Favorite Beatles Album? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favorite Beatles Album?

MisterQ
05-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, it's a little random but indulge me... I picked the eight albums I suspected would be most popular, but of course there are others so you can vote for "Other." And if you can't stand the Beatles, there's an option for that too.

Conan the Librarian
05-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Conan has registered his vote. Time to close the polls.

YoursTruly
05-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Okay I cannot put myself in a position to pick ONE Beatles album. It's like a crime! That's why I just pick the greatest hits packages because it's all in one and I feel satisfied! Amazing band. I love the Beatles. :yeah:

andylover_16
05-02-2004, 12:05 AM
what idiot voted "none: i cant stand the beatles" :lol:

only kidding

But the beatles are amazing. I voted White Album even though my favorite songs are Elanor Rigby and The Long and Winding Road

MisterQ
05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Eleanor Rigby is one of my favorites, too, andylover. And I also voted for the White Album, because of the incredible variety. It goes from lovely ballads to all-out rock, plus a lot of odd stylistic imitations (like Honey Pie), for example. I also like the way that the White Album starts out fairly straight-forwardly and then seems to go insane (it gets scary at times in that second half!)

I suppose one could say that some of the other albums are "tighter" (like Rubber Soul and Revolver)... anyway, it's splitting hairs, because I like them all!

andylover_16
05-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Eleanor Rigby is one of my favorites, too, andylover. And I also voted for the White Album, because of the incredible variety. It goes from lovely ballads to all-out rock, plus a lot of odd stylistic imitations (like Honey Pie), for example. I also like the way that the White Album starts out fairly straight-forwardly and then seems to go insane (it gets scary at times in that second half!)

I suppose one could say that some of the other albums are "tighter" (like Rubber Soul and Revolver)... anyway, it's splitting hairs, because I like them all!

Exactly.

I couldnt agree with you more :)

TennisSlave
05-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Agree with both andylover and MQ. "Eleanor Rigby" has always been my Beatles favorite, but it is with the White Album that the Beatles really shine and show off their tremendous talents. I don't like their early stuff much at all.

Mrs. B
05-02-2004, 08:25 AM
this is a hard one for me so i didn't vote as i love all their albums and my brothers and i listened to them for hours at home. we sang along to those songs, including our dog who barked & howled every time he heard the intro to "Two of Us", and would 'sing' along to that particular song. The Beatles were part of my family, & i learned how to play the guitar and played some of their tunes. ahh, great memories! *wipes tear*

:)

Lee
05-02-2004, 08:48 AM
:eek: Eleanor Rigby is my favourite too. Can't believe there are so many people like this song though.

Can't pick one favourite...... It's a very, very tough decision. Need more time to think.

FryslanBoppe
05-02-2004, 08:52 AM
I have to admit I am very partial to I Am The Walrus as a song, but I do like the White Album, I will vote later.

Conan the Librarian
05-02-2004, 10:37 AM
what idiot voted "none: i cant stand the beatles" :lol:

That would be Conan. Got a problem with Conan?

amethyst
05-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Eleanor Rigby is one of the best songs ever in my eyes! I can hardly think of any song where the words and the music match so perfectly. About the albums I canīt decide because on every one of them are great songs but also ones which I donīt like at all.

MisterQ
05-02-2004, 02:05 PM
one amazing thing about Eleanor Rigby (besides the obvious fact that it uses a string quartet and no guitar/drums) is that it uses only 2 chords in the whole piece, e-minor and C! (unless you count each note of the chromatic descent under "All the Lonely People" as a separate chord...). but they are used so creatively. :)

MisterQ
05-04-2004, 02:15 AM
VH1 voted Revolver the best album of all time last year, but no one here has voted for it? interesting... (btw, I think it's absolutely impossible to pick a single best album of all time, but that's as good a pick as any)

scoobydoo
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Revolver

mattf
05-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Hmmm, It was a hard call but I've gone for the white albumn.

MisterQ
05-04-2004, 09:05 PM
:woohoo: scoobydoo :banana:

Conan the Librarian
05-04-2004, 09:10 PM
who was the other genius who voted with Conan?

MisterQ
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
who was the other genius who voted with Conan?

