Hewitt considers legal action :rolleyes: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt considers legal action :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
08-17-2002, 07:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2199598.stm

Lleyton Hewitt is considering legal action against the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) after being fined $103,000 at the Cincinnati Masters tournament last week.
Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that the world number one had referred the matter to his lawyers.

Australian Hewitt was fined by the ATP for not doing a television interview before a first-round match at the Cincinnati tournament.

But Hewitt argued that he had already agreed with the broadcaster, ESPN, to do the interview after the match.

"ESPN was satisfied with that," said Hewitt.

"(ATP boss) Mark Miles was satisfied with that and the tournament director was satisfied with that but there was one guy, the PR manager (Matt Rapp), who wasn't."

Hewitt has appealed against his fine but admitted he was disgruntled with the whole tour, which he described as a badly-run "circus".

"It's a great sport - if the ATP would just get out of the way," Hewitt told the Sunday Telegraph.

"I'll change my schedule next year if the ATP keep up with this garbage.

"You have to ask why men's tennis is struggling and you have to start by looking at the top.

"There are times you feel like (walking away) and pulling on the boots and playing footy (Australian football)."

Hewitt said he would sometimes rather be at home in Adelaide watching the Adelaide Crows AFL team.

TennisHack
08-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
"There are times you feel like (walking away) and pulling on the boots and playing footy (Australian football)."

Hewitt said he would sometimes rather be at home in Adelaide watching the Adelaide Crows AFL team.

Well if he feels that way, far be it from me to stop him :D

SanTaureau Fan
08-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Is there a specific rule which says that the ATP have the right to fine a player half of what he made during the week?

$103,000 is ridiculous lol... Why don't they just fine him 5,000,000$???

The WTA would never fine Capriati or Williams 100,000$... Hello you don't put the number 1 player in the world against you.

TheBoiledEgg
08-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Hewitt should have just tanked and told them to F off
thats what Marat/Andre/Marcelo and others would have done

but no Potato had to make sure that the ATP would get as much as possible

Sophie
08-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Between the fine and taxes I doubt if he actually made any $$ in the tournament. Taxes can be up to half. Maybe he should have not played as was his initial instinct. I am not a huge Hewitt fan but I do think he has gotten a raw deal here.

safin_fan
08-18-2002, 05:59 AM
Did all the top players also have to give a two hour interview? I'm just wondering cause i've only seen Safin's at the ATP website. I was laughing at Safin's so much! It seemed more like a visit to the therapist.

Nimi
08-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Pfff, can he shut up with his dear football for just a second?!?

fcap
08-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Lleyton should Take ATp to court there finning him like $200, 000 Aussie for nto doing ONE interveiw ... Its ridiculous!!

Jackie
08-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Niminator, the Crows are almost definately going to be in the finals. You won't shut Lleyton up about football for at least a few months

irma
08-18-2002, 01:02 PM
In this case I agree with him, this is about an interview not a pc. he went there.
it's stupid :rolleyes:
if potato had tanked then he was fined even more :p
ask Safin :p

irma
08-18-2002, 01:06 PM
who do interviewers want an interview when the person doesn't want anyway
maybe it's a challenge to get something out a person who doesn't want but other then I rather have people who want to talk and say something. just wondering.:)

TheBoiledEgg
08-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Marat didn't get fined all through last years Masters, he just turned up and played and got his "reward" of $1.5M

he only got fined in Aus 2000 cos he made it obvious by catching on of his opponents serve with his hand.

tennischick
08-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by TennisHack
Well if he feels that way, far be it from me to stop him :D

LOL!!!! i wonder if he is seriously considering a career switch? won't that be something :eek:

irma
08-18-2002, 01:13 PM
he can better become kimmy's coach and make her number 1:D
on the wta they don't have these rules:D

Experimentee
08-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Its ridiculous that he got fined that much for not doing an interview when he's done much worse things in the past and not been fined as much

Raven
08-18-2002, 02:26 PM
lol....Lleyton can go play Aussie rules if he wants....but he'll get snapped like a twig before quarter time.

tennischick
08-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
Its ridiculous that he got fined that much for not doing an interview when he's done much worse things in the past and not been fined as much

terrific point, i agree. it's almost as if he is paying NOW for everything he did in the past that got overlooked. or maybe somebody finally snapped. either way it makes the ATP look ridiculous and inconsistent IMO.

Jackie
08-18-2002, 11:52 PM
What was overlooked in the past?