Curious: OPEN STANCE ==> does it stifle POWER/trunk rotation??*[eg. Hewitt`s style]?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Curious: OPEN STANCE ==> does it stifle POWER/trunk rotation??*[eg. Hewitt`s style]??

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
:wavey:
:cool:
Just thinking about this as I watched highlights of yesterday`s Hewitt vs. Calleri match;)
Of course I was happy that Hewitt won the match but mostly he just seemed to be keeping the ball in play:eek:
Whenever Calleri unleashed a forehand unfortunately Hewitt had no reply:sad:
~~
It`s been discussed before & we all know Hewitt`s game is the counter punching variety, where his opponents tend to dictate play...

Anyway Hewitt appears to be mostly muscle, so why can`t he generate his potential power:confused: :confused:

String tensions??? [Hewitt`s at 48 (mine`s 60)]:devil:
>>>
Or is it the overly open stance that Lleyton plays with, thereby preventing maxim upper body rotation~~ hence negating his potential power:confused: :confused:

Djokovic seems to have the best upper body rotation that I`ve noticed [whilst maintaining excellent balance]:cool:
Of course Gonzalez also has excellent rotation~~ though his go for broke style seems less consistent:eek:

For anyone who`s interested here`s the Hewitt vs. Calleri match [i can`t believe Lleyton won in straight sets]:D !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyI_Qk1Vwi4

Kolya
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Most ATP players play with an open stance. The only person I know who plays with a close stance is Hrbaty.

48 whoa!!! Mys 53 :D

RagingLamb
05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
higher tension --> less power, more control

Kolya
05-16-2007, 10:00 AM
higher tension --> less power, more control

Hewitt's 48 is loose mate = more power.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Hewitt's 48 is loose mate = more power.

This is confusing:confused:
You think Hewitt`s 48 string tension allows him more power:confused:

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Most ATP players play with an open stance. The only person I know who plays with a close stance is Hrbaty.

48 whoa!!! Mys 53 :D

Are you trying to tell me that players like Gonzalez play with an open stance:confused: ??

*Check out this video [of GONZO vs. RAFA at AO] & look at Fernando`s feet as he impacts the ball with his forehand~~ looks pretty closed to me [esp compared with Hewitt`s extreme open stance];)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdT0QxVtcg

Kolya
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Are you trying to tell me that players like Gonzalez play with an open stance:confused: ??

*Check out this video [of GONZO vs. RAFA at AO] & look at Fernando`s feet as he impacts the ball with his forehand~~ looks pretty closed to me [esp compared with Hewitt`s extreme open stance];)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdT0QxVtcg

Gonzo is an open stance forehand.

Kolya
05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
This is confusing:confused:
You think Hewitt`s 48 string tension allows him more power:confused:

48 is very loose - for normal people it will give them more power.

Don't know about Hewitt - he is just very conservative and doesn't go for his shots.

gebl
05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
'@@' if your tennis choices ==^ are anything like your @@?? punctuation !!** they will really @@ affect your ==> power :cool:

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 01:55 PM
'@@' if your tennis choices ==^ are anything like your @@?? punctuation !!** they will really @@ affect your ==> power :cool:

Thanks for your sincere input:sad:

gebl
05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your sincere input:sad:

~~~~~~~~!! please don't %%%%%%>> mention it ?????++@:)

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
~~~~~~~~!! please don't %%%%%%>> mention it ?????++@:)

:confused:
Didn`t realise my posting style had such a psychological affect on you:eek:
*Perhaps you need to pay the clinic a visit:p

gusman890
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
looser tension creates a trampoline effect on the ball shooting it back with more power.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:18 PM
looser tension creates a trampoline effect on the ball shooting it back with more power.

