Hamburg's Retractable Roof [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hamburg's Retractable Roof

Langers
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
That's seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen on a tennis court. :lol: :worship:

The_Nadal_effect
05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Doesn't the Rod Laver arena they use at AO have one already?

eck
05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
The ones in RLA and Vodafone Arena take donkey ages to cover :zzz:
The one in Hamburg took like a break :p

Langers
05-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Doesn't the Rod Laver arena they use at AO have one already?
Yes, however:

a) The Hamburg roof is just brilliant, it looks so cool when it's in the "ready position" (is see-through) and when it's being closed;
b) It takes 4 minutes to close, whereas the one on RLA takes about 11/12 I believe.

bluefork
05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
The one in Shanghai is even better, but it's always closed during the tournament.

Langers
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
The one in Shanghai is even better, but it's always closed during the tournament.
Better? Impossible. :o :p

baghdatis
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
The one in hamburg looks like a circus roof

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Rod Laver Arena`s roof may be slow but that`s OK!!

RL Arena~~> the original & still the best<:)

W!MBLEDON
05-16-2007, 12:15 PM
^ Agreed. :p But Hamburg's is pretty awesome. :lol:

smitty8
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
The one in hamburg looks like a circus roof

Yeah, that's it, I was trying to think of a way to describe it. It's definitely interesting.

Kolya
05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
BTW how is the weather right now? Pouring?

Stensland
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
yep, the roof is pretty cool. but the cool thing is basically the little time it takes to close. on the other hand, the light on the court isn't the best as the roof kinda casts weird shadows when it's sunny; you could see that yesterday.

it's a bit like the roof at the commerzbank arena in frankfurt (soccer), where it's also quite irritating to watch matches on tv when the sun is shining. remember the first england match at the world cup? horrible to watch...the shadows looked terrible on the field.

on the other hand: big up our german craftsmanship! ;)

gusman890
05-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Isn't Hamburg's Roof see-through?

Stensland
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Isn't Hamburg's Roof see-through?

yeah, it is, but it's got these poles (or whatever it is) that hold the roof together.

look here:

http://www.dtb-tennis.de/AmRothenbaum/9697.php?selected=9115&selectedsub=9694&selsubsub=9696

Stensland
05-16-2007, 01:44 PM
see, it's like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Waldstadion_-Unterrang_%28Confed-Cup_2005%29.JPG

Jimnik
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
The Germans are the best when it comes to these sorts of things. It's really a shame that some of the other bigger tournaments haven't come up with equally good designs to Hamburg and Halle. This is allegedly the worst TMS event yet it's the only one to have a rectractable roof.

Stensland
05-16-2007, 02:20 PM
The Germans are the best when it comes to these sorts of things. It's really a shame that some of the other bigger tournaments haven't come up with equally good designs to Hamburg and Halle. This is allegedly the worst TMS event yet it's the only one to have a rectractable roof.

yeah, but that is somehow maybe our problem: infrastructure is stunning but the audience is pretty quiet (or even missing, as the high and mighty richard gasquet pointed out). you can have the best courts, roofs etc.: if the expected (or hoped for) audience just doesn't show up, it's pretty bad.

now, soccer of course is different, we (germans as a whole) love soccer and that's why the average attendance of the bundesliga (soccer) tops every other sportsleague in the world; whereas tennis has pretty much gone down the drain once boris and stich stopped playing. it always comes down to german players in the tournament in our country, people don't wanna see stepanek or anybody like that. there's just no bond, no connection. i guess we pretty much resemble with the americans on this topic.

well, but it seems as if italians or other southern people tend to come out anyways, even if there hasn't been a gs winner from your country since ages (has there EVER been an italian gs winner btw?). maybe it's down to southern hospitality or whatever, i don't know.

Burrow
05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I think Hamburgs roof looks a bit crappy, it does its job well but it looks grim and dirty.

Langers
05-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I think Hamburgs roof looks a bit crappy, it does its job well but it looks grim and dirty.
Disagree. And you missed the best part, when it was being put into action.

yonexforever
05-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Its cool enough, but when the sun is a certain position it cast very odd shadows ALL over the court.
Every one of hose pole or whatever they are show up on the court.