Canas overated on Clay! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Canas overated on Clay!

supertommyhaas
05-16-2007, 06:09 AM
It seems as popular opinion has him 3rd fav for the french open.. Please inform me as too why this is the case??? I don't think that his clay court results have been that great!!! He will do well to make the QF.

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Next please.

Forehander
05-16-2007, 06:15 AM
He's overated because he defeated top 10 players this year as well as beating Federer twice in a row of course and made it into the finals playing against Nadal on a clay tournament.

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 06:16 AM
He has never done well at Rome or Hamburg and his best at RG is a QF this is not exactly news.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Canas is a very successful journeyman!!

Rather than clay his most impressive results have come on hardcourt [Canada 2002, Miami 2007]
Canas has never made the final of a clay AMS event><!!

>>>
He should be 15th favourite to win FO!! [3rd fav is ridiculous]!

kinglear
05-16-2007, 06:18 AM
He's overated because he defeated top 10 players this year as well as beating Federer twice in a row of course and made it into the finals playing against Nadal on a clay tournament.

I love the sarcasm. Very subtle, very well-played. BRAVO! *applause* :worship:

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Rather than clay his most impressive results have come on hardcourt [Canada 2002, Miami 2007]

>>>

Still need to throw around the journeyman tag don't you, when it's not applicable.

supertommyhaas
05-16-2007, 06:20 AM

How many top 10 players has he beaten on a clay court this year??? He has however lost to the mighty Giles Simon on a Clay court however

kinglear
05-16-2007, 06:23 AM

>>>

I hate that word. Ugh. :(

Forehander
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
I love the sarcasm. Very subtle, very well-played. BRAVO! *applause* :worship:

lol it wasn't my intention to make it sound sarcastic... I really meant it =P Maybe I used the incorrect wording lol. Sorry Tommy it wasn't meant to be offensive.

But to answer your question... dunno he just seems very in form currently. He played quite a reasonable match against Nadal. If he persist in playing the way he did against Rafa or even just that tournament he has a good chance of beating most players.

BigAlbinoDonky
05-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Canas has played very well this year, and with his style of play, it SEEMS like he should be playing even better on clay. But this has not been the case.

supertommyhaas
05-16-2007, 06:27 AM
No worries.. Im not trying to have a crack at Canas I just think he would be better on an Australian Open type surface..

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Canas has played very well this year, and with his style of play, it SEEMS like he should be playing even better on clay. But this has not been the case.

Not really, a slow hardcourt suits him better than clay.

BigAlbinoDonky
05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Not really, a slow hardcourt suits him better than clay.

That seems to be the case. I was just saying stylistically, with his grinding, clay would SEEM like a better fit to the casual fans who are overrating him.

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 06:40 AM
That seems to be the case. I was just saying stylistically, with his grinding, clay would SEEM like a better fit to the casual fans who are overrating him.

Here is the problem with Canas on clay. Yes, he is an Argie and it's assumed just cause of that, he is automatically at his best on clay, with him it's not the case and neither is it for Nalbandian, but both are very good on it.

Other factor is his backhand when he is rallying, he drops them short quite a bit and it can be exposed easier on the clay, than on a slow hardcourt, his backhand pass is excellent, just ask Henman.

Hendu
05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Here is the problem with Canas on clay. Yes, he is an Argie and it's assumed just cause of that, he is automatically at his best on clay, with him it's not the case and neither is it for Nalbandian, but both are very good on it.

You can add Chela to that list. He does very well on clay, but his best surface is a slow hardcourt.

Other factor is his backhand when he is rallying, he drops them short quite a bit and it can be exposed easier on the clay, than on a slow hardcourt, his backhand pass is excellent, just ask Henman.

The lack of touch and the inability to make drop shots don't help either.

But I think he is going to do very well in RG. He has lost a couple of big opportunities to go far in the past. I'm hoping he will make the semis. It will depend a lot in the draw, of course.

leng jai
05-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Unless you are Nadal, the draw is going to have the biggest effect on how far you go at RG.

nolop
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
cañas is overated in every aspect of tennis though :shrug:

Hendu
05-17-2007, 12:05 AM
cañas is overated in every aspect of tennis though :shrug:

explain yourself, please.

TMJordan
05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Now this is a good thread :rolleyes:

casabe
05-17-2007, 01:36 AM

I remember that match at the AO, just incredible..

GlennMirnyi
05-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Canas is overrated, period. There's no specific surface.

Hendu
05-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Canas is overrated, period. There's no specific surface.

by whom?

€Stah
05-17-2007, 08:39 AM
You are right, he is one hell of a grasscourter!:retard:

Action Jackson
05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
You can add Chela to that list. He does very well on clay, but his best surface is a slow hardcourt.

The lack of touch and the inability to make drop shots don't help either.

But I think he is going to do very well in RG. He has lost a couple of big opportunities to go far in the past. I'm hoping he will make the semis. It will depend a lot in the draw, of course.

Chela on a slow hardcourt and clay are about the same for me, he is another one who has poor touch and also hates changes in tempo, this is why he plays so well against Davydenko.

Cañas, well it depends on the draw as you said. If he makes the semis then he will have done very well. I think 4th round or QFs is more likely.

Jogy
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Canas is immense overrated by many forum people. After his two win against Federer they jump on him and think he is at sudden top 3 favorite to win French Open or Master Series.

Canas has not yet made far in Slams or Master on clay.

People are run out of excuses now soon :lol: Munich loss, they had good excuse, Rome loss another one (he was tired), now in Hamburg other loss :lol:

NyGeL
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I also agreed he has being overrated in clay, despite, with his own heart, he can reach a final round. But his best surface is hard.