His name is SATAN!!! :mad:

;)

Conan the Librarian
05-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Well that's God and Satan covered. Nobody else really matters!

Aurora
05-05-2004, 08:09 AM
The White and Revolver are probably my favourite if I'm forced to choose. But I voted Sgt Peppers 'cause no one did and it was my first :o (album anyway, my first single/sexual musical experience was Twist and Shout). I still know it by heart, though not all the proper words, more how they sounded to me as I knew little English back then.

RogiFan88
05-05-2004, 09:11 PM
I voted White Album cos it rocks! but Sgt Pepper is also pure psychedellic genius! Abbey Road pretty good too... must listen to them again some time...

Conan the Librarian
05-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Conan is still waiting for the other Beatles hater to reveal themself.

It's ok, Conan will protect you from these other heathens!!

denim
05-07-2004, 02:52 AM
Conan hears "lucy in the sky with diamonds" come on the stereo and goes to drawer to fetch his earplugs lol

denim
05-07-2004, 02:54 AM
:woohoo: scoobydoo :banana:

ooh i dont think I got that albumn Q when was it released? LOL

MisterQ
05-07-2004, 05:03 AM
ooh i dont think I got that albumn Q when was it released? LOL

that's the album where all the songs were written by Ringo. (didn't do so well...) :lol:

Lee
05-07-2004, 05:55 AM
Eleanor Rigby is one of the best songs ever in my eyes! I can hardly think of any song where the words and the music match so perfectly. About the albums I canīt decide because on every one of them are great songs but also ones which I donīt like at all.

Looks like we not just have same taste in tennis players but music too! :lol:

Lee
05-07-2004, 05:57 AM
VH1 voted Revolver the best album of all time last year, but no one here has voted for it? interesting... (btw, I think it's absolutely impossible to pick a single best album of all time, but that's as good a pick as any)

I was about to vote for Revolver when I saw your post ;)

amethyst
05-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Looks like we not just have same taste in tennis players but music too! :lol:

:lol: Maybe thatīs because weīre older and wiser than the rest! :lol:

Conan the Librarian
05-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Wiser than Conan the Librarian?

amethyst
05-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Wiser than Conan the Librarian?

Conan can not be wise if he canīt stand the Beatles :p

Conan the Librarian
05-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I think you will find it is Conan and his unnamed assailant who are the last bastions of good taste!

Kristen
05-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Conan... I am a beatles hater... well, not 'hater', but I really can't get interested in them. They dont excite me as much as they do for the rest of the people here :(

Conan the Librarian
05-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Well done for coming forward, Bjorkman_Girl! You earn some bonus points with Conan!

Conan the Librarian
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
But wait! A third brave soul has joined Conan and Bjorkman_Girl! The anit-Beatles brigade is growing!

Clara Bow
05-19-2004, 06:28 AM
My favorite album is Abbey Road. I grew up to it, I think the second half is unique in the history of pop music, and "Here Comes The Sun" was played at my boyfriend's funeral in college (a group of us had a great memory singing that song - perhaps with some chemical enhancement- while camping on the first day of spring when he was still alive). I will always love that album.

Topspin Forehand
10-26-2009, 04:05 AM
I gotta go with Sgt Pepper. She's Leaving Home is gotta be the most underrated song of theirs. It was great without Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane but imagine it with those tunes. But there isn't one weak tune on that album. Revolver is awesome as well.

cobalt60
10-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favs. How random is this old thread. Sigh.
No more Mr Q and where the hell has Conan gone :sobbing: So funny.

Echoes
10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Not a whole album.

I rather like While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Clapton's solo) and What You're Doing because of the jingle jangle that would be the Byrds' trade mark. But even though the Beatles were the first, the Byrds/McGuinn did it so much better. :yeah:

GlennMirnyi
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Abbey Road.

It rules.

bokehlicious
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Sgt Pepper :cool:

buddyholly
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Any musical poll that does not include the artists' first album is pathetic and shows the poll originator has no clue at all.

''Please Please Me'' is the only Beatles album that counts. Once they became ultrafamous and got on drugs they lost their way.

jonathancrane
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2008/07/Rubber%20Soul.jpg

Har-Tru
10-26-2009, 01:40 PM
The zebra crossing one.

ShotmaKer
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM
The zebra crossing one.

Abbey Road then.

Echoes
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm no Beatles fan (far from that) but claiming that made no innovation is kind of ridiculous. They invented folk rock and the jingle jangle sound of the Byrds (thanks to the 12 string Rick, OK) and paved the way to country rock as well. They invented hard rock (not the best thing they did) and some argue they paved the way to prog rock.

They made 3 minute songs, yeah just like the Stones and the Who whom you considered top 5 rock band of all time (for the Who I'd rather say 3 minute noise).

Purple Rainbow
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Rubber Soul. The Beatles playfully experimenting, while keeping their songs melodious.

I'm surprised the White Album is leading this poll. The Beatles were falling apart at the time and it showed imho. George Harrison redeemed the album a bit with a few brilliant songs, most notably While My Guitar Gently Weeps. OK, I'll give you Helter Skelter and Happiness is a Warm Gun too.
But has anybody honestly listened to Revolution 9 more than once??

scarecrows
10-26-2009, 03:24 PM
The Beatles are so overrated :lol: Their music was easy to sell,no difficult content,no innovations,catchy 3-minutes songs.

:cuckoo:

jonathancrane
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
:cuckoo: Iīm not great fan of beatles but some of their songs are most inovative than Rolling Stones and The Who like I am the Walrus.
And who cares about Rolling Stones? Pink Floyd destroys them.

And the best one is Abey Road but I like a lot Rubber Soul.

ShotmaKer
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
:cuckoo: Iīm not great fan of beatles but some of their songs are most inovative than Rolling Stones and The Who like I am the Walrus.
And who cares about Rolling Stones? Pink Floyd destroys them.

And the best one is Abey Road but I like a lot Rubber Soul.

This man speaks the truth :worship:

Oh, and Beatles>>>Rolling Stones any day

jonathancrane
10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Beach Boys, the Beatles were vocal groups of pop music inspired by those of the 1940s',no innovation, the Stones revolutionized the use of the instruments of rock music .

You got no idea of what you talking about, The Beatles were always a step ahead of the Stones.

GlennMirnyi
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
The Beatles are so overrated :lol: Their music was easy to sell,no difficult content,no innovations,catchy 3-minutes songs.

The Beatles invented nothing,they were all about choruses and it was so since decades !The Who and the Rolling Stones were great musicians ,Beatles were mediocre musicians .If i want to listen to that genre i can pick Backstreet Boys as well !

:lol:

This poster is just baiting. Not even the most rabid Beatles fan would say something like that. :lol:

The Beatles expanded the stylings of rock and roll music more than anyone else in the 1960s, creating progressive rock in the process.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Beach Boys, the Beatles were vocal groups of pop music inspired by those of the 1940s',no innovation, the Stones revolutionized the use of the instruments of rock music .

Yet they could create beter harmonies than RS.

Echoes
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
The Stones were a great band ONLY when the great Mick Taylor was with them and because he was with them. Their best musician. He was actually too good for them. That's why he left. :yeah:

Purple Rainbow
10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
The Stones were a great band ONLY when the great Mick Taylor was with them and because he was with them. Their best musician. He was actually too good for them. That's why he left. :yeah:

I always wonder what direction the Stones would have taken if Brian Jones hadn't passed away.
On the one hand, it opened up the way to Exile on Main Street. Raw, uncompromising and widely regarded as the Stones' most influential and best album. On the other hand, Jones was a genius and I like the Stones more playful (for want of a better word) sound of the sixties over their later work.

Topspin Forehand
10-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Any musical poll that does not include the artists' first album is pathetic and shows the poll originator has no clue at all.

''Please Please Me'' is the only Beatles album that counts. Once they became ultrafamous and got on drugs they lost their way.
They were on drugs in Hamburg. Way before Please Please Me. Hope that doesn't stop you from enjoying that album. lol But I agree that Please Please Me was a great pop album with catchy tunes. Some great cover tunes as well as a few of their own.

Albop
10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Revolver.

Echoes
10-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I always wonder what direction the Stones would have taken if Brian Jones hadn't passed away.
On the one hand, it opened up the way to Exile on Main Street. Raw, uncompromising and widely regarded as the Stones' most influential and best album. On the other hand, Jones was a genius and I like the Stones more playful (for want of a better word) sound of the sixties over their later work.

That's right, I think. They were more 'unknowing' in Jones' time and I think Jones could play more instruments than MT.

But I love the Mick Taylor era because they then got a rather country sound (I'm a country fan) though this was a Gram Parsons' influence, not MT. But yeah I love MT's soli on Sway and Dead Flowers and his live improvisations. They really became a good live band with MT.

GlennMirnyi
10-26-2009, 06:19 PM
If it wasn't for the Stones rock would still be about those short silly little song :lol:.The Stones with their blues rock killed that and gave a structure to hard rock along with Cream and Zeppelin and The Who :worship: that now everyone follows .

:retard:

I'm sure the Stones are the standard of comparison when it comes to sophistication and progressiveness of music.

Do a favour to the world and shut the fuck up, you know shit about music.

buddyholly
10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
They were on drugs in Hamburg. Way before Please Please Me. Hope that doesn't stop you from enjoying that album. lol But I agree that Please Please Me was a great pop album with catchy tunes. Some great cover tunes as well as a few of their own.

OK, working class drugs were fine. It was those designer drugs and foppy clothes that did them in.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
OK, working class drugs were fine. It was those designer drugs and foppy clothes that did them in.

Actually they were crap until the psychedelic drugs kicked in.

Manon
10-27-2009, 12:43 AM
'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favs.

:yeah:

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 12:53 AM
:yeah:

Surprising from you.

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Surprising from you.

Just because I'm not a 'purist', eh hon? ;) :ras:

Those two records are true classics.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Just because I'm not a 'purist', eh hon? ;) :ras:

Those two records are true classics.

No, because you're a progressive fanatic.

Progressive fans usually prefer either Abbey Road or The White Album.

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 01:19 AM

;) :D - yeah, I know. But as much as me being a ProgDork, I at times I acknowledge other works of theirs to be just a mite 'better'.

:p

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 01:19 AM
;) :D - yeah, I know. But as much as me being a ProgDork, I at times I acknowledge other works of theirs to be just a mite 'better'.

:p

Your taste is a bit eschewed anyway. :p :lol:

;)

Just joking. :p

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Your taste is a bit eschewed anyway. :p :lol:

;)

Just joking. :p

:angel: :angel: :angel:

:D

Voo de Mar
10-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Revolver

Topspin Forehand
10-27-2009, 02:34 AM

Sgt Pepper is pretty progressive as well. A Rock Opera with some pretty complicated tunes. I think the White Album is more pure rock with some blues as well. I do like some progressive tunes but also like some of the simpler tunes. It's more about the band than the style of rock they play. It's good we can be on the same side for once though.

Lemon Custard
10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Cohesive Album... Sgt Pepper's. So that's where my vote went. None of my absolute favourites are from that album though. In fact, since they're mostly from The White Album, that's probably where my vote should have gone. Oh well!

Topspin Forehand
10-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Cohesive Album... Sgt Pepper's. So that's where my vote went. None of my absolute favourites are from that album though. In fact, since they're mostly from The White Album, that's probably where my vote should have gone. Oh well!
None of these? She's Leaving Home, Fixing a Hole, A Day in the Life, With a Little Help From My Friends, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Penny Lane. The last 2 weren't on it but should've been.

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Whatever. All of their stuff is classic. :worship:

My personal fav:

Z59HteiHkZ0

Dear Prudence! :inlove:

Voo de Mar
10-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Whatever. All of their stuff is classic. :worship:

My personal fav:

Tough to choose. My:

G9hO25z1Fu8

safinafan
10-27-2009, 05:37 AM
the white album. my fav song is while my guitar gently weeps
others hey jude, yesterday and let it be :hearts:

Sunset of Age
10-27-2009, 05:42 AM
the white album. my fav song is while my guitar gently weeps
others hey jude, yesterday and let it be :hearts:

Good choices, Voo & Safinafan. :yeah:

BD3ovfZXO5Q

"Hey Jude, don't carry the world upon your shoulder..." :worship: :worship: :worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-27-2009, 06:07 AM
I like Rubber Soul cause where they started to create new things.
Norweegian Wood and Michelle Girl and In My Life are fine pieces.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNV2vaxOQ-Y&hl=pt-br&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNV2vaxOQ-Y&hl=pt-br&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lemon Custard
10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
None of these? She's Leaving Home, Fixing a Hole, A Day in the Life, With a Little Help From My Friends, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Penny Lane. The last 2 weren't on it but should've been.

I love all of those... But, I also like Helter Skelter, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun...

I could really be here all day trying to figure this out, because there's I've got much love for the Beatles, but I think I'll stick to my original vote, I still maintain Sgt Pepper's is the best cohesive album. I have trouble not listening to the whole thing at once, whereas the other albums I can mix and match according to how I feel at the time. Like the fact that I start every road trip album with Drive My Car... :o

ShotmaKer
10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
To me, The White Album is their one album that can get me high whenever I listen to it, whatever mood I'm in. All their stuff is classic anyway. And to those who think the Stones were better, meh, :retard:

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 09:39 AM
There are some gross people in this forum :scratch: :cuckoo: Take a chill pill
I talk as much as i feel :bigwave:

If you don't mind looking like an absolute imbecile... I guess you're used to it.

Sgt Pepper is pretty progressive as well. A Rock Opera with some pretty complicated tunes. I think the White Album is more pure rock with some blues as well. I do like some progressive tunes but also like some of the simpler tunes. It's more about the band than the style of rock they play. It's good we can be on the same side for once though.

I feel it as still too psychedelic for my taste.

Gotta love songs like I Want You (She's So Heavy), even though it's a Lennon composition, You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, Here Comes The Sun...

Jōris
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
The one with Tomorrow Never Knows on it.

Peta Pan
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm one of the few that prefers their earlier stuff to their later music. My favourite Beatles song was If I Fell from A Hard Day's Night and my 2nd favourite is I Should Have Known Better... I pretty much adore every song on the A Hard Day's Night album so I guess it has to be my favourite album.

Of their later songs I really love Hey Jude, Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields - I guess I would have to say Magical Mystery Tour is my 2nd favourite album in that case.

Jimnik
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
No particular album for me but I'm not a big Beatles fan. I'm definitely not a John Lennon fan. The best songs came from Paul McCartney.

cobalt60
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
The one with Tomorrow Never Knows on it.

Revolver;)
I actually listened to Help last night ( the english version not the State side one) Classic tunes and so much better than what was out there on the radio at the time.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
No particular album for me but I'm not a big Beatles fan. I'm definitely not a John Lennon fan. The best songs came from Paul McCartney.

Captain obvious.

Peta Pan
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Opposite for me. I much preferred John's vocals

Lemon Custard
10-27-2009, 11:13 AM

No way! McCartney's vocals have so much more power and tonal quality.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:15 AM

He's talking about compositions, not vocals.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
The Beatles = McCartney.

Echoes
10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
The Beatles = George Harrison !

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
The Beatles = George Harrison !

:lol:

Good try.

jonathancrane
10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
The Beatles = McCartney.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Best composer by far.

Peta Pan
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
He's talking about compositions, not vocals.

Ahh... well I prefer Lennon there too ;)

Echoes
10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Good try.

ieJDbxRH-ck

Isn't it?

Echoes
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
(God damn it, impossible to edit my post on Firefox :mad:)

jonathancrane
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Best composer by far.

Best composer? Arguably
By far? No way

A hard's day night
Do you want to know a secret
I'll be back
You got to hide your love away
Ticket to ride
In my life
Norwegian Wood
Strawberry fields
I am the walrus
Tomorrow never knows
Across the universe
Dear prudence
Happiness is a warm gun

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
ieJDbxRH-ck

Isn't?

Good song, but that's what it is - one song.

From Abbey Road - You Never Give Me Your Money, Oh! Darling, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End;

Yellow Submarine, from the eponymous album;

From the White Album - Back in the USSR, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Blackbird, Helter Skelter;

Revolver - Eleanor Rigby, For No One, Here, There and Everywhere;

Magical Mystery Tour - Title song, The Fool on the Hill, Penny Lane

I just listed some of my favourites...

Echoes
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Yellow Submarine is really my least fave of all. Along with Helter Skelter (1st hard rock song I would say).

I rather like Back in the USSR and Blackbird. But I don't understand. Why would prog rock fanatic like these in particular?

By the way I won't teach you anything if I say George proposed more than a hundred songs to his friends and they only accepted 22 of them? And he released many of these after they split up.

Songs like Something, Here Comes The Sun, The Inner Light or Old Brown Shoes were definitely well done. And his solo stuff: My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, That Kind of Woman, Got My Mind Set On You, ...

Echoes
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I'll post here What You're Doing. I have a soft spot for this one as it's the one on which you can hear George's jingle jangle sound on his Rick 360/12, sound which will be made famous by the Byrds just a few weeks later in 1964.

NHQ1dfaq4cs

Echoes
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
And in april 1965 Ringo decided to cover Johnny Russell's Act Naturally (made famous by Buck Owens). As far as I know this must be the first alt-country song. Some months later the Byrds released Satisfied Mind with their jingle jangle sound, covering a country song made famous by Porter Wagoner, my Byrds' fave. Then Hillman (for the Byrds) and Parsons were, I think, the first to self-write alt-country songs.

NHQ1dfaq4cs

Peta Pan
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Best composer? Arguably
By far? No way

A hard's day night
Do you want to know a secret
I'll be back
You got to hide your love away
Ticket to ride
In my life
Norwegian Wood
Strawberry fields
I am the walrus
Tomorrow never knows
Across the universe
Dear prudence
Happiness is a warm gun
The list of his gems is endless :)
Good song, but that's what it is - one song.

From Abbey Road - You Never Give Me Your Money, Oh! Darling, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End;

Yellow Submarine, from the eponymous album;

From the White Album - Back in the USSR, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Blackbird, Helter Skelter;

Revolver - Eleanor Rigby, For No One, Here, There and Everywhere;

Magical Mystery Tour - Title song, The Fool on the Hill, Penny Lane

I just listed some of my favourites...
The only ones from that list that I really like are Penny Lane, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Magical Mystery Tour (and Yellow Submarine is terrible! :eek: ). I of course think Paul was brilliant too, but I've always been more partial to the John vocals and compositions :)

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Yellow Submarine is really my least fave of all. Along with Helter Skelter (1st hard rock song I would say).

I rather like Back in the USSR and Blackbird. But I don't understand. Why would prog rock fanatic like these in particular?

By the way I won't teach you anything if I say George proposed more than a hundred songs to his friends and they only accepted 22 of them? And he released many of these after they split up.

Songs like Something, Here Comes The Sun, The Inner Light or Old Brown Shoes were definitely well done. And his solo stuff: My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, That Kind of Woman, Got My Mind Set On You, ...

The fact that I like these songs has nothing to do with my prog fanaticism.

Harrison's career post-Beatles is nothing to write home about.

Echoes
10-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Harrison's post Beatles' career >>>>> Lennon's solo + McCartney (Wings + solo)

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Harrison's post Beatles' career >>>>> Lennon's solo + McCartney (Wings + solo)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Tu plaisantes!

Echoes
10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Pas du tout. :rolleyes:

Why is it so funny? Many agree with me.

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Pas du tout. :rolleyes:

Why is it so funny? Many agree with me.

Many like?

The Wings discography by itself beats anything the other Beatles have done by themselves after the breakup.

Topspin Forehand
10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Paul>John>George>Ringo for me. Paul and John are close though. Those 2 working together brought out the best of both of them. I think Harrison getting full of himself is what broke up the Beatles. He would not take suggestions from Paul and John anymore. Of course Yoko didn't help things either.

Echoes
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I've been listening to the Wings since I'm 9. At that time I loved it.

What did he do with the Wings? Some pretty good stuff: Mull of Kintyre is a masterpiece Scottish ballad, Band on the Run is a good one but he was accompanied by great musicians.

And what next? On the whole, just light music. A song like My Love is very beautiful but there's nothing to it. It's just vocals. Jets: nothing special. Coming Up: light music.

And don't tell me anything about this bullshit hard rock song for the soundtrack of the crappest 007 of the Moore era. :p

I however have a soft spot for his Hope of Deliverance from 1993 because I was 9 and it's one of the song that made me discover good music.

Harrison's music however was still very much experimental in the 70's (oriental music).

Echoes
10-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Many like?

Friends of mine. :lol:

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I've been listening to the Wings since I'm 9. At that time I loved it.

What did he do with the Wings? Some pretty good stuff: Mull of Kintyre is a masterpiece Scottish ballad, Band on the Run is a good one but he was accompanied by great musicians.

And what next? On the whole, just light music. A song like My Love is very beautiful but there's nothing to it. It's just vocals. Jets: nothing special. Coming Up: light music.

And don't tell me anything about this bullshit hard rock song for the soundtrack of the crappest 007 of the Moore era. :p

I however have a soft spot for his Hope of Deliverance from 1993 because I was 9 and it's one of the song that made me discover good music.

Harrison's music however was still very much experimental in the 70's (oriental music).

Man, you're totally underestimating The Wings.

Listen to "Wings Over America" and then we'll talk again.

Echoes
10-28-2009, 12:52 AM
I've got Paul McCartney - Wingspan Hits & History.

Most songs from this live concert you mention are on this.

So if I'm wrong on something, just convince me. Everything I say is open to criticism. :wavey:;)

GlennMirnyi
10-28-2009, 01:35 AM
I've got Paul McCartney - Wingspan Hits & History.

Most songs from this live concert you mention are on this.

So if I'm wrong on something, just convince me. Everything I say is open to criticism. :wavey:;)

Listen to the whole album and then we'll talk, really.

That album is awesome and it's a high point of any of the Beatles' solo career.

Pixie
10-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Very hard to choose one since every album is different. Probably abbey road for me for the global sound : guitars are sharp, drums sounds good for the first time and you can hear how melodic the bass is (especially on "something").

On the pop side I have a soft spot for rubber soul more than revolver. The white album would be great if it was a simple - some songs were too much.

I've always prefered Lennon's hoarse voice but Mc Cartney was a better musician - original fingerpicking on "Blackbird" for instance, interesting drums parts on "dear prudence", and his overall work on bass (like on "rain")

Pixie
10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
BTW should I rank their albums I'd do as follow :
1. Abbey Road
2. Rubber soul
3. The White album
4. The magical mystery tour (complete)
5. revolver
6. please please me
7. with the beatles
8. Beatles for sale
9. Sgt Pepper
10. help !
11. a hard day's night
12. let it be

Purple Rainbow
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Many like?

Me! :wavey:

GlennMirnyi
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Me! :wavey:

Many ≠ 1. :p

MisterQ
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Revolver and Rubber Soul are my favs. How random is this old thread. Sigh.
No more Mr Q and where the hell has Conan gone :sobbing: So funny.

Mr Q still lurks occasionally. ;) :hug:

Very strange to see this poll getting more posts now, 5 years later! :lol:

Topspin Forehand
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
BTW should I rank their albums I'd do as follow :
1. Abbey Road
2. Rubber soul
3. The White album
4. The magical mystery tour (complete)
5. revolver
6. please please me
7. with the beatles
8. Beatles for sale
9. Sgt Pepper
10. help !
11. a hard day's night
12. let it be
Why rank Sgt Pepper so low? Have you heard the whole album? (She's leaving Home, Fixing a Hole, and etc.) I guess you aren't too fond of the psychedelic/classical sound.

Pixie
11-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Why rank Sgt Pepper so low? Have you heard the whole album? (She's leaving Home, Fixing a Hole, and etc.) I guess you aren't too fond of the psychedelic/classical sound.

Hard to explain tastes actually but I wouldn't link it to the style I like. I would merely say other bands are better at playing the psychedelic vein - like the 13th floor elevator, Grateful Dead or early Pink Floyd for instance. Though my favorite songs on the LP are within you without you, being for the benefice of Mr Kite and a day in the life which probably are the most psyche of them all. :shrug:

On the other hand I know people who love the songs you mentioned when I'm actually pretty much indifferent about them. And it's not like I didn't listen closely to the whole lot. Purely tastes then.