Why did Bjorn Borg retire? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Bjorn Borg retire?

mdhallu
07-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Federer said during the ceremony that he won't be like Borg and quit...does anyone here know why he quit?

Timariot
07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
It has been said that he got into his good friend Vitas Gerulaitis' jetset lifestyle, and got bored on his own rigorous athletes training regime. In a way, he simply burned out.

Clara Bow
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I frankly think it is because he lost Wimbly in 1981- but that may just be me.

R.Federer
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
He started very early, so I would imagine it's a combination of achieving so much and mental/physical burnout early which led him to stop. But I have never heard of it from Borg's perspective

mdhallu
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I heard he started doing drugs and almost committed suicide...

Johnny Groove
07-09-2006, 09:44 PM

this isnt VH1 Behind The Music of (Insert 80's Rock Band here) :o

BlueSwan
07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
It's not uncommon for athletes who gain massive succes very early in their career to burn out early. Borg is a prime example. For longevity, I think it's best to start achieving succes when you have grown an adult frame of mind. There are obviously lots of exceptions to this though.

Hawkman
07-09-2006, 09:53 PM
It's not uncommon for athletes who gain massive succes very early in their career to burn out early

I'm trying to think of some and barely cannot (Not the great one's anyway). I consider Borg to be one of the great's but have never been too fond of him due to his early exit in tennis. Maybe Mac, Connors and that new guy Ivan were too much to bare.

Guy is still having financial troubles today; tells you what he's about (And it ain't substance).

mdhallu
07-09-2006, 09:53 PM
this isnt VH1 Behind The Music of (Insert 80's Rock Band here) :o
haha...I'm being serious...I actually heard this from multiple people

Timariot
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Some tennis players who burned out:
-Hingis
-JMac (didn't quit, but took 6 month hiatus and never won a Slam again)
-Andrea Jaeger
-Wilander

jenanun
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
i heard that too... but could be just rumours...

DrJules
07-09-2006, 10:34 PM
A lot had to do with number of tournaments; Borg did not what to play the number required. He also was not excited by it anymore. It was apparent in the 1981 final that he was not as determined as usual. Lennart Bergalin noted it and John McEnroe noted it.

Jim Jones
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
A shame that Borg only played the Aussie Open once. Him, Chang, McEnroe could have won the tournament if they had played there more times.

Fee
07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm trying to think of some and barely cannot (Not the great one's anyway).

What would you consider the woman in your avatar?

Fee
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM

You also 'heard' Pete say that Roger is better than Laver, Borg, and Sampras combined, but have been unable to provide a source for that.

Does anyone have the Bud Collins Encyclopedia of Tennis handy? What does he say about Borg?

Timariot
07-09-2006, 11:48 PM
A shame that Borg only played the Aussie Open once. Him, Chang, McEnroe could have won the tournament if they had played there more times.

AO was almost worthless in the '70s - basically a weak Tier II. When Edmondson won it ranked 212th or so, he got into draw by his ranking - and it was only a 64-draw! Besides, total number of Slams was not considered to be as important, legacy-wise, than it is today. Standards just were different.

vogus
07-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Does anyone have the Bud Collins Encyclopedia of Tennis handy? What does he say about Borg?

you'd use Bud Collings as your main source? Come on.

Hasn't Borg himself admitted that he began smoking marijuana and freebasing cocaine in 1981? "Burned out" would have a very literal meaning as applied to Borg...

Lee
07-09-2006, 11:57 PM
One of the reason I read was: he wanted to enter a tournament in 1982 but because he didn't play enough tournaments in 1981, he could not gain direct entry and was requested to play qualifier. He was so mad and quit playing, then announced his retirement in 1983.

note: At that time, ATP had a minimun number of tournaments for players.

And was there an ATP at that time?

Bremen
07-10-2006, 12:09 AM
And was there an ATP at that time?

It was founded in the 70s.

Fee
07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
you'd use Bud Collings as your main source? Come on.

Where did I say I would use Bud Collins as a 'main source'? I simply asked if anyone could tell us what he wrote on this topic, I never said his word was gospel.

As for the history of the sport, in the past Bud Collins has been a very reliable source on some topics, mainly when he was actually there. Has the quality of his work deteriorated a little bit in the last few years? Yes, but he is still a decent tennis journalist (horrible commentator though, just a bit too loopy).

Lee
07-10-2006, 12:30 AM
It was founded in the 70s.

cobalt60
07-10-2006, 12:37 AM
There was a special on Borg on the tennis channel and although you never heard it from his lips, the documentary stated that he had had enough of his regiment as well as with the ATP. This special stated that the drugs and depression came after he retired and might have been linked to having too much time on his hands living a jetset life as well as having marital problems. Then came the financial problems.

Pigpen Stinks
07-10-2006, 12:41 AM
At the time, the general consensus was that he was devastated by the loss to McEnroe that broke his streak at Wimbledon, and the ensuing loss to McEnroe at the US Open. Who knows what the real reasons were. Probably a combination of the ATP issues, his perceived loss of dominance, and possibly some of the other personal stuff discussed. Regardless, it was too bad. There were great rivalries back in those days. But I guess a good many on this board would have been ecstatic at Borg's retirement back then since so many think this Federer-Nadal thing is so bad.

vogus
07-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Where did I say I would use Bud Collins as a 'main source'? I simply asked if anyone could tell us what he wrote on this topic, I never said his word was gospel.

my bad then.

My impression of Collins's work is that he tends to tell only one side of a story, to the exclusion of other possible angles, and present his version as fact.

Action Jackson
07-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Guy is still having financial troubles today; tells you what he's about (And it ain't substance).

Is he? How does a guy who is broke buy a million dollar villa in Dubai?

Tennis Fool
07-10-2006, 07:15 AM
I frankly think it is because he lost Wimbly in 1981- but that may just be me.
He was asked this a few years ago in an interview with NBC with McEnroe present. He said, "bad loss."

Tennis Fool
07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Is he? How does a guy who is broke buy a million dollar villa in Dubai?
Do you have to snark on everything. I hope you at least enjoy the Federafa rivalry.

Action Jackson
07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Do you have to snark on everything. I hope you at least enjoy the Federafa rivalry.

If you don't overhype everything and I don't snark, then MTF loses an important function, no.

Tennis Fool
07-10-2006, 07:19 AM
It's not uncommon for athletes who gain massive succes very early in their career to burn out early. Borg is a prime example. For longevity, I think it's best to start achieving succes when you have grown an adult frame of mind. There are obviously lots of exceptions to this though.
Insert Becker joke here.

Tennis Fool
07-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Chang skipped the Aussie too?

07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I always assumed it had to do with the way he messed up his personal life, however I certainly have no inside information. This has probably been posted before but it is such a great site.

http://www.bjornborg.net/

Be sure to check out the doll that says "The Saga". The story thankfully leaves out his relationship with that prostitute.

Bagelicious
07-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I always assumed it had to do with the way he messed up his personal life, however I certainly have no inside information. This has probably been posted before but it is such a great site.

Be sure to check out the doll that says "The Saga". The story thankfully leaves out his relationship with that prostitute.

:haha: You're right, I've seen it before (probably somewhere in the depths of GM), but it's still hilarious!

brent-o
07-12-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm trying to think of some and barely cannot (Not the great one's anyway). I consider Borg to be one of the great's but have never been too fond of him due to his early exit in tennis. Maybe Mac, Connors and that new guy Ivan were too much to bare.

Check your avatar. Capriati found success at a young age and ran into problems with drugs and the like. I know we're were probably talking just male tennis players but I thought I'd throw that in.

gsm
07-12-2006, 07:54 AM
chang played at the AO 10 times
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?prevtrnnum=&year=0&query=Singles&selTournament=580&player=C274&x=12&y=9
mcenroe 5 times
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?prevtrnnum=&year=0&query=Singles&selTournament=580&player=M047&x=14&y=9

BelgianWaffle
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM

omg :tape:

Action Jackson
07-12-2006, 01:01 PM
A lot had to do with number of tournaments; Borg did not what to play the number required. He also was not excited by it anymore. It was apparent in the 1981 final that he was not as determined as usual. Lennart Bergalin noted it and John McEnroe noted it.

Basically what happened was that he didn't want to play the required amount of tournaments and the ATP would have made him qualify for events.

thrust
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Whatever, he still had a great carrer. No doubt he had burn-out but I think the ATP was wrong to require him to qualify when he tried to return. He was, afterall, a former great champion not a newcomer.

Hawkman
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
A former great and was indeed a newcomer coming back to the tour in '92. Fool was using his Wooden Racquet; Doh !

It was an entirely new world when he came back. He lasted about 10 tournaments and I don't believe he ever won a match.

binkygirl
07-18-2006, 05:50 AM
A former great and was indeed a newcomer coming back to the tour in '92. Fool was using his Wooden Racquet; Doh !

It was an entirely new world when he came back. He lasted about 10 tournaments and I don't believe he ever won a match.

He got filleted. I don't know what made him think he could just come back and play on the main tour after not playing for a decade.

Richard_from_Cal
07-18-2006, 06:25 AM

Fool?--Quite harsh words/label...from somebody hiding behind a generic name/label.

He told me it was because of McEnroe. "You could see"...how good he would become. ---

I saw him play ...I think at Wimbledon... where the racket slipped from his hand, when he had a bandage on his thumb. It was a blister, the press [NBC] told us then. Now I wonder and am almost sure that it was tennis elbow/tendonitis...but he/Lennart just didn't want to give up the truth. You know, never give a potential edge with respect to confessing injuries?

Credit where it's due, though Hawkman, if one were to include the one in '91, all of 1992, as well as the three tournaments in '93 [San Francisco--Feb., Zaragoza--March, and Moscow--November...] then he played in eleven tourneys in that period, and didn't win a match.

salut235
06-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I just checked his statistics and in 1981 he still was on top of the tennis world winning 1 grandslam and making 2 other gs finals, and he seemed to be doing very well at the slams every year, plus he was young, heck he could've owned the all-time grandslam record if he had continued. Was he injured? Did he get married? I never really looked into it, but it's certainly interesting!

Action Jackson
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
There are plenty of Borg articles here that explain it.

The search engine works quite well.

Kitty de Sade
06-14-2007, 05:06 PM
A quick check of Imdb dot com would have told you that The Borg pulled a hat trick on one of your questions. Seriously, he's all over the place. You won't have trouble digging up a wealth of information about him. As it should be. :)

The_Nadal_effect
06-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I've heard so much about Borg. I would have loved to see him play live. BTW, I hope he's recovered from the woof-bite he suffered from.

Tennis Fool
06-14-2007, 05:13 PM
According to Borg, bad losses to McEnroe at Wimbledon and the US Open. It would be like Federer starting to lose to Nadal at non-French majors.

Roddickominator
06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Borg was afraid of the superior American players.

Kolya
06-14-2007, 05:26 PM

BS.

marcRD
06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
That alone proofs Borg is not GOAT, sad but true. If he would have been stronger and would keep fighting he would probably go down as the greatest, specialy if he had won that USOPEN title.

Byrd
06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
He had no motivation anymore.

Johnny Groove
06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
According to Borg, bad losses to McEnroe at Wimbledon and the US Open. It would be like Federer starting to lose to Nadal at non-French majors.

when that does happen, Federer wont be retiring :rolleyes:

TankingTheSet
06-14-2007, 05:56 PM
If you look at his playing activity in the last few years of his career, it looks to me like he really couldn't win any more despite trying, he was probably burnt-out. It does not look like he made a sudden decision to retire as folklore has it.

CyBorg
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I read this not long ago, interesting:

Mac being the reason Borg retired only became a popular theory years later, not at the actual time it happened.

