Rafa to take Wimbledon like a rain-delaying storm [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa to take Wimbledon like a rain-delaying storm

Pages : 1 [2]

Kalliopeia
07-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Marcos took him the distance...but Rafa is not Marcos. He won't blow his leads like Marcos did, or throw away his opportunities. I think he'll get through this one. Maybe not in straight sets.

Tnn74
07-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Rafa :worship: another spectacular performance. Vamos! :banana:

mallorn
07-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, Rafa is in the final again. :woohoo: :yippee: He's defended all his points, defying the draw and the weather and the scheduling! :dance: Who would have thought that on Wednesday! :p Poor Nole had nothing left, but again Rafa had a problem putting an injured opponent away (Verdasco Queen's 2006, Djokovic RG 2006).

He'll need to play ten times better tomorrow to even make Federer break a sweat. He's a huge underdog and all I'm hoping for is that he doesn't turn into jelly again and gives it his best shot - I remember reading interviews where he said he regretted not doing his best last year. I hope he's learned from that.

linus
07-07-2007, 01:17 PM
kinda foresaw Nole' retirement :p for Rafa, is it to save some energy or reduce some court training :aplot:

Final is most important, wish to watch Rafa more improvement tomorrow :rocker:

linus
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
you are a good announcer :cool:

Well, Rafa is in the final again. :woohoo: :yippee: He's defended all his points, defying the draw and the weather and the scheduling! :dance: Who would have thought that on Wednesday! :p Poor Nole had nothing left, but again Rafa had a problem putting an injured opponent away (Verdasco Queen's 2006, Djokovic RG 2006).

He'll need to play ten times better tomorrow to even make Federer break a sweat. He's a huge underdog and all I'm hoping for is that he doesn't turn into jelly again and gives it his best shot - I remember reading interviews where he said he regretted not doing his best last year. I hope he's learned from that.

mallorn
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
you are a good announcer :cool:
:lol: :hug:

l_mac
07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, that was interesting! I can't believe he's defended his Wimbledon points!! I'm totally giddy.

He better come out better tomorrow against the Fed or it could be embarassing. That first set today was ugh and WTF?! I felt a bit sorry for Djoko today, I usually have little time for him.

cc2monac
07-07-2007, 02:09 PM
rafa!!!!!! he is on fire!!! hope he'll be able to play his best tennis in the final! you can do it rafa!!! this year is yours!!!! vamos!!!

@ nole :hug:

l_mac
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Presser:

R. Nadal - 7 July
Saturday, 7 July, 2007

Rafael Nadal defeated Novak Djokovic 3-6, 6-1, 4-1 (ret.)

Q. How lucky for you with the match with Roger tomorrow to have a short game for a change.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I'm sorry for him. Is tough. In semifinals, playing good tennis, winning a match like yesterday, and today have to retire, no? That's tough for everyone. So I am sorry for him, first of all. Well, I start the match playing bad, playing very bad today. But, well, was I don't know today, but I was practicing before the warmup bad, too. I arrive to the match without the best confidence because I touch the ball bad in the warmup. After when the match is coming, I feel improving a little bit, improving and improving. Well, he has his problem. But, anyway, I touch the ball so much better, especially after first set, some games in the second. End of the second, I start to feeling better the ball.

Q. Do you feel fresh going into the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, not bad, no? I play two tough matches five sets. The other ones I won in three sets. Well, today three sets, too. Anyway, I lose the set. But I just play three sets. Yes, I arrive good physically for tomorrow.

Q. What's different about you now for this match against Roger than last year at this time?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know, no? Lot of things change, no? Is another year. Well, this year I am playing so much better than last year, no? Sure, for all the season I am playing so much better. Sure, he's the favorite. No one have any doubt about this. But I going to try my best, no? Try to continuing playing my aggressive tennis and try to go to the court believing in the victory.

Q. After the first set where he beat you while he was fully fit, were you in danger in your own mind of going out today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the match is long, no? Is just the first set.

But, sure, I wasn't feel the ball very well in the first set. Anyway, I have good chances in the first game for have the break. So if I have the break in the first game, you know, change lot of things. But he serve well in every point. Yes, later was important in the first game of second set, second game, I have the break. That's decisive in the match of today maybe because I get confidence there. I start to playing with a little bit more calm, try to move him a little bit more with my forehand. That's very important.

Q. And Hawk Eye helped you to make that decisive break.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I continuing think that's not working very well because the next ball Djokovic ask me the Hawk Eye, and Hawk Eye say the ball touching, but in my opinion this ball was out. I don't know my ball because I can't see from my place to the ball, no, in that game that Hawk Eye help me. But the next game, Hawk Eye help him, and that ball was out.

Q. You said the Hawk Eye was not working very well today. Do you feel it's worked well over the whole tournament or just today's match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the Hawk Eye have mistakes sometimes. I am sure about that. I am.

Q. Does that worry you to then use it then?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, for me doesn't matter because I understand that's better for the show, yeah. I know doesn't matter because is for both.

Q. Do you have the same feeling as last year coming into the final with Federer? Is it a de'ja vu feeling?

RAFAEL NADAL: One more year of experience, no, and one more year of important matches in my career, repeating the title in Roland Garros, playing quarterfinals in Australia, winning Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, final in Hamburg. So that's important for continuing.

Q. The fact that Federer hasn't played for five days and you played over five days.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that doesn't matter, no? Going to be a good final. Well, I going to have a very difficult match tomorrow, but I going to try my best.

Q. How are you going to prepare now? What will you do between now and the match to prepare yourself for tomorrow?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, when I finish the press conference maybe I going to practice 15, 20 minutes, just touching a little bit the ball. Later, go to lunch at home maybe. That's it. Be with calm in the house.

