Federer barely survives Monaco 6-3 2-6 6-4

LinkMage
05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Fed was awful once again.

What's up with him?

Or Levy
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Oh, good god.

At 3:3 final set I thought this match was history.

His serve, GAWDS.

Byrd
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Did u even watch the match?, fed wasn't playing too bad, much better than Rome but Monaco actually was playing a decent match, would of given alot of players problems today.

Mistaflava
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Mirka probably can't wait to go eat now...

RagingLamb
05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
the mental edge won it

bad gambler
Good workout for Fed

Give credit to Monaco, played well

bluefork

What's with your obsession with Mirka?

TheBoiledEgg
all that matters is the W at the end of the day.

got Ferrero or Safin tomorrow who will have to play their 2nd rd tomorrow :o

Regenbogen
Well that wasn't incredibly convincing. :unsure: At least he got through.

well,roger come on next match

Smasher
Federer surely isn't moving as well as last year for example. Anyway, he did what he had to in the end of the match.

nobama
05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Did u even watch the match?, fed wasn't playing too bad, much better than Rome but Monaco actually was playing a decent match, would of given alot of players problems today.Fed's got a ways to go, but at least he grinded out to a win today and not a loss. It's a step in the right direction.

Kolya
Federer just doesn't have the confidence and self-belief.

nanoman
F*ck Yeah ! A win is a win. In his current slump, a win shouldn't be taken for granted.

nobama
all that matters is the W at the end of the day.

got Ferrero or Safin tomorrow who will have to play their 2nd rd tomorrow :o
Was their match suspended because of rain?

dijus
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
good effort Juan

Pfloyd
Federer was just almost completley passionless in todays match....

Apemant
Federer: looked agitated, irritated, nervous, shaky, uncertain. Actually, the way he looked like 4 years ago. I'm really not sure what makes him so nervous. But I have a theory: normal, usual wins don't satisfy him any more. He can't rejoice in this win, for example, because it's 'only' a 2nd round AMS win. Probably his mind is full of RG and stuff like that, he'd like a chance to fight for that right away, without being 'forced' to grind his way up there just to have a chance to begin with. His apetites are too big, so he is always unhappy (except if he finally manages to do that, since it would probably have a great relaxing effect on him).

Compare this to Rafa, who visibly enjoys each of his wins no matter what round it is.

In this match, it looked like this: he would do an amazing rally, with great finishing touch - and then he would lose 2 straight points by making abysmal UEs. In the 3rd set I actually expected him to lose, not to win. And just like him, I'm not very happy that he eventually won, because I know he will not take any positives from it in his next match - but will probably be nervous just like today.

scoobs
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
He did struggle today - but at least he seemed to have some fire in his belly again and tried to change losing patterns and eke out the win.

Still, it does leave a potentially dangerous encounter with Ferrero or Safin - if he doesn't pick his level up for the next round there are two players who could take advantage.

SaFed2005
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
OMG Federer won a match!!! :rolleyes: how?

optimism
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I am starting to worry about fed now. His footwork is still not there. I suspect that, after 3 great years, he's finally exhausted inside. ( Physically he's fine. But the desire to go on court and win a match is just not there. ) Although he says he's very motivated, but deep down he wants a long break...

And those early exits seem to take a lot of confidence out of him. Hope he gets better for french open.

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, I did see the entire match, and what I saw... wasn't in any way good from Fed, to say the least. So, first: KUDOs to Monaco for putting up a good match, especially that second set! :hatoff:

But Rogelio... what is up with you? :(
TONS of UEs again, forehand MIA, serve - OFF.

Seemed nervous during the first set, competely ABSENT during the second. Fortunately he was able to step up in the third.
Hope that this match at least gave him a proper round of practice.

I don't see him winning a clay court title this year, no way, unless some miracle happens.
Anyway, a win = a win.

Apemant
05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Federer surely isn't moving as well as last year for example. Anyway, he did what he had to in the end of the match.

Moving is the least of his problems. It's all that nervousness while executing a shot. He doesn't have confidence to execute a shot even from an easy situation, let alone in the run or something like that. While he used to hit those with great precision as well, just remember all those counter-strike winners he made against Roddick in AO.

LinkMage
Federer's stats:

1st serve %: 54% (yuck!)
Winners: 44
UEs: 38 (ugh!)

DDrago2
I had the impression Monaco played above his usual, as many players lately seem to do against Federer

my0118
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
well still not roger we used to see.
anyway it would be interesting if federe and marat who are quite in slump currently play each other.

Or Levy
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
When he won the match, did he at least smile? A 'comeon' - ANY emotion whatsoever?

