they do that).

Xristos
06-25-2007, 09:49 AM
So I tak eit the guests are the girlfriends.

mallorn
06-25-2007, 10:27 AM
another guest
:haha: :haha: I knew he wouldn't be able to say "my girfriend" :lol:
PlayStation (here we go again)
:lol: I like his sense of humour. ;)
My manager told me 15 minutes and 9live, the photographer, did his job well on time. :-)
:scratch: Should it be "Clive, the photographer"?

Long entry, nice!
(I need to take some "how to smilie a blog or interview" lessons from Ania or Maria. I love it when they do that).
Awww, you do? :D :o

I smilied this lovely/funny article from The Telegraph.
Bullish Nadal at ease on grass

Sue Mott

Conversation with Rafa Nadal is rather like the weather we've been having lately. It blows hot and cold. Sudden squalls strike. Sunny radiance emerges. Thunderous scowls cloud the atmosphere. His sweet face is a barometer of emotions, and as Wimbledon approaches with the speed of a juggernaut the just-turned-21-year-old scarcely knows whether to feel excited or exhausted or a barrage of both.

It is the age-old problem - the sudden transition from clay to grass, from a bed of roses to a bed of nails as far as the Spaniards were traditionally concerned. But this Spaniard, this extraordinarily muscular, boisterous and charismatic young man who has charged like a bull through the claycourt season, is willing himself to survive and prosper on the surface most alien to his skills.

"It's faster," he explained. "You need to change a lot of things in your mind." He is right. "Grass is for cows," Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, the three-times winner of the French Open, born in Barcelona, used to say waspishly upon confronting the Wimbledon greensward. Maybe that notion is buried deep in the Spanish psychology.

"No, I don't think so," Nadal said, frowning. "Last year we had three players in the fourth round. I was in the final. For the Spanish everything is changed now. I know Wimbledon is one of the most important tournaments in the world. It is a bit special."

To that end he was playing in the FortisTennis Classic last Friday at the Hurlingham Club, a quintessentially English scene involving rain storms, roses, fountains and members of the crowd taking their seats carrying full bottles of champagne in an ice bucket.

Through the amiable glow of bubbly and steam of drying rain, the spectators glimpsed the famous Nadal style, firing shots with the weight of a water cannon, during a two-set canter with his friend and opponent, Carlos Moya. Nadal lost in a 10-point tie-break, but practice was the thing. A chance to make all the monumental adjustments to his game that last year led to the final against that impeccable piece of Swiss engineering, Roger Federer.

Does he dream about Federer, so closely are they locked in mortal rivalry? "Why?" he said sternly, raising a quizzical eyebrow. Far from wishing the greatest player in the world would just go away, Nadal claims he relishes the chance to chase him down. "It's nice to have one player on the tour like him. It's unbelievable for me to play in the same years as him. He is one of the best players in history and it's very nice being in the same history."

This is the history: Nadal keeps winning the French (the last three occasions) and Federer keeps winning Wimbledon (the last four occasions). Maybe a little role-reversal is in order. Nadal thinks so too. "Where is the paper I can sign?" he said, with a crooked grin.

The rivalry is as charming as it is intense. There is no evidence of dislike nor jealously nor the sort of spiteful tirades that often puncture high-octane competition (see Alonso vs Hamilton circa 2007).

"I think Roger is unbelievable. He is a nice person. I have a good relationship with him. He's not a very difficult guy. He is just normal. In the locker room if we have to speak about anything, we speak perfectly well. If we have nothing to say we don't. We talk about things like football. I support Real Madrid, he supports Basle in Switzerland and Roma in Italy. In Monte Carlo we talked about the politics of the tennis tour." The essential decorousness of the two men who dominate tennis is a revelation, but then they have both been brought up to be courteous.

Nadal's manners are deeply ingrained by his close Mallorcan family. :yeah:

"Thank you," he said to the ball girl who handed him a towel. Members of the crowd practically fainted with delight. After the match he took the microphone and regaled them with: "Hello. Good afternoon," like a vicar :lol: welcoming people to a garden fete (except with a heavy Spanish accent.).

His uncle Toni, up in the stands, offered jovial comments throughout the afternoon and applauded the opposition. It was Toni Nadal, his long-time coach, who insisted on good behaviour on the tennis court. Not once was his nephew allowed to throw his racket. Not once? "No," Nadal shook his head firmly. Even Federer threw tantrums and rackets as a child. "I am not him," said Nadal succinctly, the frown deepening again. The irritation does not last; he soon lapses into inertia.

His soporific demeanour off court is in sharp, stark contrast to the dervish he becomes on court. He is dressed in a deliberately piratical fashion and plays up to the image, with a cut-throat attitude and a battery of shots. But that is not the real Nadal, he claims. "I am too scared to fight anybody. I never had any problem at school with anything. If I have any problem I'm going to run away. :lol: I am not aggressive. I have big passion to play. I just try my best on the tennis court. But in my nature, I am a very calm guy. I don't like to have arguments."

We will have to go along with his words, but you must admit he is a very big pussycat at 6ft 1in and 13½ stone of match-winning gristle. :haha: His sheer size caused a ruction before last year's Wimbledon when a French newspaper alleged a connection with performance-enhancing drugs. :( Nadal talks about this with contemptuous dismissal.

"The guy never signed his name to the article. It was not in a serious newspaper. He invented something and he is not brave whatsoever.

"I didn't worry about it then. I don't really care about it now." He is, nevertheless, about twice the width of Tim Henman, an achievement that comes not from extensive gym workouts but the wonderful accident of ancestry.

"If you look at his father, Sebastian, if you look at his uncles, they are all the same size," said his agent Benito Perez-Barbadillo, who acts as translator, policeman :lol: and part-time waiter :lol: on this occasion, bringing Nadal a spoon for his strawberries topped with huge amounts of sugar.

"It runs in the family," confirmed Nadal. "You call it 'genes', yes?"

Benito reckons Nadal could have been a footballer, like his uncle Miguel Angel Nadal, who played for Barcelona and the Spanish national team, but his nephew was a turncoat on two accounts. Not only does he support Real, but he loved tennis more when the time came to choose between the two sports. It was really no choice at all.

Winning those 81 successive matches on clay was a pretty good vindication of that selection. His youth has been no bar to the mental fortitude required to be a champion. He has proved that much this year, winning at Indian Wells, Barcelona and Monte Carlo without dropping a set.

At Rome he won again, beating three of the world's top 10 players in the process. He lost to Federer in the final in Hamburg and the world thought: "Uh-oh, this could be the year he is toppled from his French throne." But no. :nerner: Federer's ever-more urgent dream was quashed again. On clay Nadal is simply colossal, prodigious and almost undeniable.

Boris Becker thinks that Federer was mentally wounded by that defeat. Nadal won't agree. Perhaps he cannot afford to agree. "He lost the final of a grand slam. That is all. The same thing happened last year. He is still an unbelievable player and his best surface is still grass. He is still the favourite.

"But I arrive here with big motivation. I did play a lot in the past few months but I practice every day on the grass now with my best concentration. I arrive here to give everything, to train every moment to try my best." To be strictly honest, that every-moment-practice regime was briefly interrupted for him to fly back to Spain and watch Real win the Championship, but needs must. :lol: It was a big game. Otherwise, he is focused and fully denying that his gargantuan efforts so far this year have left him unduly tired.

"I am no more tired than last year. It is just the change from Roland Garros to Wimbledon is very soon. Only two weeks. Not too much time. It is very difficult for players like me. It can work. Anything can happen but the change is better for Roger because he is coming to the surface that he likes best."

In the first round he confronts Mardy Fish of the United States, not the easiest of opponents, and lurking in his half of the draw are two further tricky customers in Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus and the Serbian Novak Djokovic, who beat him in Miami this year. Further obstructions await in the form of The Phantom of the Opera, which he would love to see again. "And Les Miserables," he added.

So should we put money on him to win this year? He smiled, a Balearic burst of sunshine. "No. For sure not," he said cautiously.

"It's not the best idea. :lol: Because you have a lot of chances to lose. I can win in every place but this is not the place where I feel my best.

This is the most difficult place for me. If I win my first matches, then anything can happen. If the court gets slower, if the sun comes out..." With exquisite timing, the thunder rolled overhead. :( Never mind the grass beneath his feet, now he has to negotiate the clouds overhead.

All part of the Wimbledon experience.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/06/25/stmott125.xml

Baghdatis72
06-25-2007, 04:08 PM
So I tak eit the guests are the girlfriends.

Cheeky cheeky :ras:

MariaV
06-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Hopefully Rafa will get to play today. VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

Centre Court
1:00 pm Start
1 Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Jamea Jackson (USA) v. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)[4]
2 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Carlos Moya (ESP)[25] v. Tim Henman (GBR) To Finish 3-6 6-1 7-5 2-6 5-5
3 Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Mardy Fish (USA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Foxy
06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Did somebody notice the grass here was slower than Queen's grass?
I remember the rallies ended at Queen's after 3-4 shots. At Wimby yesterday average over 5 shots.
Also I noticed at Wimby players are more solid on the grass. They can easily change directions.

Anybody noticed something like this? Or this is an illusion of mine?

Castafiore
06-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Second blog entry is up!

Italian food + a self baked cake. Sounds delicious!
I'm hungry and all I have with me here are some sandwiches and an apple. *grumble* Doesn't really measure up.

mallorn
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Did somebody notice the grass here was slower than Queen's grass?
I remember the rallies ended at Queen's after 3-4 shots. At Wimby yesterday average over 5 shots.
Also I noticed at Wimby players are more solid on the grass. They can easily change directions.

Anybody noticed something like this? Or this is an illusion of mine?
I think there's a general consensus that Queen's is faster than Wimbly (and wasn't Halle described as "an ice rink"?).

According to the BBC, the nice weather should hold today *fingers crossed* but it's cold. I don't think Rafa likes cold. Hopefully the wind won't frustrate him too much.
0935: One thing we should add to the positive weather outlook is that it is cold. Very, very cold. And windy. Amelie Mauresmo mentioned last week that she thought the wind could play a factor on the roofless Centre Court and she will get to experience that when she opens play on the show courts at 1300 against American Jamea Jackson.

The sun is out again at Wimbledon
0925: The good news is that it's a beautiful morning at the All England Club as the groundstaff make the final touches to the Centre Court lawn. The official forecast is for "sunny spells with the risk of a few light showers", which all things considered is not too bad.

Nice to have the blog entries early. :yeah:
Me, my uncle Toni, Giorgio, Vitto and Thomas from the ATP, Rafa Maymo and Benito from my team, and Albert Costa and Toni from Feliciano's team.
Ok, that's just weird, what about… umm another guest? :scratch:
The other day I cooked a cake for all of us staying at the house, so I decided to cook another one today and give Albert a surprise. Benito had gone to buy the eggs, sugar and the candles and I prepared two cakes.
:eek: He can bake an edible cake?! That's … wow.
I always watch a movie when I go to sleep. Not that I watch it all, but I start or finish watching them and that makes me go to sleep always.
Hope it doesn't happen to him in the cinema, that would be embarrassing. :tape:

l_mac
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Rafa's blog is very cute.

So far, so good today. He's returned serve very well and hit some awesome winners. :D

linus
06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
oh, finished watching Rafa' first match on grass this year (no that grass-clay exhibition counted) :dance:

with the white outfit, Rafa kinda gave me a prove that I had a wrong expect for his style on grass :yeah: I never force myself to believe Rafa can win grass easily... but I think Rafa can test himself more to adapt to grass better.. God says Rafa' magnificant future is coming :aplot: :angel:

good Rafa, next round please again in 3 :tennis:

MariaV
06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
6-3 7-6 (4) 6-3
Didn't see much of it, just the end of the 2nd set, solid TB, got the mini break back right away and remained calm, I love Rafa in white. :D
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

cc2monac
06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
congrats rafa!! I thought it would be harder for him...realy great! keep on guy!

tangerine_dream
06-26-2007, 05:40 PM
*sigh* Well, he beat my poor battered Fish, as expected. Good win for Rafa. :bigclap: Another bad loss for Mardy. :sad:

But I'm enjoying Rafa's blog over at the Times. :cool:

From your lips to God's ears. http://www.thefixx.net/images/smilies/fav/shh.gif

I don't think many of them have recovered from the French Open final yet :angel:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/roddickwatch/personal/fedrafastrip.jpg

Tess Gray
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
haha!! LMAO @ that cartoon:p

vamos Rafa!

mallorn
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Rafa did a good job, served well enough and received better than I expected (37% return points won is very good for him on grass against quite a big server, and he hit some great forehand return winners in the second set). They showed the graphics comparing his point of return here and at RG, and the difference is HUGE. I also really liked the UE/W ratio (15/40, including 22 fh winners). He didn't go to the net a lot, but all in all a very convincing performance - the result was never in doubt. :p Mardy really couldn't live with him from the back of the court and his FH was quite dismal, but I reckon maybe he still isn't 100% (Tommy Robredo said in his blog that Mardy had some pain a few days ago and couldn't finish his practice).
I don't think many of them have recovered from the French Open final yet :angel:
Lol, Tangy, as Andy would say, I don't think we're going to throw a pity party for them. :angel:

tangerine_dream
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
The NYSun has great tennis articles. Here's another good one that gives a good overview to how Nadal has improved his game (apologies if it was posted already):

edit
Never mind. It was already posted. So here are my comments about it. :)

http://www.nysun.com/article/57090
Wimbledon Gives Nadal His Chance
By TOM PERROTTA
[...]
It won't hurt Nadal's cause that Federer continues to underestimate him. Here's Federer response, translated from French, when he was asked after the French Open final to compare this year's Nadal to last year's:

"I don't think [ Nadal] has made any progress. I always feel if he was to change his game, he might stop being able to win on clay. So I think he needs to keep this game, because with this specific type of game, he's just unbeatable on clay."

Federer credited Nadal with an excellent match, but for him to say Nadal has made no progress — well, it boggles the mind. It's also measurably untrue.

In 2005, Nadal beat Federer in the finals of Monte Carlo and Rome, two of the three large clay-court warmup events. This year, Nadal defeated Federer in Monte Carlo, won in Rome (where Federer lost early), and lost to Federer in the Hamburg final (neither player entered Hamburg last year because the Rome final lasted five sets). MSL Software kept detailed statistics of those tournaments the last two years (thanks to Pedro Garcia at MSL for providing the data).

The samples are similar: In Monte Carlo and Rome last year, Nadal played 1,809 points (two best-of-five-set finals); In Monte Carlo, Rome, and Hamburg this year, he played 1,888 points (bestof-three-set finals).

In 2007, Nadal improved in every statistical category. Last year, he ended 14.4% of his points with a winner. This year that figure rose to 17.6%. His rate of errors remained roughly the same: 15.4% last year, 14.8% this year. He approached the net slightly more often this year and won a lot more often once he got there: 71.9% compared to 66.8%. He committed 29 fewer backhand errors in 79 more points ( Nadal has done more to improve his backhand, which is now a bona fide weapon, than any other shot). After winning a remarkable 46.6% of points on his opponent's serve last year, Nadal this year moved closer to 50%, which rarely happens for any length of time in top tennis (he won 48.6%).

This data confirms what every naked eye, save Federer's, sees when it looks at Nadal: a much improved player. He's hitting more winners and making the same number of mistakes. He serves more aces. He puts fewer service returns in play, but wins more points returning serve overall (translation: he's going for more). Rather than playing and training like a clay-court expert, Nadal continues to develop a game that will suit him for another five or six years, no matter the surface.
What I've personally noticed about the changes to Rafa's game is: Rafa's first serve % is higher nowadays; he knows he has a weak serve and a worse second serve so he has worked to concentrate very hard on getting that first serve in. He's also not grinding out points nearly as much and is instead trying to finish off points more quickly at the net. Remember how a few years ago a Nadal match would be a four or five set marathon lasting three or four hours? Now he's winning more matches in shorter time and in straight sets. This will help him avoid burnout and the wear and tear on his body as he gets older.

As for Roger's assessment that he sees no change in Rafa's game, I think he's just being disingenuous.

yana
06-26-2007, 07:02 PM

that cartoon :haha:

Tnn74
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
RAFA: 40 Winners, 15 UE's :worship:
Exclamation Mark ACE to end Match Point :angel:
Great Job Rafa!!! :yeah:

Cartoon: Priceless :lol:

l_mac
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
That cartoon - :haha:
There was no thread about Rafa's victory in GM 2 hours after the match finished - :lol:

Rafa's press conference is up:

R. Nadal - 26 June
Tuesday, 26 June, 2007

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [2] beat Mardy Fish (USA) 6-3, 7-6, 6-3

Q. Do you think you're in the kind of form that you can go all the way this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, happy for win the first match. Sure that's just the first match, no? I play very, very, very good today.

I think I feel very comfortable on court, so very happy about my game today. But is just the first round.

Q. Since your defeat at Queen's, what did you do in the time off to improve your game in time for Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: Just I was in Mallorca few days for rest little bit. Yeah, a little later I come back to London here, Wednesday morning, practice every day.

Q. You're staying in a rented house this year nearby. Does that help your preparation? Can you relax better in that environment?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, is better especially if the day was like was three days ago, two days ago. If raining, it is so much better. If the weather is not okay you can go at home, watching film, cooking. I like to cook. So little bit distraction.

So, yes, I feel very, very good here one minute away from here. I'm with a good friend, Feliciano López, with his team and my team. We are maybe eight. That's good. Very happy for be in the same house than last year. Is always easier.

Q. What sort of things do you cook?

RAFAEL NADAL: Pasta, everything, everything.

Q. Cakes?

RAFAEL NADAL: What's "cakes"? :lol: Yes, because was the birthday of Albert Costa. We cooked for the happy birthday. :lol: :hearts:

Q. How did you feel on the Centre Court in the new surrounding?

RAFAEL NADAL: Different little bit. Well, I prefer with the cover. Is nicer. This is strange. But this is okay.

Q. How did you like the conditions? Cooler than Mallorca.

RAFAEL NADAL: I prefer the sun, the hot, everything. But the moment right now we have cold, wind and rain. We have to adapt.

Q. Is it difficult to adapt to these conditions?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, it's not very difficult, no. Especially for us is especially for us, the Spaniards, Latin players, is better with the sun like last year. The ball, you can feel a little bit more the ball. With the sun, is a little bit slower, the ball is getting a little bit more topspin than like this.

Q. Do you think the grass is the same as last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: The grass don't change. Always is grass. :lol:

Q. In the spring in the States, you spoke your season goal is to get to the Masters and you would probably change your goal if you play on clay as good as the years before. Have you changed your goals now for the season?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, I change. In the Masters, I am inside right now, no? Now is try to be in the continue being No. 2 at the moment.

Q. Did you watch any of the Moya/Henman game? Did you talk afterwards?

RAFAEL NADAL: I couldn't talk. I just go on the court. I just say bad luck to him. :sad: He say me good luck.

Was tough match, very tough. Lose like this is not easy.

Q. Was your match today the most comfortable you've ever felt on grass? Do you feel you've adapted fully now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I feel very good today. I return very well. Just one moment in the third set I was serving little bit worst. That's normal. Need improve a little bit that. Need improve a little bit the second serve.

But the rest, playing from the baseline was very, very good. Very good forehands. Running good. Feeling good.

Q. Carlos Moya was playing very good on grass. Have you been practising with him? Did you give him any ideas or tips?

RAFAEL NADAL: I can't say nothing to Carlos, no? He has more experience than me. Anyway, he has more Wimbledons than me, no? I practice there in Hurlingham. We have a match. Yes, he's not playing bad. He's not playing bad right now. He never play bad on grass because he has very good serve, good forehand, not bad volley.

But the problem is sometimes the clay season and the grass season is so close. Is not easy, no?

yana
06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
That cartoon - :lol:

There was no thread about Rafa's victory in GM 2 hours after the match finished - :lol:

I don't understand. Three weeks after RG and these guys are still pissed? That defeat must have hurt really bad.

06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
haha!! LMAO @ that cartoon:p

vamos Rafa!
Great cartoon :lol: And oh so true :) And Congrats to Rafa on his win today ;)

MariaV
06-26-2007, 10:10 PM
l_mac smilied all the presser too. :D Thanks! :wavey:

The stats that I really don't like is only 4 aces, wasn't he serving well enough?

Tnn74
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
l_mac smilied all the presser too. :D Thanks! :wavey:

The stats that I really don't like is only 4 aces, wasn't he serving well enough?

He doesn't normally hit a lot of aces, it's normal for his opponent to get more in that area than Rafa... but his serves always has placement... which is why it's so hard for anyone to break him, even Roger :angel: He did hit a great Ace, for Match Point :yeah:

Castafiore
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Rafa seems to have discovered the delights of Nutella!

New blog entry's up.

MariaV
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
He doesn't normally hit a lot of aces, it's normal for his opponent to get more in that area than Rafa... but his serves always has placement... which is why it's so hard for anyone to break him, even Roger :angel: He did hit a great Ace, for Match Point :yeah:

I know but on grass he should have more aces. Esp vs a lousy returner like Fish. :shrug:

rafagirlno1
06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
*sigh* Well, he beat my poor battered Fish, as expected. Good win for Rafa. :bigclap: Another bad loss for Mardy. :sad:

But I'm enjoying Rafa's blog over at the Times. :cool:

From your lips to God's ears. http://www.thefixx.net/images/smilies/fav/shh.gif

:haha: :haha: he says the same damn thing every year only to get embarrassed at the RG final each year in some new way :awww:

mallorn
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Nice blog entry, he's quite a chatterbox. :lol: I have a feeling food will be this blog's Playstation. ;)

A few interesting articles after the match (although the titles - these and almost all the others yesterday - are too much, esp. the last one).

Nadal finds his feet and Fish gets caught in his net (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/wimbledon2007/story/0,,2112476,00.html)

Assured Nadal display has hapless Fish reeling (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/06/27/strafa127.xml)

Nadal confirms class on grass by gutting Fish (http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article2714058.ece)

Castafiore
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
although the titles - these and almost all the others yesterday - are too much, esp. the last one)
Indeed, I bet that Mardy Fish is highly amused by the many fish related puns. :o

yana
06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
The mistery is soved:

Why do you call "Fidgiano" to Feli Lopez? - Evu, Argentina

RN: I don't really know. I just do so. I started one day, probably I was making fun of my English and that's how started.

06-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Rafa won again today :woohoo:

mallorn
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I thought Rafa sort of sleepwalked through the match today, but the stats are ok, and the conditions were difficult with a lot of wind, so he did well in the end. Needs to have a much better start against Soderling though.

R.Nadal - 28 June
Thursday, 28 June, 2007

Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2] beat Werner Eschauer (AUT) 6-2, 6-4, 6-1

Q. How well do you think you played today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, not much. Not much today, no. Was very difficult conditions. I start worst possible. I start very bad.

But, well, it was not easy match, no? Conditions was terrible. Lot of wind. Now without the roof is worse for the wind. The wind is not going to one place, is always like this (swirling). Was very, very difficult to feel the ball good, no?

Well, after that I play little bit better. The important thing is I was serving very good in the first two sets. In the third I lost everything in the serve. I serve bad in the third set, very bad. But I was playing better from the baseline later, no?

Well, important thing today is the victory and I have one more day tomorrow I hope with better conditions for have better feeling. But, well, I am not worried about the feeling because I was playing very well last days, but today was tough.

Q. If you compare the speed of the court with last year, do you think it's similar, faster, slower?

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw, I don't know where, that the court was so much slower than last years. The true is not. For me the court is the same. I was here the last maybe four years. I lost one time for injury. But for the last four, five years I was here. Every day I feel the same feeling. Every time I feel the same feeling in the court. The court is not coming slower than last years.

Q. I understand you baked a cake for your friend on Monday. Are you a good cook?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not much. Normal cook.

Q. Do you have any other talents apart from tennis?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I play football not very well. :lol: Sometimes now I play, not much, but when I am younger I play not bad. Yeah, golf, depends of the day. Cooking, I cook two weeks in a year, no, :lol: when I am here. I don't have a lot of practice.

Q. What do you know about your next opponent?

RAFAEL NADAL: Difficult player. Very difficult player. Big server. He play very aggressive to the baseline. He play very tough. The ball is going very, very fast. Well, is difficult. For sure is going to be difficult to have a break, break him. Yeah, need be very, very concentrate with my serve and have to wait the return, no?

Q. You have only met him on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Against him? Against him I just play against him on clay, first round of Roland Garros last year.

Q. Safin has to play Federer in the next round. How do you think he's going to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, gonna be an interesting match. Federer is the best right now. Safin was one of the tops. Going to be interesting match. Favorite for sure Federer. And Safin, he play one time maybe quarterfinals here, but he don't have very, very good results. But always in every surface I think is very, very good player. Well, he has unbelievable potential. :rolleyes: :o

Q. Is there any other player here you think can beat Federer on grass, apart from yourself?

RAFAEL NADAL: We will see tomorrow. I think gonna be tough.

Q. López did very good today. Do you discuss tennis together before a match as friends?

RAFAEL NADAL: Tactics, not much tactics. :p Just try the best in every match, no? When I go to the court, especially on grass is difficult have a tactic, no? The tactics is try to return the ball the first time, and after try to play more aggressive as you can, no?

So, yes, I saw the match of Feliciano today. He played very good two first sets. After, my opinion, he play bad the third set because he has break. In the fourth he don't play very good, too. :angel: But after in the fifth, he come back. Henman have some mistakes. But he play very good. Is very important victory, good victory for him.

Q. How is your mind working when you play an opponent who you beat on clay and now you meet him here on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think nothing about that because for me the clay and grass is tennis but long difference. In the sport, clay is here, grass is here (far away).

Q. So you have no advantage here with your wins on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I prefer have one victory before. :D Duh! But when you go to the match, if I lose, for example, against Blake three times, I lose three times on hard, and if I play against him on clay, I don't gonna go to the match thinking, Well, I lost three times against Blake, no? I think is so much different, no? Maybe I can't think that.

MariaV
06-29-2007, 07:01 AM
:lol: Ania, why are you rolling eyes at Rafa's comment about Marat? ;)
He is courteous as always. :D :angel:

I tried to watch most of Rafa's match, that shock horror start losing his serve ... :eek: he better not do that again vs Söderling. But otherwise yeah, the stats seem OK, he didn't need to do much.:shrug:
So we'll see vs Söderling about how good Rafa really is.

rafagirlno1
06-29-2007, 12:37 PM
yesterday match's was quite a decent performance from Rafa considering the windy conditions and i was thrilled he won in straight sets with ease :worship:
Soderling will be a tougher opponent but i am sure and confident that Rafa would raise his level and beat him too :)
now i would love to see Nieminen defeat Youzhny in the third round :angel:
and also i would love to see Safin knock out Federer :p

mallorn
06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
:lol: Ania, why are you rolling eyes at Rafa's comment about Marat? ;)
He is courteous as always. :D :angel:
Umm, actually I was rolling my eyes at Marat. :o Looks like he somehow lost the key to wherever his potential is hidden. *sigh*
So we'll see vs Söderling about how good Rafa really is.
Yep, should be interesting. I hope he'll play well if only because he's really getting the hang of that blogging thing and I would love to read a couple more entries. :p

Agassi Fan
07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Good luck against Söderling!!!

linus
07-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Happy to watch Rafa' matches on grass again and wish tomorrow too ;)

bad endless rain :ras: it gets thing a big mess :p

Vamos Rafa :cool:

cc2monac
07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
good luck rafa! you'll do it!

MariaV
07-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh that totally SUCKS I say! Fed will have to play 3 matches next week now that Haas withdrew and Rafa will have to play 5 matches should he make it to the final as he didn't get to play even his 3rd round on Friday. :( :mad: :fiery:

Foxy
07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
It doesn't make any difference on grass. Nadal will even have an advantage...

MariaV
07-02-2007, 10:02 AM
It doesn't make any difference on grass. Nadal will even have an advantage...

An advantage? With playing best-of-5-sets matches 3 days in a row? :rolleyes:
I hope Monday and Tuesday will be a complete washout and they'll have to play the matches on hardcourts indoors. :rolleyes:

mallorn
07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm sooo fed-up with this waiting. So far Rafa has played three warm-ups and one and a half sets. :mad: He'll spend the whole frigging day waiting to finish the match and there's more of the same to come tomorrow. :rolleyes: What if they can't finish today? *pulls hair*

l_mac
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
I can't believe Rafa messed up that match point in the 3rd set tiebreak. That'll be play over for the day. The referee made a huge mistake not having any play yesterday.

Also, Soderling is a DICK.

mallorn
07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I can't believe Rafa messed up that match point in the 3rd set tiebreak. That'll be play over for the day. The referee made a huge mistake not having any play yesterday.
What a brainfart. He had an open court and just missed that frigging FH!!! :mad:
Also, Soderling is a DICK.
I was going to go for PRICK... same difference. :p

l_mac
07-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I was going to go for PRICK... same difference. :p

I originally had something much worse, but then I remembered I was a lady. :lol:

Jillian
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
You may be a lady, but Soderling's definately no gentleman. Have you ever seen such bad manners at Wimbledon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mallorn
07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I can't believe the mess Rafa has made of this match. :rolleyes:

Still no OOP, but Radio Wimbledon said he's second on Court 1, after Jankovic.
Also, the official site said:
9.27 pm: Evening all – still out there? The schedule for tomorrow has yet to be released, but to reassure Erica from Kansas City, players won’t have to play twice in one day. Tomorrow, the last four men’s third round ties will be played, the six remaining ladies’ fourth ties and some of the men’s fourth round too (Ferrero – Tipsarevic, Roddick –Mathieu and Gasquet – Tsonga).

Wednesday we’ll have the men’s fourth round from the bottom half of the draw, a couple of men’s top half quarters and the ladies’ quarters. Thursday – bottom half men’s quarters and ladies’ semis: Friday – men’s semis: Saturday is the ladies’ final and Sunday the men’s.

cc2monac
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
You may be a lady, but Soderling's definately no gentleman. Have you ever seen such bad manners at Wimbledon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totaly agree, that's right rafa is always trying to take his time and to contral the game but he does it with respect not like soderling!
vamos rafa! win this match!

07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I think Rafa is stuck in the Match from H*LL :ras: And Robin has given some other players a hard time sorry I can't remember who now :confused: But I wrote Robin off as a classless guy a long time ago :ras: :ras:

Alexandy
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm dissappointed in Rafa. I know everyone makes mistakes, I know I don't always behave as I should. But I expected better from him. :( There's no need to get involved in extra stuff out on court. Nows he's so concerned about this stupid situation with Soderling that his game is suffering. I wish he would just forget about everything, stop doing extra fist pumps directed towards Soderling, and just concentrate on playing the match. And I do think Soderling's behavior was rude, but there's no need for Rafa to let himself be drawn into this. It's only helped Soderling and hurt Rafa.

cc2monac
07-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree with you alexandy but unfortunatly it's hard to stay concentrated when you have someone like soderling with so many bad manners and who doesn't respect you at all + it's hard to stay concentrated when you play 5 min,stop: rain delay, play 5 min, stop: rain delay...it is even harder when you think you had a mp...poor rafa! I realy hope he'll win this one!

<Eve>
07-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Congrats with his win over Soderling!! :aparty:

Johnny Groove
07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
He finishes off Soderling :) :bigclap:

That forehand at *5-5 30-40 was :worship: What balls he had to hit such a shot at such a time

MariaV
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Jonathan!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug: How are you? :hug:

What a match! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:
How many MPs did Rafa need before finishing it? 5 or 6?
Geez, I dunno how much nerves I have left for the Youzhny match. :lol:
*wiping sweat from the forehead*
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap:

linus
07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I always put my confidence on Rafa' shoulder tho it does be very tough in the past days :yeah:

Rafa has tried something new on grass while how to get it through the two weeks is still a task to Rafa, well, let it come, we can do more to capture wins :rocker:

btw... really really dead of Mr. Rain :o :o

Johnny Groove
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Maria :hearts: Im great, just got back from Vienna for 10 days :wavey:

MariaV
07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
How did you like Vienna? At least it wasn't raining as much as in London, no? :lol:

Foxy
07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Oh man, what shots did he produce in the end. Inspirational.

mallorn
07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Finally. :sobbing: Bloody weather. :mad:

It took 6 MPs, Maria. And it was really touch and go when Raf was a BP down at 5 all. But he did play exceptionally well in the end. :worship:

Johnny Groove
07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
How did you like Vienna? At least it wasn't raining as much as in London, no? :lol:

I think it rained once in 10 days :lol:

I loved Wien, but i loved it more because i fell in love again :hearts:

Tnn74
07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
:woohoo: VAMOS THE SPARTAN KING!!! :bigclap:
Rafa and his fans weathered the storm, now he will go all the way!!! :banana:
Great Job Rafa!!! :hug:

mallorn
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I loved Wien, but i loved it more because i fell in love again :hearts:
Ooooh, so happy for you, Jonathan! :D :hug:

cc2monac
07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
congrats rafito!!!! so happy for him and so happy that soderling is off!!!! hope this match will give him a lot of confidence! he realy showed how strong is his mental!
one more time congrats rafa!!! we love you!!!

Björki
07-04-2007, 12:06 PM
well done Raf :worship:

l_mac
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank GOD! A Soderling victory would have been very hard to stomach. How happy was he when he won? :lol:

MariaV
07-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Nadal Wins Four-Day Marathon

Wednesday, 4 July, 2007

At long last, Rafael Nadal earned victory in his third round match against Robin Soderling this afternoon. Five days after the players first warmed up, the number two seed needed five match points today to add to the one he held on Monday before he could finally beat Soderling 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 4-6, 7-5.

The match featured eight rain breaks – and almost another one today when the lightest of rain fell fleetingly on No. 1 Court during the 20 minutes required to conclude it. But umpire Steve Ullrich kept them on court, and this time no one could rain on Nadal’s parade.

Students of ancient history will know that this match was supposed to begin on Saturday afternoon, but the players had only completed the warm-up before the rain forced them off for the first time. On Monday, they managed four sets, Nadal taking his chances in the first two but squandering a match point in the third set tiebreak.

Soderling became the first man this fortnight to take a set off Nadal, and liked it so much that he did it again to take the match into a decider. When the rain came, Nadal was a break up at 2-0 in the fifth, the momentum firmly with him.

At 5pm yesterday, they came on court for their latest attempt and, just as in the earlier stages of the match, the initiative swung this way and that, weaving its way through the rain delays. Soderling was all fist-pumping aggression, grabbing the break back and taking the first six points of the day before his opponent could get a look in. They played for nine minutes and went off for rain; one hour later they managed another 12 minutes before they were forced off for the night with the concluding set at 4-4.