Q. The foot problem you had in Indian Wells and Miami, has that now completely gone, or do you feel it on the grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the grass is a little bit less aggressive than hard, so that's better for my foot. And the clay, too. So for the last month I play on clay. For me is difficult, very difficult, the change of surfaces, the fast change, especially clay to hard because is aggressive change. But, well, for good luck for the last months I feel just a little bit pain some day, but not all the time.

Q. Roger said yesterday the players critical of The Championships for not playing on the middle Sunday were wrong. What do you think of that?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Speaking in Spanish.)

THE INTERPRETER: No, I'm not criticizing. I totally support and understand the traditions of the tournament. Maybe Roger was in a different position because he had already qualified, and the rest of the players were behind in the schedule. Maybe this year they could have made an exception, but I'm not criticizing.

Q. Can you describe why Roger is so much more difficult on grass and you're so much more difficult on clay? What's the big difference when you face him on grass versus clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe all. All difference, no? Is so much different tennis. Well, in grass I have a good performance, too, the last two years. But on clay I have more time for prepare my shots, for try to do my game, and is a little bit easier for me.

Q. What makes him so difficult on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he has a very complete game. He's a very complete player. He has all shots. He control very well the speed of the ball here. (Speaking in Spanish.)

THE INTERPRETER: It looks like he always has time to get to the ball.

RAFAEL NADAL: So that's very important.

Q. When did you discover that Novak had a problem? When the trainer came on or before that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for me, when I come to the match, just be focused and try to fight every point because I know if the match is long, I have advantage, no? I play tough matches, too, but he play five hours yesterday. That's tough for everyone. I have more chances for win if the match gonna be four or five sets.

Q. When you lost the final last year, what did you feel you needed to do with your game to stand a better chance this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Anyway, I know I have to improve. Anyway, if I was winning the final last year, if I lose for sure, too, I have to improve lot of things for continuing be in the top positions. And if I want to win here any day, I need to continuing improving my serve, my volley, my slice, my aggressive game, everything. Anyway, I play two finals. That's very good. But, well, I will see tomorrow. But I have to improve. I just have 21 years old one month ago.

:lol: He totally didn't answer some of the questions that were actually asked. He must be tired.

MariaV
07-07-2007, 02:44 PM
RAFAEL NADAL: I think the Hawk Eye have mistakes sometimes. I am sure about that. I am.

:lol: So that's what they were talking about with Nole. :lol:
And Marat is not alone any more thinking the Hawk Eye can be wrong. :angel:

flavia_am
07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
:bounce:

Rafa is in the final!

Thanks for posting the press conference after the match. :kiss:

:wavey: Hello Masha!

Alexandy
07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I am so happy for Rafa and proud of him. :) He had such a tough draw and he came through it. Then all of the bad weather. I am just happy that he made it to the final and defended his points. Whatever happens tomorrow, great job by Rafa!!! :worship:

07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
:lol: So that's what they were talking about with Nole. :lol:
And Marat is not alone any more thinking the Hawk Eye can be wrong. :angel:
Oh yes it is true about Hawk Eye. I have seen Tournaments here in the U.S. where they have shown Hawk Eye to be wrong.

07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I am so happy for Rafa and proud of him. :) He had such a tough draw and he came through it. Then all of the bad weather. I am just happy that he made it to the final and defended his points. Whatever happens tomorrow, great job by Rafa!!! :worship:
I agree :yeah: And he finally got a little break with Nole having to retire. I figured Nole's back problem would finally catch up with him.

the_natural
07-08-2007, 04:19 AM
I hope rafa is well rested, he says hes got a little less pressure but I doubt it, i think its almost the same pressure as federer, cos if rafa wins Wimbledon hes the unofficial world number 1, first spaniard to win since santana, 3rd man in open era to get the Double, ends a grass court winning streak against the world number 1and supposedly one of the best ever on grass and all that shit. Federer if he loses has a winning streak at wimbledon and and ongrass to keep, plus the borgian record plus hell have 11 slams and im sure there are some other things like he has to beat rafa on grass to prove hes still better (although he did it last year but he has to prove it again i guess).

Rafa betta watch it and make sure this doesnt become the RG final, that was horrible watching him constatnly play catch up on serve, and federer stepping in and taking the backhand early for the sharp cross court angle which he can do alot more of now on grass (hopefully the speed of the court helps rafa) also i hope rafa gets more free poitns on serve, and isnt scared like he was in the RG final (honestly u gotta admit he looked petrified of losing most of the time until towards the end when he took more chances with the forehand, and he didnt even come to the net unless he was absolutley forced to).

PLEEEEEEEAASEEE Rafiki make sure u play the best aggressive match of ur life and go out there without thinking, ur backhand attacking shots seem better than ever, ur volleys are better then ever, ur returning more serves from closer in and ur getting up to 130 on first serves alot more often plus ur sliding serve is very effective, Use this to put him off!!!!!!!

Lets pray that Rafa enters THE ZONE for tommorow!!! The first set is the most important one, i think its gonna be a tie break if rafa stays confident!!! if he plays like today ........................... Also the first set is the best time cos if he stays close federer hasnt "been scared" or "felt in trouble" this past week while he was on holidays, it will work to rafas advantage (hope federer serves first and rafa breaks him or at least gets nerves outta the way, or rafa is full of confident and holds serve for this first game then is ahead on the scoreboard the whole match!!!!)

Im friggin shaking while i type this Im so nervous for Rafa

tangerine_dream
07-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Vamos Rafa :bounce: You have successfully defended your finalist points and once again proven your critics (and even some of your own fans) wrong. I could not be more impressed. Good luck in the final. :dance:

Tnn74
07-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Rafa :worship: despite everything that could have possibly went wrong, you've defined yourself as a true champion once again :hug: defending your Wimby points through adversity...

Play your perfect aggressive tennis tomorrow and go out there to take a big bite out of that gold trophy!!! Vamos the Spartan King!!! :banana:

l_mac
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
VAMOS, Rafa!

Do your best today. I feel sick.

l_mac
07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Much better start than last year. I'll say nothing about the brainfart at *0-1 40-0

flavia_am
07-08-2007, 02:38 PM
MG! What a tough match!!

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ VAMOS RAFA !!!!!!!

l_mac
07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh, God.

Please don't let the knee injury be serious.

flavia_am
07-08-2007, 04:18 PM
PLEASEEEE, NO INJURY KNEE, Rafaaaaaaa! Vamossssssss
This match is getting on my nervessssssssssss.

cc2monac
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
poor rafa....but he is fighting well!! keep on lil rafa!!! keep on!!! you can still do it!

l_mac
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Well played Rafa.

AWESOME effort.

Naide
07-08-2007, 05:04 PM
amazing tournament.
We have to be proud!

linus
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Rafa :kiss:

He does improve so so much on grass :worship: maybe skills still kinda worse than Roger while there are so many things he could manage than so many other players and he is still so young :yeah:

Now I can put away the stone coz Rafa controls clay and his clay style wont bother himself any more on other surfaces :woohoo: brighter future for us to expect :smoke:

Rafa, do love him more and more on court :hearts:

Next year lets rock indeed :rocker:

cc2monac
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
congrats rafa! even if it's over you showed what a great player you are on grass (oh! he doesn't know how to play only on clay...???...) you showed how much you deserve to be number 1 at the race and we are all proud of you!
he has been unlycky with the rain during the tourny, then with his knee but still he played a great match and lost only in 5 sets with 2 tie break! pitty he missed some great chances to take roger's serve...
anyway...congrats, next year you'll win it! (btw he did better than roger at RG!!! just for this I'm realy proud of him!)

linus
07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
This year Rafa has done almost close to perfect there :yeah:

I wont ask more :cool:

Take enough rest first, guy :aparty:

cc2monac
07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
This year Rafa has done almost close to perfect there :yeah:

I wont ask more :cool:

Take enough rest first, guy :aparty:

me too! I'm realy happy with this match (though of course I would prefer a victory for rafa!!!)
he has to rest a lil bit...he must have been tired

rafa :worship: you're the best for us all here!

anon57
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Congratulations to Nadal and his fans on a great tournament. He's proven he can play on grass and I'm sure Nadal will win Wimbledon at least once in his career.

mallorn
07-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Rafa played a great match, he can be proud of his effort. Yes, he could've played the big points a bit better (TBs and BPs in the fifth) but he played some brilliant tennis today and had a great tournament.

I hope there's nothing serious with the knee.

Langers
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Amazing performance, well done Rafa. :yeah:

cc2monac
07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
I hope there's nothing serious with the knee.

I hope too...I'm sure it realy didn't help him on the 5th set...

linus
07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
agree dears, Rafa just lost some focus and maybe he was kinda tired in the last set :hug:

anyway Roger has much more experiences on grass so we had 2 sets, isnt it :aplot: esp. the 4th set :eek: I almost couldnt believe myself :lol:

I am still excited now... I have been waiting for 2008 :cool:

guga2120
07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Tough luck to Rafa, i really thought he had him. Roger was certainly lucky with Rafa's knee. I so hope hes ok.

jcluvva
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Wow what an amazing match I was so sad Rafa lost the fifth but he's definitely going to win it one day. He's made me love him even more after today

MariaV
07-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I am SOOOOOOO proud of our Rafael! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:
And as Roger himself said I'm sure Rafa is going to win Wimbledon some time! His determination is simply amazing! I wish I posessed at least a teeny tiny part of his determination. :o :o
And an AWESOME MATCH, SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:

Sorry I haven't checked but I mean surely he's not gonna play Bastad next week? :o
I guess he just sprained the knee ligaments a bit. Let's wait for the presser. :shrug:

Johnny Groove
07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I am SOOOOOOO proud of our Rafael! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:
And as Roger himself said I'm sure Rafa is going to win Wimbledon some time! His determination is simply amazing! I wish I posessed at least a teeny tiny part of his determination. :o :o
And an AWESOME MATCH, SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:

Sorry I haven't checked but I mean surely he's not gonna play Bastad next week? :o
I guess he just sprained the knee ligaments a bit. Let's wait for the presser. :shrug:

he wasnt playing bastad anyway, love. He's playing Stuttgart and possibly Umag as a WC :hug:

guga2120
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
he wasnt playing bastad anyway, love. He's playing Stuttgart and possibly Umag as a WC :hug: Thats if his knee is ok, and if it is, thats 2 titles for him.

Johnny Groove
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Thats if his knee is ok, and if it is, thats 2 titles for him.

it was looking fine, hope there is nothing wrong

MariaV
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
he wasnt playing bastad anyway, love. He's playing Stuttgart and possibly Umag as a WC :hug:

:kiss: Thank you Jonathan, yep, I kinda forgot it all. :lol:
And yeah, I hope the knee will be OK in a week or two. :)

Eden
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Congratulations to all you in here for the performance of your man :yeah: Don't be disappointed about the loss - Rafa has the future before him :)

MariaV
07-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Congratulations to all you in here for the performance of your man :yeah: Don't be disappointed about the loss - Rafa has the future before him :)

Vielen vielen Dank! :kiss:
And Roger was very nice too! :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:

RonE
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey guys,

Just came to offer my appreciation and congratulations for your guy on a magnificent effort. He couldn't quite make it today but he put up one helluva fight and I am sure he is bound to win the big W some day soon.

You guys have a lot to be proud of as fans. Cheers :hatoff:

l_mac
07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey guys,

Just came to offer my appreciation and congratulations for your guy on a magnificent effort. He couldn't quite make it today but he put up one helluva fight and I am sure he is bound to win the big W some day soon.

You guys have a lot to be proud of as fans. Cheers :hatoff:

:hatoff:

It hurts bad though. Pleasepleaseplease could you hold off with the roasting thread until tomorrow? :lol:

NicoFan
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I still feel like crying. I wanted so much for our Rafa to win.