I have many magazines, books, matches on dvd/tape from that era that shed light on this(and I won't take what Mac's thoughts on this very seriously, consider the source)

many forget borg didn't retire after the losing the '81 us open final to mac, he only retired in early 1983!(commentators/writers today love saying nonsense, like "borg left the game after the '81 us open that year, never to return again...")

did mac win any slams in 1982? no, jimmy connors won Wimbledon & the US Open in '82 & borg owned him, so does it make sense that borg would retire when his supposed superior rival Mac wasn't playing well, but a guy he owned was winning wimbledon & the us open?

the retirement announcement was shocking, since borg was still playing some atp events in '82 & many exhibitions. he wasn't sitting around doing nothing, he was still training hard, etc. in interviews throughout '82 he made it clear that he was planning on coming back in 1983.

but another setback occurred, the atp said if borg didn't commit to a certain amount of events in '83, he would be forced to play the qualifying at the french & wimbledon! can you imagine them treating one of the biggest stars in the game like that? borg told them to shove it & retired.

The tour was not very player friendly in those days. Vilas was banned for 6 months(or longer?) in '83 for accepting appearance fees, something every top player today does with no problem), which effectively ended his career

Borg had started playing a limited schedule in '79/'80 & was getting a lot of pressure from the ATP to play more(check out his player activity in 1981, the 1981 US Open was only his 7th event of the year! I doubt any top player in the history of the game has ever played that little that late in the year, unless injured, which Borg was not. its pretty appparent that borg was not interested in being a fulltime player anymore, even before he started losing to mac. and that was simply unacceptable to the atp. its pretty amazing that borg could reach 3 slam finals in '81, playing so infrequently)

His retirement was due to many factors(keep in mind the guy was a pro at 15, he had no life outside tennis his entire life, he wanted to relax a little) but the #1 reason is that the atp would not let him play when he wanted, they should be ashamed for driving away one of its brightest stars.

Also, players taking breaks & coming back was common in the 70s(Laver, Newcombe did this) so there was no reason to think his hiatus in '82 was permanent. Remember Mac took a sabbatical from the tour in '86 as well.

Great post. Borg was denied smaller events too in 1983. Once this started happening he got fed up.

Andre♥
06-14-2007, 06:27 PM

POST OF THE YEAR

:haha: x1000

shtexas
06-14-2007, 07:05 PM
At the time, I remember thinking he had been a real workhorse for many years and just tired of it all. Sort of like a mid-career swoon (a la Serena Williams) from which he simply retired.

Jim Jones
06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Borg also wanted to live his life. He loved the nighlife and dated a lot of women. I think that his only regret would be not being able to win the U.S. Open and not playing more Aussie Opens.

DhammaTiger
06-14-2007, 07:38 PM
For all those who watched Borg play, and I find myself privileged to do so, remember him as undoubtedly the greatest tennis player in the modern era. It rankles me to read posts from people who weren't even alive that time, saying he wasn't the greatest because he didn't win the U.S. Open. To answer such rubbish, I can only resort to using the famous American expletive of my generation, Baloney!!!

jmp
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Interesting thread. Borg was the reason I began watching professional tennis. I really wasn't aware of the controversy over his retirement when it happened. I was probably too young and caught up with the action on court rather than what went on behind the scenes. In the years since I've heard the Mac story and the burnt out story. This is the first I've read of the ATP pressure, though. Even with the burnt out story I missed that he turned pro at 15. I feel priviledged to have seen him play albeit on television.

His game, on court demeanor, and titles still make him tops in my book.

shtexas
06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Borg was amazing. Rafa's dominance on clay reminds me of him. But, Nadal has a ways to go. A Wimbledon title or two might help. Lol!

jazar
06-14-2007, 08:18 PM
my guess is because he wanted to

Haile Selassie
06-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Borg played from the baseline, with powerful ground-strokes and a two-handed backhand (very rare at the time and unorthodox). His calm court demeanor earned him the nickname of the "Ice Man" or "Ice-Borg. He hit the ball hard and high from the back of the court and brought it down with considerable top-spin.

In the early-1990s, Borg attempted a comeback on the men's professional tennis tour. This time around, however, he was completely unsuccessful. Playing with his old wooden rackets in an attempt to regain his once-indomitable touch, he lost his first comeback match in 1991 to Jordi Arrese at the Monte Carlo Open. A series of first-round losses to lowly-ranked players followed over the next two years. The closest he came to winning a match was in 1993 in Moscow, when he pushed Alexander Volkov to three sets and lost a final-set tie-breaker 9-7. After that match, he retired from the tour for good and confined himself to playing on the senior tour, with modern rackets, where he delighted crowds by renewing his old rivalries with McEnroe, Connors, and Vilas.

After retiring, Borg suffered a drug overdose, was rumoured to have attempted suicide (which he has denied), and had a turbulent relationship with his then-wife, the Italian singer Loredana Bertè. He later bounced back as the owner of the Björn Borg fashion label, whose most noted advertising campaigns asked Swedes (from the pages of a leading national newspaper) to "Fuck for the Future."

Santorofan
06-16-2007, 04:44 AM
When the going got tough and Borg lost two major finals in a row to upstart rival McEnroe, the Swede chose to walk away from the game with his tail between his legs at 26 yrs old. He then hit the disco circuit and pissed most of his money away. Let's not even mention him trying to sell his Wimby trophies to the highest bidder, drug overdoses and shadey business deals.

Check out the documentary "The Bjorn Borg Saga" on the tennis channel. A few highlights:

"After retiring he made up for some lost time by (according to his then wife) began to live his life more normally. this included some drug use, which he first picked up on from his friend vitas. his failed business (BBDG=Bjorn Borg Design Group) was opening and looked to be real promising. his suicide attempt scared off some of the investors but borg made a second run at opening the business but owed a lot of money to his creditors. they interviewed his business partner for his american operation and he flat out said that borg lied to him and that he was a bad apple. this is b/c borg claimed he would pay off his creditors and never did (and this made the american looked real bad on wall street). borg claims that he had no money but the documentary clearly disputes that. the documentary ends (i think it was done in the late '90s) saying that borg had a girlfriend but was living with his parents (which it shows) in sweden and playing on the seniors tour (where his parents still attend his matches) in order to make money. kind of sad that a guy of his stature (and they truly show that he did have an almost God like status for much of his life) is now 40 something years old and living with his parents and broke.

they also talked about how the amount of $ he gave to bergelin (his coach) was "peanuts" and bergelin was clearly hurt by this."

Kolya
06-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Is Borg still broke or did he make some money back with recent business ventures?

shotgun
06-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Is Borg still broke or did he make some money back with recent business ventures?

He still makes money from the branding of his name, and he owns some properties as well.

Santorofan
06-17-2007, 07:42 AM
"His life was a mess, but I'm more interested in him as a tennis player"

Fine, then look up his stats in Wikipedia or buy some old Wimbledon DVDs ;)

Action Jackson
06-17-2007, 07:51 AM

He is far from broke.

CyBorg
06-18-2007, 05:16 AM
When the going got tough and Borg lost two major finals in a row to upstart rival McEnroe, the Swede chose to walk away from the game with his tail between his legs at 26 yrs old. He then hit the disco circuit and pissed most of his money away. Let's not even mention him trying to sell his Wimby trophies to the highest bidder, drug overdoses and shadey business deals.

Check out the documentary "The Bjorn Borg Saga" on the tennis channel. A few highlights:

"After retiring he made up for some lost time by (according to his then wife) began to live his life more normally. this included some drug use, which he first picked up on from his friend vitas. his failed business (BBDG=Bjorn Borg Design Group) was opening and looked to be real promising. his suicide attempt scared off some of the investors but borg made a second run at opening the business but owed a lot of money to his creditors. they interviewed his business partner for his american operation and he flat out said that borg lied to him and that he was a bad apple. this is b/c borg claimed he would pay off his creditors and never did (and this made the american looked real bad on wall street). borg claims that he had no money but the documentary clearly disputes that. the documentary ends (i think it was done in the late '90s) saying that borg had a girlfriend but was living with his parents (which it shows) in sweden and playing on the seniors tour (where his parents still attend his matches) in order to make money. kind of sad that a guy of his stature (and they truly show that he did have an almost God like status for much of his life) is now 40 something years old and living with his parents and broke.

they also talked about how the amount of $ he gave to bergelin (his coach) was "peanuts" and bergelin was clearly hurt by this."

Basically a bunch of old wives' tales.

Jim Jones
06-18-2007, 03:00 PM
For all those who watched Borg play, and I find myself privileged to do so, remember him as undoubtedly the greatest tennis player in the modern era. It rankles me to read posts from people who weren't even alive that time, saying he wasn't the greatest because he didn't win the U.S. Open. To answer such rubbish, I can only resort to using the famous American expletive of my generation, Baloney!!!

The greatest is Rod Laver without any doubt. But Borg is up there. A shame that he retired so early. He also should have played more aussie Opens as should McEnroe. At that time it was played on grass on the Kooyang courts.

trivfun
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I really believe drugs got the best of Bjorn like it did Vitas. They played too many matches and sets and they needed drugs to recover. Likewise, their partying was unbelievable. I believe it did the same with John and wasn't just late nights. They needed to shorten the tour just a bit and give players a break.

Tennis carries that brahmin mentality to its players and their shortcomings example Roscoe Tanner but you can say that to many or all of its players.

Minnie
07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
This thread made interesting reading for me personally as Bjorn Borg was the reason I got hooked on tennis. I loved the guy's on court demeanour - have never cared for flashy, showy, tempestuous types! Mac states quite categorically in his book "Serious" that Borg wanted and needed a break from the game but the reason he walked permanently away is, as someone has already stated, was that in those days the ATP required him to play qualies. He had no real heart for doing that, lost some matches and then turned his back on the game. At the time I was unaware of this but I remember being devastated that my fav player was gone.

I was saddened to subsequently learn that the player I saw on court was not the person off it, (are any of them I wonder). Mac says in his book that no one could party like Borg! The only thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that he ran off with a 17 year old who was taking part in a wet t-shirt contest he was judging and had a son by her before marrying an Italian singer. I think he played on the seniors tour for some years but retired from that some 4 or 5 years ago now. His post tennis life seemed confused and sad to me - and I've never quite fathomed why he wanted to sell his Wimbledon trophies when a) he didn't need the money and lost money in getting them back and b) Wimbledon meant so much to him. It was especially nice to see him at Wimbledon this year with Connors and Mac before the men's final. I read a very good interview he did with a UK paper where he said that he hadn't wanted to return to Wimbledon in 2000 for the Parade of Champions and only came because he felt he had to (I suspect a bit of Mac arm twisting!). But from what he said, it seems as though he has finally found some peace in his life with his 3rd wife that enabled him to freely want to return to the place he loved the most - Centre Court at Wimbledon and meet those ghosts of the past head on. I have only ever had 2 big favourite tennis players in all the years I've been watching the game ... and I get a real kick out of knowing the first one has such admiration and respect (and personal liking) for my current one ... Roger Federer. When the 2 of them met after the final I was expecting nothing more than a warm handshake and a word of congrats from Borg, not the hug that he gave gave Roger ... I think Roger was taken aback too!

bad gambler
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM

He owns an aprtment right next to Tiger Woods on the most exclusive stretch of road in Stockholm :cool:

Lendl's Forehand
08-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, he had a 10 year career on the pro circuit so in that sense it wasn't really short. But of course he was 26 yrs old and in the prime physical shape of his life so he could have continued playing at his best for at least 2-3 more years. But he played a fairly defensive style and he burned out as a result. Johnny Mac was the final straw. He knew it would take 100% mind, body, and soul to beat McEnroe and the well had run dry. He had used it all up and he knew it. And he had too much pride to stick around and drop in the rankings (like we saw with other pure baseliners later on such as Jim Courier and Mike Chang who dropped like a stone in the rankings while still in their mid-to-late 20s).

mcnasty
09-03-2007, 01:23 PM

all or nothing, never settling for second best, that was borg. that comes with a price, alas, so i wouldn't dispute any of the documentary's claims.

his legacy, however, isn't that he's broke and lives with his parents (which i can relate to) but the modern game which he invented and won't change anytime soon maybe ever. i speak of course of the open stanced loopy western grip topspin forehand.