Apemant
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Federer's stats:

Hmm this doesn't even sound so bad... :eek:
44 winners, odd... I was willing to bet he had more UEs than winners. Hmmm, hmm, probably I expect too much from him myself so I cringe at each of his UEs but take winners for granted. :angel:

G4.
05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
he never looked interested in his match , has he been training with Gaudio lately ?

Sunset of Age
Federer's stats:

Summs it up pretty well.
Add Rogi's nervousness and apparent lack of confidence, and there you have the complete report on this match.

He didn't even seem to be happy about his win... :rolleyes:

jazar
at least he came through. but really you shouldnt be saying that for a match like this. he needs to find his form again or he can definitely kiss RG bye bye

bokehlicious
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Federer was just almost completley passionless in todays match....

He should definitely scream more vamos, that would surely help... :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM

At least I heard one "Come ON!" loud and clear. ;)

Pfloyd
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
When he won the match, did he at least smile? A 'comeon' - ANY emotion whatsoever?

I only heard one "come one". It wasn't very loud and it was in the middle of the 3rd set.

He just wasn't passionate at all today. It was almost as he didn't really care.

Even after he won he didn't look all that happy - well he should - because he managed to beat an opponent who was playing more-than-decent.

Smasher
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Moving is the least of his problems. It's all that nervousness while executing a shot. He doesn't have confidence to execute a shot even from an easy situation, let alone in the run or something like that. While he used to hit those with great precision as well, just remember all those counter-strike winners he made against Roddick in AO.
Well, I wouldn't say it's the least of his problems. He definitely has some problems with his footwork. But you are right, lack of confidence and maybe even passion are the major problems

W!MBLEDON
05-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Whatever, a win is a win. Federer struggles sometimes. Didn't Suzuki take him to a third set tiebreak in Tokyo last year? :lol:

Rommella
05-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I am starting to worry about fed now. His footwork is still not there. I suspect that, after 3 great years, he's finally exhausted inside. ( Physically he's fine. But the desire to go on court and win a match is just not there. ) Although he says he's very motivated, but deep down he wants a long break...

Right now he's closely in parallel with Borg's trajectory. Practically same age (Fed's going 26, right?) and only Borg got to pile the grand slam titles faster. Is the fire burning out? I wouldn't want to think so.

tennis2tennis
I only heard one "come one". It wasn't very loud and it was in the middle of the 3rd set.

He just wasn't passionate at all today. It was almost as he didn't really care.

Even after he won he didn't look all that happy - well he should - because he managed to beat an opponent who was playing more-than-decent.

if he celebrates people would say he's happy with an early round win, if he doesn't he's passionless...they guy simply can't win

Pfloyd

I'm done with you. I can't say anything about Federer because I'm insulting the love of your life.

If you have any objectivity at all, you would that federer was almost uncaring today.

This is not a critisism, it is what happened.

Apemant
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Well, I wouldn't say it's the least of his problems. He definitely has some problems with his footwork. But you are right, lack of confidence and maybe even passion are the major problems

Confidence is the key, moving can be straightened with good workout, training and preparation. We already know he IS capable of moving like a cat, he's not old enough to lose it for any natural reason. But confidence can't be 'practiced' - you just have to find it inside, somehow. Or else.

Great many of his UEs today weren't due to his footwork. He missed a lot of shots being completely still, i.e. positions from which you'd expect him to slay the ball with great authority.

rofe
05-16-2007, 01:31 PM
He played better than his last match and actually showed some fighting spirit during big points. He was also changing things up by coming into the net.

He obviously lacks match practice. Monaco was actually playing well so the only thing I would have liked was to see some joy in Fed's face after the win.

G4.
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
bad footwork will make you miss hit and put balls in the net , so yes they were due to his lazy footwork today . he looked slower than Karlovic at times

Or Levy
05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
So Roger played badly but still won? Sounds like a normal early round match for Roger at an AMS to me. ;)

If only it was that simple. I know he had some awful first round matches in the past, but you just can't ignore the last few months. I rather he'll get Safin in the next round, I think Safin would motivate him to get his best form. The problem is - Roger could motivate Safin to do the same.

safine
05-16-2007, 01:54 PM

how many times did you mention this today? :p

mangoes
05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm done with you. I can't say anything about Federer because I'm insulting the love of your life.

If you have any objectivity at all, you would that federer was almost uncaring today.

This is not a critisism, it is what happened.

The thing is Lafuria, you're going to bash Roger no matter the circumstances, so it's a bit hard for some of us to view your post as objective:D

bokehlicious
05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
The thing is Lafuria, you're going to bash Roger no matter the circumstances, so it's a bit hard for some of us to view your post as objective:D

To say the least... :o :) :hug: ;)

Pfloyd
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM

How is this bashing?

He just wasnt emotional. That's just what happened.

I don't get some of the people in this site....

And that's not true. I've said many nice things about Roger. However, if you choose to only see some of my posts, then you can't really accuse me of being biased.

I will root for Nadal much more, yes this is true. I will even often claim that Nadal will win in matches that he in not favored, because I often truly believe he can out grind, our out fight some of the opposition. However I will not talk crap for the sake of talking it.

All I said were my observations. It's clear Roger is in a slump at the moment.

Xristos
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
What on earth is bothering Roger?

RonE
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
That was a bit close for comfort but those who are only criticizing Federer's game without taking his opponent into account are doing Monaco a big disservice. He is a very solid claycourter and he was keeping the ball consistently deep, moving Fed around by dragging him out wide to his backhand and then hitting into the open forehand corner. Give credit where credit is due folks.

Mateya
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Cant wait Fed-Ferrero or especially Federer-Safin match :devil:
Please Marat, beat JCF :)

Monaco played very good indeed :cool:

bokehlicious
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
How is this bashing?

I guess it depends on the definition you give to the word "emotional". If it means to you that Roger would have had to jump all around the court, fist pumping all the way and shout vamosses, then yes, he lacked emotion indeed... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Keep bashing dude, you're so good at it :yeah: :cool:

SBruguera
05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
What´s happening with Fed? :eek: :eek: :eek:
His confidence must be really low. :confused:

Pfloyd
05-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I guess it depends on the definition you give to the word "emotional". If it is four you that Roger would have had to jump all around the court, fist pumping all the way and shout vamosses, then yes, he lacked emotion indeed... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Keep bashing dude, you're so good at it :yeah: :cool:

Why do you have to take things to extremes? It dosen't have to be either walking around the court with your head faced down, or celebrating most good points like Nadal does.

There are many, many, many times in which Roger has out fought the opposition and has shown clear emotion, in doing so. Mind you, he will not jump around and pump his fist, that's not his style. However, you will see him noticeably happier.

Just off the top of my head, Federer beating Nalbandian both in Rome (last year) and in Roland Garros. He wasn't at his best, but he was clearly more passionate that he was today.

All I'm pointing at is that Federer may in fact be losing a bit of hope on clay.

Now, if you consider that to be bashing then, fine. That would be your problem, not mine.

Apemant
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Not at all. Federer is a hypersensitive guy - he just doesn't show it on the outside, since he is introvert. You need something called 'empathy' to be able to read introvert people's emotions. It seems you aren't good at that if you really believe Federer doesn't have emotions or doesn't care. It's just his mask, his shield.

So, while you are perfectly correct in that he didn't SHOW any emotions - you are dead wrong if you believe it means he HAD none, inside.

Pfloyd
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Not at all. Federer is a hypersensitive guy - he just doesn't show it on the outside, since he is introvert. You need something called 'empathy' to be able to read introvert people's emotions. It seems you aren't good at that if you really believe Federer doesn't have emotions or doesn't care. It's just his mask, his shield.

So, while you are perfectly correct in that he didn't SHOW any emotions - you are dead wrong if you believe it means he HAD none, inside.

I never said that he never had any emotion inside. He just didn't show them.

mediter
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I predicted this. Monaco is another choker of this abysmal weak era.

Beforehand
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I guess it's nice to see him scrap out some tough wins, too, though...

Would like to see him playing well, but scrapping out wins when not playing so well is probably a good sign too.

anon57
05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Scraping out wins when he's not playing well is better than losing the matches when he's not playing when.

AnnaK_4ever
05-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Cant wait Fed-Ferrero or especially Federer-Safin match :devil:

It will be no contest anyway. I don't see how Ferrero or Safin could survive match between themselves AND put a good fight with Federer on the same day.

Metis
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Why is everyone so gloomy? :lol: Get a grip people! Federer won his first match and will face an opponent that will have to play 2 matches tomorrow.
I watched most of the 3rd set and he seemed to be smiling after a couple of good shots. Didn't look that bad to me. And he saved a lot of bps which at least shows some mental toughness.

Forehander
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
give him a break guys lol. He always play terrible in first rounds remember? :) lol... But don't know about the second round... Starting to lose some confidence in him especially on the clay courts.

bokehlicious
05-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Why do you have to take things to extremes? It dosen't have to be either walking around the court with your head faced down, or celebrating most good points like Nadal does.

There are many, many, many times in which Roger has out fought the opposition and has shown clear emotion, in doing so. Mind you, he will not jump around and pump his fist, that's not his style. However, you will see him noticeably happier.

Just off the top of my head, Federer beating Nalbandian both in Rome (last year) and in Roland Garros. He wasn't at his best, but he was clearly more passionate that he was today.

All I'm pointing at is that Federer may in fact be losing a bit of hope on clay.

Now, if you consider that to be bashing then, fine. That would be your problem, not mine.

The guy struggled to beat Monaco in Hamburg R2 and you would expected him to act like if he was playing the French finals ? :confused: Come on, Roger's in a slump right now and obviously lost some confidence in the process, you can't expect him to be in a positive mood these days and show much emotion on court...

Pfloyd
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
The guy struggled to beat Monaco in Hamburg R2 and you would expected him to act like if he was playing the French finals ? :confused: Come on, Roger's in a slump right now and obviously lost some confidence in the process, you can't expect him to be in a positive mood these days and show much emotion on court...

It was the semis he played Nalbandian in.

And no, I don't expect anything.

Those were just my observations.

A bit more passion in the match might have also helped him play better. I am also not saying that he should be AS emotional as he was at the French or in Rome.

It wouldn't have hurt him, you know, let Monaco know that he's there, and although he's not playing well, he's Roger Federer.

I was trying to be constructive with my comments. Like you said, he hasn't won in a tournament for a while.

Apemant
05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I never said that he never had any emotion inside. He just didn't show them.

Well that was pretty obvious. So what was the point of stating it? He just doesn't show emotions, that's the way he is - the only time when he does show them is when he can't contain them, OR when he believes noone will mind. For example, when you win a GS hardly anyone can blame you for celebrating madly. :devil:

Other times, if he can control them anyhow - he will not show emotions. That's one of the reasons why I root for him, actually.

connectolove
05-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Federer is just going through a tough time. He is afraid of losing so he is losing. He'll regain his confidence, I am sure, his career is not over yet.

~EMiLiTA~
05-16-2007, 02:36 PM
he's often more vulnerable in early rounds...and this coupled with his recent lack of form (comparatively) means i guess he hasn't got his usual confidence. a few wins here should bring it back..

Malul
05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
If only it was that simple. I know he had some awful first round matches in the past, but you just can't ignore the last few months. I rather he'll get Safin in the next round, I think Safin would motivate him to get his best form. The problem is - Roger could motivate Safin to do the same.

that´s a good thing for both of them,they really should get in better form quit quickly!

Kitty de Sade
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
It's a win for Fed, whether it was pretty or not- that's what I was hoping to see. :yeah:

Andre'sNo1Fan
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
It was the semis he played Nalbandian in.

And no, I don't expect anything.

Those were just my observations.

A bit more passion in the match might have also helped him play better. I am also not saying that he should be AS emotional as he was at the French or in Rome.

It wouldn't have hurt him, you know, let Monaco know that he's there, and although he's not playing well, he's Roger Federer.

I was trying to be constructive with my comments. Like you said, he hasn't won in a tournament for a while.
There is no point trying to be constructive with him. Anything said against Federer he takes as a personal insult towards him.

GlennMirnyi
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Andresfangirlno1 is here, so this thread is officially dead.

Good win Fed, even though you played shit.

I gotta agree with Mista, even though not about what he says. The problem is Mirka Ono.

neme6
05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
compared to some losses that he's had recently, he fought to stay in the match and at the end his game finally clicked, Monaco couldn't do anything at the end and Fed fought really well to save those 5bp at the begining of the third, still not what you expect from the champ but he showed some desire at least!

Veronique
05-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Roger has been more animated in early round matches before, especially when he had to fight to get through. We saw a little bit of emotion during his losing effort to Canas. Some Federer fans should just chill.

gillian
05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
OT: Is anyone else having trouble accessing the tournament's website?

tangerine_dream
05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Exciting match? :lol:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/e5/fullj.getty-74117507ah017_atp_master_se_11_25_09_am.jpg
HAMBURG, GERMANY - MAY 16: Actor Christopher Lee (L) and Oscar Winner Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (R) seen during the match of Roger Federer of Switzerland and Juan Monaco of Argentinia at day three of the Tennis Master Series Hamburg at Rothenbaum Tennis Centre on May 16, 2007 in Hamburg, Germany.

t0x
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I only saw the first game...

Ace, Ace, Volley Winner, Ace

I thought a double bagel was coming :P

Sounds as though he didn't keep that up though! But a wins a win.

STILL with the red shirt... boo!

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
STILL with the red shirt... boo!

Time for a petition to BURN that awful thing, don't you think? ;)

marti_228
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I predicted this. Monaco is another choker of this abysmal weak era.

I don't think Monaco choked in this match. He was playing Federer and wasn't serving for the match or anything like that. Federer might have played not so well, but he's still Federer.

ranaldo
05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Fed, get that red outfit off, take your 2006 racket, and go practice like a madman, then everything should be fine by the time Wimbledon comes.

t0x
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Time for a petition to BURN that awful thing, don't you think? ;)

Yep. I seriously think something should be done about it. It's not even that nice anyway! What was wrong with the blue thing he was wearing in doubles (actually, scratch that, he lost that match anyway lol).

Watching the highlights now... what crap serving from Federer, Monaco was making mincemeat out of his second too...

tennisgal_001
05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll try to keep it positive and say he did well to save those BPs in the 3rd set, and grinded it out, eventually finding some rhythm in the end. Monaco was consistent throughout but experience pays off, even if it was a not-so-confident Federer. I hope to see a better performance tomorrow....

And I agree, the red shirt should go back to where it came from. Enough already!

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
And I agree, the red shirt should go back to where it came from. Enough already!

To HELL with that bloody thing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I won't be able to see any matches tomorrow, so if it's pandemonium out here tomorrow, I guess I know where it comes from... :unsure:

dylan24
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
federer is a joke now
won't win any more slams this year

tennisgal_001
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
federer is a joke now
won't win any more slams this year

Don't you think you're over-exaggerating the issue a little bit?

tennisgal_001
05-16-2007, 06:38 PM
To HELL with that bloody thing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I won't be able to see any matches tomorrow, so if it's pandemonium out here tomorrow, I guess I know where it comes from... :unsure:

Don't count on it. With MTF, impossible is nothing. ;)

Allez
05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard:

The_Nadal_effect
05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Federer: looked agitated, irritated, nervous, shaky, uncertain. Actually, the way he looked like 4 years ago. I'm really not sure what makes him so nervous. But I have a theory: normal, usual wins don't satisfy him any more. He can't rejoice in this win, for example, because it's 'only' a 2nd round AMS win. Probably his mind is full of RG and stuff like that, he'd like a chance to fight for that right away, without being 'forced' to grind his way up there just to have a chance to begin with. His apetites are too big, so he is always unhappy (except if he finally manages to do that, since it would probably have a great relaxing effect on him).

Compare this to Rafa, who visibly enjoys each of his wins no matter what round it is.

In this match, it looked like this: he would do an amazing rally, with great finishing touch - and then he would lose 2 straight points by making abysmal UEs. In the 3rd set I actually expected him to lose, not to win. And just like him, I'm not very happy that he eventually won, because I know he will not take any positives from it in his next match - but will probably be nervous just like today.

MASTER CLASS: SUICIDE TENNIS

A master of tennis, I already am
But this new technic, I'd like to Slam
The process involves creating a quandary
And losing shamelessly to a certain Volandri

The process improves when you hit a staccatto
And win horridly against a certain Monaco
The idea is to make your opponent a winner
And R.I.P. as his scrumptious dinner

So, if you think your game's a menace,
Please join my club of suicide tennis!

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 07:49 PM
MASTER CLASS: SUICIDE TENNIS

A master of tennis, I already am
But this new technic, I'd like to Slam
The process involves creating a quandary
And losing shamelessly to a certain Volandri

The process improves when you hit a staccatto
And win horridly against a certain Monaco
The idea is to make your opponent a winner
And R.I.P. as his scrumptious dinner

So, if you think your game's a menace,
Please join my club of suicide tennis!

:lol: :yeah:!

But, eh... please show a little respect for dearest Rogelio, no?
He's going through a real hard time in his carreer now. :angel:

The_Nadal_effect
05-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Don't worry, this is seasonal. By the time grass season begins, I feel a lot of Fed'tards' are going to get poetic in MTF.

RonE
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Don't worry, this is seasonal. By the time grass season begins, I feel a lot of Fed'tards' are going to get poetic in MTF.

Yes, I have a few very 'poetic' recipes up my sleeve waiting to be put into good use :devil:

Snowwy
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
What's with your obsession with Mirka?

He's jealous.

Sunset of Age
05-16-2007, 10:08 PM

:lol:

I'll try my best when time's there. Unfortunately I'm not as good in poetry as you seem to be! :yeah:

calvinhobbes
05-16-2007, 10:27 PM
What happens in these matches is: everybody is suffering hell when Roger plays. Fedtards, because they fear him to lose. Rafatards and Fedhaters, because they fear him to win. The only guy who seems not to be suffering is Fed himself. I would say: as he suffers less than anybody, everybody think he is not suffering at all. . . . .:eek: :eek: :eek: