Marat says lets give De Villiers a chance [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat says lets give De Villiers a chance

RickDaStick
05-16-2007, 12:37 AM
HAMBURG, Germany: Marat Safin defended ATP president Etienne de Villiers' proposed reforms Tuesday.

De Villiers has been criticized by many players — including top-ranked Roger Federer and No. 2 Rafael Nadal — for trying to eliminate the Monte Carlo and Hamburg Masters events.

Negotiations are continuing over the future of the two tournaments due to the player protests, but Safin said that men's tennis was in a worse position under De Villiers' predecessor, Mark Miles.

"It can't be worse than it used to be. When Mark Miles left we had no chances," the former top-ranked player said. "It (the ATP) was going bankrupt, no money. At least now we have a lot of sponsors. It is getting better. We have television.

"I'm sure that the CEO who is taking care of it knows what he is doing. Once we have him, let's give him a chance for four or five years to see how it goes."

Besides the proposed reforms, the ATP abandoned a round-robin format at some tour events after De Villiers made an embarrassing mistake at a Las Vegas tournament.

De Villiers ruled that James Blake, rather than Evgeny Korolev, should advance to the quarterfinals. That was later reversed after the president admitted he had not been fully aware of the rules.

"We have to believe in our people and make sure to support them, even though they're making mistakes," Safin said. "People or tennis players should understand this: not to criticize if somebody makes a small mistake. They should not be shouting. We just have to let it be."

Ivan Ljubicic, the head of the tennis players' union, is one person who is concerned at the rapid speed of the reforms.

"For 15 years we were screaming for changes, and now that we have them we feel a little bit uncomfortable with it," Ljubicic said. "We just feel like we have to slow down a little bit."

Ljubicic said the real problem is not that there are too many tournaments on the tour, but that players are expected to compete at too many of them.

"We can have 100 tournaments in the calendar," he said. "That's not a problem. And the calendar can be as long as they want. It's just that the number of tournaments we have to play is the problem.

"That's what I was trying to explain to Etienne and the other board members."

The ATP was to select the location of the 2009 Masters events in March, but no decision was made then or at a board meeting in Las Vegas in April. Ljubicic wants the Hamburg tournament to stay.

"We feel that Hamburg has a great history, over 100 years, and maybe it would be too harsh to just go against it and not give them a chance to compete with other tournaments," Ljubicic said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/15/sports/EU-SPT-TEN-Masters-Reforms.php

Johnny Groove
05-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Marat makes a good point, we should give him a chance, but its tough to do so when everything he does it a fuck-up. :shrug:

Except the 56 TMS draw, that was good, but the true problem is the schedule. But since he can't change that rapidly, the 56 wasnt a bad compromise.

cobalt60
05-16-2007, 12:44 AM
the article was posted here: ;) http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=5359912&postcount=126

NicoFan
05-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Marat makes a good point, we should give him a chance, but its tough to do so when everything he does it a fuck-up. :shrug:

Except the 56 TMS draw, that was good, but the true problem is the schedule. But since he can't change that rapidly, the 56 wasnt a bad compromise.

:eek:

I hate the 56 draw in some of the MS events. :(

If you only follow the top players, that's cool. But if you like to follow the up and coming players too, it sucks.

I like IW and Miami - the more the merrier! :yeah:

Hard Hitter
05-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Marat's very well spoken.

Johnny Groove
05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
:eek:

I hate the 56 draw in some of the MS events. :(

If you only follow the top players, that's cool. But if you like to follow the up and coming players too, it sucks.

I like IW and Miami - the more the merrier! :yeah:

I have more faves that the top players ;) And we all know that EDV isnt concerned about the Nico Massus, Ernests Gulbis', and Evegeny Korolevs of the world, but in the case of getting Fed and Nadal to play Hamburg, Cincy, and Paris (and lets be honest, thats the only reason he did it) is successful :shrug: At least, 1 for 3 ;)

El Legenda
05-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Ljubicic wants a clay AMS to stay :eek:

Horatio Caine
05-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Ljubicic wants a clay AMS to stay :eek:

If he said all this today...I reckon it is no coincidence that was still in the tournament :devil: :lol:

RsaibotD
05-16-2007, 01:35 AM
here is the article in Spanish http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=558467&s=ten&type=story

sawan66278
05-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Never, never trust anyone who is associated with the Mouse...except Steve Jobs and Pixar.

Forehander
05-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Marat's a cool guy

El Legenda
05-16-2007, 03:16 AM
Never, never trust anyone who is associated with the Mouse...except Steve Jobs and Pixar.
Not even Goofy :awww:
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/ref_goofy.jpg

Action Jackson
05-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Marat has to say that, since Tiriac is one of his managers and de Villiers is a Tiriac stooge.

CyBorg
05-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Marat has to say that because he's Russian and Russians love dictators. First Lenin. Then Stalin. Then Brezhnev. Reagan's personal bitch Gorbachev came about and left a hated man. Putin came onto the scene and now everything's roses again.

Is it possible for De Villiers to be both a dictator and a bitch?

I think he's a bitch.

Via
05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
give peace a chance? :music::drink: