McEnroe wants to watch Sampras on Wimby [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

McEnroe wants to watch Sampras on Wimby

Tomy
05-14-2007, 12:19 AM
After losing to him in Blackrock, Big Mac is saying that he thinks Sampras is still one of the top 5 players on grass. "-Name 5 players that can beat him on grass" he defies.
Pistol Pete already said he doesn't have in mind a comeback, but McEnroe ended the interview with this phrase:
"-I'm tempted to put on some pressure over him. He should play again, I believe it could be interesting."

Link: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=908329&origen=relacionadas (in spanish)

guga2120
05-14-2007, 12:22 AM
this has been discussed many times, yes it would be intresting, but lets be honest is he going to beat Nadal,Federer, or Novak or quite a few other players now, and as a wildcard he could have to play them in the first round.

Merton
05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I will give it a quick try: Waske, Fish, Karlovic, Bracciali, Soderling.

Tomy
05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
this has been discussed many times, yes it would be intresting, but lets be honest is he going to beat Nadal,Federer, or Novak or quite a few other players now, and as a wildcard he could have to play them in the first round.

Yes, I know it has been discussed, but I believe there's a chance that Mc Enroe may know a bit more than us about tennis, and he is actually sayin Pete could have a chance... I mean, let's suppose we have a Sampras Vs Nadal on 2nd round, would you bet your ass that Rafa would win? I mean, we are talking about Pete Sampras here... older, but Sampras at last.

guga2120
05-14-2007, 12:49 AM
would you bet your ass that Rafa would win? I mean, we are talking about Pete Sampras here... older, but Sampras at last.
Sampras at 25, no, Now yes, certainly.

Roger The Great
05-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Is one of the five names George Bastl??

merlin
05-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Is one of the five names George Bastl??

Federer lost to Volandri, thus he has no chance to beat anyone at RG! Not quite the same, I know, but that type of reasoning is still stupid.

Sofyaxo
05-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Pete knows he should not come back. I wish people would stop pressing him for it. If he came back and did really badly it would be what most people remember not his great career.

They also need to remember that he was declining at the end of his career and a lot of those guys that beat him then are still around now.

Just a horrible idea.

Dusk Soldier
05-14-2007, 02:10 AM
"-Name 5 players that can beat him on grass" he defies.Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Gonzales,Ancic.

merlin
05-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Pete knows he should not come back. I wish people would stop pressing him for it. If he came back and did really badly it would be what most people remember not his great career.

They also need to remember that he was declining at the end of his career and a lot of those guys that beat him then are still around now.

Just a horrible idea.

I doubt it. Borg made a horrific comeback attempt and people still remember his greatness just fine. I'd love to see him play, even if he is ultimately embarrassed. If Agassi could compete at 35, Pete could win a couple rounds at Wimby if he seriously prepared for it. That said, I think he is telling the truth when he says he'd play to win, and that outcome is doubtful to say the least, thus he probably won't play.

Tomy
05-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Gonzales,Ancic.

I'd give you Federer and Roddick.
I'd think about Hewitt.
I'd doubt about Ancic (at least nowadays)
I'd laugh about Gonzalez (you did know Wimbledon is played on grass, right?)

CyBorg
05-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Give me five people dumber than John McEnroe.

*crickets*

Sofyaxo
05-14-2007, 02:43 AM
No can do on that challenge.

TMJordan
05-14-2007, 02:55 AM
1.Federer
2.Roddick
3.Nadal
4.Canas
5."King" Oscar Hernandez

:wavey:

sykotique
05-14-2007, 02:55 AM
Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Berdych, Ancic, Djokovic, Murray and the odd player who's just having an alright day.

Pete is OLD. Greatest grass champion of all time or not.

Forehander
05-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Roddick's serves would crush Old and bald sampras.

safin-rules-no.1
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM

*crickets*

Tracy Austin, Sue Barker, Brad Gilbert :rolleyes: , Chris Bradnam and John McEnroe's brother

almouchie
05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
pete wont go back
why does he need
but its great to here McEnoroe saying those things abour Sampras
just shows u how good he is, even with little practice & 3 year break

VolandriFan
05-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I'd give you Federer and Roddick.
I'd think about Hewitt.
I'd doubt about Ancic (at least nowadays)
I'd laugh about Gonzalez (you did know Wimbledon is played on grass, right?)

Gonzalez is quite solid on grass.

IFoughtThe
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM

*crickets*

first one that springs to mind is you for daft comments like that.

angiel
05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Sampras 'top five at Wimbledon'

From correspondents in Rome
May 14, 2007

FOMER world No.1 John McEnroe is prepared to advise now-retired Pete Sampras to mae a one-off return to Wimbledon this year.

"To tell you the truth, I'm sort of tempted to push him to play it, because it would be interesting," said MacEnroe, a three-time champion on the lawns.

"You forget until you see him because he hurts you with one shot."

McEnroe, 48, playing here at the Black Rock Masters seniors event at the Foro Italico, cites personal experience that the 35-year-old Sampras still has the game, after losing to him at a seniors event this month in Boston.

Sampras, who played in a serious tournament for the first time since his 2002 retirement, said he is not interested in changing his post-tennis life.

"I wouldn't play Wimbledon just to play - I would play to win. There needs to be a reason to come back, and there really isn't a reason," said the 14-time grand slam winner who lifted seven of those trophys at the All England club.

McEnroe, who announced that he will not be playing at any more seniors events on clay due to a gradual decline in his performance on the surface, does not share Sampras' opinion.

"I would seed him in the top five in Wimbledon without a doubt," said the veteran.

"Name five guys that could going to beat this guy at Wimbledon.

"I'd be hard pressed to name a couple - two out of three (sets). Three out of five is a different animal. (Sampras) absolutely just cranks the ball still, and just makes you so uncomfortable and uneasy."

McEnroe said that Sampras, who has been hitting this (northern) spring with four-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer and Germany's Tommy Haas, could possibly mount a challenge at the All England club.

"Physically he's fit - he's not super-fit, not best-of-five fit, but he's best-of-three fit."

Agence France-Presse

angiel
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
McEnroe says Sampras still has a chance

May 13 2007 at 02:47PM

Rome - Hard-to-impress tennis icon John McEnroe is prepared to advise now-retired Pete Sampras to step back into the mix with a one-off return to Wimbledon this summer.

"To tell you the truth I'm sort of tempted to push him to play it, because it would be interesting," said MacEnroe, a three-time champion on the lawns.

"You forget until you see him because he hurts you with one shot."

The 48-year-old McEnroe, playing this weekend in Rome at the Black Rock Masters seniors event at the Foro Italico, cites personal experience that the 35-year-old Sampras still has game after losing to him at a seniors event this month in Boston.

Sampras, who played in a serious tournament for the first time since his 2002 retirement, said he was not interested in changing his post-tennis life.

"I wouldn't play Wimbledon just to play - I would play to win. There needs to be a reason to come back, and there really isn't a reason," said the 14-time Grand Slam winner who lifted seven of those trophys at the All England club.

McEnroe, who announced that he will not be playing at any more seniors events on clay due to a gradual decline in his performance on the surface, does not share Sampras' opinion.

"I would seed him in the Top 5 in Wimbledon without a doubt," said the veteran. "Name five guys that could going to beat this guy at Wimbledon.

"I'd be hard pressed to name a couple - two out of three (sets). Three out of five is a different animal. (Sampras) absolutely just cranks the ball still, and just makes you so uncomfortable and uneasy."

McEnroe said that Sampras, who has been hitting this spring with the likes of reigning four-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer and Germany's Tommy Haas, could possibly mount a challenge at the All England club.

"Physically he's fit - he's not super-fit, not best-of-five fit, but he's best-of-three fit."

str/ea07 - AFP

Kitty de Sade
05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I go back and forth about this one. Part of me would love to see it happen, but that's just for purely selfish reasons...which is obviously not good. I'll be waiting to see if Pete responds to this as well.

Thanks for the update, angiel. Much appreciated. :hatoff:

Metis
05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
There is another thread about this angiel.

angiel
05-14-2007, 06:38 PM

*crickets*

You are the only person dumber than McEnroe, and why you call him dumb I dont know.:eek: :sad: :mad: :devil:

Stensland
05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
@ kellitherese

is that really you on that myspace-site? http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/verwirrt/verrueckt013.gif ;)

Pfloyd
05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah...no doubt...McEnroe says alot....

disturb3d
05-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Anything Sampras can do. Karlovic can do better.

Scotso
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
He wouldn't do that well, imo. He's too old and slow now, I've been watching him on the seniors tour, and I'm not that impressed.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Johnny Mac, the Delphian Oracle! :haha:

Would be interesting to see Sampras turning up, though.

jazar
05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
basically mac doesnt want him on the seniors tour whipping his butt, so he wants him to make an atp tour comeback

Castafiore
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
From L'Equipe - 14 May 2007

(translation)

L'Equipe: You recently played against Sampras. What do you think about his return?
JMac: In exhibitions, he's had victories against Fish or Ginepri. Seriously, I see him as being one of the top 5 favorites for Wimbledon without a problem if Wimbledon was played on three sets.. In five, it's another matter. Physically, he's good but not top. But he still hits the ball very hard. On grass, I would encourage him to return because it would be interesting.

angiel
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
There is another thread about this angiel.

:worship: :worship: is there.:eek: :eek:

Mistaflava
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
@ kellitherese

is that really you on that myspace-site? http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/verwirrt/verrueckt013.gif ;)

we have been over this several times, and thats definitely not her.

angiel
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Roddick's serves would crush Old and bald sampras.

Would it really, I dont see hin crushing anybody on tour but he will crush Pete, in your dreams Mr.:o :o :devil: :mad:

Burrow
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I would LOVE to see it happen, it would be the most interesting thing I have ever seen take place on a tennis court, thats for sure.

Metis
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
:worship: :worship: is there.:eek: :eek:

You know there is. You have already posted in it.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=101682

thrust
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
It would be interesting to see Pete play an exhibition against a top ten player. He could do well playing one match every couple of days,but he probably could not handle tournament competition. Perhaps he and Agassi could have a national exhibition tour like the pre Open Pros did? I am sure they would draw good crowds.

angiel
05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
You know there is. You have already posted in it.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=101682

I post this before I saw the other one, the more Sampras the better and I would love to see him play at Wimbledon again, the sport could use some excitement.:worship: :D

guga2120
05-14-2007, 07:55 PM
I post this before I saw the other one, the more Sampras the better and I would love to see him play at Wimbledon again, the spoet could use some excitement.:worship: :D yes it would be something to see at Wimbledon, but as a wildcard, he could draw Federer,Nadal,Novak, right off, would you really want to see Sampras of today in a 5 set match with one of them?? Beating a 50 yr old JMac on the seniors tour is one thing. I would love to see it b/c it would be exciting but i don't think it would turn out well for Pete, but even if he got blown off the court by one of the top seeds, it would be better than the last match he played there,so, i actually kind of hope he does play there, but highly doubt he would even consider it.

Johnny Groove
05-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Do we really want to see Sampras embarass himself? :awww:

guga2120
05-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Do we really want to see Sampras embarass himself? :awww: i kind of want to:devil: , i would like to see if he would.

Jimnik
05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Hmm, I think McEnroe underestimates how slow the grass is at Wimbledon these days. No doubt, if he got a good draw and he really tried, he could definitely reach the 2nd week but I would still put at least Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Baghdatis, Ancic, Murray and possibly Nalbandian as favourites to beat him if he played this year.

merlin
05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
The slower grass would be a problem for him, though I suppose it would make it less likely (though still probable) for him to get blown off the court by a Karlovic (who really can't do anything better than sampras but serve, btw). With a good draw I say he could reach the round of 16. Any more than that would be a stretch. And then of course he could lose in the first round to a top player. I don't think someone as prideful as Sampras would want to face either of those options, though I suppose winning a couple rounds actually would be fairly impressive.

nisha
05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
yeah right, like we need thar bore fest back again!

nisha
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
seriously i higly doubt the wimbledon crowd would want pete back, they'd take aggassi over him anyday!

Tomy
05-15-2007, 04:55 AM
seriously i higly doubt the wimbledon crowd would want pete back, they'd take aggassi over him anyday!

Everybody'd like to see Pete again. Nobody can say it wouldn't be fun/interesting/challenging... I mean, we would be watching a tennis legend back on the court playing against the stars we love nowadays, it'd be epic despites de results. I mean, nobody would have even dared to think about this posibility some months ago, it is just surreal...

Seleshfan
05-15-2007, 05:27 AM
To all you Sampras haters who say Pete can't make a comeback, I implore you to run out and rent a copy of Rock Balboa. Many Rocky haters said the same kind of thing, "he's too old, he's too flabby, no way he can compete with a young fit fighter." Well Rocky sure proved everyone wrong didn't he? Didn't he!?!?! I know this is real life not some Hollywood script, but Sampras' real life is like a Hollywood script the way he won his final grand slam beating his most cherised rival to capture his 14th, yes 14th slam....*sigh*....oh what an even better ending this would be to comeback and beat Nadal and Federer on grass to end Federer's win streak, and ensure that he maintains the grand slam record.

Rocky and Sampras forever!!!! For reals!!!! Like OMG!!!!

Mimi
05-15-2007, 06:19 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: sampras is a legend, some people who hate him is only because they are jealous of his achievements ;)

To all you Sampras haters who say Pete can't make a comeback, I implore you to run out a rent a copy of Rock Balboa. Many Rocky haters said the same kind of thing, "he's too old, he's too flabby, no way he can compete with a young fit fighter." Well Rocky sure proved everyone wrong didn't he? Didn't he!?!?! I know this is real life not some Hollywood script, but Sampras' real life is like a Hollywood script the way he won his final grand slam beating his most cherised rival to capture his 14th, yes 14th slam....*sigh*....oh what an ever better ending this would be to comeback and beat Nadal and Federer on grass to end Federer's win streak, and ensure that he maintains the grand slam record.

Dusk Soldier
05-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Well Rocky sure proved everyone wrong didn't he? Didn't he!?!?!
It's called main character protection status. And it doesn't exist in real life.

hitchhiker
05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Stop living in the past Mac, times have changed

its not about old school anymore:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9021/funnyphonerb9.jpg

time for new things:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9622/earphonemod1my2.jpg

Beforehand
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Federer, Roddick, Gonzalez, Djokovic, Hewitt, Haas, Murray, Berdych, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Ancic, Soderling, Lopez, and I can't decide about Verdasco would all be at least very difficult for Sampras (provided they're healthy), even if they're not what we call "better" grasscourt players. Pete would be edging onward toward 36, and I'm not sure with the grass being slower, that he could really handle the relentless assault from some of them.

What we could call "not too much a problem" for Federer, i.e. handling Verdasco's or Lopez's shots would probably be MUCH different if he suddenly went up a decade in age, or down for that matter.

Seleshfan
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
It's called main character protection status. And it doesn't exist in real life.

Well I dunno about that, I think Angiel does a damn good job at protecting the status of Sampras' character.

garad
05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
To all you Sampras haters who say Pete can't make a comeback, I implore you to run out and rent a copy of Rock Balboa. Many Rocky haters said the same kind of thing, "he's too old, he's too flabby, no way he can compete with a young fit fighter." Well Rocky sure proved everyone wrong didn't he? Didn't he!?!?! I know this is real life not some Hollywood script, but Sampras' real life is like a Hollywood script the way he won his final grand slam beating his most cherised rival to capture his 14th, yes 14th slam....*sigh*....oh what an even better ending this would be to comeback and beat Nadal and Federer on grass to end Federer's win streak, and ensure that he maintains the grand slam record.

:haha:
running to the Blockubsters right now!:haha:

yonexforever
05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
basically mac doesnt want him on the seniors tour whipping his butt, so he wants him to make an atp tour comeback

YOU SAID A MOUTHFULL THERE!!!!
THAT'S BASICALLY IT IN A NUTSHELL.
REMEMBER THE BRUHAHA RIOS CAUSED ON THE SENIORS TOUR, AND HOW MAC CARRIED ON?

:worship:

Tomy
05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
:haha:
running to the Blockubsters right now!:haha:

I actually rented the movie a couple of hours ago after reading the post, lol!

Roger The Great
05-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Federer lost to Volandri, thus he has no chance to beat anyone at RG! Not quite the same, I know, but that type of reasoning is still stupid.

No, it's not stupid. People are looking at Sampras through rose colored glasses because he's a great of the game and he's beating up on guys like McEnroe and Korda. The fact of the matter is that Pete was struggling to beat a lot of players late in his career. Do people really think that five years of age and rust are going to help Pete be better now??

Don't get me wrong, I love Pete. But people need to start being a little more realistic.

moon language
05-16-2007, 01:22 AM
The biggest problem for him would be that he hasn't played anything so serious in five years. I was at the tournament in Boston and there is a huge difference between something like that and the intensity of an ATP tournament (lots of goofing off between points and making jokes for the crowd in the Seniors events). I think that he could compete with his skills still in the way that Agassi was able to remain competitive at the same age, but if he were to try to jump back in to an ATP tournament (and a slam no less) I don't think he'd have the proper mental form and focus to do more than win a couple matches at best. It's the same "match fit" issue that comes up for players who have been out with injuries for months, only it's a much bigger problem for him because it's been five years.

Forehander
05-16-2007, 01:51 AM
I wish Sampras will play Roddick in Wimbledon to get his balls smashed in by a Roddick serve just to prove how retarded Mconroe is. Nothing against Sampras, he use to be my favourite player.

angiel
05-16-2007, 06:40 PM
I wish Sampras will play Roddick in Wimbledon to get his balls smashed in by a Roddick serve just to prove how retarded Mconroe is. Nothing against Sampras, he use to be my favourite player.

If anyone is retarded, it is you Forehand, and as for Roddick smashing Pete, I live to see that happen only in your dreams, what has Roddick done lately. squat.:p :p :o :mad: :eek:

spencercarlos
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
If anyone is retarded, it is you Forehand, and as for Roddick smashing Pete, I live to see that happen only in your dreams, what has Roddick done lately. squat.:p :p :o :mad: :eek:
Let me refresh your memory:
2001-03-19 Miami Hardcourt R32 Roddick 7-6(2) 6-3
2002-04-22 Houston Clay F Roddick 7-6(9) 6-3

Head to head 2-1 Roddick :devil: :lol:

GlennMirnyi
05-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Der Kaiser Hernandez, Berlocq, Nieminen, Davydenko, Young.

Forehander
05-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Let me refresh your memory:
2001-03-19 Miami Hardcourt R32 Roddick 7-6(2) 6-3
2002-04-22 Houston Clay F Roddick 7-6(9) 6-3

Head to head 2-1 Roddick :devil: :lol:

rofl. when somebody says something bad about Pete Angiel just fires full on at them. I dunno why you're so offensive but I like that - very protective. But you're saying Sampras now can defeat a Roddick WHO PLAYS FOR REAL today. Please... Do you really think it's possible?

GlennMirnyi
05-17-2007, 02:41 AM
Not today, but top Sampras >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> top Roddick

Mimi
05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
may be if pete trains a lot more harder, he could have a chance against roddick, never say never, the old pete still beat roddick in their last meeting ;)

and pete is always greater than roddick :bowdown: :dance: :woohoo:

guga2120
05-17-2007, 04:48 PM

you don't honestly think Sampras could defeat Roddick now, do you? even on grass.

merlin
05-17-2007, 09:38 PM
No, it's not stupid. People are looking at Sampras through rose colored glasses because he's a great of the game and he's beating up on guys like McEnroe and Korda. The fact of the matter is that Pete was struggling to beat a lot of players late in his career. Do people really think that five years of age and rust are going to help Pete be better now??

Don't get me wrong, I love Pete. But people need to start being a little more realistic.

I agree with this statement, because it makes more logical sense. Just saying he would have no chance because he lost to Bastl is equally ludicrous to saying Federer has no chance at RG because of a single loss. That said, my own opinion has always been contingent on Sampras preparing seriously. That means months of hard core training in preparation. I don't think very many people honestly believe he could enter Wimbledon this year and compete beyond the first couple rounds. It would have to be '08 if at all. Sampras never took his fitness as seriously as Agassi, for example. If he were to do so for a year, he'd have a shot to reach the second week. He would not, however, be the 2nd most likely to win, no matter what J Mac says.