Nadal suffers from obsessive complusive disorder? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal suffers from obsessive complusive disorder?

DDrago2
05-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I'v just read about this on RF forums, someone posted that maybe he has OCD

Wikipedia: Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions. Thus it is an anxiety disorder. It is listed by the World Health Organization as one of the top ten most disabling illnesses in terms of lost income and diminished quality of life.

What do you think of this? He indeed has much ritualistic behaviour, and lining up watter bottles is expecialy strange

nolop
05-13-2007, 12:16 AM
:spit:

ReturnWinner
05-13-2007, 12:16 AM
possible , his ass touching could be part of this disorder (i am not joking)

PoderShileno
05-13-2007, 12:17 AM
:haha:

Bumsby
05-13-2007, 12:22 AM
It is listed by the World Health Organization as one of the top ten most disabling illnesses in terms of lost income and diminished quality of life.
Judging from the lost income he is perfectly sane! :lol: ;)

Somehow he strikes me as someone being obsessive though.

ReturnWinner
05-13-2007, 12:22 AM
its pretty possible Agassi has this disorder too

Blue Heart24
05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
:rolleyes:

What are u smoking today?

vamosnadal
05-13-2007, 12:26 AM
OCD isn't that simple and straightforward - having rituals doesn't mean that you have a psychiatric condition, it means you're a bit superstitious or have got into habits. It only can be termed OCD if the rituals are very severe, dangerous or are detrimental to someone's health or their ability to lead a normal life.

I read that some of his routines were the idea of Toni to slow Rafa down and to help him concentrate as he can be a bit hyper and lost his concentration easily when he was younger. Just what I read - might not be true. I'm guessing the butt-picking was all Rafa's work though!

Naranoc
05-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Nervous ticks or habits repeatedly practicised by a player on court to help them focus wouldn't be classified as OCD , especially if that in no way translates to their everyday life.

trixtah
05-13-2007, 12:28 AM
OCD isn't that simple and straightforward - having rituals doesn't mean that you have a psychiatric condition, it means you're a bit superstitious or have got into habits. It only can be termed OCD if the rituals are very severe, dangerous or are seriously detrimental to someone's ability to lead a normal life.

I read that some of his routines were the idea of Toni to slow Rafa down and to help him concentrate as he can be a bit hyper and lost his concentration easily when he was younger. Just what I read - might not be true. I'm guessing the butt-picking was all Rafa's work though!

True, but it doesn't have to be seriously detrimental to your life. There are lesser degrees of OCD, though I doubt Rafa has it

Sofyaxo
05-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Most athletes develop ocd type ritual behaviors from their own superstitious habits and mannerisms. Most of the time they start in childhood.

However, the ocd behaviors very rarely carry over into their normal lives.

There is my semiprofessional response.

vamosnadal
05-13-2007, 12:34 AM
True, but it doesn't have to be seriously detrimental to your life. There are lesser degrees of OCD, though I doubt Rafa has it

Not necessarily seriously detrimental to your life, but the compulsions have to be serious enough to affect your ability to lead a normal life to be psychiatrically characterised as Obsessive. As in - if you can't get to appointments on time because you spend too much time carrying out routines such as washing your hands or opening and shutting doors. (To use stereotypical examples)

Sofyaxo
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
It's not classified as OCD. I looked it up in one of my text books.

It's just his own series of mannerisms while playing the sport. That's it end story.

vamosnadal
05-13-2007, 12:40 AM
It's not classified as OCD. I looked it up in one of my text books</a>.

It's just his own series of mannerisms while playing the sport. That's it end story.

I agree, there is absolutely no way you can say he has OCD from just what you see of him on a tennis court!

alfonsojose
05-13-2007, 02:51 AM
:zzz:
Everybody has rituals. When they get out of control, that's OCD.

Kolya
05-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Rafa does not have an OCD, he just has a really bad hemorroid problem.