Hopefully he'll get over it quickly, but he looks so gutted after the match. :hug:

dorkino
07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Rafa You made us proud , :hug: :hug: :hatoff:

Hope you allllll the best always. Go for it, Rafael.

For all Rafa fans here : i guess we all 're having those mixes of feelings, right? :hug:

MariaV
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
R. Nadal
Sunday, 8 July, 2007

Roger Federer beat Rafael Nadal
7-6 (9-7), 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 6-2

Q. What would you say made the difference in this match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Some points. Just have big chances in the fifth, 15 40. Especially, well, I wasn't feel I play worse than him from the baseline, no? Maybe if we have to find any difference, maybe the difference is the serve. He serve better than me, and that's important in every surface, but in this surface more, no?

Q. Federer says yesterday in the conference you are in the driver's seat when it comes to clay, and not on grass.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I play great tournament, no? I play very good level, playing against one of the best of the history in this surface, having two chances for a win I'm playing at a similar level. I can say nothing bad about my tournament. Well, today was a little bit disappointing because I have good chances. But happy, tomorrow I will be happy about my tournament and about my game. :) :hug: :hug:

Q. Being broken for 4 2 seemed to maybe just push your game down a bit. What were you feeling at that time?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, was tough for me, no, because I have two 15 40s in the fifth. One was big chance for have the break. I wasn't lose the serve till the second game of the match. I know if I have the break in the fifth I have very good chances for have the title, no? Well, he save some points with the serve. And later when he has to win, he has to break me, he play very good. So, well, just congratulate him. Good win for him. :hatoff:

Q. What about the knee, and the injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, was not the best moment, no, because I was playing fine in the fourth for a while and I have to call to the trainer. But doesn't matter, no? Just right now is better, so doesn't matter. Don't worry about the knee. Thank you, but was fine. :shrug:

Q. On one of the breakpoints in the fifth set, you had a backhand volley to the open court but you didn't hit it that hard. Was that the key shot?

RAFAEL NADAL: On my breakpoints? No, sure not. I remember all the breakpoints if you want.

Q. What was your best opportunity?

RAFAEL NADAL: My best opportunity was in the 30 40 of the first breakpoint, the first game when I have the breakpoint. I have good return. He come back. I touch very good close backhand, and, well, he return very good the ball and I miss the forehand for go to the other side, the winner forehand. That's best chance.

Q. Federer has won so many Grand Slams now that some people are saying he could become the greatest player of all time. How much would you agree with that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the best player of the history have 14. He has 11. So he's very close. He's still playing unbelievable. Anyway, if he going to win 14 or 16 or 13, my opinion, the tennis level is the best of the history.

Q. Do you feel now that your rivalry with Roger has moved beyond questions of about preferred surface, and now there's only a few points separating you on any surface anywhere in the world?

RAFAEL NADAL: I said yesterday and this season, no, I am playing better. I am playing better than last year. I am better player than last year, sure. Maybe, well, compared with Roger right now is not possible yet because he has 11 Grand Slams, me three. But, well, I am young. I am improving every season and try continuing improving every day, practice with illusion. Well, today was tough for me, but at the same time, well, is good watch me playing one final like this against the best of the world on grass, playing at similar level. So, yeah, happy about my game and happy about my season right now. I have to continue. :hatoff: :yeah:

Q. Today you looked very angry. Were you angry or just intense concentration?

RAFAEL NADAL: On the match?

Q. Yeah. No smile, no light, nothing. :rolleyes:

RAFAEL NADAL: You watch me smile in the last matches when I am on court? And you watched me the other matches of the week?

Q. Yes. Is the same.

RAFAEL NADAL: The same? So is nothing different. Just concentrate. :yeah:

Q. You seemed to be playing a lot closer to the baseline in this match. Was that conscious? Was this a change of strategy to try to get to the net faster?

RAFAEL NADAL: I tried to play as aggressive as possible. That's my strategy. Just try to play good. I was touching very good the ball yesterday in the practicing, afternoon, today morning. During the match I was playing fine, touching very good the ball. Just try to play hard with the forehand and with all shots.

Q. You must be very tired as well. What is your preparation now for the hard court season?

RAFAEL NADAL: Clay right now.

Q. You have America coming up.

RAFAEL NADAL: I come back to Stuttgart right now next week. Important tournament. I have now the best preparation is have some days off, recover the power. After Stuttgart I going to have some more days off, one week and a half for prepare Montréal, Cincinnati and US Open.

Q. Right after the handshake at the net, the way you were sitting in your chair, you seemed very, very disappointed. Were there things going through your mind? Were you just exhausted? Did you feel the match got away from you? :cuckoo:

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing special, no? I have good chances for winning very important tournament for me. And normal. I lose one hour before. Did he mean YEAR? :scratch: I am a good loser. :D :hatoff: I accept the loss very well. And, well, the lose don't affect me more than some hours. After that I forgot and I am hundred percent fine. But, well, first moment, especially losing in fifth set, it's not easy, no? :awww: :hug: :hug: :hug:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-08/200707081183920549421.html

MariaV
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Roger's interview.

Q. I was struck by your comment after the match on court that you had to win these while you could. Do you really feel like Rafael is breathing down your neck here and all over the circuit?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, he's playing phenomenal tennis. :eek: :eek: :hatoff: He's definitely improved yet again I think. He was more ‑‑ he had more of a game plan this year than he had last year. I think last year he came out, nothing to lose, kind of hit hard but didn't know why.

This year around, he's changed his game a little bit. Plays maybe a bit more aggressive, knows the game of grass much better. That's why I think he's not only just a good clay courter, he's a good all‑around player.

That's what's going to happen anyway in the future, that everybody will be able to play on all different surfaces because it's slowing down so much. It was almost impossible to get to the net from the baseline because you neutralize the opponent so well.

What I meant with it was just because he came so close today that, you know, I think he deserves a title here. You know, he's not getting any worse, I think. It was a tough match and I have the highest respect for him. :eek: :eek: :hatoff:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-08/200707081183923732671.html

MariaV
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Tears of Joy and Relief from Federer

Sunday, 8 July, 2007

Of course there were tears - there are usually tears when Roger Federer wins a grand slam title. Five Wimbledon finals ago, they were tears of sheer joy and disbelief as the Swiss won the first of his 11 major titles.

This time they were tears of relief as the greatest player of the moment, possibly of all time, knew that he had never been as close before to losing his stranglehold on the championship that he holds most dear.

Federer equalled Bjorn Borg's record of five consecutive Wimbledon victories by beating Rafael Nadal 7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-2 in 3 hours and 34 minutes. But for a 40-minutes spell in the middle of that epic, Federer almost unravelled before our eyes. The cool master of Wimbledon was seething and, as his anger rose, so his grip on the trophy slackened. In Federer's mind, he also had to beat the Hawk-Eye electronic line-calling system. In the crowd's mind, he also had to beat the huge weight of expectation that had amassed as Federer closed in on Borg's record.

In 2003 the BBC's Sue Barker had reduced Federer to floods of tears merely by asking him how it felt to hold his first Wimbledon trophy. He was an emotional wreck.This time, now that Federer had won his fifth, she struck a nerve again.

Asking him how special this fifth title was, Federer revealed his inner-most fears in a throwaway line: "Rafa is such a great champion," he said. "He is improving every year. I'm happy with every one I get now before he takes them all." :lol:

It was meant as a joke, but it explained all anyone needed to know about Federer's rivalry with Nadal. Federer is the best player in the world but the one man who can rattle him on almost any surface is Nadal. There is something about the spin, the angles and the power that the left-hander generates that flummoxes the Swiss. "He wears you down," was the best way he could describe it.

But on grass, Nadal ought not to be a contender. Apart from Borg, no modern player has ever dominated on clay and then won on grass. But every year Nadal improves on the green stuff and this year he came close, awfully close, to winning. And Federer knew that Nadal would be back again to snap at his heels here, in Federer's home from home.

Borg had come for the final weekend to witness history being made but sitting beside Borg for the duration of the final was Manolo Santana – and he had come to watch his man to become the first Spanish winner since Santana himself back in 1966.

When Nadal reached the final last year, he did not quite believe he could win. This year Rafa smelled blood. This year Nadal knew that he could win and he knew exactly what to expect when he walked on to Centre Court.

When Federer drew first blood with the early break, a packed Centre Court breathed a sigh of relief. Much as they love Nadal, Federer was their darling for the afternoon. They wanted him to match Borg. Borg wanted him to match Borg. :lol: And he was winning. So far so good. But when Nadal flexed those massive biceps and broke back, the panic levels rose and the tension in Federer's face was clear.

These two men bring the best out of each other. They know each other's strength inside out and while they make the other play to the very peak of their form, they also cancel each other out. There were times when Federer was majestic in this final, but he could never take off and control proceedings as he usually does here.

When Federer thought he had wrapped up the first set on a tiebreak, he started to walk calmly back to his chair with that confident swagger of his. But he was pulled up short – Nadal had asked for Hawk-Eye to confirm that his backhand had actually been in and that the scores were level. The computer did its stuff and Federer was called back to serve. And he dropped the point. He eventually closed out the decider but, with the final point won, he danced backwards towards his chair while punching the air and smiling at his family and friends in the box. This was most unFederer-like.

As the momentum swung back and forth, Nadal was doing damage with his speed and power, taking the second set, while Federer was serving like a demon and winning the third. And then Federer almost hit the self-destruct button.

The normally neutral, composed Swiss imploded silently when a ball that he thought was clearly out, was called in by Hawk-Eye. He was already a break down in the fourth set by then, but the computer-generated overrule gave Nadal a break point and suddenly the champion was 3-0 and two breaks down. He could not get the thought out of his head. He asked for the machine to be switched off but got no joy. :p :lol:

However, if Federer thought the fates had conspired against him for three and a half sets, suddenly they did him a favour. Nadal, having not had a day's rest since the start of the week, called for the trainer and had his right knee taped. He was sore, he was tired – and suddenly Federer perked up. :(

That three minute time-out to gather his thoughts got him back on track and try as Nadal might – twice he held two break points as the fifth set began and twice Federer snatched them back – he knew the game was up.

That was when Federer pounced and, for the first time in nearly two sets, he looked like the champion again. His mind, for once, was in total lock-down and focused on winning and winning alone. He had claimed his fifth Wimbledon trophy. And that is when the tears started.

Written by Alix Ramsay

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2007-07-08/200707081183920973656.html?promo=personalization

The Pro
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Soooo close. I could almost feel the match going Rafa's way, but then he had the knee thing and the momentum went back to neutral, then Federer lifted his game for the crucial points on the fifth.

Still, I'm so happy for Rafa :bounce: he's played so well this year, facing down 3 of his biggest opponents and is set to take Wimbledon next year, or the one after :devil:

He just keeps getting better and better. :inlove: :tears:

MariaV
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Match report if anyone wants it.

Fifth Title For King Federer
Sunday, 8 July, 2007

Roger Federer retained his crown as king of Wimbledon, beating young Spanish prince Rafael Nadal to secure his fifth consecutive title, matching the legendary reign of the watching Bjorn Borg, the king of this court in a previous era.

The 7-6 (9-7) 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 2-6 6-2 victory he achieved followed a feast of tennis fit for any king. At three hours and 45 minutes, it was the third longest men's single final in Wimbledon's history and the most thrilling climax to the Championships since Goran Ivanisevic's dramatic victory in front of a raucous third Monday Centre Court crowd in 2001. That 2001 final is one of the most memorable matches I've ever seen. :worship: :bowdown:

Federer was at his very best, and he certainly needed to be to hold at bay the tigerish challenge of the Spanish 21-year-old. Last year Nadal lost here in four sets, this time he took the master of grass court tennis the full distance. And next year?

In a breathtaking fifth set Nadal, who had undergone treatment to his right knee towards the end of the previous set, twice held two break points. If he had cashed in on either occasion surely he would have toppled the champion. :o

But twice Federer rose magnificently to the challenge, fighting off the danger before he broke Nadal for what proved to be a crucial 4-2 lead.

Yet at the start it had seemed Federer would be in for a straightforward coronation. He broke for a 2-0 lead in the opening set, only for Nadal to pull level and push it into a tie-break.

Here a Federer trademark forehand and one of the 24 aces he struck in the match left him with three set points, only for the bounding Nadal to fight off all three and resist a fourth set point before Federer finally clinched it, by nine points to seven with a cross-court backhand volley, sparking a triumphant pirouette.

Was Nadal downhearted? Never. He set about clawing back Federer's advantage, and did not need long to do so. Three aces got the Swiss out of trouble in the sixth game of the second set but, with a 5-4 lead, Nadal conjured an incredible backhand winner while in a seated position on the baseline. That was an AMAZING point only Rafa could play! :worship: :bowdown:

The startled Federer sent a forehand wide on the next rally to offer the challenger two set points, but he needed only one, levelling the match with a glorious backhand passing shot. Another great one! :worship: :bowdown:

As it has done to so many of his opponents, Nadal's relentless play seemed to be getting to Federer, but his ability to produce aces and spectacular winners kept him in front in the third set.

As it moved towards another tie-break, Federer became involved in his longest match at this year's Wimbledon, though he took the tiebreak more easily this time, by seven points to three.

Any thought that it might be simple from there on for Federer lasted as long as the opening game of the fourth set, Nadal breaking with a forehand service return which trapped the champion coming in.

Another service break put Nadal in command at 3-0 but only after he had issued a Hawk-Eye challenge on a forehand called out. The system decided it was in by a whisker, provoking an eruption by the normally calm Federer. "How in the world was that ball in?" he asked umpire Carlos Ramos. "It [Hawk-Eye] is killing me today."

There was hope for Federer in this otherwise bleak part of the match when Nadal called for treatment to his right knee, after which he was unable to jump off so effectively on his serve, but he held on to take the set and again level things after three hours seven minutes.

Then followed the high drama of the deciding set. At 1-1 two Nadal errors saved Federer at 15-40. Then at 2-2 the champion again fell 15-40 behind but battled clear thanks to a Nadal error, followed by a crunching service winner. It provided the all-important breakthrough as Nadal then dropped serve to another of Federer's forehand specials.

With reason, the Swiss exulted. Federer sealed his initiative with three aces in the next game and Nadal, for once, had nothing left. He saved one match point on his own serve before, on the second, Federer hammered home an overhead smash and fell forward onto his face. Flat out maybe, but Wimbledon's winner for the fifth time.

Admiring it all from the Royal Box was Bjorn Borg, who was crowned here every year from 1976 until 1980. The two men are now level in the Wimbledon record books but next year will it be King Roger VI?

Written by Ronald Atkin

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/match_reports/2007-07-08/200707071183806043921.html

OK, I'm off now. Have a good week everyone! :hug: :hug: :hug: :wavey:

explicit
07-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I must say I am a bit sad, but in the same time very proud of Rafa - this has been a great match and it's a shame one of them had to lose.

When I first saw this year's draw I thought Rafa didn't have a chance to reach the final, and I really didn't have high expectations, but he proved me wrong. He had a great tournament, now he should rest a bit, play some clay tournaments and get ready for US HC season - not too many points to defend, could be his great opportunity to get closer to Fed.

NicoFan
07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
That interview just shows what a little angel our Rafa is. :hug:

And I'm in total shock that Fed has given Rafa so many kudos. Very unlike him. ;) :angel: :lol:

Tnn74
07-09-2007, 01:06 AM
just kills me to watch him after the handshake sitting with his head down :sad:
Knowing he could have walked away with this Championship, breaks my heart to see him :hug:

Rafa, I am proud of you, you truly are amazing. JUST AMAZING.

my0118
07-09-2007, 02:54 AM
I used to prefer Roger's game, but I have to say his game is also phenomenal. I don't know why there are so many people who think his game is ugly and annoying although I'm bit annoyed by his slow pace :o. I enjoyed his playing a lot. eventually his luck seemed to be all used up. feel sorry for him because he was so close and clearly was a better player. I hope he does the rest of the season better than the last year.

Alexandy
07-09-2007, 05:54 AM
I am so sad. I can't even imagine what Rafa must be feeling.

But at the same time I am so proud of him for making it that far and fighting until the end. This match sums up why I love Rafa so much. He's simply amazing. Thanks for a great Wimbledon, Rafa.

07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Rafa :sad: But Rafa will bounce :bounce: back quickly I'm sure and will be winning once again :)

the_natural
07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Roger's interview.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2007-07-08/200707081183923732671.html

Yeh just like u had the highest respect for him last year only after u were able to beat him in the Wimbledon final, but before that he was "like hewitt" and he was "just very consistent" and not that special couldnt raise his game to blast players blah blah blah, but now that u know ur able to beat him at least on grass, yeh u have the highest respect for him :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the_natural
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I said to people who asked, that god himself would have to bless him to make the final, i guess he did with the youhzny back problem, the wind against berdych (lost it mentally) and Djoko's murderous run, but i guess the divine force of luck thought that he had had enough in the final :(... Congratulations rafa, Please please PLEASE remember how to play like this for the rest of the year, your gonna lose alot more matches towards the end of this season even if u play this same aggressive style, But ur not gonna go on a drought like u did end of last year when u reverted to clay court tennis.

I really hope that rafa remembers how hes meant to play, and I wish he wouldnt play clay court tournaments now, why??? He has nothing to gain He could be resting this year hes been brutal on himself! I really Really Hope that rafa keeps up the level of play from IW and Miami, I think hes actually improved since then cos hes serving bigger and the volleys are probably better. That Return game is still a key weakness thats gonna hurt him against Berdych, Mika and any other big servers (including federer)

the_natural
07-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Btw I think the biggest missed opportunity was 15-30 5-4 3rd set with a short backhand he got over excited and ripped it, into the net, just when federer was losing it a bit and losing the focus and dropping his game a bit, If he won that point he definatley would have won the match, because at that time he was not too worn, and 2-1 woulda been too much for Federer to handle mentally

Tnn74
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Btw I think the biggest missed opportunity was 15-30 5-4 3rd set with a short backhand he got over excited and ripped it, into the net, just when federer was losing it a bit and losing the focus and dropping his game a bit, If he won that point he definatley would have won the match, because at that time he was not too worn, and 2-1 woulda been too much for Federer to handle mentally

Clearly this was THE opportunity, if he had broken him here then there would never have been a 5th set, we would have been celebrating the new champ by now :sad:

mel7777777
07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Man,Rafa. I was originnaly a Kim Clijsters and Lleyton hewitt fan but the greatest fighter in tennis with the greatest heart is definitely Rafa. What he has shown yesterday at Wimbledon against a champion like Federer is incredible. He's getting closer and closer even on grass and he's only 21 years old. He surely can win the U.S Open and can even become the nr1 this year,not so much to defend anymore.. He's a hell of a player and if he's improving his serve a bit,he'll become the greatest of all time. Rafa and Roger,you made tennis a huge sport again and it's fun and honour te be a fan of this sport again.

MariaV
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks JMP!

It's a great rivalry already and no need for insults here from neither side, the_natural and JMP! I have to leave now so please behave! :wavey:
Have a good week everyone! :wavey:

jacobhiggins
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Nice try Rafa, but Federer is still the king!

You will lift that trophy some day though!

yana
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Rafa is feeling down after losing the final...Cheer up, Rafa, you'll have your joy soon!

THE LAST ONE AT THE 2007 WIMBLEDON !!!

Hi everyone,

Where do I start? Or should I say finish? I suppose this is an end. An end to this diary that I have been doing since Wimbledon 2007 started. I could have done it yesterday night but I am sure you all understand that it was probably not the best thing to do.

A lot of people asked me why didn't I do the last one from Paris? The reason is obvious, we went out to celebrate and did not have time. After the end of the match I did not stop until we finished with the party. Here, today or yesterday it has been different.

I am not going to go into details, into what I felt, into my thoughts, into the whole thing. I am just going to say I have great memories of these 2 weeks. I think I improved, I learned things, I played good matches, difficult ones, and I got to the final again. What happened in the final has been already written a lot, analyzed and said. The only thing I am going to say is that I was sad, very sad to lose the final since I thought I could have won it. Roger is the best, we know that, but I had my chances yesterday. It's over now and it's better for me not to think about it anymore (but it is difficult!).
This is not a post to write about my feelings or about the match. I suppose this is what you all want to know. As I say I was sad, very sad, right after the match, but I have always said that I am also a good loser and forgets quickly. There are things in life, in the World we live in that are really bad and serious. To lose a match, even if it is the final of THE tennis tournament is something that only really affects me. And that's OK. I can cope with it. I will try again next year and I will work hard to keep improving.

I am writing or actually dictating this blog from home tonight. My real home in Manacor. Last night we just had a quite dinner my uncle Toni, his wife Joana Maria, my uncle Miguel Angel, Rafa Maymo, Benito and Tuts. That's it.

Simple, quite, easy. We talked a lot during dinner and watched some funny things and sports things in youtube. We remembered times of my uncle playing football, saw goals of great footballers, etc. Nothing special see? Probably a not happy night but that's OK. My father, mother, sister, Carlos Costa, ant Maria Magdalena and others went to the IMG house for dinner and to get little hours of sleep, We left London very early. It was planned like that.

Win or lose. I had a flight with my family booked at 6 am arriving at 9.15 am, so we left the house at 3.30 to the airport. Not much sleep but at least I was home early and have one more day of holidays. I will stay here and not play tennis until probably Friday.

So as a closing thing (sorry for this poor expression), I want to thank the people who helped me with this blog. Benito, my PR manager for helping me every day with it. Carlos Costa, my manager and friend, for giving me ideas and feedback from fans. The Times for hosting it and give me this space to write. I hope I was at the level required to write in it. Maybe I have a second career there in the future :-). Neil and James from the newspaper for moving it forward and specially, James, for the Gambas he sent us :-). And a very big special thanks you to all the readers of this blog and the people supporting me. I hear it's had a lot of people reading it so I am happy for that. Believe me that there were times I really didn't feel to write but I had the compromise and you have to honour them.

Thank you everybody.

Rafa Nadal

Alexandy
07-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Aww, that blog makes me so sad. :( I wish I could give Rafa a hug. I have enjoyed reading Rafa's blog so much this tournament. He seemed so much more relaxed than he was in Roland Garros. It seemed like he really showed us his personality and it makes me love him even more. What great perspective he has on his loss. I too need to remember that it's just a tennis match.

tangerine_dream
07-11-2007, 06:02 PM
"The only thing I am going to say is that I was sad, very sad to lose the final since I thought I could have won it."
Which makes the loss even tougher for him, I'm sure. :hug: I saw in Rafa's eyes the same thing I saw in Andy's eyes at the 2004 Wimby final. That same "I can beat him" look coupled with brilliant playing. And then the same empty, devastated "I can't believe I lost" look afterwards. :awww:

Interestingly enough, Roger got lucky both times, first with the rain delay and then with Rafa's injury. He's one lucky sonofagun. :p

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-11-2007, 06:09 PM
This loss really hurts.

I almost snapped when he got broken in the 5th set after missing his chance to break Fed.

Oh well. He is young and will hopefully bounce back.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger. :D

VAMOS RAFA

the_natural
07-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Thanks JMP!

It's a great rivalry already and no need for insults here from neither side, the_natural and JMP! I have to leave now so please behave! :wavey:
Have a good week everyone! :wavey:

Yes my dear. Ill be quiet, im fine I just hope rafa can recover and then keep raising his level throughout the hardcourt season and I hope that he doesnt burn out :rolleyes: hes playing too f!@# much man he deserves some pay off for it (I hope he can become as good as Kolay is on hard courts btw sorry i cant give u positive rep the stupid thing keeps saying "u got to spread some rep around before u give maria v rep.." I did but still doesnt work :(

the_natural
07-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Nice try Rafa, but Federer is still the king!

You will lift that trophy some day though!

Oh damn i just remembered another reason why i wanted rafa to win that final, cos we never woulda heard from you again because you woulda slit ur wrists the moment the umpire called game set match rafa :devil: I guess i forgot about you when u crawled back into ur hole after Federer kept losing to qualifiers. :angel: Go the USO Rafa

The_Nadal_effect
07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Don't worry people! Nadal takes Wimbly 08, for sure! :yeah:

RogiFan88
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
now that I've finally made it back to MTF, I w like to say that Raf was playing about the best tennis he's played, on a surface that suits him v well and where he has had v good results, v a rusty Rogi who had no Halle warmup, and only 5 instead of 6 matches going into the Wimby final [players do need to get into a certain rhythm to peak, which is what Raf does and has been doing all year]

Raf looked down until the ceremony where he answered Sue Barking's stupid Qs [can't stand her--just let the guys talk] -- he played better than Rogi until the deciding, crucial 5th set. Raf does everything he's supposed to do, train well, play well, win matches, win teetels... he's always focused, never goes walkabout like Rogi, he's very serious and determined, ambitious and relentless -- unlike players of his age [or older -- look at Maratski!! oops, sorry MariaV, you know what I mean!].

Raf's exceeded expectations at "only 21" and will continue in this vein for a few more years -- he's not suffering as much [as Tio Toni w like], he's winning clay matches more easily and more quickly... he's not ill, tired or injured now. It couldn't be better for the Manacori.

So Raf didn't win Wimbledon but to everyone out there he practically did as all the attention was on him. He has done no worse than Pandy who was thwarted by Richou [yay!] and as he says, "I'm only 21" -- you're right, Raf! You have so many years to capture the "Cathedral" prize and your many other goals "for improve".

Well done to Rafa, who, despite taking three days to beat The Toad [what a loser HE is... ], defended his pts in the end and was on the verge of winning his "favourite" slam under the ever-watchful eyes of Manolo.

There's always next year... in the meantime, Raf is doing whatever it takes to take No 1... s not be that difficult, no?
;)

the_natural
07-18-2007, 02:10 AM
now that I've finally made it back to MTF, I w like to say that Raf was playing about the best tennis he's played, on a surface that suits him v well and where he has had v good results, v a rusty Rogi who had no Halle warmup, and only 5 instead of 6 matches going into the Wimby final [players do need to get into a certain rhythm to peak, which is what Raf does and has been doing all year]

Raf looked down until the ceremony where he answered Sue Barking's stupid Qs [can't stand her--just let the guys talk] -- he played better than Rogi until the deciding, crucial 5th set. Raf does everything he's supposed to do, train well, play well, win matches, win teetels... he's always focused, never goes walkabout like Rogi, he's very serious and determined, ambitious and relentless -- unlike players of his age [or older -- look at Maratski!! oops, sorry MariaV, you know what I mean!].

Raf's exceeded expectations at "only 21" and will continue in this vein for a few more years -- he's not suffering as much [as Tio Toni w like], he's winning clay matches more easily and more quickly... he's not ill, tired or injured now. It couldn't be better for the Manacori.

So Raf didn't win Wimbledon but to everyone out there he practically did as all the attention was on him. He has done no worse than Pandy who was thwarted by Richou [yay!] and as he says, "I'm only 21" -- you're right, Raf! You have so many years to capture the "Cathedral" prize and your many other goals "for improve".

Well done to Rafa, who, despite taking three days to beat The Toad [what a loser HE is... ], defended his pts in the end and was on the verge of winning his "favourite" slam under the ever-watchful eyes of Manolo.

There's always next year... in the meantime, Raf is doing whatever it takes to take No 1... s not be that difficult, no?
;)

Federer hardly looked rusty, and u forgot to mention that "rogi" was playing on a surface taht was far better suited to him than to nadal, a surface which nadal has played about half as many matches on in his career, and Rafa had to play every day for a week until the final, and Rogi didnt find his head again until rafas legs finally started paying the price for playing so much tennis without rest for so long.

Federer did do one thing well, he just got the ball back into play although half heartedly, in the 5th set down 15-40 in 2 games and rafa went walkabout for those 4 break points he had by making the errors rather than making federer work for it.

Maybe next year Rafa will get the same blessings that "rogi" had this year.

Dina
07-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Word

yana
07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
According to the German press, Rafa cried for half an hour after the Wimbly final :sad:

The king of clay holds court

The female guests mostly look forward to the presence of tennis star Rafael Nadal who has set up camp these days in the tennis tournament at the Weissenhof for the third time now where he's seen as the favourite. One fan enthusiastically came to the conclusion: “He also looks damned fine in a suit”.
And from the Spanish macho: the 21-year old athlete admitted that he cried for half an hour after being defeated in the Wimbledon final: "but I put it behind me after that.”
(translated by Moondancer)

the_natural
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
According to the German press, Rafa cried for half an hour after the Wimbly final :sad:

(translated by Moondancer)

Yep u could tell that He couldnt really put it behind him like any other loss, he needed some emotional release