What does it cost to play tennis in the place you live? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What does it cost to play tennis in the place you live?

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Of course, there are always some free of charge options like public (park) courts, but due to weather they cannot be used all year. So I will start

I live in the Northeast USA and it costs

~US$35/hour to rent an indoor court

~US$60-80/hour to get a private lesson with the pro (note that court time cost is included in this price)

Your turn now :wavey:

Stensland
05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
normally people are members of tennis clubs over here in germany, so they pay per year or month and then can uses the courts as much as they want. it's been awhile since i took tennis lessons so i don't actually know how much you have to pay for lessons (my mom paid for them as i was akid back then). i'll ask her next time i see her. ;)

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 03:24 PM
yeah, we have to be members of club as well and pay (usually) an annual fee, but then we still have to pay an hourly court fee.

By the way, where do you live?

Stensland
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
i edited my posting, i'm from germany.

do you guys have to pay for indoor courts or for outdoor courts as well?

there are some fees for indoor courts over here too.

Neely
05-13-2007, 03:26 PM
indoor court: winter season prices are approx. up to 30€/hour at weekends; or late afternoons and evenings on workdays. Much cheaper in summer.

outdoor claycourt in summer: 4€ to 12€/hour

Mateya
05-13-2007, 03:26 PM
~US$35/hour to rent an indoor court

~US$60-80/hour to get a private lesson with the pro (note that court time cost is included in this price)

WTF? :retard:

- 14-20$ for indoor court

- 20$ for a private lesson, with ex pro (futures, challengers level)

-outdoor claycourt for 4-5$

You should come here and save millions :haha: I play with you for free :) :aplot:

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 03:28 PM
i edited my posting, i'm from germany.

do you guys have to pay for indoor courts or for outdoor courts as well?

there are some fees for indoor courts over here too.

we usually pay for indoor courts only. when the weather gets better we play outdoor on public courts which are for the most part free

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 03:29 PM
WTF? :retard:

- 14-20$ for indoor court

- 20$ for a private lesson, with ex pro (futures, challengers level)

You should come here and save millions :haha: I play with you for free :) :aplot:

where am I going? ;)

Stensland
05-13-2007, 03:29 PM
outdoor claycourt in summer: 4€ to 12€/hour

when you're not a member probably, right? or do you mean paying these prices even if you're a member? i've never heard of that.

Jevel
05-13-2007, 03:32 PM
$40 an hour for indoor hardcourt

$60 for an hour with an instructor

Burrow
05-13-2007, 03:34 PM
nothing but if your paying for lights about 1 dollar.

Neely
05-13-2007, 03:34 PM
when you're not a member probably, right? or do you mean paying these prices even if you're a member? i've never heard of that.
Yes sure, if you are member you can play for free whenever you reserved the court for you or whenever there is any free one available; at least that's how it works in the clubs I know. My prices mostly related to public courts where everybody can go to play.

Stensland
05-13-2007, 03:46 PM
i think germany hasn't got that many "public courts" in the way they are used in the u.s. usually prices for being a member in a tennis club aren't that high (and definitely not as high as in the u.s. where tennis itself still is kinda high class), i pay really little fees. in the u.s. you have these stunning clubs where you pay quite a lot and than the public ones, that are pretty rubbish. i've been on one of them once and i don't know what kinda weird surface that was. i guess you could best describe it as "pure concrete" or something like that.

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
i think germany hasn't got that many "public courts" in the way they are used in the u.s. usually prices for being a member in a tennis club aren't that high (and definitely not as high as in the u.s. where tennis itself still is kinda high class), i pay really little fees. in the u.s. you have these stunning clubs where you pay quite a lot and than the public ones, that are pretty rubbish. i've been on one of them once and i don't know what kinda weird surface that was. i guess you could best describe it as "pure concrete" or something like that.

mostly there are hard courts, but there are some clubs with a carpet.

What surface is in your club?

Neely
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes, maybe the choice of words "public court" is a bit inappropriate for that. What I mean is, courts that do not belong to a club in the first place, where everybody can reserve a court and where none of the players has to be a member in a club.

Stensland
05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
mostly there are hard courts, but there are some clubs with a carpet.

What surface is in your club?

we almost exclusively have clay courts over here. and i mean the whole city.

i'd guess that about 10% (if that!) of german clubs don't have clay courts. a mid-size club usually has its own indoor court(s), which are predominantly carpet or something like that; there are also some weird indoor surfaces over here. look at the little pic right under the headline "tennishalle eichenhof". it's a bright blue surface and it's supposed to be some kinda carpet. i don't even know what it's actually called, but i sure causes eye cancer. :o you can also click on "tennistraining" and than enlarge the little pics on the left side or the upper right side.

http://www.tennishalle-eichenhof.de/

Burrow
05-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Im a member and still have to pay, small price. Its a shitty little sports club.

Burrow
05-13-2007, 04:00 PM
yes

bigbhoy
05-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Don't know how much booking a court would cost in my club because it's for members only.

I take the standard membership that just got the upgraded fees because I went over 23. This is only £300 (Around US#600, EUR#450) for the whole year. 4 indoor tennis courts, 7 all weather outdoor courts, 4 with floodlights. Of course that doesn't include membership to the gym, squash courts, country club etc. There are a few more expensive ones nearby that have membership options (monthly/yearly) as well as on a pay and play basis and facility use, but this one is local to me & I have easy access to it.

sarciness
05-13-2007, 04:02 PM
My university charge £16 (US$32) an hour for indoor courts and £2 (US$4) an hour for outdoor. Lights are free. This is student prices- it's around double for outsiders.

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't know how much booking a court would cost in my club because it's for members only.

I take the standard membership that just got the upgraded fees because I went over 23. This is only £300 (Around US#600, EUR#450) for the whole year. 4 indoor tennis courts, 7 all weather outdoor courts, 4 with floodlights. Of course that doesn't include membership to the gym, squash courts, country club etc. There are a few more expensive ones nearby that have membership options (monthly/yearly) as well as on a pay and play basis and facility use, but this one is local to me & I have easy access to it.

whereabout in UK if I may ask? I may have to move for work to London, so was especially curious about rates in London...

Rosa Luxembourg
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
My university charge £16 (US$32) an hour for indoor courts and £2 (US$4) an hour for outdoor. Lights are free. This is student prices- it's around double for outsiders.

Thats even more expensive than in the US. Where do you live?

Scotso
05-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I only use the public courts, which are free.

To use an indoor court, I would have to drive like an hour to the city and then pay. Not worth it.

El Legenda
05-13-2007, 04:21 PM
My university has its own indoor courts and its free to students :) and its even better now, last year they cancelled the tennis teams :lol: so its open whenever i want to play now

sodman12
05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Free public courts and college courts.

20 bucks and hour for lessons. Usually college tennis player.(or older but used to play college level tennis.)

RickDaStick
05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Where i am its free but i did notice when i was in Europe it seemed like every country only had clubs and you had to pay.

dkw
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I live in New York City, had a lesson yesterday with the resident instructor for the public courts near my house - $40/hr

fenomeno2111
05-13-2007, 07:00 PM
In florida there's courts in a lot of neighborhoods you could just go and play for free, or you could pay $2-4 an hour in a public court. Or around $250 to join a tennis club for a year. In my university I have free courts till midnight so I dont have to pay anything...

NyGeL
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
here in argentina most people plays in a club. If not:

15/25$p/hour

40/60$p/lesson

cobalt60
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I am in New England as well and belong to a club. Pay an annual fee for the family and we get pool access and work out room. Free fitness instruction if wanted. 6 indoor courts are $12/hrUS and if lesson the $35/hr. The 6 outside courts are free although you do need to reserve them. 2 of the 6 are green clay.
All the public courts are free in my town- about 10 total and concrete. They are well maintained.

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Its kind of the opposite here. Cheap courts expensive lessons. There are no publec so u have to be a member in a club and fortunately, my club courts dont consist of sand like some others. Its a really good facility but horrible coaches. 8 pounds per hour ($1.50) and coaching is like 40-60 pounds for a coach who plays the same role as a wall. Unfortunately, younger players (me) opt for better coach but its quite expensive.. 150 per hour (about $25).. You cnt have a shitty coach if you'll play tournaments.

mashamaniac
05-13-2007, 08:21 PM
anyone from russia? i believe there'd be all the courts free for public! cuz most of them ppl play tennis...is there anything free or very very cheap?

sarciness
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Thats even more expensive than in the US. Where do you live?

Exeter, UK

Haile Selassie
05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
$8 per hour (clay)
$5 per hou (hard)

Aerion
05-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Here in South Carolina, I can become a USTA Member (Adult 19 and over) for $40 (individual) for one year. And then to join a team it costs another $20. Not too bad eh?

Many of the USTA players will also join a Tennis or Country Club and play on that team too.

chewy
05-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Im from australia. Cost acceptable, but not a single indoor court in my area.:rain:

In the sydney suburban areas, for adults:

outdoor hard @ Uni - free(for students and their guest only) probably no maintenance, single court, no lights

synthetic grass outdoor @ local tennis club - members $8/yr, day rates $16/hr, night $18/hr. non-members day/night rates $22/$24 per hr
14 Tennis Courts, comps, coaching, No indoor courts

synthetic grass outdoor @ local rsl club - $12/hr(but usually play overtime for free);) 2 courts, no lights

more outdoor courts @ local govt city council courts - varies from $10-18/hr Some with lights.