Good explanation,~ thanks:cool:

gebl
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
:confused:
Didn`t realise my posting style had such a psychological affect on you:eek:
*Perhaps you need to pay the clinic a visit:p

%%%%%%%%%%% it's real fun @@@@@@))(( doing this - :D :D :D :D as you know ++++++++++ makes crappy threads $$$$$$$^^^^ look $$$$$$$$$$$ almost important!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
%%%%%%%%%%% it's real fun @@@@@@))(( doing this - :D :D :D :D as you know ++++++++++ makes crappy threads $$$$$$$^^^^ look $$$$$$$$$$$ almost important!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

:eek: :eek:
gebl~~ face it!!!, you need help;)
"You can trust me, I`m a doctor":devil:

Forehander
05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
open stance are widely used nowadays to implant tactics. I use both at times but mostly open. It doesn't have anything to do with Hitting the ball weakly, it's hewitts personal problem that he's got an incorrect stroke in tennis. He's the best ball tapper in the game.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
open stance are widely used nowadays to implant tactics. I use both at times but mostly open. It doesn't have anything to do with Hitting the ball weakly, it's hewitts personal problem that he's got an incorrect stroke in tennis. He's the best ball tapper in the game.

Interesting:cool:
Forehander, ~how much experience do you have playing/studying tennis:confused:

MisterQ
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm no expert on tennis form, but it seems like Hewitt keeps his arms quite straight (especially on the backhand side) and keeps his elbows and wrists very steady. Also, he doesn't lean into the ball as much as some others. This helps him with consistency -- not much that can go wrong -- but lessens his power. The stroke is smooth, but there isn't that "snap" that happens when every bit of the kinetic chain is maximized as the ball makes contact with the racquet.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm no expert on tennis form, but it seems like Hewitt keeps his arms quite straight (especially on the backhand side) and keeps his elbows and wrists very steady. Also, he doesn't lean into the ball as much as some others. This helps him with consistency -- not much that can go wrong -- but lessens his power. The stroke is smooth, but there isn't that "snap" that happens when every bit of the kinetic chain is maximized as the ball makes contact with the racquet.

What you`re saying makes a lot of sense;)
*Thanks, this should help me:)

tripb19
05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
The stroke is smooth, but there isn't that "snap" that happens when every bit of the kinetic chain is maximized as the ball makes contact with the racquet.
I agree with this. :)

Forehander
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't need to prove myself or need to explain any deeper about Hewitt's stroke because it's a well known fact to personal coaches (possibly all around the world!) or anyone who can play tennis can point out the weaknesses of his strokes. To sum it all up and make it simple his hip/waist rotation is don't correlate with his arm swing - it's horrible.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't need to prove myself or need to explain any deeper about Hewitt's stroke because it's a well known fact to personal coaches (possibly all around the world!) or anyone who can play tennis can point out the weaknesses of his strokes. To sum it all up and make it simple his hip/waist rotation is don't correlate with his arm swing - it's horrible.

What you said sounds good;)
No worries mate:cool:
The fact that Hewitt`s "hip/waist rotation doesn`t correlate with his arm swing.."~ doesn`t that have something to do with the fact that his stance is far too OPEN [extreme], thereby he isn`t able to rotate through the ball-> because his trunk has already rotated & he`s essentially just using his arms:confused: ??

Forehander
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
to tell the truth i like hewitt too afterall Im aussie. I was once inspired by his fighting tennis too. He has good spirit and very friendly in person. I hope he can improve his techniques but it seems a bit too late now. But yes what you said is correct that he is only using his arm :) Also you'll see when he's trying to do a running forehand he doesn't use any hip rotation, it's not good for the back and doesn't generate alot of power.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
to tell the truth i like hewitt too afterall Im aussie. I was once inspired by his fighting tennis too. He has good spirit and very friendly in person. I hope he can improve his techniques but it seems a bit too late now. But yes what you said is correct that he is only using his arm :) Also you'll see when he's trying to do a running forehand he doesn't use any hip rotation, it's not good for the back and doesn't generate alot of power.

Thanks for your posts Forehander:)
Yeah we Aussies all have a soft spot for Hewitt [though some may be in denial:sad: ].
>>>
Anyway Hewitt`s achievements are all the more remarkable:worship: :worship: ,~considering his technique is so bad:eek:
I`m seriously worried about that back of his-> wonder if it`s already giving him pain?:sad: ?

CmonAussie
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
This video i found shows the big contrast between FED`s forehand & LLEG`s forehand~~ racket head spead is totally different!!.. Hewitt doesn`t maximise his power due to the upper body & lower body being out of sync><..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtPsPnZ7M0