Rome 06:#~if FED had converted mps would it have altered RAFA rivalry dynamics??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rome 06:#~if FED had converted mps would it have altered RAFA rivalry dynamics???

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
:wavey:
I feel that the Rome 06 finals b/w FED & RAFA was very important;)
FED had his chance to defeat RAFA on clay in a big final & he may never get another opportunity to beat his nemisis on the red stuff:sad:
Also I think it affected his confidence in last year`s FO final,~ leading to his eventual loss..
FED played perhaps his best tennis possible under the circumstances & despite having to endure tough QF & SF matches he managed to push RAFA to the brink of defeat in a 5hr+ match:eek:
FED`s not known for winning grinding 5-setters, esp on clay ~ so if he could have beaten RAFA that day then it would of being a huge shot of confidence;)
Alas FED got nervous on the mps & overly agressive with his forehand at the wrong moment:sad:
FED`s subsequently lost two more big clay finals to RAFA, & also fired his coach Tony Roche [with whom he`d had a successful union]~ since he wasn`t get the results on clay he`d hoped for..
RAFA`s clay winning streak extends to 77-matches & with no end in sight:worship:
However if FED had converted in Rome last year then RAFA`s clay winning streak obviously would have been broken & it may have planted a seed of doubt in the Spaniard`s mind about playing FED on clay...
Well it`s all history now~ but makes you wonder->> "what if":confused:

ExpectedWinner
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I suspect that JC is your cousin.

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Expected[/B]Winner;5353542]I suspect that JC is your cousin.

:rolleyes:
You "Suspect/Expect"~~ wrongly:p

rafa_maniac
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I somehow doubt it, because mental edge aside, Rafa is simpy a better player on clay than Fed. He will win 8 or 9 times out of 10. The occasional loss would not turn the dynamic completely upside down IMO.

r2473
05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
It was a hell of a match. I've watched it 4 times.

It's easy over analyze. I doubt either Fed or Rafa put as much thought into this as you have.

sykotique
05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
I somehow doubt it, because mental edge aside, Rafa is simpy a better player on clay than Fed. He will win 8 or 9 times out of 10. The occasional loss would not turn the dynamic completely upside down IMO.

Agreed, although I do think it would have done Fed's confidence a world of good, knowing that he could beat Rafa on clay because he had done it once already. But overall, on the red earth, Nadal is just better.

nolop
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
ofcourse it would affected the rivalry, now nadal could be leading 6-4 :D

Kolya
05-14-2007, 11:02 PM
If, should have, could have, would have...

Eden
05-14-2007, 11:17 PM
We will never know what would have happened if Roger would have won the match. You can also speculate what would have happened if Rochus would have ended Rogers winning streak on grass in Halle and how a possible loss there would have affected him before Wimbledon.
Such losses like the one Roger had on the day of the Rome final in 2006 happen and although he didn't won RG later on he surely was able to forget the losses on clay against Rafa in general. Just have a look at Rogers winning streak of last year.

By the way here is a short look back from Roger and Rafa themselves to that match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rFMYz8NYNM

Merton
05-15-2007, 02:02 AM
What rivalry?

Sunset of Age
05-15-2007, 02:42 AM
What rivalry?

That's the KEY POINT.
It's so simple. Rafa is the best clay court player, Rogi is the best everywhere else.

This so-called rivalry only exists in the minds of 'tards', and those who think tennis isn't interesting enough without hyping. Poor SODS they are, all of 'em.

RonE
05-15-2007, 05:46 AM
I seriously doubt it would have made too much of an impact re their French Open final encounter.

Action Jackson
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
The management of "what if" called me and will be taking 15 percent, everytime the "what if" scenario is mentioned.