Does anyone remember .......Sergi Bruguera [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anyone remember .......Sergi Bruguera

brickhousesupporter
05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I have been watching the Tennis Channel French Open highlights, and was pleasantly reminded about one of my favorite claycourters Sergi Bruguera. Sergi was a 2 time Champion and a 3 time finalist at the French Open. He was very dominant at Roland Garros. The funniest part about watching him play is that he did not look like the best mover and would seem to lumbering, but he was always able to get to the ball. I wonder how history will remember him.

Haile Selassie
05-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh i could forget him :fiery:

I remember his matches agains Michael Chang :sobbing:

Kolya
05-27-2007, 10:03 AM
A lot of people like Bruguera. He spun the ball more than anyone. A good player but too bad he suffered some injuries after 1994.

nory
06-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, I remember him.He was the one who prevented Jim Courier from his third French Open victory.:) I think he has joined the Outback Champions Series a couple of times recently.

STE...fans
09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Too much claycourt-dependant. He was able to win only a tournament on a different surface, in Bordeaux beating Italian Davis Cup doubles player Diego Nargiso in the final :shrug:

LeChuck
09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I was a big Muster fan, but I respected Sergi and liked his playing style. I'll never forget his victory over Sampras at Miami in 1997 (Muster benefitted from this, as he would have hated playing Sampras in the final, because he sucked against serve-volleyers). Or who could forget that epic match against Rafter at Wimbledon in 1994, when Sergi won the 5th set 13-11?
Al Costa and many other Spanish players looked up to him, and it is partially thanks to him and his influence that Spain has been such a tennis powerhouse over the past 15 years or so. Back to back French Open titles and 2 Monte-Carlo titles highlight just how awesome he was on clay.
His groundstrokes with such heavy topspin were brilliant, and he was underrated at the net.
He was born in Barcelona and has lived there basically his whole life, so failing to win his home city tournament must have been a major career regret of his. I believe he was a runner-up there twice, in 1991 and 1993.

Snowwy
10-07-2007, 04:13 AM
He apparently hit a ball with 3600 revolutions per second or something INSANE like that once.

mineralwater
10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I follow the Blackrock tour as well and Sergi is doing quite well at the moment, won a few events this year. I've just started a thread about a podcast that has a JMac tantrum but the same podcast has a funny feature about Sergi and Richard Krajicek in the showers!! I'll post the link again because it is funny!

http://www.blackrocktourofchampions.com/1/default.asp

Haile Selassie
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
He is currently the director of the Bruguera Tennis Academy Top Team. Where a lot of juniors player of many countrys visit him and have a trainning there. The academy is pretty good, have a lot of courts and the educated programe is really advance.

FilipeMB
11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
He'll play (+ Borg, Leconte, Gomez, Vilas, Wilander, Meligeni) here in Brazil in Blackrock tour. Anyone will go?

RomanBednar81
11-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I wish. Would be awesome!

DeuX.cl
11-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Oh, i remember him... he was a great tennis player. Some great matches

mineralwater
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
The Brazil tourney should be ace, he'll probably win. He's top of the rankings for the Blackrock seniors tour and should be playing at Albert Hall. I wonder how he will do on an indoor Hardcourt. If I remember correctly last years final was between 2 big servers, Haarhuis and Ivanisevic

Haile Selassie
11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
He'll play (+ Borg, Leconte, Gomez, Vilas, Wilander, Meligeni) here in Brazil in Blackrock tour. Anyone will go?

Do you have more information about it? When it is? etc.

mineralwater
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
The Brazil tournament finished on Sunday, Bruguera beat Meligeni in the final. Next tournament is Blackrock Masters in London starting next week.

Haile Selassie
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
In Argentina used to have a tv programm called atp tennis or something like that, which show us some clips of the senior tour.
What about in other countrys? Can you see some seniors matches?