Tony Roche, Hewitt´s coach? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tony Roche, Hewitt´s coach?

SBruguera
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Hewitt linked with Roche

TONY Roche is poised to become Lleyton Hewitt's coach after being sacked suddenly by world No. 1 Roger Federer.

Roche, regarded as the world's best tennis mentor, is expected soon to confirm his intentions to work with Hewitt after his three-season partnership with Federer disintegrated at the weekend.

Hewitt's manager David Drysdale said yesterday Roche was a strong contender to join the South Australian's camp.

"I'm not sure what Rochey's frame of mind is at the moment, but I'd talk to him, without a doubt," Drysdale said.

"He's worked previously with Lleyton in Davis Cup with great success."

Federer, suddenly wallowing despite winning six of the past seven majors, could team with an Australian again by hiring either Darren Cahill or Roger Rasheed.

Cahill was not available for comment yesterday, while it is known Rasheed has been approached recently by two top-20 players.

Both men formerly worked with Hewitt, who remains without a full-time adviser.

Hewitt has not had a full-time coach since Rasheed's abrupt resignation in Adelaide in January.

Federer has now hired and fired three of the best: South Australian Peter Carter, Swede Peter Lundgren and Roche.

He is top seed for the Hamburg Masters this week, and has shown he can excel without a coach, as he did when winning three majors in 2004.

He is known to be interested in Cahill, who was extremely close to Carter, the man who laid the foundations of Federer's game.

Australia's Davis Cup coach, Cahill guided both Hewitt and Andre Agassi to grand slam successes and the world No. 1 ranking.

Angered by his fourth defeat in as many tournaments since winning in Dubai in February, Federer issued a curt website statement over his parting from Roche.

"I thank Tony very much for his efforts over these last years, during which I appreciated the 12-15 weeks per season we would work together," he said.

"I am also grateful for the sacrifice he made, travelling so far from his home in Australia and leaving his family."

Roche and Federer had shared a quirky handshake arrangement since the start of 2005.

Roche was adamant his travelling commitment would not stretch beyond 15 weeks a year on the road. He routinely refused to attend the US Open, an event Federer has won for the past three years.

And, apart from two dedicated practice blocks, Roche and Federer collaborated on site at only the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

The rest of the work was done either by telephone or email.

Yet, with 25 titles, six majors and an overall record of 192 wins and only 13 losses, the Federer-Roche tandem is one of the best in history.

But it ended in disharmony with rumours of disagreements over scheduling - Roche was not intending to oversee Federer's bid for a fifth consecutive Wimbledon crown.

And there were suggestions the Sydneysider had privately decided to move on because of clashes on other issues, some of which are believed to relate to bonuses.

Hewitt first approached Roche to become his coach in 2002 when Pat Rafter retired.

Roche, who turns 62 on Thursday, had just had hip surgery and was not in a position to help out.

He is now, and there is an obvious connection given both men live in Sydney.

Roche has previously helped Ivan Lendl (world No. 1 and six majors), Rafter (world No. 1 and two majors) and Kiwi Chris Lewis (1983 Wimbledon finalist) achieve career-defining results.

A brilliant but injury-prone serve-volleyer, Roche won the 1966 French singles title, but lost five other major finals.

He played in five winning Davis Cup teams and coached the 1999 champions.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21723769-11088,00.html

Burrow
05-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Hewitt would really do with Roche, who is his coach now? the guy looks about 20, who is he?

tennis2tennis
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
but does roche wanna coach at all, he came out of retirement for roger on a part-time basis only, he probably wants to spend more time with the family

Burrow
05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
tony is getting on a bit, id have thought that too.

its.like.that
05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
:haha:

Don't waste your time Tony.

:o

mashamaniac
05-14-2007, 12:49 AM
don't waste your time lleyton! :haha:

its.like.that
05-14-2007, 12:55 AM
But Lleyton is already wasting his time :shrug:

He never wins anymore...

ReturnWinner
05-14-2007, 01:09 AM
to be fair , both Tony and Hewitt are wasting their time :p

nolop
05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
hewitt is quick, i think just happened 24 hours after tony was fired :spit:

shotgun
05-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Hewitt would really do with Roche, who is his coach now? the guy looks about 20, who is he?

Scott Draper.

Forehander
05-14-2007, 04:44 AM
these are all just ridiculous rumours about them having money issues and stuff. I don't believe them.

*bunny*
05-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Scott Draper.
I think Draper is now back to his golf and Lleyton is now temporarily working with Darren Cahill, who is also looking after the Australian DC team? :confused:

Kolya
05-14-2007, 05:30 AM
What can Roche do to improve Hewitt's game? Nothing really.

RaffaNadal
05-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Help him play a bit less defensively, improve his backhand technique to get a bit more weight and penetration on it and work on his his serve. Mabe get him attacking 2nd serves more and approaching the net a bit more since Hewitt volleys well.

What can Roche do to improve Hewitt's game? Nothing really.

baghdatis
05-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I think Draper is now back to his golf and Lleyton is now temporarily working with Darren Cahill, who is also looking after the Australian DC team? :confused:

That is 100% correct

it was on the news in Australia some time ago

Stensland
05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
hewitt's time is up, so it doesn't make any sense to hire the best coaches in the world anymore. his game is sooooo 90's... :/

Lleytonisthebest
05-14-2007, 04:15 PM
hewitt's time is up, so it doesn't make any sense to hire the best coaches in the world anymore. his game is sooooo 90's... :/

what ?? so 90s ? the guy started to play in 1998 and peaked in 2001-2002 and still was hanging around the top5 in 2004-2005 not even 2 years ago! he defintely is a player of the 2000s:cool:

brent-o
05-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Doubt Roche would go for it, but if he did could be interesting. May try to make Hewitt come to net more, which he really should do given his good volleying skills.

mickymouse
05-15-2007, 05:19 AM
What's the point of hiring a coach who wouldn't even want to travel with you to gand slam events?:shrug:

el güero
05-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Help him play a bit less defensively, improve his backhand technique to get a bit more weight and penetration on it and work on his his serve. Mabe get him attacking 2nd serves more and approaching the net a bit more since Hewitt volleys well.

I'd like to see that happening.

Forehander
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
if Hewitt can hit the ball harder atleast as hard as the top 10 players of the WTP then he'll cause more threat on the circuit. I practiced with him before in my academy, im 15 and I have to admit i hit much harder than him (except for the serves) though I lost pretty bad due to his speed and defense which gave me lots of unforced errors. It's a bit sad. Nevertheless his volley game is quite good though but he never uses it. Waste.

Lleytonisthebest
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM
if Hewitt can hit the ball harder atleast as hard as the top 10 players of the WTP then he'll cause more threat on the circuit. I practiced with him before in my academy, im 15 and I have to admit i hit much harder than him (except for the serves) though I lost pretty bad due to his speed and defense which gave me lots of unforced errors. It's a bit sad. Nevertheless his volley game is quite good though but he never uses it. Waste.
haha much harder than a guy who was nr1 in the world! hahahaha at 15! get down to earth

sarciness
05-15-2007, 04:35 PM
haha much harder than a guy who was nr1 in the world! hahahaha at 15! get down to earth

It does indeed sound doubtful. Unless you try to hit a winner off every shot (hence get pummeled)

FluffyYellowBall
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
i was just watching the penetta/bartoli and the commentator said something about Roche coaching some young wta player..Im sure i heard it but maybe its part time or sumthing?

Burrow
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Scott Draper.

no, definately wasnt scott draper.

Forehander
05-16-2007, 02:20 AM

What im talking about is not foolish pointless smashes without proper balance of the body, Im talking about average stroke speed. Just like when they talk about average stroke speed of a single player in Australian Open, that is, Total Stroke speed/Quantity of Strokes. It ain't doubtful because the truth is shown on every match you watch when he plays. I have nothing much against him but stating the truth, as he is quite a fighter on the court and afterall he was the world number one in the past. His balance, due to his great footwork is in general magnificent, but the true problem lies in his strokes, which have serious problems especially his forehand. His hip and waist rotation just don't seem to correlate and he's using wrong breathing method to maximise the efficiency of his muscles during a performance of a stroke, whilst giving him no power. It's all about the stroke technique, nothing more - Roger Federer and Sebastien Grosjean, who obviously don't have the most muscular bodies on the circuit, can clock a record of 185+ forehands, possibly quickest out of all players. So what's the big deal with a 15 year old 179 cm whose using the correct rotational techniques being able to hit harder than him? Many other players in my junior tour I've seen, and best example for you, Richard Gasquet back at 15 could serve 200k+ and hit much harder than Hewitt, the best ball tapper in the world as my coach once stated. Nevertheless, Sharapova and Justine Henin Hardine or as I mentioned any top 10 female players can hit harder than Hewitt no offense to you mate lol =) It is a bit sad yeh to see him stuck in a stage like this and never improves nowadays... but the incorrect stroke of his has become too natural for him now to change. In another words, he's history.

Lleytonisthebest
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
however i doubt a guy who hits less harder than a 15years old and than a top10 girl could have got to the nr1 rankings, win a slam,etc...just my opinionmaybe his shots aren't the same as federer's but they still have to be great, talently, and very powerful to handle with guys like safin or federer and to beat them.

{Annie}
05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Some friends of mine are in Hamburg right now and they are saying Hewitt's new coach is Darren Cahill

Veronique
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Darren is the Aussie DC team coach just helping Lleyton. I just don't see him going back to being his personal coach. The man could possibly be the next Federer coach. Why in the world would he settle for Hewitt?

Kolya
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
On Australian TV, it said Cahill and Fitzerald are going to help Hewitt during the French and Wimbledon.

Fumus
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Expected result.

Lleytonisthebest
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
just saw on the atptennis site that darren cahill is named as hewitt's coach, don't know what to think..