Hamburg: Safin defeats Massu 7-6(7), 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hamburg: Safin defeats Massu 7-6(7), 6-4

Sparko1030
05-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Safin got by Nico but not without some trouble. It was definalty one of those rollercoaster matches :lol:

:sad: :hug: Nico-its been a long 2 weeks for him. Get some rest now.

:hatoff: Safin-I kept hoping he would self destruct but he didn't.

Bilbo
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
the infamous "due factor"

Marat :yeah:

Dilara
05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
marat :woohoo:

Kitty de Sade
05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Good to see Safin hang in and win this one. :yeah:

+alonso
05-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Woah, I saw bits whwn Safin was 4-1 up and then I got home when Nico broke back at 6-7 3-5, I'm glad Nico put up a nice fight sadly It wasn't enough, I saw the MP, and It was painful to watch! :sad: That FH missed!

Get some rest Nicolas! :sad:

Puschkin
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
not pretty, but good for Marat to come through.

jayjay
05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Pretty poor performance from both of them to be honest. Safin was on the verge of killing everyone in the stadium on many many occasions. :lol:

thiaela
05-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Congrats Marattttttttttt

Jade Fox
05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh Marat, always gotta make things hard for yourself. :rolleyes: :p

I'm glad you got through though. I don't think I could take another tiebreak.

Jevel
05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Good to see Marat got through.

bellascarlett
05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
:lol: Congrats Marat!...well good luck...hope you get past the second round. :unsure: :)

MariaV
05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Safin was on the verge of killing everyone in the stadium on many many occasions. :lol:

He killed me already. :D
These 2 volleys at 6-5 in the TB and at 5-3 serving for the match! :help: :help: It wasn't his volleying day today. :o
Nico did help him over the line. Better luck at RG for Nico! :hug:

MariaV
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
:lol: Congrats Marat!...well good luck...hope you get past the second round. :unsure: :)

JCF has been doing shockingly well lately. :o :unsure: :scared:

Geniey2g
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
I really wish Marat wasn't so insane.

LOL @ Massu's attempts to smash his racquet though- the commentators were like "Maybe he should ask Marat to come round and show him how its done" :lol:. And then, the racquet didn't even break, but he still went and changed it, haha, retard.

Burrow
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
yes, he put the towel over it so the commentators could not see it,. :tape:

*Ljubica*
05-14-2007, 06:36 PM
OK - I have a question after watching that match and listenng to our commentators here on TV. And that is why the hell do Umpires let Massu get away with his flagrant rule breaking with taking so long between serves and points? I thought Nadal was bad enough :yawn: but today they counted 33 seconds between two serves on one occasion, and later, an incredible 40 seconds :eek: Recently, Djokovic received a code violation for taking 25 seconds - so why the discrepancy? It's not like extra time being taken as a one-off after a particularly long, exciting rally, where both players need to get their breath back - he does it ALL the time? :ras: No wonder Marat was losing his cool :shrug; That would drive anyone crazy and ruin their concentration, rhythm and focus. It is flagrantly against all the rules, and some may call it cheating to upset the opponent :shrug: So why does no one do anything? Ferrer was code violated today for breaking his racquet (as well he should have been), and other players are told off for swearing, unsportsmalike conduct, on-court coaching, AND time wasting - so why not Massu? Not meaning to cause a "war" with any Massu fans here - just seems unfair to me!

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
:haha: Rosie. Marat needs Nico to take extra time to lose his cool???? :haha:

You made my day chica. ;) :lol:

I needed a laugh after the loss, and you provided it. Gracias... :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
05-14-2007, 06:41 PM
OK - I have a question after watching that match and listenng to our commentators here on TV. And that is why the hell do Umpires let Massu get away with his flagrant rule breaking with taking so long between serves and points? I thought Nadal was bad enough :yawn: but today they counted 33 seconds between two serves on one occasion, and later, an incredible 40 seconds :eek: Recently, Djokovic received a code violation for taking 25 seconds - so why the discrepancy? It's not like extra time being taken as a one-off after a particularly long, exciting rally, where both players need to get their breath back - he does it ALL the time? :ras: No wonder Marat was losing his cool :shrug; That would drive anyone crazy and ruin their concentration, rhythm and focus. It is flagrantly against all the rules, and some may call it cheating to upset the opponent :shrug: So why does no one do anything? Ferrer was code violated today for breaking his raxquet (as well he shold have been), and other players are told off for swearing, unsportsmalike conduct, oncourt coaching, AND time wasting - so why not Massu? Not meaning to cause a "war" with any Massu fans here - just seems unfair to me!

maybe the umpires know he carries a dead Racoon on his head that weighs and slows him down :devil:

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 06:43 PM
How about this...

Nico has worked very hard lately to come back. And he's finally fighting again.

He got stuck on Saturday in a rain delay and didn't finish his match until 11:00p.m. And then had to play Sunday the last match. And the organizers didn't give him any break and made him play again today.

And even though he was very tired, he fought hard even after being down two breaks in the first set.

Give him some credit.

:)

*Ljubica*
05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
:haha: Rosie. Marat needs Nico to take extra time to lose his cool???? :haha:

You made my day chica. ;) :lol:

I needed a laugh after the loss, and you provided it. Gracias... :lol:

No- Marat doesn't need any help from anyone to lose his cool - he can do that all on hs own :lol: And he is certainly no angel!!! It's just a principal thing in my eyes - whoever the opponent. Why do some players get in trouble and others not?

And TBE - "racoon" :haha: Guess I hadn't thought of that!

jayjay
05-14-2007, 06:48 PM
OK - I have a question after watching that match and listenng to our commentators here on TV. And that is why the hell do Umpires let Massu get away with his flagrant rule breaking with taking so long between serves and points? I thought Nadal was bad enough :yawn: but today they counted 33 seconds between two serves on one occasion, and later, an incredible 40 seconds :eek: Recently, Djokovic received a code violation for taking 25 seconds - so why the discrepancy? It's not like extra time being taken as a one-off after a particularly long, exciting rally, where both players need to get their breath back - he does it ALL the time? :ras: No wonder Marat was losing his cool :shrug; That would drive anyone crazy and ruin their concentration, rhythm and focus. It is flagrantly against all the rules, and some may call it cheating to upset the opponent :shrug: So why does no one do anything? Ferrer was code violated today for breaking his racquet (as well he should have been), and other players are told off for swearing, unsportsmalike conduct, on-court coaching, AND time wasting - so why not Massu? Not meaning to cause a "war" with any Massu fans here - just seems unfair to me!

Inconsistency from officials/referees/umpires in sport is unfortunately one of those things that will never go away.

I laughed when Fergus Murphy told Super Willy & Flaco today that he was going to be "strict on the coaching issue", imagine an umpire saying that to Sharapova before a match? She might faint. :D

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I can tell Nico is doing better again...the bashers are back out. :lol: :lol:

Pfloyd
05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Heh.

Good thing he didn't lose his head. He smashed the living crap out of his racket....

Blue Heart24
Marat :yeah:

NicoFan
I laughed when Fergus Murphy told Super Willy & Flaco today that he was going to be "strict on the coaching issue", imagine an umpire saying that to Sharapova before a match? She might faint. :D

You bring up a good point jayjay - the Argentines are always being coached from the stands.

I guess for the same reason no one tells Nico (and RAfa) to hurry it up is the same reason the Argentines never get fined for on court coaching. :shrug:

Beforehand
maybe the umpires know he carries a dead Racoon on his head that weighs and slows him down :devil:
:spit:

jayjay
05-14-2007, 06:52 PM
You bring up a good point jayjay - the Argentines are always being coached from the stands.

I guess for the same reason no one tells Nico (and RAfa) to hurry it up is the same reason the Argentines never get fined for on court coaching. :shrug:

Sometimes the players get warned for coaching and sometimes for taking too long in between points. And sometimes not.

As I said, inconsistency is one thing that officials in sport are very consistent at.

Geniey2g
05-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Heh.

Good thing he didn't lose his head. He smashed the living crap out of his racket....
But he didn't, though; that's the funny part! He threw it down about 3 times in a row and still didn't manage to break it. If I were Lars Graf, I would've code violated him- twice. Better yet, I would've defaulted that weirdo.

scoobs
05-14-2007, 06:55 PM
It was Lars Graff who handed out that time violation last week and guess who was in the chair for this march? You'd better believe it - Lars Graff!

Quite regardless of how much Massu had to play or otherwise to qualify, he was slower than a wet weekend out there between points and something should have been said. If they're going to ride Nadal's ass about - as they should - then it's fair they do it for other players - and not just players who Nadal happens to be playing at the time either.

Deea
05-14-2007, 07:00 PM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: mean comment tsk tsk tsk http://yelims4.free.fr/Pasdaccord/NonNon26.gif :rolls:

Way to go Marat...but whooooaaa...tough tough. But finally winning a TB (and the match :p ) made my day! :smoke: Match with Fed, match with Fed, match with Fed pleaseeeeeeeeee! *begs* :lol:

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 07:00 PM
It was Lars Graff who handed out that time violation last week and guess who was in the chair for this march? You'd better believe it - Lars Graff!

Quite regardless of how much Massu had to play or otherwise to qualify, he was slower than a wet weekend out there between points and something should have been said. If they're going to ride Nadal's ass about - as they should - then it's fair they do it for other players - and not just players who Nadal happens to be playing at the time either.

I agree - but they never have, and doubt they ever will.

I've watched Nico for 5 years - and for 5 years, he's been slow between points.

And people are just bringing this up now? :lol:

Especially Rosie who at one time was a "fan" of Nico's - or said she was at the time. ;) So she should know if she was a "fan" that he always has been slow. And no one ever says anything.

jayjay
05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
And people are just bringing this up now? :lol:

Especially Rosie who at one time was a "fan" of Nico's - or said she was at the time. ;) So she should know if she was a "fan" that he always has been slow. And no one ever says anything.

Don't worry about Scoobs, he can be pretty 'slow' sometimes too. :)

Sparko1030
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I can tell Nico is doing better again...the bashers are back out. :lol: :lol:

:rolls:

1. its not his fault the umpires don't call him on how much time he takes-I don't know why but he's been doing it as long as I been a fan. :shrug: Don't blame Nico for the lack of consitancy of the umpiring. :rolleyes:

2. Nico's "racoon" hair rocks :rocker2: :lol:

I wouldn't have started a thread had I thought this would happen :haha: I thought the GM had gotten a little more civil and relevant-my mistake. ;)

Love ya Nico!!!

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 07:29 PM
GM civil and relevant??? :eek: The world as we know it would be about to come to an end if that were to happen. :lol: :lol:

I love Nico's hair too. :yeah: :rocker:

scoobs
05-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Don't worry about Scoobs, he can be pretty 'slow' sometimes too. :)
I can't say I've ever particularly noticed Massu before being that slow - not until last week in Rome when his Gonzalez match went on forever. Today he seemed even worse.

And I don't understand the logic - if he's not called on it then it's okay to break the rules? I mean, it's okay for me to rob someone's house if I don't get caught? I can say "hey, don't blame me because the police don't enforce the law - it's their fault?" Yes they should enforce it with him but that doesn't excuse him of all responsibility :)

And I'm not slow. Not really. I was too busy noticing he'd shaved his facial hair off last week, and that he's growing it back now :)

nolop
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
predictable :zzz:

jayjay
05-14-2007, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=scoobsuk;5354671]And I don't understand the logic - if he's not called on it then it's okay to break the rules? I mean, it's okay for me to rob someone's house if I don't get caught? I can say "hey, don't blame me because the police don't enforce the law - it's their fault?" Yes they should enforce it with him but that doesn't excuse him of all responsibility :)

I don't disagree. If the rules are broken they should be enforced against whoever and whenever, but of course, this brings me back the initial point. Inconsistency of officials. It's a sad state of affairs that players and fans alike have now become accustomed to wank officiating, because we don't expect any different.

And I'm not slow. Not really.

I was just joking of course. :D

NicoFan
05-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Scoobs :lol: you haven't been paying attention.

Nico's always been slow. That was all the talk on GM during the Olympics. Not on the great accomplishment of winning gold in doubles and singles but how slow he was between points. :lol:

And again I agree that it s/b called. But no one does. Just like they don't call on court coaching during matches. Or numerous other infractions.

EDIT: BTW - when Nico does get called on it by the chair umpire (which yes does happen), he goes up to speed. Which has always made me wonder why others don't call him on it. Eventually he would stop being slow because he'd know they'd call him on it. Ditto for Rafa.

Sparko1030
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I can't say I've ever particularly noticed Massu before being that slow - not until last week in Rome when his Gonzalez match went on forever. Today he seemed even worse.

And I don't understand the logic - if he's not called on it then it's okay to break the rules? I mean, it's okay for me to rob someone's house if I don't get caught? I can say "hey, don't blame me because the police don't enforce the law - it's their fault?" Yes they should enforce it with him but that doesn't excuse him of all responsibility :)

And I'm not slow. Not really. I was too busy noticing he'd shaved his facial hair off last week, and that he's growing it back now :)

Well, I don't think stealing and taking too mucn time b/t serves is quite the same....and yes, I think all people will continue to bend the rules until they're given a warning or told to stop-just human nature from my observation. So , again, look to the umpiring if you want to point your finger.

tcorinna
05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Congrats Marat :wavey: In the second set when he served for the match and lost his serve I thought he is going to choke ... but he didn't ... and I'm happy ;) GOOO Marat :)

MariaV
05-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh, the time between the points didn't bother me at all today (as I was too nervous worrying about Marat I guess :lol:) and about Rafa - yes he was slow last clay season with his tough matches but he's been much faster this year after he was called out about it last year.

Jimnik
05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
It's interesting, I'm a Safin fan yet I was never really bothered by all this time between points. I would never have even known about it, if it hadn't been brought up here. TBH, if anything, it probably helped Marat to clear his head after making another UE.

Sparko1030
05-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, I thought Rosie was being both civil and relevant when she brought this up, and no one's really been mean or insulting, just critical over inconsistent umpiring. :shrug:

I wasn't refering to Rosie's orginal post so much as some that came after-esp the racoon hair(funny perhaps but not relevant. ;) ). I don't think I mentioned any posters in particular actually.

A_Skywalker
05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Nico has a wonderful hair :inlove:

ChinoRios4Ever
05-14-2007, 10:20 PM
too bad Nico... 1st 2 steps up, now 2 steps back :sad:

at least you fought till the end... get ready for WTC and RG :yeah: