What has happened to Hewitt [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What has happened to Hewitt

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I love Hewitt and would to see him somewhat back to his best. Bw3ut he just seesms to of lost that edge. I hope he finds it agin cus he is a fun guy to watch when playing well

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow. A negative post after he pulls off an upset in straight sets? :eek:

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow. A negative post after he pulls off an upset in straight sets? :eek:

I dont see that as an upset. Hewitt should be compateing for Grandslam titles and TMS all the time.

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Well you're not very demanding at all, are you? :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm afraid Hewitt is an archetypical case of 'Early Burn Out'.

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Well you're not very demanding at all, are you? :rolleyes:

No I just see a talent going to waste. So can i ask as a Hewitt fan are you happy to see the guy only making 4th rounds and loseing to players who really are beneath him in class

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm afraid Hewitt is an archetypical case of 'Early Burn Out'.

That is shame.

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I love Hewitt and would to see him somewhat back to his best. Bw3ut he just seesms to of lost that edge. I hope he finds it agin cus he is a fun guy to watch when playing well

:wavey:
Hewitt got his wife Bec `up the duff` in 2005,~ just when he looked set to have another sucessful 2nd coming [climbed to #2 in Feb 05]..

Basically getting married & having a baby changed his priorities forever:sad:
~Injuries & motivation problems have also taken a toll:sad:

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
That is shame.

Yes, it is. But it's how things go at times. Some players peak early and burn out fast, others have a more gradual carreer. To me it looks like Hewitt lost a lot of his (in)famous ferocity - he doesn't look that 'fired up' on court anymore.
He's become a lot nicer too, I think. :angel:

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
No I just see a talent going to waste. So can i ask as a Hewitt fan are you happy to see the guy only making 4th rounds and loseing to players who really are beneath him in class

Of course I'm everything but happy after his losses! I was really pissed off after the Hernandez match. But it isn't something worth losing sleep over. If he loses, he loses. I can feel bad, but I have to cheer for him in the next tournament!

Also, I strongly disagree with your accusation that he's a talent 'going to waste'. He's won 26 career titles (two of them being Grand Slams to boot!), reached the final of his home Grand Slam, was ranked World No. 1 for 80 weeks, which is eighth on the all-time list, has beaten Federer seven times (until Nadal beat Federer in Monte Carlo a few weeks ago, this was the most times any active player had beaten Federer), and is still exhibiting some great results! He's won at least one title each year for the past ten years, and reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and the US Open last year! You can't say that's a talent gone to waste, because it isn't.

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Of course I'm everything but happy after his losses! I was really pissed off after the Hernandez match. But it isn't something worth losing sleep over. If he loses, he loses. I can feel bad, but I have to cheer for him in the next tournament!

Also, I strongly disagree with your accusation that he's a talent 'going to waste'. He's won 26 career titles (two of them being Grand Slams to boot!), reached the final of his home Grand Slam, was ranked World No. 1 for 80 weeks, which is eighth on the all-time list, has beaten Federer seven times (until Nadal beat Federer in Monte Carlo a few weeks ago, this was the most times any active player had beaten Federer), and is still exhibiting some great results! He's won at least one title each year for the past ten years, and reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and the US Open last year! You can't say that's a talent gone to waste, because it isn't.

They are very fair points you make. And you are right I think wasteing taltent was the worng choice of wording. I just miss the fist pumping screaming jumping up and down Hewitt. People think Nadal is intease he was nothing compared to Hewitt at 20. And I loved that.

sawan66278
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
The main problem with Hewitt: he is the modern version, to a certain extent, of Mats Wilander. He has no real kill shot off either wing or serve. He relied on heart and mobility. Unfortunately, one can only rely on these things for so long. Look at Mats' reign at #1 (I know there were other factors too, like his father's death but you get my point).

Lleyton did the most with his talent...He may have one more slam in there somewhere...but I will tell you this: if he stays healthy, he will have one late moment of glory before its all over...

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM
They are very fair points you make. And you are right I think wasteing taltent was the worng choice of wording. I just miss the fist pumping screaming jumping up and down Hewitt. People think Nadal is intease he was nothing compared to Hewitt at 20. And I loved that.

I think all of his fans do, mate. But Hewitt is Hewitt, and no matter how much he changes, faithful supporters will always be faithful supporters. And as a faithful suppoter, I'll continue to cheer for him until his very last match. :)

t0x
05-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Burnout....

He is a counter-puncher, as they get older, they get worse.

Now his defense isn't quite so good, he's struggling to find other ways to win points (lack of killer shot somebody has already mentioned)

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I think all of his fans do, mate. But Hewitt is Hewitt, and no matter how much he changes, faithful supporters will always be faithful supporters. And as a faithful suppoter, I'll continue to cheer for him until his very last match. :)

Well with true fans like that a player will never be forgotten :)

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Burnout....

He is a counter-puncher, as they get older, they get worse.

Now his defense isn't quite so good, he's struggling to find other ways to win points (lack of killer shot somebody has already mentioned)

Yeah, I noticed he was relying heavily on Calleri's errors tonight... When Calleri was down 0-40 in two consecutive service games, he chose offense over defense, and it paid off. Hewitt couldn't really make a dent in the serves. It was Calleri's mistakes that Hewitt fed off of. But we mustn't forget, a win is a win, and Lleyton won tonight. :yeah:

~EMiLiTA~
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM
he peaked 5-6 years ago...he can't keep it up...it's a normal case of burn out, plus he has always been prone to injuries/illness which don't help..plus he has other things in his life now

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 04:16 PM
The main problem with Hewitt: he is the modern version, to a certain extent, of Mats Wilander. He has no real kill shot off either wing or serve. He relied on heart and mobility. Unfortunately, one can only rely on these things for so long. Look at Mats' reign at #1 (I know there were other factors too, like his father's death but you get my point).

Lleyton did the most with his talent...He may have one more slam in there somewhere...but I will tell you this: if he stays healthy, he will have one late moment of glory before its all over...

:wavey:
All us Rocky Llegs fans surely hope you`re right;) :cool:

Langers
05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, it is. But it's how things go at times. Some players peak early and burn out fast, others have a more gradual carreer. To me it looks like Hewitt lost a lot of his (in)famous ferocity - he doesn't look that 'fired up' on court anymore.
He's become a lot nicer too, I think. :angel:
Blame Bec. :mad: