Hamburg 07 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hamburg 07

higherlaw
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
well, we never had a thread for roma, so i'm starting this thread in hopes that arnaud's stay in hamburg will be longer than it has been in the last few tourneys.:angel: and we'll have some postive things to discuss.

today:
A Clement (FRA) d R Stepanek (CZE) 63 67(4) 63

next is blake.

and then there is doubles with julien.

Hangdog
05-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Not a bad start. Blake will be a good chance to check his power before RG. Allez!
Also hope he'll do it well in doubles and continue the tendency of improving his ranking every week.

Marine
05-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Not a bad start.

Come on Irina, un peu plus d'enthousiasme s'il te plait ! lol
I think we can say it's a good start ! Ok Stepanek has lost his tennis, but Arnaud has not found again one's either so nevermind, a win is a win. ;)

Hangdog
05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Come on Irina, un peu plus d'enthousiasme s'il te plait ! lol
I think we can say it's a good start ! Ok Stepanek has lost his tennis, but Arnaud has not found again one's either so nevermind, a win is a win. ;)
Vas-y Arnaud, tu peux gagner ce tournoi!!!! Allez Champion!!! :bounce:
Ca marche? :D

Marine
05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I like ur sense of exaggeration ! :lol:

Via
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
lol the accidental hamburg traveller pocketing some spare cash from winning a round! :lol: next up is blake? more chance, more chance....

come on now, marine, you know that we aren't naive teenagers blindly worshipping our faultless hero ;) what do you expect us to say?

Marine
05-14-2007, 11:55 PM
what do you expect us to say?

=> A win is a win.

That's all we can expect of him, so it's not so naive of me I guess.

Via
05-15-2007, 12:27 AM
=> A win is a win.

That's all we can expect of him, so it's not so naive of me I guess.

no one is denying that :p

i mentioned people might be naive, because obviously arnaud is not playing the best tennis of his life. what's worse, his commitment to his career appears to be wavering. personally, my expectation is low. but i can't believe stepanek has sunk so low himself!

Truc
05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
In l’Équipe today:
Dernier entrant du tableau, opposé au finaliste de la saison passée, le Provençal était hier habité d’une humeur si badine que le placide Radek Stepanek paraissait encore plus ombrageux que les sombres nuages voltigeant dans un ciel tourmenté. Le pied levé en canard après un point gagnant, la mimique de joyeux garnement à tous les jeux, le Français menait la vie dure à l’austère Tchèque en déclin. Pris d’une subite quinte de toux, Arnaud s’attira cette remarque de Bruno, son frère et coach. « Bois de l’eau pour la faire passer. » « J’ai pas soif », rétorqua le lutin qui avait réponse à tout, et surtout aux problèmes posés par l’adversaire.
Pour expliquer une telle bonne humeur, il fallait revenir à Genève, vendredi dernier, quand Clément, assuré de ne pas avoir le classement requis pour participer au tournoi de Hambourg, partageait une partie de golf avec Guy Forget, Raphaël Jacquelin et l’épouse de cedernier. Apprenant que les divers désistements lui ouvraient la voie, le Français se tâta tellement avant de saisir l’opportunité qu’il s’attira les remarques de madame Jacquelin, gentiment courroucée : « Mais vas-y, c’est un Masters Series, tout de même ! » Face à une telle force de persuasion, Clément obtempéra. Se rendit tout guilleret en Allemagne. Et, après sa joute animée en trois sets, envoya unSMS de remerciements à celle qui l’avait tant motivé…

It says Arnaud was in an excellent mood yesterday, he was joking with Bruno during his match and all smile, etc.
The reason: last Friday, he was playing golf in Geneva with Forget, Jacquelin and Jacquelin’s wife. He didn’t want to play Hamburg at the time, as we know, but somebody told him he had a chance to enter the main draw because of the many withdrawals. Since he was still hesitating, Jacquelin’s wife got a little bit angry and told him: „But it’s a Masters Series, you have to play!“ He obeyed and went to Germany very lighthearted. After his win, he sent a SMS to Jacquelin’s wife to say thank you…

A bit worrying imo he needs Jacquelin’s wife to tell him he should play an AMS event, but at least we know he’s feeling :yippee:.

higherlaw
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
In l’Équipe today:

A bit worrying imo he needs Jacquelin’s wife to tell him he should play an AMS event, but at least we know he’s feeling :yippee:.

:wavey: thanks for this info and the translation..quite interesting!;)

and one would think they'd (he and bruno) know how close he was to getting off the alternate list themselves ??

Marine
05-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Truc, I love this article, the journalist seemt to be in a good mood too when he wrote the article, that's funny. ;)

ps: Raphael Jacquelin is a professional golfer.

higherlaw
05-15-2007, 06:06 PM
J. Benneteau (FRA)A. Clement (FRA) b. P. Kohlschreiber (GER) P. Soderling (SWE) 63 60

a bagel, too:cool:

next up: damm/zimonjic

Via
05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
thanks truc, a wonderful insight into how some professional tennis players organise their schedule! :o lol

do you see arnaud at all at the tournament? i've heard it's lucky to see a lucky guy ;)

Truc
05-16-2007, 08:10 AM
No, I was in Hamburg just for the qualifying and I didn't see Arnaud at all, only Bruno and Seb.

higherlaw
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
i just now heard on the tennis channel that arnaud's match against blake will be held after nadal/hernandez. i guess they're moving it to center court since it's raining :rain: i'll get my dvr ready :hearts: !!!

higherlaw
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
well, that was ugly! 62 63 and as the commentators said, he was bossed around the court and really wasn't focused on the game, rather concerned about movement and noise in the stands. blake had some great angles. there was one game that went on for ten minutes.

he now has a full beard, and once when they showed bruno, the commentor said they had a two for one special at the hair salon! :haha:

Piti Pingoin
05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
well, that was ugly! 62 63 and as the commentators said, he was bossed around the court and really wasn't focused on the game, rather concerned about movement and noise in the stands. blake had some great angles. there was one game that went on for ten minutes.

Arnaud is really in a decreasing phase :sad:. I can't wait for the retirement...

he now has a full beard, and once when they showed bruno, the commentor said they had a two for one special at the hair salon!

:D :D :D I hate Arnaud with the beard :sad:

Via
05-17-2007, 12:00 AM
well, higherlaw, you have to see it to believe it, don't you! blake has been his nemesis for ages, and now even on clay :rolleyes: and i'm glad i won't be seeing any of this, because i'd imagine all they want to show for highlights would be how he got irritated on court .....

i don't know about retirements, but is it true that arnaud's been practising more lately on golf courses? :tape: what a shame. at least seb's still trying at qualifying ....

as for the two shaved heads :haha: i always reckon they have bought a clipper and shave each other in hotel rooms :p that would save even more than utilising any hairdressor discount! but how could seb resist not being shaved by the brothers, i have no idea.......

higherlaw
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Arnaud is really in a decreasing phase :sad:. I can't wait for the retirement...

PP, do you really mean that? seems a little harsh for someone who has such a beautiful website dedicated to arnaud...maybe you mean that you like it better when he wins (not to put words in your mouth, lol)?

well, higherlaw, you have to see it to believe it, don't you! blake has been his nemesis for ages, and now even on clay :rolleyes: and i'm glad i won't be seeing any of this, because i'd imagine all they want to show for highlights would be how he got irritated on court .....

i don't know about retirements, but is it true that arnaud's been practising more lately on golf courses? :tape: what a shame. at least seb's still trying at qualifying ....

as for the two shaved heads :haha: i always reckon they have bought a clipper and shave each other in hotel rooms :p that would save even more than utilising any hairdressor discount! but how could seb resist not being shaved by the brothers, i have no idea.......

yeah, but i wasn't expecting much. the contrast between their match and the following safin/ferrero match was interesting. they had long rallies, and i think arnaud does better with that kind of play than with blake's angles; just my opinion.:) i was glad to see that blake lost to moya today:devil: golf = retirement!

today: Benneteau (FRA) / A Clement (FRA) b. [3] M Damm (CZE) / N Zimonjic (SRB) 64 64:clap2: are there any frenchies left?

Marine
05-17-2007, 08:12 PM
L'Equipe

Clément « blake »-boulé

EN CINQ CONFRONTATIONS, Arnaud Clément n’avait jamais battu James Blake. La sixième suivit, hier soir, le même cours inexorable : débordé en puissance, le Français ne parvint jamais à inquiéter l’Américain, 9e mondial (6-2, 6-3). Même la lourde terre battue allemande n’entrava pas sa marche en avant. « Autant j’aurais dû le battre l’an dernier à Bercy, autant là, il était bien meilleur que moi, avoua Clément. J’ai été acculé toute la partie. Et il a très peu fait de fautes. Je n’ai pas le sentiment d’avoir fait un mauvais match. Je lui tire mon chapeau. » À un peu plus d’une semaine de Roland-Garros, Clément ne compte que trois victoires (contre quatre défaites) sur terre battue. Inquiétant ? « Pas du tout, rétorque-t-il. D’abord, pour moi, “Roland” n’est pas un tournoi sur terre comme les autres. Les conditions de jeu y sont beaucoup plus rapides et ça m’avantage. Mon seul but est d’arriver là-bas prêt physiquement. Je sens plutôt bien la balle. Je ne dis pas que je suis un caïd sur terre, mais je peux très bien me débrouiller dessus. » – V. C.

Arnaud still is confident. No problems; he's ok... :rolleyes:

3 victories / 4 defeats on clay...Worrying ? "Not at all. At first RG is not the same tournament as the other clay ones. It's quicker it's an advantage for me. My only goal is to come there being ready physically. I feel good the ball. I'm not saying I'm at top on clay, but I'm able to play well."

higherlaw
05-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the article and translation, Marine :)

today:
[5] Hanley/Ullyett d Benneteau/Clement 26 76(5) 10-7 (Match TB)

Via
05-20-2007, 01:07 AM
oh well..... time to get set for roland garros, everyone.

arnaud as usual puts in the positive spin for every situation. when he retires he can be a lot of things, politician, ambassador, pr manager.........

Hangdog
05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
he's ok... :rolleyes:
Come on now, Marine, un peu plus d'enthousiasme, s'il te plait! :lol:
We have to be happy that he’s at least going to play and even trying to say positive things, it’s better than the last year. Though I wonder will he ever admit that he lost not because Blake is the King of Clay but because he’s played an ugly match himself...
arnaud as usual puts in the positive spin for every situation. when he retires he can be a lot of things, politician, ambassador, pr manager.........
I thought you were talking here that he’s going to reborn as a golf player after his retirement from tennis? lol
There have been so many talks about his retirement recently... Arnaud will retire. But later. And before I do hope to see some more shine on tennis courts.

Marine
05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Come on now, Marine, un peu plus d'enthousiasme, s'il te plait! :lol: [quote]

:yeah: Un point pour toi Irina

[quote]
I thought you were talking here that he’s going to reborn as a golf player after his retirement from tennis? lol

He loves playing gold but I don't think he's so good, he admites it himself...lol but one of his friends (Jacquelin) is a pro so maybe he improves a lot with him... lol
Not sure he could make a good politician either, even if he seems to be very interested by the debates... diplomacy and calm are not his main qualities. :o lol

ps: Fed beat Nadal !!! :bounce:

Via
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
ps: Fed beat Nadal !!! :bounce:

:ras: :ras:

btw irina, nice looking avatar! (though i can't see the guy's face clearly.) could you do a few more, eg. with fed (for marine) and rafa (for me) ??? lol

Manja
05-21-2007, 03:25 PM
he now has a full beard, and once when they showed bruno, the commentor said they had a two for one special at the hair salon! :haha:

Since friday the beard is gone. :yippee: I didn´t like it at all. And I really don´t like the short hair but it´s better for the summer tour. But why Bruno???

xx Manja

higherlaw
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Since friday the beard is gone. :yippee: I didn´t like it at all. And I really don´t like the short hair but it´s better for the summer tour. But why Bruno???

xx Manja

great to know that, thanks :cool:

i still think that if he grew his hair back he's get better results lol. what is it they say about not changing things when it's working? or maybe he's not superstitious (although we heard he had a favorite bandana :) )

Hangdog
05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
btw irina, nice looking avatar! (though i can't see the guy's face clearly.) could you do a few more, eg. with fed (for marine) and rafa (for me) ??? lol
Thanks! But I think the guy is recognisable even with a bit blurry face?
And you mean such a thing like... RG '07 avatars, special edition for loyal Clement fans, with an image on them of anyone except Arnaud?? lol
Since friday the beard is gone. :yippee:
Oh thank you, that’s quite a nice news :)

P.S. Thanks for the updates, Higherlaw! Arnaud’s rankings this week :yeah:

Via
05-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks! But I think the guy is recognisable even with a bit blurry face?
And you mean such a thing like... RG '07 avatars, special edition for loyal Clement fans, with an image on them of anyone except Arnaud?? lol

you're such a master(mistress?) of sarcasm :)

aren't you a loyal clement fan with exactly such an avatar? ;) luckily, i'm not doing too bad myself :p

i can guess the guy since it's a question of who else? :devil: but no, it isn't very recognisable!

as for arnaud's beard... well, never seen it, never haunted me. sounds like good riddance!

Manja
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Here two pictures of Arnaud. Not the best ones but please ask before using somewhere else.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/elfenmaid/101_0769.jpg

Hamburg before shaving

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/elfenmaid/101_0874.jpg

and now...

So, what do you think? :)

Marine
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
It's better, for sure. Now he has to let hair grow up again and it will be perfect.

Marine
05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Roland-Garros - Clément: "Ça devrait payer"
Eurosport - mar., 22 mai 23:11:00 2007

ARNAUD CLEMENT, pouvez-vous nous donner votre sentiment sur votre début de saison ?

A.C. : Il n'y a finalement pas grand-chose à signaler. Je n'ai rien fait de fabuleux, ni rien non plus de catastrophique. Je tiens mon rang. J'ai pour l'instant à chaque fois battu les joueurs moins bien classés que moi et perdu contre meilleurs. C'est donc pour le moment une saison moyenne. J'aspire à mieux, mais je n'ai pas pour autant d'inquiétude ou de frustration particulières. Mon niveau de jeu est satisfaisant, je travaille sérieusement, c'est pourquoi je pense que ça devrait payer un jour ou l'autre.

Avez-vous rattrapé le retard pris lors de votre préparation hivernale ?

A.C. : J'ai effectivement connu un début de saison difficile sur le plan physique en raison d'une préparation hivernale perturbée par les blessures, mais désormais, tout est rentré dans l'ordre. Je me sens de mieux en mieux. La dernière semaine d'entrainement devrait me permettre d'être au top physiquement pour aborder Roland-Garros et les matches en 5 sets sur terre battue.

Avez-vous apporté quelques modifications à votre jeu pour aborder la saison sur terre battue ?

A.C. : Jouer plus croisé, plus lifté, utiliser des trajectoires plus arrondis&hellip Ce sont les bases du jeu sur terre battue, des petits détails qui sont indispensables pour espérer briller sur cette surface. Ce ne sont pas forcément mes caractéristiques premières. La terre battue n'est pas ma surface de prédilection mais cette année, contrairement à certaines autres, j'ai trouvé relativement vite mes marques.

Quelles sont vos ambitions au moment d'aborder Roland-Garros ?

A.C. : Il est vrai que je suis très dépendant du tirage au sort. Il est évident que si je tombe d'entrée sur Federer ou Nadal, la tâche s'annoncera plus difficile mais je n'entrerai pas pour autant sur le court sans ambition. La terre battue n'est certes pas ma meilleure surface mais je suis tout de même capable d'y battre de très bons joueurs, d'autant plus à Roland-Garros où la terre battue est de meilleure qualité, plus rapide et permet de prendre la balle plus tôt. Je vais essayer de prendre le maximum de plaisir, de jouer sans pression et surtout d'essayer de me préparer le mieux possible&hellip

Quelles impressions vous ont laissé les quelques revers subis par Federer depuis le début de la saison ?

A.C. : Ce qui est vraiment étonnant, ce n'est pas que Federer ait perdu 3 ou 4 matches depuis janvier mais bel et bien ce qu'il a réussi à faire depuis le début de la saison avec notamment une victoire à l'Open d'Australie, une finale à Monte-Carlo et un succès à Hambourg. Je ne pense pas du tout que l'on soit à la fin de son règne. Loin de là même ! De mon point de vue, il n'est pas inférieur à Nadal, même sur terre battue. Je pense même que dans un grand jour, il est capable de l'écraser. :eek:

Pensez-vous qu'il est le seul joueur capable de barrer la route de Nadal à Roland-Garros ?

A.C. : Nadal a certes d'énormes qualités physiques mais il est surtout impressionnant sur le plan mental. Il ne laisse filer aucun point, est toujours concentré à 100% et fait preuve d'une combativité impressionnante, contrairement à Federer, qui peut parfois se relâcher pendant quelques jeux. Personne n'est cependant imbattable. Je ne pense pas que Federer soit le seul capable de le battre sur terre battue. Des joueurs tels que Hewitt ou Davydenko peuvent parfaitement le faire chuter mais devront, il est vrai, alors évoluer au sommet de leur art.

On a également vu éclore de nouveaux joueurs depuis quelques mois...

A.C. : Il y a effectivement une nouvelle génération très talentueuse qui a fait son apparition sur le circuit. Des joueurs tels que Djokovic ou Berdych sont peut-être encore un peu trop irréguliers pour viser une victoire en tournoi du Grand Chelem mais sur un jour, ils sont vraiment capables de battre n'importe qui. Il peut y avoir de grosses surprises cette année.

Vous ne citez pas le nom de Richard Gasquet...

A.C. : Je ne l'oublie pas. Richard a été un peu en retrait au niveau des résultats, même s'il a fait preuve d'une plus grande constance que les saisons précédentes. Il a axé sa préparation sur Roland-Garros. Il sera au top et pourrait être très dangereux !

Manja
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
:sad: I wish I could understand french. It´s such a nice language.

Marine
05-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry Manja but it would be so long to translate, and my english is not fluent. Und ich spreche nicht deutsch. :unsure:

Irina, where are you ? :p

Hangdog
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Translate it... auf Deutsch?! Mein Gott!.. Neeeein, mein Deutsch ist auch nicht so superschön.
But what a nice interview indeed. Looks like when the questions are over the smartest way to enlarge an article is asking about other players. Arnaud, have you prepared yourself to RG? Oh yes, I’m ready but I don’t want to be drawn against Fed or Rafa. And how’s Fed doing? He’s able to defeat Rafa even on clay! And what’s up with Rafa? There are guys who can beat him! And what about those guys from the new generation? They’re coming! And how’s our dearest Richard? Oh allez Richard...
you're such a master(mistress?) of sarcasm :)

aren't you a loyal clement fan with exactly such an avatar? ;) luckily, i'm not doing too bad myself :p

Me? :eek: But I’m absolutely serious.. Alright, I’m silent.
So where is your picture of Rafa to try "exactly such an avatar" at? :devil:
Here two pictures of Arnaud.
I vote for the second Arnaud! But he seems to like the first style, he’s getting back to it again and again…

higherlaw
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
merci, marine for posting the article. however, i am wondering if he is saying that this season he has beaten all the players ranked lower than he is/was and lost to all the players ranked higher than he is/was, or is he saying the majority of his wins and losses were of this situation?

Translate it... auf Deutsch?! Mein Gott!.. Neeeein, mein Deutsch ist auch nicht so superschön.
But what a nice interview indeed. Looks like when the questions are over the smartest way to enlarge an article is asking about other players. Arnaud, have you prepared yourself to RG? Oh yes, I’m ready but I don’t want to be drawn against Fed or Rafa. And how’s Fed doing? He’s able to defeat Rafa even on clay! And what’s up with Rafa? There are guys who can beat him! And what about those guys from the new generation? They’re coming! And how’s our dearest Richard? Oh allez Richard...

as usual, you have such great insight! :)

stephB
05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
hamburg is over and the thread is still alive...great :)