Puerta to be back on track in a month [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Puerta to be back on track in a month

Tomy
05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Mariano Puerta will be back to the courts in a month, after having his sanction reduced from 8 to 2 years (he was found guilty of doping on Roland Garros's final, though the jury decided it was accidental). Once the veredict was out he was given 2 options: He should either return the money from Roland Garros and the other tournaments he played after it (about U$800,000) or stay out of the tour forever and keep the cash. Though many people said we wouldn't be seeing him back on track, Puerta returned the money and will actually come back with 28 years over his shoulders. He trained really hard during the last year and, although he says he should lose some pounds before his comeback, he has 5 challenger wildcards over europe and he is planning to play all of them, starting with the first one in a month. He says that he wants to end the year on the top 100 in order to avoid the AO's qualys. We'll see...

BTW, Ivan Ljubicic, please don't start posting all your "druglord" sh** over this thread, we all know your opinion on this cases.

Johnny Groove
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Interesting. I wonder if Puerta will have the Canas syndrome and play well with this mental and physical break from the tour. Of course, Canas was a much better player than Puerta even before the suspension, but we'll see.

RickDaStick
05-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Mariano Puerta will be back to the courts in a month, after having his sanction reduced from 8 to 2 years (he was found guilty of doping on Roland Garros's final, though the jury decided it was accidental). Once the veredict was out he was given 2 options: He should either return the money from Roland Garros and the other tournaments he played after it (about U$800,000) or stay out of the tour forever and keep the cash. Though many people said we wouldn't be seeing him back on track, Puerta returned the money and will actually come back with 28 years over his shoulders. He trained really hard during the last year and, although he says he should lose some pounds before his comeback, he has 5 challenger wildcards over europe and he is planning to play all of them, starting with the first one in a month. He says that he wants to end the year on the top 100 in order to avoid the AO's qualys. We'll see...

BTW, Ivan Ljubicic, please don't start posting all your "druglord" sh** over this thread, we all know your opinion on this cases.

Ok none of that but im just curious how is this guy allowed back? Didnt he get caught twice?

El Legenda
05-13-2007, 11:34 PM
I give him by end of year to get caught for the 3rd time :)

Tomy
05-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Interesting. I wonder if Puerta will have the Canas syndrome and play well with this mental and physical break from the tour. Of course, Canas was a much better player than Puerta even before the suspension, but we'll see.

Well, Puerta was #9 when he got suspended on Shanghai's Masters Cup.

Ok none of that but im just curious how is this guy allowed back? Didnt he get caught twice?

As I said before, the ATP actually believed it was an accident, otherwise he would have recieved a life ban.

Burrow
05-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Cant wait to see him back!!!! :D

Johnny Groove
05-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Well, Puerta was #9 when he got suspended on Shanghai's Masters Cup.

True, Mariano's not a total clown, but Puerta had much of his points from that RG final. Canas was more consistent and had some good results before his suspension

jayjay
05-13-2007, 11:45 PM
As I said before, the ATP actually believed it was an accident, otherwise he would have recieved a life ban.

That's not true. The 8 year ban is the greatest punishment, there is no "life ban" although the 8 year ban is considered a life sentence with respect to the fact it would be very very difficult to come back from even if you were 20 when you received it.

He was given the "life ban" of 8 years and that was reduced to 2.

mangoes
05-13-2007, 11:49 PM
It will definitely be interesting to see what type of reception he receives. He and Canas cases are very different.

I am not happy about his return, his ban should not have been reduced.

Julio1974
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
It will definitely be interesting to see what type of reception he receives. He and Canas cases are very different.
I am not happy about his return, his ban should not have been reduced.

I couldn't agree more.

nolop
05-13-2007, 11:53 PM
wow, just what atp needs..... another argentinian

Tomy
05-14-2007, 12:08 AM
That's not true. The 8 year ban is the greatest punishment, there is no "life ban" although the 8 year ban is considered a life sentence with respect to the fact it would be very very difficult to come back from even if you were 20 when you received it.

He was given the "life ban" of 8 years and that was reduced to 2.

That's what I tried to say. His "life ban" was reduced cause they actually believed it was an accident. Anyways, I can't know what happened, so I won't judge him. Saying his case is different to Cañas's is silly...

jayjay
05-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Saying his case is different to Cañas's is silly...

It's not. Their cases are not the same, they are most certainly different. There was far more weight behind Cañas's case than Puerta's.

its.like.that
05-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Vamos Mariano :rocker2:

Tomy
05-14-2007, 12:20 AM
It's not. Their cases are not the same, they are most certainly different. There was far more weight behind Cañas's case than Puerta's.

Does that mean that Puerta is guilty and Willy isn't? I mean, how can we really know this stuff?

Merton
05-14-2007, 12:23 AM
It is definitely a different case than Canas, in the latter's case we know the facts, it was the doctor's mistake and Willy's negligence to take the medicine, ultimately he is responsible for what enters his body. That is not the case with Puerta's case, I think his sentence was reduced to 2 years because the court found that the illegal substance was not enhancing his performance. However, Puerta's original story barely passes the laugh test and the player is again responsible for what enters his body.

Tomy
05-14-2007, 12:36 AM
It is definitely a different case than Canas, in the latter's case we know the facts, it was the doctor's mistake and Willy's negligence to take the medicine, ultimately he is responsible for what enters his body. That is not the case with Puerta's case, I think his sentence was reduced to 2 years because the court found that the illegal substance was not enhancing his performance. However, Puerta's original story barely passes the laugh test and the player is again responsible for what enters his body.

That was Willy's substance. I don't know if the one they found on Mariano was that type of substance (the one that covers other drugs but doesn't give any physical advantages), but he is saying that his sentence was reduced cause they accepted it was accidental. Red it today on the newspaper.

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 12:43 AM
I doubt he can back to his Best Level, he is not Cañas but then again who expected he could back to play top tennis after his big injuries and first doping sanction :shrug: .

its.like.that
05-14-2007, 12:47 AM

What if he was tied down and injected with the substance?

:shrug:

Johnny Groove
05-14-2007, 12:53 AM
wow, just what atp needs..... another argentinian

Just what MTF needs. ANOTHER troll :rolleyes:

Merton
05-14-2007, 12:54 AM

We need a lawyer to answer this question :lol: I can see the logic of the rule though, if that was not the case then you would have a wide open avenue for dopers to argue how they got the substance accidentally.

Snowwy
05-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Whos the last prominant player not from Argentina to have a drug suspension

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 12:58 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry i got nothing for you :) The Argies sure do love their performance enhancing drugs

El Legenda
05-14-2007, 01:00 AM

your stiupd

its.like.that
05-14-2007, 01:01 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry i got nothing for you :) The Argies sure do love their performance enhancing drugs

Drugs or no drugs, they still perform better than the Croat monkeys.

:wavey:

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 01:03 AM

Nalbandian, Calleri, Acasuso, Gaudio, Zabaleta Monaco and DEl Potro have never had any problem. Although I don't think you are asking this question in good faith.

jayjay
Does that mean that Puerta is guilty and Willy isn't? I mean, how can we really know this stuff?

I'm merely stating that it's not 'silly' for people to look at the cases of Cañas and Puerta differently given the evidence at hand. We can know everything and nothing if we want to go by our own assumptions and beliefs, but what we can know for sure and that is not up for debate is the evidence presented and verified.

its.like.that
your stiupd

Yes Jerry, you donut puncher

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Drugs or no drugs, they still perform better than the Croat monkeys.

Yep Ljubo ranked # 8, the top Argie # 17. Nice try tool.

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 01:10 AM

Gaudio: 1 GS
Nalbandian: 1 master
Coria: 2 TMS

Ljubicic: sorry,I don't remember MM tournaments. You can tell me though

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Gaudio: 1 GS
Nalbandian: 1 master
Coria: 2 TMS

Ljubicic: sorry,I don't remember MM tournaments. You can tell me though

People also dont remember one slam wonders and some nutjob who cant play tennis because of his inability to put in a serve.

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
People also dont remember one slam wonders and some nutjob who cant play tennis because of his inability to put in a serve.

At least, Gaudio has more chances to be remembered for winning RG than Ljubicic for winning Lyon and the Zagreb challenger

:haha:

*Viva Chile*
05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Cañas case is totally different about Puerta's case. Willy has a total credible excuse based in what Acapulco tournament failed about giving his medication. But I lost all credibility in Puerta after he said "I took accidentally the pills of my wife!" :rolleyes: That's a lame excuse when you're being acused for a second time.

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 01:16 AM
At least, Gaudio has more chances to be remembered for winning RG than Ljubicic for winning Lyon and the Zagreb challenger

Just as many people will remember Ljubo leading Croatia to a Davis Cup title.

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Cañas case is totally different about Puerta's case. Willy has a total credible excuse based in what Acapulco tournament failed about giving his medication. But I lost all credibility in Puerta after he said "I took accidentally the pills of my wife!" :rolleyes: That's a lame excuse when you're being acused for a second time.

Puertas' justification is just laughable. I can't understand how anyone can buy it.

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 01:19 AM

yeah, people should remember how Ancic got the third point while the bald choker lost against Hrbaty.

shotgun
05-14-2007, 01:20 AM

Petr Korda, I guess.

nolop
05-14-2007, 01:23 AM

i dont think people remember davis cup :spit: (other than the countries that actually won it before)

Johnny Groove
05-14-2007, 02:05 AM

More people care about RG than DC, man

virex
05-14-2007, 02:16 AM
source, please?

Tomy
05-14-2007, 02:25 AM

#11 and #12 in the race are Argies, and we all know Willy will end in the top 10. Oh, by the way, there are 12 (yes, twelve) Argies in the top 100... You'll have to wait till Cilic grows to have 3...

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 02:26 AM
#11 and #12 in the race are Argies, and we all know Willy will end in the top 10. Oh, by the way, there are 12 (yes, twelve) Argies in the top 100... You'll have to wait till Cilic grows to have 3...

I could care less about that, I am a fan of Ljubicic not Croatia.

Tomy
05-14-2007, 02:27 AM
source, please?

Sorry, red it this morning on the newspaper, can't give you a link. Anyways, it was an interview, so you can be 100% sure this'll happen.

W!MBLEDON
05-14-2007, 02:36 AM
I hope Puerta loses every match to come. :( There's no room for people like that on tour.

El Legenda
05-14-2007, 02:37 AM
couple things, Gaudio sucks, cheaters suck, Canas Sucks, Puerta sucks, coria serves like a girl, Nalbandian ate 120 big macs at 1 sit in, ohh and Gaudio sucks.

Julio1974
05-14-2007, 02:40 AM
couple things, Gaudio sucks, cheaters suck, Canas Sucks, Puerta sucks, coria serves like a girl, Nalbandian ate 120 big macs at 1 sit in, ohh and Gaudio sucks.

Imagine how much Ljubo sucks considering he has never managed to win anything even close to what Gaudio, Coria, Cañas and Nalbandian achieved.

Maybe you can compare Lubo with Chela or Monaco who have won MM tournaments like Ljubo.

El Legenda
05-14-2007, 02:42 AM
yeah Nalbandian winning a Hot dog eating contest is not a achievment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gast%C3%B3n_Gaudio :rolls: look at the bottom of first paragraph :rolls:

liptea
05-14-2007, 02:43 AM
maybe tons of people have asked/answered this question, but is there a non-conspiracy theory reason to why there is so much scrutiny on the Argentine players? I'm not saying that all of them are dopers or anything like that, but is there a reason that they get caught/have substances in them, even accidentally?

liptea
05-14-2007, 02:44 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gast%C3%B3n_Gaudio :rolls: look at the bottom of first paragraph :rolls:

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha sweet.

CyBorg
05-14-2007, 02:50 AM
In time for Wimbledon where he's sure to win!

ChinoRios4Ever
05-14-2007, 03:08 AM
another world war coming in one month here in MTF :angel:

trixtah
05-14-2007, 03:28 AM

request for an IP ban from wikipedia for false information. Laugh it off, fatass.

yeah, people should remember how Ancic got the third point while the bald choker lost against Hrbaty.

IvanLjubicic, you never addressed this yet :)

Anyway, was never really a fan of Puerta so whatever. We'll see how he does.

El Legenda
05-14-2007, 03:36 AM
request for an IP ban from wikipedia for false information. Laugh it off, fatass.

IvanLjubicic, you never addressed this yet :)

Anyway, was never really a fan of Puerta so whatever. We'll see how he does.

false information, how is that false or true?

and ill address it, Davis cup is played during a whole year, which Ivan went 12-1 and if he didnt ancic would have never had a chance. :retard:

Forehander
05-14-2007, 04:24 AM
wow this guy got caught again while getting thrashed by young Nadal!? haha that's embarrassing. Hope he comes back and do it again!

CooCooCachoo
05-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Good luck to him. I don't like him at all, but I hope he does well and stays clean.

Mimi
05-14-2007, 04:29 AM
oh already, 2 years, time passes so fast :wavey:

martine2
05-14-2007, 11:04 AM
another world war coming in one month here in MTF :angel:

Yes,.... here we go again....:rolleyes:

Burrow
05-14-2007, 11:34 AM

i dont care, i like him and he is coming back. :rocker: :wazzup: :woohoo:

Burrow
05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
wow this guy got caught again while getting thrashed by young Nadal!? haha that's embarrassing. Hope he comes back and do it again!

He got thrashed? that couldnt have been that tight RG final that was nearly into a 5th set could it?

krystlel
05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Wasn't his ban reduced because they went with the old rules instead of the new ones?

AnnaK_4ever
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
It's disgrace to the sport he is allowed to come back. Dopers should be banned forever.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
source, please?

Here is an article from yesterday's newspaper (sorry it's in Spanish). His first tournament will be Braunschweig Challenger in June.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=908122

virex
05-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Here is an article from yesterday's newspaper (sorry it's in Spanish). His first tournament will be Braunschweig Challenger in June.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=908122

thanks a lot!!!!

€Stah
05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
The thread title should be renamed to "back on crack"

Fumus
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Yea, if memory serves me correct, he was positive through all of RG. When they realized it, it was too late, I mean that would really make the tourney look bad if any of that news came out during, or shortly after the tourney. So they waited, they...being the atp, and itf to charge him with the shit. That's why Ivan was pissed because this guy was doing at RG, was testing positive and was still allowed to play. Canas is one case, and it wasn't even his fault. I feel bad for Canas. Puerta is a doper, I don't care if he had it reduced and returned his money or not.

RickDaStick
05-14-2007, 02:22 PM
3 strikes and you're out Mariano.

Viken01
05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Puerta is a doper, I don't care if he had it reduced and returned his money or not.

Can you really call him a doper, as the substance he took didn't enhance his perfomances ?
I can't tell... but if they canceled the ban, it's not for nothing, there is a reason.

Malul
05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
i am just thankful that all other tennis players don't have the bad luck all the argentinian guys have,they all get doped somehow but it is just plain bad luck.

jazar
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
one month eh, that means he will be gradually building up his dosage in preparation

Jogy
05-17-2007, 04:53 PM
This is sad happening to tennis. All fair players against the doping in all sports should wear a black wrist or arm band to show their sadness about this day when justice was reversed and when a two-time career positive tester is allowed more than five years earlier than the court said.

Aren't rules for all to follow? Then the rule should not be bended.
Two times positive? You're out, asshole!

that is how it should be!

and no more excuses :mad:

time to take responseable for that, for what you did

Blue Heart24
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah,yeah it was an accident for sure

every dope is an accident :)

Blue Heart24
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
i am just thankful that all other tennis players don't have the bad luck all the argentinian guys have,they all get doped somehow but it is just plain bad luck.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Blue Heart24
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
i mean an accident can happen,but its just ridicolous how does argentines are claiming all their player are clean :haha:

Maybe Canas is,but Puerta isnt.

There are just too many casses to be "bad luck" imo :haha:

As I said,it can happen once,maybe twice but this is happening to them all the time :haha:

NyGeL
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Despite I'm Argentinean, I'm one of those that doesn't defends Puerta and his case wasn't an accident. Just look at his fitness coach, he is a real doper T_T

But Cañas is inocent and it was proved by the jury.

Puerta will hardly come back to the top (unless he is using steroids again).

Julio1974
05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
i mean an accident can happen,but its just ridicolous how does argentines are claiming all their player are clean :haha:

Maybe Canas is,but Puerta isnt.

There are just too many casses to be "bad luck" imo :haha:

As I said,it can happen once,maybe twice but this is happening to them all the time :haha:

Only in this thread there are at least two Argentines who think Cañas and Puerta cases are very very different. So, I wouldn't generalize.

PS: now, we are three. I hadn't seen Nygel's post.

Hendu
05-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Only in this thread there are at least two Argentines who think Cañas and Puerta cases are very very different. So, I wouldn't generalize.

Every doping case is different. And generalizing to make conclusions is simplistic and absurd.

martine2
05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Every doping case is different. And generalizing to make conclusions is simplistic and absurd.

Exactly!