Who's the worst coached player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's the worst coached player?

Stensland
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
hey,

i'm watching massu right now and i find it striking that he, once again, doesn't play the way he could. he has the shots to defeat someone like safin, at least on clay, if not on other surfaces as well.

but apparently he never got the right "treatment" for his temper, his nervousness and somehow even his fighting spirit is missing. he seems to always play at maximum speed, never letting any tactics play a role. if you just consider his tennis, he's top 20 material at least. if you consider his head: out of top 100.

so to me he's definitely a strong contender for the worst coached player on tour. who else could be in there? hm, probably gonzalez pre-stefanki, monfils to some extent and maybe even guys like ginepri or fish, who on some days play extremely well and then go down to nobodies. on the other hand (especially fish), these guys tend to have a lot of injuries. but fish for example seems to be not focussed enough. i watched him "practice" in halle and all they do is: the coach throws a ball at fish and he grabs the racquet like a baseball bat and tries to hit the tennis ball. and then they giggle like schoolgirls. :o

so who would you say is right on top with the ones i just mentioned? would you agree with me or do you see it differently?

Mistaflava
05-14-2007, 04:00 PM
still Gael Monfils...

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Nalbandian

Stensland
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
seems like massu wants to prove me wrong: when i started the thread he was down 0-4, now he's about to rebreak once again to 4-4...*edit: and now he's done it: 4-4! :x

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Gabriel Markus is a very good coach, he is the main responsible of Massu success in the tour

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Rally-ndian by far. He thinks he can coach himself.

Stensland
05-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Gabriel Markus is a very good coach, he is the main responsible of Massu success in the tour

are you kidding me? take a look at massu and tell me if THIS is the BEST he can do :rolleyes:

no way. he might be a good coach in general, but he definitely isn't eh right one for massu. his abilities should let him skyrocket to the top-20 and as of now, he's like in the 80s or 90s. that just doesn't work.

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
yes basically, tennis is not as easy as it can look on tv :)
are you kidding me? take a look at massu and tell me if THIS is the BEST he can do :rolleyes:

no way. he might be a good coach in general, but he definitely isn't eh right one for massu. his abilities should let him skyrocket to the top-20 and as of now, he's like in the 80s or 90s. that just doesn't work.

Stensland
05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
yes basically, tennis is not as easy as it can look on tv :)

hm, what do you mean? actually i was kinda pointing exactly out what you just told me: tennis isn't as easy as massu might think it is. it's not just "hit and run", it's more like a mental game like chess (not only, sure, but it is a great part of tennis). massu (and marcus obviously too) don't seem to get that, so massu always plays as if he's a 12yearold soccerplayer, ALWAYS wanting to score. ALWAYS going for the big shots, ALWAYS hitting an enormous amount of unforced errors.

how come they never work on that? most of the players take advantage of that since ages!

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 04:26 PM
well that is the way he can play the best, the way he learnt to play tennis since a child

its not easy to change it
hm, what do you mean? actually i was kinda pointing exactly out what you just told me: tennis isn't as easy as massu might think it is. it's not just "hit and run", it's more like a mental game like chess (not only, sure, but it is a great part of tennis). massu (and marcus obviously too) don't seem to get that, so massu always plays as if he's a 12yearold soccerplayer, ALWAYS wanting to score. ALWAYS going for the big shots, ALWAYS hitting an enormous amount of unforced errors.

how come they never work on that? most of the players take advantage of that since ages!

Stensland
05-14-2007, 04:29 PM
well that is the way he can play the best, the way he learnt to play tennis since a child

its not easy to change it

of course it's not easy, but does that mean you shouldn't try? i mean, he probably realizes his ranking, doesn't he? and he probably also realizes that he's underperforming big time, just like gonzalez did until stefanki actually told him that he's got a brain and that he might actually wanna give it a go. well, but if massu is happy the way he's playing, alright. then fail, i don't mind. but i always thought tennis players wanted to play as good as possible, not taking the easiest route like massu is doing. sure, he makes money like that too, so what? if he's got that kind of attitude, then his ranking is exactly right. this is where he belongs.

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
do u think he has not tried to add new things to his tennis? of course he had
in fact he has improved many of them with Markus
as for example his serve and backhand

of course it's not easy, but does that mean you shouldn't try? i mean, he probably realizes his ranking, doesn't he? and he probably also realizes that he's underperforming big time, just like gonzalez did until stefanki actually told him that he's got a brain and that he might actually wanna give it a go. well, but if massu is happy the way he's playing, alright. then fail, i don't mind. but i always thought tennis players wanted to play as good as possible, not taking the easiest route like massu is doing. sure, he makes money like that too, so what? if he's got that kind of attitude, then his ranking is exactly right. this is where he belongs.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Nalbandian by far...

well about Nico, Markus helped him a lot in his carrer, but his biggest win was at the Olympics with Patricio Rodriguez as his coach... still Markus has done a incredible job with Massu

shotgun
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
hm, probably gonzalez pre-stefanki

De La Peña (Gonzalez's former coach) started coaching him when he was ranked outside the top 300 and took him to the top 20, so he deserves credit.

Of course, after a while there wasn't much more De La Peña could do for Gonzalez's game, so the change for a more tactically smart coach was necessary.

Burrow
05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Horacio De La Pena is what made gonzalez an exciting prospect! He took him right up the ranks. Id say Donald Young.

connectolove
05-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Nadal. He should be beating everyone on hard surfaces already.

A_Skywalker
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Nalbandian definately