And so to day four of this match (if we permit Saturday as day one even though no points were played). At 12.11pm, after completing their ninth five-minute warm-up, they began what was to be the final chapter; and it seemed to be a different Nadal who held his serve – punchier, determined not to grant Soderling the attacking initiative.

But in doing so, he was overcooking his forehand and it was costing him points. As throughout the match, he was also a little predictable on his serve, not mixing it up as much as he might. Good work from Soderling earned him a point for the 6-5 break, but Nadal got it back and held. On such missed chances much can hinge.

As they sat down for the changeover, umbrellas went up around the court but the umpire instructed the players to stay seated rather than go off again. A minute later, play continued with the groundstaff hovering ready to cover the court.

Soderling, serving to stay in the match, could not reach a drop shot, sent a forehand wide, and then another. Suddenly Nadal had double match point. Both went begging, the second when Nadal’s return passing shot was just out. The Spaniard forced another; it went by.

His fifth match point was sensational – a crosscourt forehand that left Soderling stranded. The Swede saved again. A sixth followed (the fifth this game) when Soderling netted a backhand volley. This time the miracles were over, and the Swede sent another backhand long. A match of just over four hours had taken four days to complete. :worship: :bowdown: :hatoff:

Written by Kate Battersby

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/match_reports/2007-07-04/200707041183550228312.html

MariaV
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
The presser is up. :woohoo:

R. Nadal
Wednesday, 4 July, 2007

Rafael Nadal beat Robin Soderling 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5-8), 4-6, 7-5

Q. How does it feel to finish the marathon?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very happy. Very happy of the victory. Very happy about finish the match. That's the most important thing today. :)

Q. Typical worst conditions at Wimbledon.

RAFAEL NADAL: Never like this. I was here for maybe five years. I didn't remember something like this. The toughest match maybe my career.

Q. How tough was it to deal with?

RAFAEL NADAL: Unbelievable, no? Because the stops always was tougher for me than for him because I was winning. Well, I stop with 7 All in the tiebreak. Worst possible. I stop when I was beating him, playing well, set and break. Yeah, in the third I stop another time with 2 0, 30 All. That's always very, very difficult moment for me, no? The last stop was not the worst for me, with the 4 All. Well, I have all the game for play with my serve. For the other stops, you know, the other can play without much pression because I serve every time the first point. That's very tough for me.

Q. Final match points were nail biting moments. How was your confidence before you won 7 5?

RAFAEL NADAL: I went to the court, and when I'm going to the court today I know I can lose, I can win, and I accept that. Just try to be there with the best attitude, try my best. I know anything can happen.

Q. You had a match point on Monday. You went to sleep on Monday night knowing you had a match point. You went to sleep last night knowing you had a match point. Was that a very difficult thing to do, having to come back another day and play?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's tough. It's difficult because the match point was out like this. I was playing fine the point. Yeah, I just forgot that, think about continuing playing. Yeah, was very, very tough because he was playing better and better. For me was tough because I have to defend the advantage.

Q. What did you do in between playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am in the locker room for eight hours, nine hours every day. :angel:

Q. How do you think Soderling played during the game? How did he conduct himself?

RAFAEL NADAL: Really, the true, maybe worst possible because I was...(speaking in Spanish).

THE MODERATOR: I fell like close to the net, and he never even go to the net to say sorry or helping or something.

RAFAEL NADAL: And after, when he's touching the net and the ball go to other place, no one time say to me sorry. When I finish the match, the hand just a like this, just a little bit (looking away). After four days, that's not normal, no?

In the locker room, for the other players, is not the best guy in the locker room.

Q. What was it like in the locker room?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing, no, nothing.

Q. Were you angry when he made fun of you, when he touched his pants and everyone laughed?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me, I just think about the victory and about the match. I can't and I don't want to be involved in something like this, no? I don't think about that. The true is, is not nice, not for him. But everyone have whatever you want. In the end, we will see what's happening in the end of the life, no? :scratch:

Q. Yesterday they put you on second. You never really got going. Did that upset you, that you did not go on first yesterday to finish the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I understand because the day before, for all the day, I was playing the match. I understand the organization in this time because they put one match later. But after I didn't understand some things, no? I didn't understand why we didn't play on Sunday. The weather was okay, so much better than yesterday, Monday and today, too. I didn't understand why they cancel yesterday when at 8:10 the sunshine is here for one hour so we can play one hour. I didn't understand when we are going to the court for play 15 minutes and they know because they have the meteo. That's very tough for the players, no? They don't think very much about the players here maybe.

Q. Your next opponent is Mikhail Youzhny. Are you ready to start a new marathon? :lol:

RAFAEL NADAL: Mikhail is a great player. He's having a very good season. Going to be very tough match for me, no? I lost against him two times on hard. Last year in quarterfinals of US Open, this year in Dubai. Last time I beat him in Rome. Was playing very good match for me. And I know he's very tough match. But I feel confident after this win. But for sure am a little bit tired today because is a lot of tension every day, every hour. Just try to have the best preparation, little bit practice this afternoon, and after tomorrow try my best. But anything can happen.

Q. How damaging is it to your campaign at Wimbledon this experience over the last few days, where Roger Federer had good luck in the way it worked out for him? Do you think you can overcome these problems? Do you feel confident? Despite all the problems you've had, do you think you can come through, or do you think your chances have been damaged by the last few days?

RAFAEL NADAL: My opinion, the chances of the down draw is less than the up draw, no? Anyway, if I am playing or if I win tomorrow, if I lose, for the others is a little bit less because we have to play lot of days in a row. Well, for the other draw, Roger was playing he's having holidays for the last week. :lol:

Q. Do you still believe you can win?

RAFAEL NADAL: I believe I have tomorrow a difficult match and just try my best tomorrow. :yeah:

Q. How much do you still love Wimbledon with the rain, playing on grass, the waiting? Do you still love the tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: After the tournament, I don't know. Right now a little bit less than when I come (smiling). Anyway, is unbelievable tournament.

Q. When you're coming on and off, on and off so frequently, do you have any mental processes you go through to keep yourself sharp when you're coming on?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I try to the (indiscernible) the first times is tough. But when you have five times, that just is a joke, no? Just go on court, I am tired, very tired. Have walk to the locker room, walk to Centre Court every time.

Q. As the rain went on and on, the match went on and on, did you ever think, Maybe we should do this on a computer game or throw a coin, some different way to get it finished? :cuckoo: :rolls:

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so. :hatoff: :yeah:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-04/200707041183554899750.html

Bless Rafa for his patience with the journos. :rolls: I would've been "WTF??!!" like most of the time. :rolls:
He even complimented Misha. :yeah:

Denisse
07-04-2007, 03:36 PM
"we will see what's happening in the end of life" ??? lol...

Tnn74
07-04-2007, 10:02 PM
:eek: they scheduled Rafa's match on the supposedly "graveyard" Court 2 tomorrow against Youzhny... :shrug:

07-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Rafa FINALLY :yeah: And I'm glad Robin is gone :ras:

l_mac
07-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Aargghh!

What's happened to the serving problems Youzhny was having in his previous matches??

the_natural
07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
THEYRE BACK THEYRE BACK, only slightly rafa leads 4-2 4th, adv youz serve. VAMOS KEEP UP THE PRESSURE. Mika is a bit injured in the back but still dont give in

the_natural
07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes One Into The Net 5-2

the_natural
07-05-2007, 12:41 PM
3-6 4-6 6-1 5-2, Only problem is that rafa wins this set ON HIS SERVE (well its the most likely outcome) Mika serves first in the 5th :@ NOoooo...

BTW Berdych lost the 3rd to Bjork but 4-0 uP now, damn it the old guy did great to win the 3rd adfter losin 6-0 in the 2nd but it looks like rafa is gonna play a very alive and fresh opponent if he wins this match (Regardless of the score in the 5th :(

the_natural
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
6-2 with massive serving and big bigggg forehand Mika is lookin a little disheartened and a bit slower but hes trying, still will be dangerous

the_natural
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
berdych won it 6-0 in the 4th Dannnggggggg........ lets hope rafa pulls through before the rains come

the_natural
07-05-2007, 01:12 PM
4-1 i think its all over

the_natural
07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
yep 5-1

cc2monac
07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
rafa is playing such a great match!!! it's so beautiful!!!

cc2monac
07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
5/2...it's okay, do it on your serve rafa!

the_natural
07-05-2007, 01:20 PM
5-2

cc2monac
07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
3 Mp.

the_natural
07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
3 match pts

cc2monac
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
he did it!!! 6/2!!! congrats rafito!!!!

the_natural
07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
onto bird man. An impossible mountain to climb :(

linus
07-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Rafa :D

what a match for my heart, down then up :lol:

anyway, Misha, take care, next time try again :hug:

Rafa smiled so ... beautiful ;) and today the crowds are kinda ... mad :lol:

tomorrow... oh... :rocker:

l_mac
07-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Ay ay ay ay! I felt kind of bad for Youzhny, but Rafa has been due some luck this Wimbledon. Vamos Rafa!!

Now Berydch.

cc2monac
07-05-2007, 01:30 PM
onto bird man. An impossible mountain to climb :(

"there's no mountain high enough" man!
vamos rafa!!!

MariaV
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
"there's no mountain high enough" man!
vamos rafa!!!

Excatly!! :hatoff: :yeah:
Respect to Misha for not retiring and playing till the end. Misha's always been a fighter.
And I don't understand the whining about Rafa taking too much time by Söderling and the hatas here in GM - he is playing very fast. And if you read Andy Roddick's presser, Andy said it has never bothered him.
But whateva, let the idiots complain if they like. :shrug:

VAMOS!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

mallorn
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Very well done, Rafa! He was again slow to start and totally outplayed in the first two sets but raised his game so much in the third and what a fightback! Great stats too, 18 UEs to 57 Ws. :yeah: Youzhny may have felt his old back injury later on but it sure didn't affect him in the first two sets, he played some inspired tennis. :hatoff:

Rafa says it was his best grass court match. :D
R. Nadal - 5 July
Thursday, 5 July, 2007

Q. When you were two sets down, did you have any feelings you would be going home to Majorca tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe today. Sure, Youzhny was playing very good. Well, I feel I'm feeling not playing my best. But the true, he play very well. For that reason I can't play very well, too.
True, I play little bit defensive. His game is very good for this surface, no? He play very flat all time, fast. He has one serve, the serve is always going down. He doesn't bounce high. Yeah, is tough.
After the first two sets, the next three sets maybe I play my best game in grass in my life, no?

Q. Now that you have defeated Youzhny, who was one of only three players to have beaten you twice in the last 12 months, does this success today mean now it's easier to beat Fed Express and Berdych?
RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe not. For me was important victory for me, sure, because Youzhny is maybe 11 in the world. Very good player in fast surfaces, and I lost against him the last two times in hard: Dubai and US Open. I won in clay, but is a little bit different.
Well, very important victory for me. But especially I'm especially happy for my game. The last three sets, I never play better. I never play like this on grass. Very aggressive all time, serving well, returning very well, especially the second serve.

Q. Are you concerned about playing one match every day between now and the finals, particularly because today was a five set match?
RAFAEL NADAL: What can we do? Is not another option. That's it. Try the best every day.

Q. Every player protests sometimes after the scheduling. If you were the person who has to make the schedule on Saturday, two semifinals, one women's final, what would you say before? How would you make the schedule?
RAFAEL NADAL: When?

Q. On Saturday. Saturday is two men's semifinals and one women's final.
RAFAEL NADAL: Two men's semifinals?

Q. Saturday, for sure. If you finish the tournament on Sunday, you have to play two semifinals on Saturday.
RAFAEL NADAL: What is the question? I don't understand the question very well.
I put the two semifinals, one on Court 1, the other one on Centre Court at the same time, and after the final of woman's. You like my schedule (smiling)?

Q. At the start of the third set you suddenly found your game really well. Did anything change? Did you try something different? What suddenly started it?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I was there all time, no, and the inspiration coming later (smiling). :lol:
No, I just play aggressive, moving faster the legs. :sport: Better movements all time. Every ball always try to do something. Every time when I touch the ball, try to have painful to the other one. :scratch:
Try to put the ball close to the lines every time and, well, serve hard all time. Everything change about play a little bit more aggressive. That's the decisive moment in the game.

Q. You said you played better today on grass than you've ever played before. Do you think you played better today than last year against Federer?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, sure. Sure I play better now. For me last year my best match was in semifinals against Baghdatis.

Q. He seemed to have a back injury. Did that change the way you played in the third set?
RAFAEL NADAL: I can say nothing because I didn't speak with him after the match. But anyway, I'm sorry for him if he has any problem.
Anyway, I play good game and I don't know if he feel if it affected him, the back problem. I can say nothing about that. Just sorry for him.

Q. Many people say Federer has a massive advantage because of the rain delays. Do you find now maybe that is the case, or do you still feel motivated to give it a good go? If so, would it be your biggest achievement to even get there?
RAFAEL NADAL: If I am not motivated here in Wimbledon, where I going to be motivated, no? I am motivated in every tournament always because I love the competition.
But, sure, if you play one tournament like Wimbledon, anyway if is raining one month, I going to be motivated hundred percent, no?

Q. Tomas Berdych said he feels grass gives him a slight advantage over you. What are your feelings on that?*
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure. He won the tournament in Halle. He's an unbelievable player. He's playing the last month so much better than the beginning of the season.
So, well, for tomorrow I think for the surface, for everything, he is favorite, no? Just I going to try my best, try to play like today after, but just play my best. I know going to be a very, very tough match.

Q. Do you feel you made a little bit of a breakthrough today in your mind about playing on grass? Do you feel more confident now after the way you were able to express yourself today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure. With every win you improve the confidence in every surface. But especially if you are playing like today little bit more, no? But gonna be you never know what's going on tomorrow.

Q. But you feel better about yourself and grass today?
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel playing great. Grass is not my worst surface for sure, no? Play in the final last year, quarterfinals this year, quarterfinals two times in Queen's. So I like lot playing on grass, no?
The important thing is serve, serve good. That's the point when I am working hard always because I have to improve if any day I want to win here.

Q. How did it feel to be playing on Court 2?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, a little bit strange because for the last month, :sobbing: :haha: [Freudian slip?] last years I didn't play on one court like this. Little bit smaller. The sensation, the feeling is a little bit different, no, because you feel the ball is coming faster than the other courts because for the space.
But, well, was great atmosphere. Full court with people support a lot. Very, very nice.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-05/200707051183647630515.html

*The media trying to stir things up, :( Tomas had nice things to say in his interview.

MariaV
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Ania, Misha said on Russian NTV+ tennis that he started feeling his back again at the end of the 2nd set. :wavey:

Nadal Wakes Up To Beat Youzhny

Thursday, 5 July, 2007

Rafael Nadal, the comeback king of tennis, is through to the quarter-finals after defeating Russia's Mikhail Youzhny from two sets down, 4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2. It was the 21-year-old Spaniard's seventh consecutive five-set win and takes his career record to 9-2 in five-setters. :worship: :bowdown:

The match was staged on Court 2, to the delight of a packed audience of people without tickets for the main show courts. For two sets it seemed the setting would live up to its notorious reputation of the Graveyard of Champions. Such great players as John McEnroe and Pete Sampras have lost here.

Nadal arrived at Wimbledon fresh from his third straight victory at the French Open and has not always looked comfortable with the combination of grass and inclement weather. But there is no doubting the commitment, heart and strength of this great competitor. Once again, he simply wore down an opponent to breaking point and then ran away with the match, capturing 18 of the last 23 games to earn a quarter-final match with the Czech Tomas Berdych.

The turning point came at the end of the third set when, having matched Nadal stride for stride and blow for blow, Youzhny needed treatment for a back ailment, a recurrence of the injury that forced him to withdraw from the Halle tournament quarter-finals. Once again, the relentless Rafa had run the opposition to standstill.

How different it had been at the beginning of this three hours and five minutes match as Youzhny, sporting a crew cut and the beginnings of a beard, mixed his game to devastating effect, pinning back Nadal with deep groundstrokes and then drop-shotting brilliantly. Nadal clung on grimly until he was broken in the 10th game, going set point down on a double-fault and then hitting a forehand into the tramlines.

Having won the last two games of the opening set, Youzhny then took the first three of the second set to establish a lead that Nadal, still battling to impose his game on the determined Russian, never looked like overhauling. He simply had no answer to Youzhny's serving skills and did not get near a break point before finding himself trailing by two sets.

That is the stage where the tough get going, and Nadal duly did. Finally earning a break point with a forehand pass, Nadal then went 2-0 ahead as the Russian double-faulted. At last Youzhny's speed around the court was slowing, possibly due to the onset of back problems, and Nadal cruised through the third set in 27 minutes, conceding just five points on his serve.

Youzhny spent the next three minutes flat on his face having his back treated and there were two further permitted treatments at subsequent change-overs. It seemed as if he might be saved by the onset of rain at 1-1 in the fourth set, but the shower was a brief one and they played through it.

When Nadal swept the last three games of the fourth set to level the match at two sets all , Youzhny, having used up his treatment time, took a toilet break. But now, roared on by the crowd, Nadal was in full, commanding flight, breaking for a 2-1 lead with a crunching, deep forehand that Youzhny could only swat into the bottom of the net.

Now there was no hope for a Youzhny comeback, as he struggled with his backhand swing and saw the games slipping away. Having missed one match point at 5-1, when Youzhny pulled off a daring drop shot, Nadal marched to one of his more impressive victories at Wimbledon, serving out to love and clinching it with a backhand winner.

Written by Ronald Atkin

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/match_reports/2007-07-05/200707051183629565109.html

tennisluckyfree
07-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have the link to Rafa's blog during Wimbledon?? can't seem to find it on his website!

MariaV
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have the link to Rafa's blog during Wimbledon?? can't seem to find it on his website!

Here you go

Sorry I'm so late with the answer. :wavey:

MariaV
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Rafa vs Berdych scheduled first on Center for tomorrow.

Centre Court
11:00 am Start
1 Gentlemen's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Tomas Berdych (CZE)[7] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Tess Gray
07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Rafa vs Berdych scheduled first on Center for tomorrow.

Centre Court
11:00 am Start
1 Gentlemen's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Tomas Berdych (CZE)[7] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Hope Rafa finally beats Tomas!:D

07-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Rafa :yeah: It will be tough against Tomas especially considering the way Rafa has had to play with the weather against him. But Rafa is improving on grass so much which must be tough considering there are so few grass court Tournaments anyway ;)

tangerine_dream
07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I found this over at the Tennis.com blogs:
The Nadal-Soderling moment: How long has this match been going? Four days now? Do you think they make eye contact in the locker room every time they go back there together? The look on Nadal’s face after Soderling mocked him for his wedgie-picking, and the crowd began to laugh, was sad and priceless. He kept a totally straight face but still managed to look hurt, embarrassed, pissed, and dignified all at once. Soderling just looked like a tool.
Bahaha.

And from the SFGate blog:
The Times' Giles Smith was amused by the Rafael Nadal-Robin Soderling feud, writing, "Asked whether Soderling's behavior had angered him, Nadal said, 'In the end, we will see what is happening in the end of the life, no?' Which is probably best interpreted as broken English for 'Show us your medals, Swede boy.'"
:devil:

tennisluckyfree
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Here you go

Sorry I'm so late with the answer. :wavey:

Thanks! it's not late at all! :)

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
i love reading/watching his interviews because i love the way he speaks english. i just love it. i want to give him a cuddle.

Lou_Lou_Ferrero
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
I found this over at the Tennis.com blogs:

Bahaha.

And from the SFGate blog:

:devil:

The Nadal-Soderling moment: How long has this match been going? Four days now? Do you think they make eye contact in the locker room every time they go back there together? The look on Nadal’s face after Soderling mocked him for his wedgie-picking, and the crowd began to laugh, was sad and priceless. He kept a totally straight face but still managed to look hurt, embarrassed, pissed, and dignified all at once. Soderling just looked like a tool.

he did that?! why on earth? good on rafa for keeping his cool. every player has their little quirks, who gives a sh*t?! cheap shot from soderling... although i don't know the whole story- can anyone fill me in?

Tnn74
07-06-2007, 08:00 AM
RAFA :worship:

keep up the great plays Rafa, handle your serves and rip that forehand!!!
:woohoo: VAMOOOOOOOOOS!!!!! :banana:

Agassi Fan
07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
7-6! :-)

Agassi Fan
07-06-2007, 11:21 AM
2-0 in the second!!!
Vamos Rafa!!!

the_natural
07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
UP A BREAK AND A CONSOLIDATED ONE AT THAT!!! WON 7-6 IN THE FIRST 7-1 IN THE BREAKER, the mental collapse made berdych lose serve to 15, rafa wins serve easy, lost the next service game (of berdych). up 15-0 come on rafa

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO WATCH THE MATCH http://www.livescorehunter.com/Livescores/Livescore-Tennis/Wimbledon.html CLICK ON LINKS 1-10 (any single one of them) and u get english bbc the other 4 are german. If it says error, close ur media player and try again, trust me it works but about 28000 people are watching the stream so its hard to get a connection

the_natural
07-06-2007, 11:27 AM
2-0 in the second!!!
Vamos Rafa!!!

3-1 ma MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :worship: :worship: :worship:

the_natural
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Wwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttt 2 Settttttssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssss

the_natural
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
BIG BERRRDDDD IS GONNA HAVE TO WORK BABAAAAYYY VAMOSSS!!! (I say big berd as a term of endearmant, I think Berdych is great and very talented and deserves to win a GS tourney some day But just never against rafa).

See this is wat Rafa was meant to do against berdych at Madrid and Canada, Big serving, A few returns back (hes at least winning 2 points on berdychs serve each game), CHANGING UP THE FOREHAND, Birdy is gettin caught flat footed on the rafa backhand when hes got the middle of the court to hit from cos he doesnt know which way, the backhands alright, its good cos he is flattening/attacking the short ball with it and doing it WELL!!! ANDD moving in on second serves Also i think hes not too far behind the baseline (I wish he were closer but thats agassi territory so i may be asking too much for this stage of his career).

I guess it just goes to show how far rafa has come in the last 3-4 months, Keep it up my boy, UP A BREAK !!!!

the_natural
07-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Consolidatttedddddddddddddddd

l_mac
07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
So far, so good.

the_natural
07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
4-1 double BREAK!!! :D BERDY IS MENTALLY DEAD NOW!!! :D In reality The greatest things rafa did was win the first breaker and then get back from 15-30 down once or twice in the second (oh and i heard that he got broken in the first so breaking back was big) the wind did the rest to upset the bird mans timing and threw his patience out the window. Good win though, cos he is striking the ball exceptionally well in these horrendous conditions (which affect both so i guess that evens it out) and he did come to net and win some 20 points plus he was gettin aces and unreturnables (though berdych is still above that) one serve at 131 MPH :D

the_natural
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Match Point

the_natural
07-06-2007, 12:23 PM
yes

mallorn
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Awww, well played Rafa! :hug: The conditions were horrendous and affected Tomas badly, but all credit to Rafa for making the most of this opportunity, running away with the TB and playing so well in the circumstances. :yippee:

Very nice interview too, seems that the Madrid fiasco is well in the past. :yeah:

the_natural
07-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok Looks like its Novakain in the Semis (hes saved some 5 set points in the breaker :( Im scared Be afraid, be very afraid, Im prayin for some Marcos magic in the 3rd to win, But hes as tight as he was against Hewitt hes so f!@#ing confident and he seems so "awake" The only thing that could go wrong is losing some energy after all these tough matches back to back They have been 3 or 4 sets matches but Long drawn out tough ones, even this one Has had alot of long searching games so to speak, so im HOPING he will be a bit run down .... but hes running on adrenaline too, the constant back to back match format of this years wimbledon will thus work in his favour and we could see another run like Marcos at Aussie 06 (then lose to federer without much of a fight)... I really hope he doesnt beat rafa A because this could be rafas year and B because rafa wont let him off easy, and hes gonna be beat up in the final so hes probably gonna lose easily thus people will say "look at the gap between RF and RN on grass, Nadal had to work whereas roger creamed him" agghhh

Ok over reacting and thinkin too far ahead, but id be less scared if rafa had beaten him at miami... And if he hadnt won 7 F!@#$ing back to back tie breaks at this years championships man........................ I can almost guarantee 1 breaker most likely the first set and rafa is gonna have to work alot harder than against Berd man.... Aggghhh someone give me some piece of mind please

anon57
07-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Just wanted to congratulate Nadal with his impressive victory today.

cc2monac
07-06-2007, 12:42 PM
congrats rafa!!! I thought you will win this one but not that easy!!! it was realy a great match! so proud and happy for him!!! congrats! congrats! congrats!

guga2120
07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Congrats to the Man. I was really suprised Nadal kicked his ass like that, i thought it would be a tough match.

l_mac
07-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Fantastic stuff from Rafa today! I seriously wasn't even expecting him to get through this match, never mind winning so easily. I should know not to underestimate Rafa.

tangerine_dream
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I thought Berdshyt would put up a bigger fight, I am pleasantly surprised to see Rafa wipe him off his shoe in straight sets. :p

Every time Nadal silences the Fedtard hero, I will post this :angel:

http://i17.tinypic.com/6cichhy.jpg

Well done, Rafa. I am very impressed with him this week. Not necessarily with his game but with all the fight and crap he's had to put up with and is now into yet another Wimbledon semifinal. Whodathunkit? :worship:

linus
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Rafa :bowdown:

I really had to bite myself, just like a dream, Rafa was too wonderful :yeah:

he does improve himself on grass, what a strong guy not only on body but also on mind :D

Final is waving :bigwave:

l_mac
07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Djokovic next. I'd have preferred Baggy (so adorable), Djoko is another one of those the haters say Rafa has no chance again on a faster court. We'll see. Nole has got to be knackered.

star
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Djokovic next. I'd have preferred Baggy (so adorable), Djoko is another one of those the haters say Rafa has no chance again on a faster court. We'll see. Nole has got to be knackered.

I like it that Nadal is playing the hardest draw possible. It makes it even sweeter. :)

Watching Nole slipping and sliding out there today made me aware again of how much Nadal has changed his instinctive playing style to play well in this tournament. You know, if the "experts" here on MTF were to be believed, Nadal couldn't have gotten past Youzhny, and certainly not Berdych, so bring on Djokovic. I'm just sorry he's likely to be at less than 100%.

star
07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
By the way, is there a thread where people are talking about Nadal's blog? I didn't see one. It's darling. He has so many cute answers.

MariaV
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
R. Nadal -
Friday, 6 July, 2007

Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2] beat Tomas Berdych (CZE)[7] 7-6, 6-4, 6-2

Q. Some people looked at the draw and said if he gets by Youzhny, Berdych won Halle. You must be feeling pretty good.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, maybe for this Wimbledon I don't have the best draw. I have a very difficult draw. But, yes, today I play a good match. Was very difficult play with this wind.

Well, very happy with my game and with the victory, because today was very, very tough game.

Q. It's amazing considering the championship that you've had, you are the first player to get into the semifinals.

RAFAEL NADAL: Unbelievable but true. Was big chance for be the last.

Q. Is it an advantage to be first in?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, right now is not much time. If Djokovic and Baghdatis play five sets, it's hours, little bit. But maybe if they play a normal match, anyway, is two hours of advantage. Not much.

Q. Tomas said the wind out there was so bad it was almost impossible to play good tennis.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is difficult play very good tennis. That affect him, especially his serve. I tried to be very concentrate all the time with positive attitude in all moment and try to be in movement all time, no?

So I can't stop, because if you stop the ball, it's moving a lot from one side to the other side. So I just try to be very focused on the ball.

Q. How important was it to win in three sets today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, important after especially two very, very tough games, tough matches against Soderling and Youzhny. The most important thing is the victory.

Q. You said yesterday you played your best three sets on grass. Do you think you played better today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Better, no. With this wind, is impossible play better than yesterday. But for the conditions, I play very, very good match because I know I beat one of the best players in the world, especially in this surface.

Is very, very good victory for me. This year I am very happy about my Wimbledon, I'm in semifinals. But beating very good players, Fish, Soderling, Youzhny and Berdych: all very tough players, good players, in all surfaces, but grass more. So very happy about my Wimbledon right now. :D :D We're very happy about it too. :D

Q. Does it feel like a different Centre Court, the character of the court?

RAFAEL NADAL: A little bit more wind. Yeah, is different, no? Maybe the Centre Court has more character with the old roof, no? That's the cathedral of the tennis.

Like this, looks a little bit strange, a little bit different. Well, my opinion last year's was the best Centre Court in the world. Right now, not, no?

Q. If it turns out that you make it to the finals, Roger makes it to the finals, how different will the feeling be this year versus last year when you faced him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, right now I'm in semifinals, semifinals against Djokovic or Baghdatis. Going to be very tough match. Just think about this, about that. If tomorrow I win, you can ask me.

Q. You played on three different courts now. If you have a choice for tomorrow, would you prefer to play on Centre Court or No. 1?

RAFAEL NADAL: Doesn't matter.

Q. Roger doesn't give up too many sets on grass. He gave one to Juan Carlos today. Does that surprise you? How do you think you would have played had you not played for six days in a row?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is difficult play after long stop because you lost little bit rhythm. But, well, Federer, maybe he's winning in the third right now, too, no?

Juan Carlos was playing great tournament, is playing very good level, so he gonna fight all match. But Federer continue be the favorite.

Q. Two Spaniards in the last eight. What are the secrets?

RAFAEL NADAL: Secret? No secret. Just fight every match. That's important for us, have two Spanish in quarterfinals of tournament like this, Wimbledon, on grass. Long time ago we didn't have that result, so is very good for us.

Q. Do you think the difficulty you've had in getting through this draw might ultimately help you, make you sharper?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, be in semifinals, anyway you play one guy or other one, is good for the confidence, no, because you have to win good matches for be in semifinals of one Grand Slam.

But this Grand Slam, especially I beat very good players, so that's give me good confidence. But I know tomorrow I gonna have another test, another difficult test against Baghdatis or Djokovic. They're playing very good.

Just try to continue like this, no, with positive attitude and play aggressive like this.

Q. You've had two five setters, one over five days. You've rain, wind, lightning, thunder. Can anything stop you this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe Djokovic or Baghdatis tomorrow (laughter). :lol:

Q. Do you get nervous before your matches, before a semifinal in a Grand Slam?

RAFAEL NADAL: I'm always nervous before match. If is important match, more. Semifinals of any Grand Slam, for sure.

But, well, I have experience. Is my fifth maybe semifinal in my career in Grand Slam. So experience help a little bit, no? A little bit less pressure :eek: :eek: :worship: for me here than Roland Garros, no?

I can enjoy a little bit more the moment because you're in semifinals and you don't think yeah, I play good tournament, lose in a semifinal of a Grand Slam is very good tournament. But, well, that is a little bit more pressure :eek: :eek: :worship: than here, no?

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-06/200707061183730044203.html

linus
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
thanks Masha :)

Rafa is turning so... moderate :D I do like his attitude :cool:

mallorn
07-06-2007, 04:42 PM
By the way, is there a thread where people are talking about Nadal's blog? I didn't see one. It's darling. He has so many cute answers.
Here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=104602&highlight=blog

It's not very popular though... I guess there's not much in the blog to complain about. :p

Thanks, Masha! Nice presser, he seemed in a great mood. :)

Johnny Groove
07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=104602&highlight=blog

It's not very popular though... I guess there's not much in the blog to complain about. :p

Thanks, Masha! Nice presser, he seemed in a great mood. :)

why shouldnt he be? ;)

MariaV
07-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Absolutely nothing new but in case someone missed the match.
Rafa Back on a Roll
Friday, 6 July, 2007

What a difference a day makes. Just over 24 hours earlier, Rafael Nadal was still recovering from a five day third round match against Robin Soderling, and preparing to take on Mikhail Youzhny in the last 16. Between the bad weather and other aggravations, not least a post-match spat with Soderling, it hadn’t been a good week for the second seed.

But, having come back from two sets down to beat Youzhny, playing what he considers to be his best grass court tennis ever, the Spaniard made a surprisingly easy job of dispatching seventh seed Tomas Berdych in the quarter-final. In doing so he became, not a little ironically, the first man to advance to the semis.

“It’s unbelievable but true,” Nadal said afterwards, adding that he had expected he would be the last man to arrive in the final four.

As Nadal was first to point out, any physical advantage he might gain from this unexpected state of affairs would be small, with his prospective opponents – Novak Djokovic or Marco Baghdatis – already deep into their match, which was eventually won by Djokovic in five sets.

But judging by his relaxed demeanour at his press conference, the super-fit Nadal has regained his equilibrium and is ready to take on the challenges of the business end of the tournament.

Nadal acknowledged that Berdych was a tough opponent with a big future, but today it seems that the wind presented a bigger challenge than the 21-year-old Czech.

“That affected him [Berdych], especially his serve. I tried to be very concentrated all the time with a positive attitude in all moments, and to be in movement all the time... The ball, it’s moving a lot from one side to the other side. So I just try to be very focused on the ball.

“For the conditions, I played a very, very good match because I know I beat one of the best players in the world, especially on this surface.”

So far this tournament Nadal has survived two five setters, the wrath of Mother Nature and the jibes of a disaffected opponent. This begged the question: could he be stopped at these Championships?

“Maybe Djokovic or Baghdatis tomorrow,” he said to much laughter from the inquiring journalists, who knew that was his way of avoiding being drawn on the prospect of playing Roger Federer in the final. “If tomorrow I win, you can ask me.”

Nadal expects to experience butterflies when he does line up against his next opponent, later confirmed as Djokovic. “I’m always nervous before a match. If it is an important match, more. Semi-finals of any Grand Slam, for sure.”

But he added that he would be able to draw on the experience of four previous appearances in the same round, and conceded that there was less pressure on him at Wimbledon than there is at Roland Garros.

If anything, it is Nadal’s prospective opponents who should be feeling the heat.

Written by Adam Lincoln

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2007-07-06/200707061183732557125.html

I'm watching some of the Nole vs Marcos right now and Nole must sure be much much more tired tomorrow than Rafa.

07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Rafa :yeah: I had to admit I was concerned about this Match and I'm concerned about the next one :scared: I think Nole is more the natural player on grass than Rafa :scared: Nole has had a back problem which I thought might have helped Marcos out today, but it didn't. May be it will help Rafa tomorrow :) But still for a grass Tournament Rafa has done amazingly well :D He is becoming that all surface court player that he has wanted to become :woohoo: