Roger And Tony Roche End Coaching Relationship [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger And Tony Roche End Coaching Relationship

kobulingam
05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
ROGER AND TONY ROCHE END COACHING RELATIONSHIP

Roger and Tony Roche have mutually decided to end their 2 1/2 year long part time coaching arrangement. "I thank Tony very much for his efforts over these last years, during which I appreciated the 12-15 weeks per season we would work together. I am also grateful for the sacrifice he made, traveling so far from his home in Australia and leaving his family."

EDIT:
http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/news/newsdetail.cfm?uNewsID=550

Sorry I had the link copied (Ctrl C) but somehow didn't paste it in the message.

RickDaStick
05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Atta boy Fed, when you cant beat players ranked outside the top 50 put the blame on your coach.

The_Nadal_effect
05-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Finally, and at just about the right time. Good luck to him
A few weeks before Roland Garros...hmmm, can this change his fortunes?

gusman890
05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
link?

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
This is bullshit.

I don't see a single link to back this up. Shenanigans.

jeevs
05-12-2007, 06:40 PM
scapeGOAT???
:wavey: :wavey: to coach roche

Flibbertigibbet
05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Next time, please post the link. It's here:

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/news/newsdetail.cfm?uNewsID=550

FedFan
05-12-2007, 06:41 PM
It is not bullshit. Go to the Roger Federer Homepage and this message will be confirmed.

I don't know if it is a good thing. :(

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
I stand corrected.

Next time please include a link.

I'm surprised by this because I would have thought that Federer would have waited until after the French. They probably have a disagreement about strategy.

gusman890
thank you.

for a second there, I thought it was fake.

Tomy
Is this actually true??? No coach for RG???

Jimnik
Shocking. What a time for Federer to make this decision.

safin-rules-no.1
05-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Atta boy Fed, when you cant beat players ranked outside the top 50 put the blame on your coach.

thats what i was thinking

anon57
I don't think ending the relationship with Roche theis close to RG is good. Plus this way it seems lke he's blaming Roche and I don't think Roche has that much to do with the way he's playing lately

mickymouse
To be honest, he was playing his best tennis back in 2004 when he didn't have a coach.

Or Levy
OMG.

I don't know what to think.

Roger is quite capable of winning slams without a coach, he had proved that before so maybe he felt this was the right time for him.

mallorn
:eek: Is this the best time for this? :eek:

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Suddenly Federer has no coach and no uncle. He at least needs an uncle!

Somebody call Mats Wilander so he can be Roger's uncle.

Jimnik
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
To be honest, he was playing his best tennis back in 2004 when he didn't have a coach.
Nah, 2006 will be remembered as his best year.

betowiec
05-12-2007, 06:45 PM
mirka should be next

JustJames
05-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I can't find anything about this on the internet...

Any-one got a link?

Edit: Ok spotted it.. thank you :yeah:

Kitty de Sade
Thanks for posting the link. Interesting development and timing indeed.

CyBorg
Wilander

Wilander

Wilander

(for uncle)

Burrow

if he was playing like his 2006 form back in 2004 he would have won all the slams because then, Nadal wasnt a main contender.

Burrow
05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
hmmm...who will Cahill work with next?

Sunset of Age
05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh dear... :eek:
This isn't a good sign, I think - one would expect Fed and Roche to go separate ways after the clay season, not right in the middle of it!

Oh, with regards to the thread title: I think it's rather inappropriate. The link says it was a mutual agreement, interpreting it as if Fed has told Roche to 'buzz off' doesn't sound right to me. It could well have been that Roche has told Fed that he can't do anything for him anymore at this stage of his carreer...

FedFan
05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
mirka should be next

:worship:

Sunset of Age
05-12-2007, 06:51 PM
^^ Oh yeah, let's turn this thread into a Mirka-bashing one again.
How original. :rolleyes:

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Let's not upset her. She'll just start eating more.

Kitty de Sade
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM

You knew it had to happen, eh Karin? When you deal with unoriginal people who post...they post things that are well, unoriginal.

One more incoming hug for you, just because. :hug:

jazar
05-12-2007, 06:55 PM
last years tactic to beat nadal on clay was to come to the net and it very nearly worked. but in monte carlo fed hardly ever came to the next against rafa, so he must have lost confidence in roche's tactics

kobulingam
05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Roger needs someone like Cahill.

sykotique
05-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow. Weirdest thing in the world.

If Fed goes out early at Roland Garros, we'll look back at this and shake our heads.

If he (very unlikely) wins it, we'll look back think...wow.

And he does anything less than dominate Wimbledon without losing a set, we'll start to wonder if this was the first sign of the apocalypse.

No offence to Tony, but I really don't think there is much more he can offer a guy like Roger. He has almost all the shots in the game and pretty much knows how and when to use them. The problem isn't so much the strategy or the skills, its in the application, in the match itself and that's something Tony will never be able to help him with.

Maybe he really does need a Gilbert...

betowiec
05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
last years tactic to beat nadal on clay was to come to the net and it very nearly worked. but in monte carlo fed hardly ever came to the next against rafa, so he must have lost confidence in roche's tactics

who was playing next to rafa
lol

RonE
Interesting timing.

I wonder if he felt he maximised and got the most he could out of roche as he did with Lundgren when he dumped him.

I honestly don't know what to think about how this will affect his game but maybe as people have said he needs to go back and play more "instinctive" tennis- he might be feeling as if he is stagnating.

In early 2004 people were having doubts but it turned out to be the right decision then. Time will tell if he has made a good choice this time too.

CyBorg

Where exactly did it nearly work? Roger almost won in Rome because the clay is different than at the French and Monte Carlo and he was consistently hitting the lines with his forehand.

The volleying tactic does not work anymore. Stop mentioning it. It's not true. It was true 20 years ago, but not anymore. With the advanced racket technology which allows for powerful passing shots, serving and volleying on clay is asinine.

Or Levy
Oh dear... :eek:
This isn't a good sign, I think - one would expect Fed and Roche to go separate ways after the clay season, not right in the middle of it!

Oh, with regards to the thread title: I think it's rather inappropriate. The link says it was a mutual agreement, interpreting it as if Fed has told Roche to 'buzz off' doesn't sound right to me. It could well have been that Roche has told Fed that he can't do anything for him anymore at this stage of his carreer...

I actually think it's a good time for it.

He's obviously in somewhat of a slump, he says he's been practicing a lot, obviously he needs to change SOMETHING - maybe going on his own right now would be good for him.

Tony was hired to help Roger win the French, he's also a leftie... well, that's obviously not helping Roger much, he needs something different, and I totally believe we'll see him coachless for a while now. At least till after the French, if not longer.

rosamunda
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Are we sure that it wasn't Tony who told Roger to buzz off?? Just a thought......

betowiec
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
fedex doesn't need to look for the coach very far...........he could hire one of the experts from MTF:angel:

tangerine_dream
05-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Good. Roche was utterly useless. What exactly has Tony Roche done for Roger these past few years anyway that Roger didn't already do on his own when he was coachless? :shrug:

Jimnik
It might not make a difference. We all know he can play without a coach.

CyBorg
fedex doesn't need to look for the coach very far...........he could hire one of the experts from MTF:angel:

GWHitler would straighter Roger out in a jiffy.

mickymouse
05-12-2007, 07:04 PM
if he was playing like his 2006 form back in 2004 he would have won all the slams because then, Nadal wasnt a main contender.
No, he'll still have lost to Kuerten. I know results wise, 2006 was better but he was also scraping through a lot of the matches.
Somehow, I think it's a good idea for him to drop Roche. Honestly, I think Roche isn't that committed a coach although he may be a nice guy. He doesn't have the fire to push Federer forward.

ExpectedWinner
05-12-2007, 07:05 PM

R=FK with his deep knowledge of Spartan tennis is the best candidate for the job. :yeah:

Or Levy
05-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Well, no doubt about it, his first press conference in Hamburg is going to be VERY interesting.

But he never lets on much anyway, so I don't know what we'll learn.

RonE
05-12-2007, 07:07 PM
No, he'll still have lost to Kuerten. I know results wise, 2006 was better but he was also scraping through a lot of the matches.

I'm not so sure about that- in his loss to Kuerten his backhand was attrocious and he stubbornly refused to vary it trying the topspin cross court backhand which kept on landing short waiting for Kuerten to pounce and kill it. He never tried the slice to give himself more time to get back in the point.

Remember also that Guga's hip wasn't in the best of condition so Roger could have stayed with him a little longer and worn him out eventually in his 2006 form. Guga himself said he was lucky the match was straight sets and if roger had won the third set he didn't think he could have kept on going.

smitty8
05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
With a coach or without one, I don't think it will make a difference for him. :shrug: I guess we'll see soon enough.

Mateya
05-12-2007, 07:16 PM
:cool: It was about time.

Now lets see when and who he gets now????

I feel Fed is capable of playing his best tennis even without a coach, but next weeks will really be interesting. Will he raise his form? Will he produce another shoking loss?
Cant wait...

keylogic
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
http://www.rogerfederer.com

Roger and Tony Roche have mutually decided to end their 2 1/2 year long part time coaching arrangement. "I thank Tony very much for his efforts over these last years, during which I appreciated the 12-15 weeks per season we would work together. I am also grateful for the sacrifice he made, traveling so far from his home in Australia and leaving his family."

UMmm

Metis
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, we don't know what exactly happened between them and who dumped whom, but in any case I think it might be for the best. Roche is too old to travel around with Roger anyway and doesn't seem the appropriate person to get him fired up. It might be that Roger wants to sit down and figure things out by himself. :shrug:

Burrow
05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
already posted

Neely
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
already posted
but the thread title of the duplicate one is better suited :angel:
especially for those among us who are not immediately familiar with an expression like "to buzz off" :lol:

Rogiman
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
He's reacting out of panic.

keylogic
05-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Roger was practically coachless anyway. It seems for Tony it’s all about commitment and work ethic. But with all this modeling and socializing Roger has got a Serena syndrome.

P.S.Sorry for double post.

Greenday
05-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Yess!!!...Have been waiting for this for a long time now!!..get some one who doesn't sleep when u r playing out there on the court!!...Now find tht forehand tht left u before the french open...!!..and the serve too..

No matter wat..ur fan for this life

rosamunda
05-12-2007, 07:48 PM
He's reacting out of panic.

Not so sure about that. What's the point of continuing a relationship that's clearly not been working for a while now - Fed's been doing some weird things on the court recently that have smacked of confusion.

Tnn74
05-12-2007, 07:54 PM
It won't probably make a difference considering how he's been playing as of lately... some are right, maybe he caught something from Safin :lol: he came to Rome a week early to get more practice and what does he do? he shoots a commercial with soccer players :shrug: That's why he played like shit against Volandri... Way to go Fed! that oughtta' help you take RG from Nadal :yeah: maybe he should get rid of Mirka :haha:

Forehander
05-12-2007, 07:55 PM

that's not true. Tony helped him alot on his strokes as well. Though in 2004 they were superb already but training with tony lifted him to another level.

Im sure Roger made long consideration in this decision and had a thorough chat with Tony as well. He has learned everything there is to learn from Roche and it's now time to move on to another who is fresh for him.

vamosnadal
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't think Roche was the best coach for Roger and his RG hopes, as I think he needs someone to give him more grit and steel on the surface. I don't think the split will have a bad effect on Roger's game or the French Open, but I think the timing shows all of his opponents that despite all of the denials in his interviews, he actually is worried about his form and chances.

Billabong
05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Roger's very best tennis came in late 2006 (from the US Open, when his backhand became REALLY effective, till the end of the year) and in AO 2007 (re-watch his SF against Roddick). He was really invincible and there was no weakness in his game at all... Roger's backhand nowadays (except his match against Volandri) is 100 times better than it was in 2004-2005 I think, maybe Roche helped him a lot with that shot... Because it was still a weakness in his game (2005 US Open, it was quite terrible) and he definitely improved it a lot.

Billabong
05-12-2007, 08:02 PM
that's not true. Tony helped him alot on his strokes as well. Though in 2004 they were superb already but training with tony lifted him to another level.

Im sure Roger made long consideration in this decision and had a thorough chat with Tony as well. He has learned everything there is to learn from Roche and it's now time to move on to another who is fresh for him.

I totally agree, his strokes in late 2006 were definitely superior:yeah:

MissMoJo
05-12-2007, 08:10 PM
When he said he'd be analysing things after the Volandri loss, I certainly didn't expect the result to be this drastic. Maybe the recent difficulities have made him realize that he needs a hands on coach and not just a sometime traveling consultant. That, or he figures Tony's input has been complicating things lately. Either way I doubt the decision was rash, and just hope it works out for the best.

Beforehand
05-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I think I want Roger to have a willful coach that will push him. I think it can be a problem when you're as good as Roger is to keep the fire. I mean...I know people will say that's not a problem, but I just can't imagine by the time you win 9 of 13 majors that you don't lose some of that fire that you have when you are trying to win your first or second. I'd like to see Roger grab a coach that'd give him a good "Fuck you, you should have 15 slams by now.", for lack of a better way to put it. Someone to really give him some sort of killer instinct, though with Roger's personality, I wouldn't expect anything Roddick-like or something (in will, not ability).

Veronique
05-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, Cahill is available.

t0x
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
He needs a coach to help him on the mental side of things a bit more.

Tony has vastly improved Federer's ground stokes (BH mostly so), but his mental game has been in decline this year...

Interesting time to chose to do this... a disagrement on tactics was the reason I imagine.

Forehander
05-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I love it when Federer gives us these surprises! Lets see what's going to upcome this time from the Swiss Magician =P

pistolmarat
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Finally. I was not a fan of Roche in Fed's trainer box. Maybe now Roger will play more aggressive, using all his abilities.

BigAlbinoDonky
05-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Federer is looking to blame everyone except for the one truly to blame, Mirka. Firing Tony is only going to hurt his game.

Jade Fox
05-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I pretty much saw this coming. Roger needs a coach that will give him a good kick in the pants. A coach who would look him straight in the eye and say "You won ten slams? Bitch please. Your game can still improve."

MisterQ
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Roger needs someone like Cahill.

Interesting. :) But can you be more specific? What is it about Cahill that you think would be helpful for Roger?

ryan23
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Federer isnt blaming tony or anyone for his recent defeats.. if you look at the top players they always go through a few coaches after a few loses look at hewitt.roddick etc...

obviously federer feels another coach will get more out of him than tony has been of late, he needs to win more on clay and a new coach could help!

ryan23
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I pretty much saw this coming. Roger needs a coach that will give him a good kick in the pants. A coach who would look him straight in the eye and say "You won ten slams? Bitch please. Your game can still improve."

true m8

FedFan_2007
05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Bottom line is Roger needs to have his ego shattered. No coach will be allowed to, so he has to do it himself. Roger has to tell himself, "I'm playing like shit, my mental approach is shit, I have to stop thinking so much and just play the kind of tennis I know I can". Basically when you're struggling, you can take 2 approaches:

1. It's somebody elses fault, it's bad luck.
2. I'm performing like shit, I have to totally deconstruct myself and fix what's wrong.

If Roger persists in #1, he's truly finished.

I think Roger has bought into the GOAT talk after the 2007 AO. He admits that he loves reading the headlines right after he wins a slam. Isn't that a bit stupid?

GonzoFed
05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I think I want Roger to have a willful coach that will push him. I think it can be a problem when you're as good as Roger is to keep the fire. I mean...I know people will say that's not a problem, but I just can't imagine by the time you win 9 of 13 majors that you don't lose some of that fire that you have when you are trying to win your first or second. I'd like to see Roger grab a coach that'd give him a good "Fuck you, you should have 15 slams by now.", for lack of a better way to put it. Someone to really give him some sort of killer instinct, though with Roger's personality, I wouldn't expect anything Roddick-like or something (in will, not ability).

It is amazing how people don't seem to understand the magnitude of Federer accomplishments during the last THREE years. You can't win 10 slams without having a killer instict.PERIOD. I'm not making excuses for his struggles of late, but he was due to have an slump. It's up to him to find the right tactics and specially the motivation (the hardest part IMO) to overcome it.

FedFan_2007
05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
It is amazing how people don't seem to understand the magnitude of Federer accomplishments during the last THREE years. You can't win 10 slams without having a killer instict.PERIOD. I'm not making excuses for his struggles of late, but he was due to have an slump. It's up to him to find the right tactics and specially the motivation (the hardest part IMO) to overcome it.

Thanks for calling out bullshit. No one's been a bigger killer off clay from 2004-2006 then Federer. Nadal is the clay killer of course. What Fed needs to do is ask himself why he doesn't feel like a killer anymore, and if it's possible to get back to that mental state.

DMNRS22
05-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Now we see Federer's real colors. When the going gets tough blame someone else instead of yourself! He should be practicing instead of hanging out with Tiger!

FedFan_2007
05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Now we see Federer's real colors. When the going gets tough blame someone else instead of yourself! He should be practicing instead of hanging out with Tiger!

Fortunately Fed tunes out idiots like you. ASsholes like you just loving tearing people down. I imagine you as that kid who loved smashing other kids' sand castles.

Eden
05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Shocking. What a time for Federer to make this decision.

It's far better to settle things down now and be ready and prepared for the second half of the year. There are much more tournaments than Roland Garros waiting for Roger.

I'm surprised about the news as I didn't expected a breakup between Roger and Tony, but I trust them both that they made the right decision.

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Very, very interesting....

Right now I'm reading this as, "Roche is not going to get me over the hump...I really need to shake things up."

He may be right if he finds that right person, or starts playing from instinct again.

BTW, to those saying that Roche didn't help him, Fed's BH DTL, BH CC with heavy topspin, Fed's BH return have all dramatically improved.

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
As for his best year, Fed's 2006 is the best year anyone has ever had on tour. He made the finals of every tournament save one...that will almost surely never happen again.

nisha
05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
whats the big deal, i bet he'll make the final, however if he really wanted changed he should have done it well b4 the clay season, tony hasnt added much to roger, its all him!

i love how soo many of you are acting like roger is over

rofe
05-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Very, very interesting....

Right now I'm reading this as, "Roche is not going to get me over the hump...I really need to shake things up."

He may be right if he finds that right person, or starts playing from instinct again.

BTW, to those saying that Roche didn't help him, Fed's BH DTL, BH CC with heavy topspin, Fed's BH return have all dramatically improved.

Yes, Roche has definitely improved his BH game. On the other hand, Roger's service game (especially his 1st serve) seems to have declined. His forehand also went for a tailspin recently.

I think a full time coach/coachless arrangement would be beneficial but the timing is very strange. I guess Roger's Hamburg press conference will provide us with more information.

1sun
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
he will come back stronger.

LinkMage
05-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Finally! I hope he now gets a proper coach.

He should dump Mirka next.

1sun
05-12-2007, 09:39 PM

why? he loves the women, so why in the hell should he dump her? happiness must come before success.

R.Federer
05-12-2007, 09:42 PM
How awkward to have to fire someone of Roche's seniority and stature. And after making all those longhaul flights from Oz. :lol:

I hope Federer knows what he's doing.

bad gambler
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, Cahill is available.

No he isn't

Tnn74
05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Fortunately Fed tunes out idiots like you. ASsholes like you just loving tearing people down. I imagine you as that kid who loved smashing other kids' sand castles.

:rolleyes: Real Classy. Coming from the same person who, just a few days ago, after Federer lost to Volandri, said that we should "write" off Roger altogether for the rest of the season. :o

I guess the bandwagon was waiting, you just needed to get back on :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
05-12-2007, 10:07 PM
That's nice. Unfortunately none of these improvements have helped him solve the Rafa riddle to win RG, which is a big reason why Roger hired Roche in the first place.

€Stah
05-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Fortunately Fed tunes out idiots like you. ASsholes like you just loving tearing people down. I imagine you as that kid who loved smashing other kids' sand castles. Well, that's always funny.

Sofyaxo
05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Interesting choice and timing. I'm still not sure/convinced about the things Tony did for him, because he was hardly ever near him.

It'll be cool to see how this all works out, and how long it takes him to get a new coach. If it happens in the next month or so, maybe even up to right after Wimbledon, I'd be willing to think that he had someone lined up already.

He does need a coach, someone who he can respect who can sit him down and just tell him off. 44 UE isn't a bad day, it's playing like shit.

The Magic Hand
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Good news. Nothing against Tony, really, but in the last weeks I always had the impression that something big has to change, I was'nt sure what, but I trust Roger in his decision. The important thing is that he realised that the current path was'nt good for him, let's see if the new path is any better ... I would hope it is. :)

Btw, I don't think he needs a new coach for the rest of the year.

Fredi

tcorinna
05-12-2007, 10:22 PM
:eek: :eek: This news just stuns me ... I don't know what to say ... but I trust Roger and if he thought it was the time to put an end to this ... than probably it is the best thing for him ... Goodluck Roger at Hamburg and RG :)

Billabong
05-12-2007, 10:28 PM
That's nice. Unfortunately none of these improvements have helped him solve the Rafa riddle to win RG, which is a big reason why Roger hired Roche in the first place.

He hired Roche at the very start of 2005, and that was months before Rafa became a force and a main rival.. At first he simply wanted to improve a few things in his game with Roche, but I agree that once Rafa proved himself as a big threat to him, Roger counted on Roche to help him.. Still, Roche definitely helped Roger's backhand overall a lot!

DMNRS22
05-12-2007, 10:29 PM

I love getting people like you all worked up! :devil:

Merton
05-12-2007, 10:29 PM
The timing of the announcement is interesting, as is the question of whether Roger will hire a new coach or play solo, as he did back in 2004.

Merton
05-12-2007, 10:31 PM
The decision creates an opening for the most lucrative coaching job in the business. Sadly, I am not qualified enough to step forward.

federated
05-12-2007, 10:31 PM

:lol: :worship:

maybe wilander?

Eden
05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
The decision creates an opening for the most lucrative coaching job in the business.

But it's also a difficult and demanding job to coach a player with the success of Roger. The expectations are so high for both - for Roger and a new coach.

dj_mercury
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Remain without trainer would look like a really dubious decision to me. He is facing his most difficult moment since he is the world number one, so is really key for him to find back some confidence fast and I don't know if he is able to do it alone. He surely is the most talented player of the circuit, but as for caracter and fighting spirit he surely can improve quiet a lot and in the current situation he needs more the latters.

GonzoFed
05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
The decision creates an opening for the most lucrative coaching job in the business. Sadly, I am not qualified enough to step forward.

You are one of the few MTF posters who thinks like that.

asotgod
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM
About time. No good the coach did for him. Strategy against Nadal was constantly flawed.

federated
05-12-2007, 11:15 PM
best piece on this so far from the Times UK:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article1782044.ece

d3ck
05-12-2007, 11:19 PM
This change will benefit him... next it will be changing his chubby girlfriend...

:zzz:

leng jai
05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Oscar Hernandez should retire after his Wimbledon victory and teach Federer how to school Rafa with ease with his S&V shenanigans.

pigbrain
05-13-2007, 12:22 AM
So, Tony won't be with Roger at Roland Garros?

Roger The Great
05-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Great move by Roger as far as I'm concerned. Roger really needs to get back to his game and he needed a big shake-up. Hopefully Roger can find some answers within himself over these next couple weeks.

gusman890
05-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Roger just needs to rediscover himself and believe in his game again, once that happens, he will win again.

Havok
05-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Honestly though, does Federer absolutely NEED a coach? I think he would be much better off with a personal trainer/fitness guy to travel with him all the time because if there's one thing Federer should be working on is that. He really doesn't need a coach to improve his game (the improvement will be so marginal that it won't even be seen anyways, plus i's not like a coach can miraculously turn his slicing backhand into a blast a way backhand to match his incredible forehand).

I am also in agreement that the cow named Mirka should get the boot. Always hated the bitch.:D

sawan66278
05-13-2007, 01:53 AM

Somebody call Mats Wilander so he can be Roger's uncle.:haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, the timing of this is truly terrible. As much as Fed fans may not want to admit it, the mystique of complete invincibility is gone. Yes, Roger is clearly the best player in the world. He will likely remain #1 for the near future. However, the days of winning sets and matches by simply stepping on the court are over. The locker room will be abuzz that Roger's confidence is shaken. And who can argue? Since Dubai, Rafa has been the #1 player in the world.

Roger, like the playground bully, cannot take a real punch to the nose. Once the veil of power is pierced, the bully often looks to blame others or runs with his tail between his legs. Often, when faced with a REAL challenge, from players who do not fear him...crumbles. Canas was not afraid, Volandri, bolstered by the home crowd, showed no fear...Rafa is NEVER afraid of Roger...

A truly desperate, but unnecessary move by the world #1

calvinhobbes
05-13-2007, 01:55 AM
What Roger must change is his "inner" coach. He has lost his fighting spirits and seems to be playing in automatic mode. Maybe his visit to Sampras before IW showed him the futility of it all. No sense in fighting so hard to become a bitter ex, like Pistol is. Fed is a sensible soul and must find a trascendent motivation for his struggle, other than the transient glory for itself. He must reinvent a "Sturm und Drang" ethics of struggle. And no coach could give it to him, except his inner coach. The same one that gave him that unbelievable illumination in 2003, after some shameful defeats.
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

nobama
05-13-2007, 02:02 AM
I am also in agreement that the cow named Mirka should get the boot. Always hated the bitch.:DSo this is what passes for discourse in GM. Brilliant. :yeah:

nobama
05-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Roger, like the playground bully, cannot take a real punch to the nose. Once the veil of power is pierced, the bully often looks to blame others or runs with his tail between his legs. Often, when faced with a REAL challenge, from players who do not fear him...crumbles. Canas was not afraid, Volandri, bolstered by the home crowd, showed no fear...Rafa is NEVER afraid of Roger...

A truly desperate, but unnecessary move by the world #1Same old BS. :rolleyes: Did you watch the Volandri match? You're whacked if you think Volandri won that match because he wasn't afraid of Roger. Go look at the stats. I don't think Almagro is afraid of Roger but it didn't do him much good a day earlier. Funny how at the moment any player who beats Roger is a real challenge and someone who doesn't fear him. Now Volandri is added to the list :haha:

Anyway the fact that he's lost 4 tournaments in a row and lost to Volandri is proof enough that he's in a slump/lost confidence in his game right now. I think the players are well aware of the state of his game right now. Of course if he comes out of this slump and goes on to win RG or Wimbledon everyone will say it was a brilliant move. If he doesn't people will say it was a stupid move.

GonzoFed
05-13-2007, 02:13 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, the timing of this is truly terrible. As much as Fed fans may not want to admit it, the mystique of complete invincibility is gone. Yes, Roger is clearly the best player in the world. He will likely remain #1 for the near future. However, the days of winning sets and matches by simply stepping on the court are over. The locker room will be abuzz that Roger's confidence is shaken. And who can argue? Since Dubai, Rafa has been the #1 player in the world.

A truly desperate, but unnecessary move by the world #1

Don't project your own inferiority complex on Federer.

05-13-2007, 02:17 AM
scapeGOAT???
:wavey: :wavey: to coach roche
Well Roger hasn't won 4 Tournaments now in a row so the blame had to go somewhere :lol:

W!MBLEDON
05-13-2007, 02:20 AM
:lol: Finally! I swear, at one point in the MC final, shortly into the first set, the camera panned onto Tony and he was having a nap. :eek: The commentator said, "Oh, it's not that bad, Tony..." :lol:

Anyway, good decision by Rog IMO. He's still favourite to win RG in my eyes. :yeah:

Johnny Groove
05-13-2007, 02:31 AM

Somebody call Mats Wilander so he can be Roger's uncle.

:rolls:

mirka should be next

Let's not upset her. She'll just start eating more.

maybe he should get rid of Mirka :haha:

Federer is looking to blame everyone except for the one truly to blame, Mirka. Firing Tony is only going to hurt his game.

Finally! I hope he now gets a proper coach.

I am also in agreement that the cow named Mirka should get the boot. Always hated the bitch.:D

Get rid of Mirka? So his cover-up for his numerous gay relationships is gone? No way, he needs her

Forehander
05-13-2007, 02:59 AM
lol poor Federer. Getting numerous accusations just for parting from a coach. Guys there is absolutely nothing wrong with dumping a coach when he has learnt everything there is to learn from him. I actually have a feeling that it's actually Tony Roche's decision to part with Federer from the way it sounds.

Jaffas85
05-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Perhaps he can hire Rod Laver as his new coach as I don't see anyone else who could be in a position to tell Federer how to approach his game, especially on clay.

sawan66278
05-13-2007, 03:36 AM
What I mean, with respect to Volandri, was that when he was serving for the match, he DID NOT crumble. In the past, players have often simply gone away, and not taken advantage of the opportunities Roger gave them. (James Blake at the U.S. Open for instance).

You can argue all you want...but my point is...the ending of the coaching relationship generates speculation about Roger's confidence...regardless of the reason...and this will undoubtedly help the opposition.

neme6
05-13-2007, 03:44 AM
finally! what was Rosche doing anyway? Teaching Roger to play tennis really? I just don't think Rosche had a lot to offer for Roger.

my0118
05-13-2007, 04:02 AM
maybe we can think differently. there had been unsettled things between them even before in Rome, then roger got distracted and lost to volandri by his poor performance, so roger and roche decided to separate from each other.

DhammaTiger
05-13-2007, 04:08 AM
finally! what was Rosche doing anyway? Teaching Roger to play tennis really? I just don't think Rosche had a lot to offer for Roger.

Roche helped Roger with his backhand slice and net play if I am not mistaken.

neme6
05-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Roche helped Roger with his backhand slice and net play if I am not mistaken.

Which he allready before, maybe not the backhand though.

aussie_fan
05-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Strange timing for Roger, just a couple of weeks before RG. I don't get it.

Fedex
05-13-2007, 04:40 AM
I am shocked and did not expect this. I have to say the timing of this is questionable. I'm not sure how much a 'mutual agreement' this was either. It'll be interesting to see how he plays after this.

rafagirlno1
05-13-2007, 04:58 AM
so finally Roche decided to fire Roger :awww:
i thought Roche would make this decision after roger loses in RG(as usual) but at this point of time ... :awww:

Daniel
05-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Wish you the best my wonderful Roger :kiss: :hug:

Allez
05-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Good decision. I think he should go without a coach for the rest of the season. He's done it before. Only Rogi can haul himself out of this slump. No coach can do it.

Gasquet&Feli_Fan
05-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Saw it coming a mile away.

Allez
05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
And by the way his manager needs firing next. All these other "engagements" are a distraction. He's a tennis player first and foremost. His manager should drill that into him and cut out the celebrity/publicity/partying nonsense. Surely he does not need the money. All his new celebrity "friends" will magically disappear if this slump becomes permanent. I wonder who his manager is...

nobama
05-13-2007, 08:26 AM
And by the way his manager needs firing next. All these other "engagements" are a distraction. He's a tennis player first and foremost. His manager should drill that into him and cut out the celebrity/publicity/partying nonsense. Surely he does need the money. All his new celebrity "friends" will magically disappear if this slump becomes permanent. I wonder who his manager is...As if Roger's the first athlete to have off-court interests or celebrity friends. :rolleyes: Nobody was bitching about this stuff when he was winning all the time. I mean shit, he did a spread in Vogue magazine in 2004 but I don't remember people complaining that it was a "distraction". I think all this off-court stuff is a red herring. The guy's going through an inevitable slump after dominating for 3+ years. What he did in those 3 years was amazing (reaching all of the finals but one in 2006 may never be repeated by anyone), but there's no way he could keep that going forever.

Forehander
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
his manager is Mirka right? Just leave her out of this jeez... She takes good care of Roger when he does his usual sleep walks at night.

Action Jackson
05-13-2007, 08:40 AM
his manager is Mirka right? Just leave her out of this jeez... She takes good care of Roger when he does his usual sleep walks at night.

It used to be.

Federer used to be with International Mafia Group, then he left them and Mirka was the manager and things were ok and now he is back with IMG.

Deivid23
05-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Who the fuck cares, Roche was a puppet anyway

Allez
05-13-2007, 08:51 AM
As if Roger's the first athlete to have off-court interests or celebrity friends. :rolleyes: Nobody was bitching about this stuff when he was winning all the time. I mean shit, he did a spread in Vogue magazine in 2004 but I don't remember people complaining that it was a "distraction". I think all this off-court stuff is a red herring. The guy's going through an inevitable slump after dominating for 3+ years. What he did in those 3 years was amazing (reaching all of the finals but one in 2006 may never be repeated by anyone), but there's no way he could keep that going forever.

And he also needs to get rid of that outfit. He's been playing crap since he started wearing that in IW. The sort of thing a manager should notice.

Open your eyes Mirkaland. Something's not right. Roger seems a little distracted on court. Not focused. He has even more off courts engagements now than at any time i the past. The marketing machine has gone into overdrive. Not only that but he's getting so involved in the politics of the sport with his public duel with Mr Disney. There's just too much on his plate. Cut down. Streamline. Optimise. That's what his manager should be singing to his ear ;)

FedFan_2007
05-13-2007, 09:07 AM
What Roger must change is his "inner" coach. He has lost his fighting spirits and seems to be playing in automatic mode. Maybe his visit to Sampras before IW showed him the futility of it all. No sense in fighting so hard to become a bitter ex, like Pistol is. Fed is a sensible soul and must find a trascendent motivation for his struggle, other than the transient glory for itself. He must reinvent a "Sturm und Drang" ethics of struggle. And no coach could give it to him, except his inner coach. The same one that gave him that unbelievable illumination in 2003, after some shameful defeats.
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Best post of the day. This inner struggle, and not technical things are the heart of the matter.

CmonAussie
05-13-2007, 09:44 AM
><::
Very disappointing!!!

2006 was FED`s best year ever & he got there with a bit of help from Roche!

2007 AO was near perfect [didn`t lose a set]!!

Roger`s recent losses have nothing to do with Roche.. FED`s taking the easy way out & he may regret it!!

t0x
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
><::
Very disappointing!!!

2006 was FED`s best year ever & he got there with a bit of help from Roche!

2007 AO was near perfect [didn`t lose a set]!!

Roger`s recent losses have nothing to do with Roche.. FED`s taking the easy way out & he may regret it!!

Nah, Fed clearly appreciates the work Roche has done - his game has improved under him.

I think this is all down to Roche teaching Fed everything he has to know, and now Fed wants to go it alone for a bit before eventually finding a coach to help him sort his brain out.

D Optimist
05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
He must change Mirka...

nobama
05-13-2007, 12:41 PM
To the dump Mirka crowd: it's OK for her to be the "scapegoat" but not Roche? :confused:

nobama
05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
And he also needs to get rid of that outfit. He's been playing crap since he started wearing that in IW. The sort of thing a manager should notice.

Open your eyes Mirkaland. Something's not right. Roger seems a little distracted on court. Not focused. He has even more off courts engagements now than at any time i the past. The marketing machine has gone into overdrive. Not only that but he's getting so involved in the politics of the sport with his public duel with Mr Disney. There's just too much on his plate. Cut down. Streamline. Optimise. That's what his manager should be singing to his ear ;)My eyes are wide open thank you very much. I know something isn't right I just don't believe it's because of too much off court activities. If anything it's just a downturn, a slump that bound to happen after being on top and dominating for so long. Also maybe the constant GOAT talk and the likes of Agassi and Sampras saying he could win 18-20 slams got too much for him. He did say in an interview in March that he wished everyone would stop with the "greatest ever" talk until his career was finished.

ycpg
05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm not a fanatic. I'm a tennis fan. I like Fed, but also a good match. Whether Nadal, Safin, or a qualy. I've been around for a long time, kid. Since the time of Borg. OK?

Roche probably got the most enviable job in the world. And to think he can do this part-time, enjoying his family/home while earning big bucks. Put yourself in his place? Would you drop this employer? It sounds too farfetched to me, that's all.

Fed is an employer, make no mistake. All players go thru coach changes, especially when they're not making progress on the promised results. The results for Fed isn't coming after more than a year of trying on clay. What do you do if you are the boss?

jeevs
05-13-2007, 01:32 PM
"An immediate replacement is not expected and Federer is likely to begin his French Open tilt alone."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6650567.stm

wildegirl05
05-13-2007, 01:54 PM
fox sports australia is speculating about cahill. there's also a suggestion that the split was over bonuses, which just seems unlikely to me.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21724667-23216,00.html

roche/hewitt seems like a decent idea though.

nsidhan
05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Roger, you know how to play right. Just look back at your 2004-2006 years. See what you are doing differently or wrong now and change. Plus improve the mental aspect of your game. Learn how to win the big points again. I have heard you mention that in countless interviews.

Fix your forehand, improve your return of serve and serve harder!

No one is doubting your greatness.:worship:

FSRteam
05-13-2007, 04:19 PM

nadal didn't play rg that year, he was injured... therefore he was not even a contender! ;)

dorkino
05-13-2007, 04:22 PM
This might be an unexpected move at the time but perhaps it may not turn out to be that bad. Time is gonna tell anyway.

Pfloyd
05-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree with the commentary said by the latin ESPN commentators, Federer should consider getting a clay-court coach.

It can only help.

anon57
05-13-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree with the commentary said by the latin ESPN commentators, Federer should consider getting a clay-court coach.

It can only help.

But focussing too much on the clay courts may hurt his game on other surfaces. So that might not be the best solution. He needs to find his form and confidence again.

tangerine_dream
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Strange timing for Roger, just a couple of weeks before RG. I don't get it.
I think this is a big slap in the face for Roche, a former Roland Garros winner. By dumping him just before the French Open begins, Roger was basically telling him, "You, an RG champion, can't help me win RG." :eek:

On the other hand, we still don't know if it was Roche who decided he'd had enough and left on his own accord.

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
There's not some magic formula or coach that's going to help him win RG. He has what it takes to win, he just has to bring it out against Nadal over 5 sets and maybe that is just not possible.

No clay coach is going to give him enough advice/techniques to help him beat Nadal. Remember, he has beaten everyone else on clay, and lot of the times, those wins have been routine like it was on hardcourts. Before his horrible match with Volandri, Fed had won Hamburg, made the SF at RG (loss to Nadal), runner-up at MC (Nadal), runner-up at Roma (Nadal), runner-up at RG (Nadal), runner-up at mc (Nadal). Not even RG winners have that much consistent success on clay losing only to one player. If not for Nadal, he's an RG winner and Rome winner and MC winner and...but Nadal is there so it's a moot point.

World Beater
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
lol at the morons who think that roche had nothing to do with roger's game.

roche made roger even more dominant on non-clay surfaces and was instrumental in helping roger's confidence in the wimbledon final against nadal last year.

to the deitool23: if you dont care, dont post...comprende?

sykotique
05-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Roche did help Roger. 2005 and 2006 will go down as 2 of the top 5 most dominant years in tennis, due in no small part to Roche's work.

However, I think it's fair to say that Roche has taken Roger as far as he possibly can. There's NO coach that can tell you how to go out there and win the Grand Slam, no matter how talented you are. Maybe Fed just needs to figure it out on his own.

Deivid23
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM

STFU, comprende? :lol:

Horatio Caine
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Que quieres decir? :silly:

Jlee
05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow. That shocks me. He should have done it after RG, I think.

You watch though, he'll go and win it this year :lol:

Loremaster
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Roche was simply too slim to match Roger's box that why he fired him

ranaldo
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Roger needs to let go the Nadal obsession and work real hard. I admit I' not a big Roche fan as far as clay tactics is concerned but he did improve his net game a lot (AO 2007 was wonderful in that respect). He has only himself to blame if he can't hit a forehand cleanly off his racquet: I was surprised how people were happy about his performance vs Allegro: Fed had hit only 3 forehand winners ! That says a lot about his nonchalance on the practice courts.

Fedever
05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Roger's very best tennis came in late 2006 (from the US Open, when his backhand became REALLY effective, till the end of the year) and in AO 2007 (re-watch his SF against Roddick). He was really invincible and there was no weakness in his game at all... Roger's backhand nowadays (except his match against Volandri) is 100 times better than it was in 2004-2005 I think, maybe Roche helped him a lot with that shot... Because it was still a weakness in his game (2005 US Open, it was quite terrible) and he definitely improved it a lot.

I think his backhand improved because players hit to it so much for years now. He has had so much match play practice with it and I have seen it get better and better over time.

I am glad he has let Roche go. He needs to do something to get himself back together! Watching him self destruct as of late has been painful! I want him back!:worship:

Just Cause
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
his coach...I dont know about his girlfriend or if they are together. Probably something to do with is performance too.

http://tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=20075

nolop
05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
do you have something new to give us? :wavey:

Just Cause
05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
do you have something new to give us? :wavey:

Yes, Federer's gf is ready to dump him and is only there for is money?...lol...
At least that's what I think....

Black Adam
05-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Just a classic moment. Two of a kind having a go at each other for not being original :haha:

trixtah
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
hahah...it's as if he's talking to himself!

Black Adam
05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
hahah...it's as if he's talking to himself!
My thoughts too. If my suspicions over Just Cause/Nolop being one person are true, then it's might possible he is talking to himself. The times suggest that he had the time to log on and off both accounts and talk to himself.

nolop
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
enough with this :mad:, at least im kind a funny at times, just cause is :zzz:

Sunset of Age
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
AHHHHHH!!! It's BAAAACK!!!

Fee
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Just a classic moment. Two of a kind having a go at each other for not being original :haha:

Brought a tear to my eye, that's for sure. Kind of a Norman arguing with his mother type of thing.

Burrow
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM

:haha: you are so contradicting. Your a complte muppet, not had any of your bad rep gay messages for a while.

blessed
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I actually think it's a good time for it.

He's obviously in somewhat of a slump, he says he's been practicing a lot, obviously he needs to change SOMETHING - maybe going on his own right now would be good for him.

Tony was hired to help Roger win the French, he's also a leftie... well, that's obviously not helping Roger much, he needs something different, and I totally believe we'll see him coachless for a while now. At least till after the French, if not longer.

I think that what is going on with Federer is not something Roche can help him with. To me it seems more mental than anything else - confidence, focus etc. IF it is true [and I of course can't say that this is the case] that Federer is fixated on beating Nadal to the exclusion of all else, then Roche can't help him there - after all, the closest he came to beating him was at last year's Rome final - but he lost. That was all Federer [he choked] and nothing to do with Roche.

As to the timing - there's no good time to fire someone, but obviously Roche and he both felt that the natural end to all things had arrived for them. I can't believe there are hard feelings on either side - things just led up to this. Also, Federer is 25, turning 26 this year - he's also been without a coach before, and might feel that it time again. But as someone who understands about following job descriptions, if Roche was hired to help him win RG, then he has demonstrably failed - but is that totally Roche's fault? No probably 70/30, as it's the player who has to apply the teaching.

To be honest, there have been times when Roche has looked totally uninterested in what's going on on court when Federer is playing - so it must have come as something of a relief to be able to call it a day - he's elderly now too.
Ah well, only time will tell.

nobama
05-14-2007, 12:26 PM

It can only help.
As NYC pointed out Roger knows how to play on clay. Prior to the Volandri loss the only person he's lost to in the past two years was Nadal, whom everyone else is losing to as well. So I'm not sure why he needs a clay court coach. :shrug:

nobama
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Roche was simply too slim to match Roger's box that why he fired him
:yawn:

Langers
05-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Cry baby Roger. A few loses and it’s sack the coach time. :o

bokehlicious
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Old Roche was useless...

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Cry baby Roger. A few loses and it’s sack the coach time. :o

:wavey:
Yeah it`s very disappointing when coaches are used as scapegoats to a brief dip in form:sad:

Guess FED forgot that from Wimby 06-->AO 07 was the best tennis of his career..! Surely Roche didn`t do much wrong in that time!:confused:

Basically FED didn`t like Roche putting the hard word on him after his last couple of losses.. Very disrespectful & poor form to end a great working realationship on a sour note:eek: :sad: :o

bokehlicious
05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah it`s very disappointing when coaches are used as scapegoats to a brief dip in form:sad:

Guess FED forgot that from Wimby 06-->AO 07 was the best tennis of his career..! Surely Roche didn`t do much wrong in that time!:confused:

Basically FED didn`t like Roche putting the hard word on him after his last couple of losses.. Very disrespectful & poor form to end a great working realationship on a sour note:eek: :sad: :o

:zzz: :zzz: Aussie bitterness :lol: :p

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=JMPower;5351746]Old Roche was useless...[QUOTE]

:( :(
"Useless" Roche ~ are you referring to:

The Roche who won the FO
The Roche who won a dozen doubles Slams
The Roche who won Davis Cup as a player & coach
The Roche who coached Ivan Lendl to 8-Slams
The Roche who coached Pat Rafter to 2-USO titles
The Roche who coached Roger Federer to 6-Slams

:confused: :confused:
~~~
Have some respect wanker:p

bokehlicious
05-14-2007, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=JMPower;5351746]Old Roche was useless...[QUOTE]

:( :(
"Useless" Roche ~ are you referring to:

The Roche who won the FO
The Roche who won a dozen doubles Slams
The Roche who won Davis Cup as a player & coach
The Roche who coached Ivan Lendl to 8-Slams
The Roche who coached Pat Rafter to 2-USO titles
The Roche who coached Roger Federer to 6-Slams

:confused: :confused:
~~~
Have some respect wanker:p

He had a fair good career as a player, but being a coach is another story and he was rather useless to Roger, no need to ride your high horses dude :p :wavey:

yanchr
05-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Can't believe you would buy all the crap the crappy (always) media said...Fed is not a guy who will use anybody as a scapegoat to account for his recent losses. Neither do I believe it was an impulsive and un-well-thought-out decision.

And we will never know what was actually going on between them...surely wouldn't be like what the media told us... Just use your brain...or not

Yet whether it's a good decision or bad remains to be seen. But I tend to believe in Roger's minds.

CmonAussie
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=CmonAussie;5351798][QUOTE=JMPower;5351746]Old Roche was useless...

He had a fair good career as a player, but being a coach is another story and he was rather useless to Roger, no need to ride your high horses dude :p :wavey:

You`re the one on a `power trip` Sir/Madame.Power:p

How was he useless to Roger:confused:
Up to Dubai this year the 2.5-year FED/Roche union yielded:

6-Slams [+FO final]
8-AMS
1-TMC
25-titles
back-to-back #1 years
only 9-losses [180-wins+]

Fumus
05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
expected result

bokehlicious
05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
How was he useless to Roger:confused:
Up to Dubai this year the 2.5-year FED/Roche union yielded:

6-Slams [+FO final]
8-AMS
1-TMC
25-titles
back-to-back #1 years
only 9-losses [180-wins+]

He has proven to be successful without a coach. Roche came when Roger was already rulling the tennis world, not sure what he exactly added to Roger's game (Roger improved his BH obviously but any work on it would have made it too) :shrug:

Langers
05-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Tremendous post. :yeah:

cool bird1
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I really hope Roger has not made a mistake here. Cus I have to say I would of taken Roger to task over his last two losses two. That loss to Nadal in MC was so luck luster. And dont even get me started on Rome.

Roger needs to decide if he wants a coach or a bag carrier. I hope he gets a good couch like Darren Cahill and gets back on track.

dj_mercury
05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
No new coach for Roger for both rg and wimbledon, according to the swiss teletext.

Tom_Bombadil
05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
So we can finally say: 'no' optus.

Eden
05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Split from coach could "help Federer to focus"

http://www.swissinfo.org/xobix_media/images/keystone/2007/keyimg20070514_7817817_1.jpg
Sunnier times: Roger Federer and part-time coach Tony Roche have mutually agreed to end their collaboration (Keystone)

Roger Federer's recent announcement that he was splitting from part-time coach Tony Roche came as a bombshell to the world of tennis.

But René Stauffer, a sports journalist and author of "Quest for perfection: The Roger Federer Story", tells swissinfo why this decision might actually be a blessing in disguise for the world number one.

Federer, world number one since February 2004, published the news on his website on Saturday, saying he and Roche had mutually decided to end their arrangement.

The move leaves Federer without a coach two weeks before the French Open, the only Grand Slam tournament he hasn't won and a title he has described as his "main goal".

"I was pretty surprised – no one expected it – but when we try to find the reasons it's pretty obvious that there was a disturbance for Roger in this collaboration," explained Stauffer.

"Why that came no one knows – neither Federer nor Roche has spoken – but it's obvious that there was a problem and some people [within tennis] have told me that the decision was overdue."

Federer brought Roche aboard before the 2005 Australian Open, working with him in Sydney for two weeks. At the time Federer said: "I hope he can improve my game just a little bit. I like the way I'm playing right now. If he can improve just a few things in my game, that will be good."

On paper it was a fairly successful relationship, as during this period the Swiss star won six of his ten grand slam titles.

"If you look at Roger's game, it's obvious that he tried to come in [to net] more and he has improved his volleys – Roche himself was one of the finest volleyers ever. Roche is also a leftie [lefthander] which surely helped Roger understand the things that go on when you play a leftie – Nadal is a leftie," said Stauffer.

"But if you look at the big picture, you'd have to say that Roche failed to lead Roger to the French Open title, which was the main goal, the only big tournament that Roger hasn't won so far."

Beginning of the end?

Roche was with Federer last week at the Rome Masters, where he was upset in the third round by Filippo Volandri, ranked 53rd in the world. That loss meant Federer has played in four consecutive tournaments without winning a title, his longest such drought since he became number one.

"I don't know what's wrong. I have to analyse it myself," Federer said after the defeat in Rome.

But Stauffer feels that it is far too early to talk about the end of a Federer era.

"When Paris and Wimbledon are behind us then you would have to [look at the situation]. If he doesn't win one of them, then you could start to talk about a crisis and also worry about his number one position."

Liberation

Stauffer even believes the split could even have a liberating impact on Federer.

"It could be that he starts to feel free again and really focus on his tennis – in Rome he didn't seem at all focused on the tennis, it was obvious that something was disturbing him. So maybe that will help him. I think he's just anxious for Paris to begin," he said.

Roche, the 1966 French Open champion, is one of Australia's tennis greats who also has coached top-ranked players Ivan Lendl and Patrick Rafter.

Federer has worked off and on with coaches since his longtime coach Peter Carter died in a car crash in 2002. Federer was coached by Peter Lundgren in 2003, then didn't have a coach at all the next year, when he won 11 titles, including three grand slam events.

"I actually think that Roger was not completely happy with the part-time coaching situation [Roche would only work with Federer for a couple of weeks before major tournaments]. In my opinion he might go back to a full-time coach. I don't think he wants to travel alone again like he did in 2004," Stauffer said.

Source: http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/detail/Split_from_coach_could_help_Federer_to_focus.html? siteSect=105&sid=7818343&cKey=1179154390000

scoobs
05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Mark Petchey on Sky just now made a very interesting point - that the true test of the strength of a relationship, any relationship, is when the tough times come, how it endures and how both parties are able to work together.

This is the first time that the player-coach relationship has been under strain due to a poor run of form, and it hasn't passed that test - clearly Roger thinks that Tony is not what he needs right now when times are a little tougher.

A player-coach relationship is very delicate - as soon as one or the other has doubts, as soon as the confidence in the other is even slightly eroded, it can very quickly poison the whole show.

We will never know what went on behind closed doors but Roger felt it wasn't working anymore then it had to come to an end - and as soon as possible so he can get on with rebuilding confidence.

mallorn
05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Federer to go it alone at Roland Garros, Wimbledon

By Kevin Fylan

HAMBURG, Germany, May 14 (Reuters) - Roger Federer will play the French Open and Wimbledon without a coach after splitting with Tony Roche, the world number one said on Monday.

Federer, who had worked with the 61-year-old Australian on a part-time basis since 2005, blamed communication problems for the parting of ways, which he announced on Saturday after a run of four tournaments without a title.

"It wasn't an easy decision," Federer told reporters at the Hamburg Masters, where he is the top seed.

"He's helped me a lot but in the end he was a part-time coach. We were together only 15 weeks a year and I just thought the communication wasn't going very far any more."

Federer, who said he had been thinking about a change for some time, added that he had the experience to go into the next two grand slam tournaments without help.

"I'm not going to take a coach because I know what it takes to win," he said. "I don't want anyone interfering with my preparation."

Federer won six of his 10 grand slams while working with Roche, who had previously coached Ivan Lendl and Pat Rafter.

But the 25-year-old Federer has had success on his own, too. He won his first grand slam at Wimbledon in 2003 with Peter Lundgren but let the Swede go less than six months later. He then went on to lift three more majors in 2004 after opting to go it alone.

Federer, who has never won the French Open, needs to take the Roland Garros title to become only the third man after American Don Budge and Australian Rod Laver to hold all four majors at the same time.

Spain's Rafael Nadal, the second seed in Hamburg, has won the French Open for the last two years and is on a 77-match winning streak on clay, dating back to April 2005.

Federer and Nadal are among the top seeds with a first-round bye in Hamburg.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6631921,00.html

Strange choice of words, "interfering"...

Metis
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the article mallorn. From Roger's quoted answers I get the impression there was a serious disagreement between him and Roche about the way to achieve success in RG and clay in general. What's the point of having a coach you don't agree with in terms of what needs to be done?

jeevs
05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
"Maybe down the road I'm going to look again for someone who's going to be able to help me out for practicing," he said.
"It's something that's been inside myself for a few months," Federer said. "It was a decision that wasn't easy, of course, because we're good friends and get along very well and he's helped me a lot over the last couple of years.

"[But] in the end he was a part-time coach. We only were together for 15 weeks and distances were also not so easy ... I just thought the communication kind of changed and it was not going much further."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2869915

This article will give a clearer picture.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/coachless-federer-upbeat-ahead-of-bid-for-tennis-grand-slam-sweep/20074915-cqp.html

World number one Roger Federer confirmed Monday that he would be bidding to complete his Grand Slam collection without a coach after blaming "lack of communication" for his surprise split with Tony Roche at the weekend.

The decision to part company with Roche comes just two weeks before the French Open where Federer could become the first man to hold all four Grand Slam titles simultaneously since the great Australian Rod Laver 38 years ago.

Federer will also attempt to defend his Wimbledon title without a coach, as the 25-year-old Swiss player explained that he had seen the end of his professional relationship with the Australian coming for some time.

"I was sad, and he looked surprised," said Federer. "I would have been disappointed if he had said 'that's great'. So that was a good sign in a bad sort of way.

"But it was good for me to talk to him and tell him face to face. I didn't really do that with (Peter) Lundgren (his previous coach) because I told him on the phone though later we met so that was OK.

"It was emotional. And he took it like a man. We are both old enough, and he has 40 or 50 years in tennis, to know it's not the end of the world. And he knows it's my decision and he supports that decision."

Asked to explain the lack of communication which he had cited as the reason for the split, Federer said: "It sounds simple but you get into a routine and we started never having much contact and it was never like that at the start.

"Maybe always after two and a half years you think this relationship needs more, and then it's too late to change it."

This contradicts the suggestion that Federer's failure to win any of his last four tournaments was a main cause of the separation. However this disappointing spell, Federer's worst in the 171 weeks since he became number one, almost certainly gave him a appropriate moment to break the news to Roche.

"It meant that I had more time off and maybe it also gave me time to think, because before I kept on playing and kept on winning," explained Federer.

"That happening shows more that I am a human being: the last three and half years have been incredible. I have been trying to keep it up, but it is not easy, and I knew that and I always knew that eventually I would lose a couple of matches here or there.

"But I was happy with the way I played in Monaco. I was not happy with last week (Rome, where he lost to world number 53, Filippo Volandri). It's basically one (bad) tournament because in Indian Wells I had a bit of a blister and in Miami I think I played well.

"So nothing really happened from point of view. It looks like a long slump because Indian Wells and Miami were a long time ago. That's more the situation I am in."

Federer will start to try to prove the truth of this when he takes on Juan Monaco, a qualifier from Argentina in the second round of the Hamburg Masters either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.

Asked if his next coach would have to travel more, Federer half agreed.

"Maybe," he said. "I have not thought about a replacement because I am not that kind of person to go from one to the next.

"I try my best till the end and then I go from there. And that's what I am doing here. So I will not take a coach for the French Open and Wimbledon."

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the articles, dear people. Indeed, reveal a lot.

I think both Rogi and Tony need some good :hug: :hug: :hug:

Beforehand
05-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Awww.

Roger broke that poor old man's heart.

rofe
05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks. That definitely provides information about the split.

This article will give a clearer picture.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/coachless-federer-upbeat-ahead-of-bid-for-tennis-grand-slam-sweep/20074915-cqp.html

World number one Roger Federer confirmed Monday that he would be bidding to complete his Grand Slam collection without a coach after blaming "lack of communication" for his surprise split with Tony Roche at the weekend.

The decision to part company with Roche comes just two weeks before the French Open where Federer could become the first man to hold all four Grand Slam titles simultaneously since the great Australian Rod Laver 38 years ago.

Federer will also attempt to defend his Wimbledon title without a coach, as the 25-year-old Swiss player explained that he had seen the end of his professional relationship with the Australian coming for some time.

"I was sad, and he looked surprised," said Federer. "I would have been disappointed if he had said 'that's great'. So that was a good sign in a bad sort of way.

"But it was good for me to talk to him and tell him face to face. I didn't really do that with (Peter) Lundgren (his previous coach) because I told him on the phone though later we met so that was OK.

"It was emotional. And he took it like a man. We are both old enough, and he has 40 or 50 years in tennis, to know it's not the end of the world. And he knows it's my decision and he supports that decision."

Asked to explain the lack of communication which he had cited as the reason for the split, Federer said: "It sounds simple but you get into a routine and we started never having much contact and it was never like that at the start.

"Maybe always after two and a half years you think this relationship needs more, and then it's too late to change it."

This contradicts the suggestion that Federer's failure to win any of his last four tournaments was a main cause of the separation. However this disappointing spell, Federer's worst in the 171 weeks since he became number one, almost certainly gave him a appropriate moment to break the news to Roche.

"It meant that I had more time off and maybe it also gave me time to think, because before I kept on playing and kept on winning," explained Federer.

"That happening shows more that I am a human being: the last three and half years have been incredible. I have been trying to keep it up, but it is not easy, and I knew that and I always knew that eventually I would lose a couple of matches here or there.

"But I was happy with the way I played in Monaco. I was not happy with last week (Rome, where he lost to world number 53, Filippo Volandri). It's basically one (bad) tournament because in Indian Wells I had a bit of a blister and in Miami I think I played well.

"So nothing really happened from point of view. It looks like a long slump because Indian Wells and Miami were a long time ago. That's more the situation I am in."

Federer will start to try to prove the truth of this when he takes on Juan Monaco, a qualifier from Argentina in the second round of the Hamburg Masters either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday.

Asked if his next coach would have to travel more, Federer half agreed.

"Maybe," he said. "I have not thought about a replacement because I am not that kind of person to go from one to the next.

"I try my best till the end and then I go from there. And that's what I am doing here. So I will not take a coach for the French Open and Wimbledon."

Or Levy
05-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounded like a sad goodbye.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Sounded like a sad goodbye.

My thought exactly. Alas, sometimes good friendships/working relations have to end like that.

I wish them BOTH all the best.

Allez
05-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Awww. That is a very sad story right there. Roger did break the old man's heart. Poor Roche. I had hoped that this split was something Tony had been expecting for a long time. To fire him just like that before the French is a bit sad. Now Roche has to change his plans and head back to Oz. :hug:

sawan66278
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
It's basically one (bad) tournament because in Indian Wells I had a bit of a blister .

So sad...typical Roger...talking about taking things like a man, but coming up with excuses like a child.

Sunset of Age
05-14-2007, 09:19 PM

So sad...typical Roger...talking about taking things like a man, but coming up with excuses like a child.

What nonsense.
If other players are allowed to complain about fatigue, 'pain in famous ass' and the like, it's completely acceptable for Rogi to complain about having a blister.

Ever tried to walk some 15 km with one of those on your footsoles?
Pretty nasty, I ensure you.

No insult or whatsoever meant, but let's just stay reasonable, okay?

sykotique
05-14-2007, 09:30 PM

I think your comment is rather childish.

Eden
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Awww. That is a very sad story right there. Roger did break the old man's heart. Poor Roche. I had hoped that this split was something Tony had been expecting for a long time. To fire him just like that before the French is a bit sad. Now Roche has to change his plans and head back to Oz. :hug:

Don't be so dramatically ;) Tony didn't worked for free for Roger. He surely received a very nice cheque for his work.
That both worked with each other lately without any official contract - remember that both mentioned they had extended their partnership via handshake - tells something about the trust they had in each other.

I always had the impression that Roger has shown consideration for Tonys necessities. Roche didn't wanted to be a fulltime coach for Roger and everything went well the last years. For this season it was already announced that Tony wouldn't accompany Roger to the grass tournaments as Roche didn't wanted to be away from his family for a long time.

Time will tell whether Roger made a mistake to end the partnership with Tony, but he is the one who stands on the court and has to play. It doesn't take anything away from Tony when Roger decides now that he wants to try something different. Both have achieved together nearly everything what you can achieve on the tenniscourt.

gogogirl
05-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey All,

My - my and well - well. Like Roger was quoted stating - it is not the end of the world. To be honest - I think some fans and those in the media were glad when Roger hooked up w/a coach @ the AO 2005. Some were wondering how he was able to win so much w/o a full time coach. Then when he hired Mr. Roche - some felt - whew - now he will continue to grow and improve, and he did. Yet - none of us know if Roger would have won the six slams w/o his coach or not - because he was just that good and consistent. Well - he hasn't been so consistent the last few tourneys - and it is no wonder one will look to the coach to ponder as to some reasons why not - because the coach is the only one that is giving constant input into one's ears and game - concerning strategy, strengths and weaknesses.

I don't blame Mr. Roche for Roger's floundering here lately. Roger is the one that needs to execute. Yet if something has been making him uptight - then there has to be a solution to that turmoil. May haps - his coach and what to do about him was what was keeping him off of even keel. There is absolutely nothing wrong w/any player analyzing what is working and what is not - and if one thinks that it's the coaching situation that's not working and because of it - one's focus and concentration goes off - then by golly - that situation needs to be straightened out.

I think Roger will be fine. He has most likely had a weight lifted off his shoulders concerning this resolution - so now he can concentrate on commencing to execute the way he knows and Mr. Roche knows he can.

Again - the coach was not the reason for Roger's losses. It was because of Roger's not executing what he knew, his opponent's play and/or a combination of things - to include the heavy weight that he was lugging around - in my estimation - that tis.

SBruguera
05-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Apr-22-2007 Kobulingam starts this thread: Should Federer Fire Tony Roche?
May-12-2007: Federer Fires Tony Roche.

Kobulingam´s psychic powers :worship: :worship:
You´re a true tennis foreseer. Why do you have so little vcash? I can´t understand it.

Ays25
05-15-2007, 12:46 AM
poor roger
he doesnt knows what to do

Langers
05-15-2007, 03:14 AM

Agreed. I'm willing to bet pretty much everyone has played with blisters from time to time, and they don’t sook to the press about it.

soraya
05-15-2007, 03:55 AM

I guess it is a case of "lost in translation" I personally understood that at this moment, he does not want someone new with different ideas and techniques.

soraya
05-15-2007, 04:03 AM
What nonsense.
If other players are allowed to complain about fatigue, 'pain in famous ass' and the like, it's completely acceptable for Rogi to complain about having a blister.

Ever tried to walk some 15 km with one of those on your footsoles?
Pretty nasty, I ensure you.

No insult or whatsoever meant, but let's just stay reasonable, okay?

Must spread reputation before giving it to you...Always impartial, always reasonable:worship: :worship:

Veronique
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I won't 2nd guess Roger. He's been wise in terms of choosing coaches and timing to part with them. Tony's a good man, but if Roger felt there was nothing more he could add to his game, you've gotta respect his decision. After all, this is a guy who has won GSs without a coach. I remember Wimby04 final when Andy had the upper hand until rain came. I thought for sure that Roger's decision to play without a coach would cost him dearly. But we all know how he turned things around to beat a coached player.

I wonder though what kind of coach does he go for next? Wilander has been too critical of him. McEnroe is a lefty and had some success serving&volleying on clay. Or is he going to bring Lendl back to tennis? Perhaps Cahill? At least he'll travel with him all year long. Can't wait to see which direction he takes.

Puschkin
05-15-2007, 12:00 PM
A player-coach relationship is very delicate.

exactly - and personal. That's why I think that neither journalists nor the hobby-psychologists on MTF will ever grasp what really happened.

sawan66278
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
No one is doubting that blisters ARE painful. The point is: if you walk on the court, as the Aussie legends claim, you ARE NOT INJURED. Injuries, from that point forward, are not mentioned to the press.

Roger, rather than accept defeat gracefully, again has to explain that his initial loss was NOT because of Canas, but was actually because of the blisters. What disrespect to Canas. And please, don't tell me Canas does not deserve respect because of his suspension.

Roger simply cannot accept that he lost two times in a row to a player of Canas' skill or ranking. So what does he do? He cries the injury blues.

It appears he has been reading from the WTA tour book on sportsmanship.

CmonAussie
05-15-2007, 02:01 PM
No one is doubting that blisters ARE painful. The point is: if you walk on the court, as the Aussie legends claim, you ARE NOT INJURED. Injuries, from that point forward, are not mentioned to the press.
Roger, rather than accept defeat gracefully, again has to explain that his initial loss was NOT because of Canas, but was actually because of the blisters. What disrespect to Canas. And please, don't tell me Canas does not deserve respect because of his suspension.

Roger simply cannot accept that he lost two times in a row to a player of Canas' skill or ranking. So what does he do? He cries the injury blues.

Are you referring to John Newcombe:cool: ??
... He was one tough gladiator once he stepped on the court:worship:
>>>
I was lucky enough to meet him in person last year:)
Yeah Newcombe would never allow "blisters" as an excuse for losing a match;)

Forehander
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM
He did have blisters that caused him to lost the match. Reasonable excuse.

soonha
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM

C'mon. Roger said clearly at the presser after the Canas match that blister or any other injury was not the cause of his loss. He fully gave a credit to Canas then, by saying "a right guy won" something like that. As for the suspension issue of Canas, he just answered to the reporter's question and showed his general opinion on guys who had been suspended before by doping, not exactly on Canas.

This time, he was just explaining the situation and his thought about his form in his lost matches, not making excuses. You know that explaining and making excuses are different.

Sunset of Age
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
C'mon. Roger said clearly at the presser after the Canas match that blister or any other injury was not the cause of his loss. He fully gave a credit to Canas then, by saying "a right guy won" something like that. As for the suspension issue of Canas, he just answered to the reporter's question and showed his general opinion on guys who had been suspended before by doping, not exactly on Canas.

This time, he was just explaining the situation and his thought about his form in his lost matches, not making excuses. You know that explaining and making excuses are different.

Exactly.

It always saddens me to see some people accept any an excuse from the one player, while immediately starting to sling mud at another when that player does the same thing. I guess it's one of the symptoms of the disease called 'tardism'. :rolleyes:

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Got the feeling that FED`s seriously having some personal issues with Mirka;><:

*Do people really expect that FED & Mirka are going to get married & live happily ever after???

He`s never had any other girlfriend except Mirka & now he`s probably realising that the longer it goes the harder it`s going to be to end!!

>>>
Roche & FED were obviously having communication problems, but the real worry concerning Roger is surely Mirka!
So FED might have been in a dilemma~~ he chose the easier option [sacking Roche instead of breaking up with Mirka]!!

Kolya
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM

*Do people really expect that FED & Mirka are going to get married & live happily ever after???

He`s never had any other girlfriend except Mirka & now he`s probably realising that the longer it goes the harder it`s going to be to end!!

>>>
Roche & FED were obviously having communication problems, but the real worry concerning Roger is surely Mirka!
So FED might have been in a dilemma~~ he chose the easier option [sacking Roche instead of breaking up with Mirka]!!

So you're saying Federer wants to see new women? :p

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
So you're saying Federer wants to see new women? :p

;) That`s right!!
Lets face it,~ how many people end up married to their 1st lover:confused:
>>>
FED`s never tried anyone but Mirka [very admirable of him:angel: ], but sooner or later he`s going to start thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the hill:devil:
Mirka`s very nice & she`s undoubtedly helped FED a lot;)
However FED`s feeling frustrated:sad:
-> Rogi wants to taste the forbidden fruit:devil:
-> Especially spending so much time with Tiger Woods, who`s got an incredibly hot wife:eek: , surely it`s got FED thinking....

Anyway you heard it here 1st; FED & Mirka`s 7-year relationship won`t last until the end of this year:sad:

Forehander
05-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Martina Hingis use to watch Federer's tennis matches but then after a while she stopped (and that was in her retiring period before her going back onto the WTA circuit!). I think she asked Roger out but got rejected so went pissed off and went to Radek Stepanek instead to show Roger what she's truly capable of.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Martina Hingis use to watch Federer's tennis matches but then after a while she stopped (and that was in her retiring period before her going back onto the WTA circuit!). I think she asked Roger out but got rejected so went pissed off and went to Radek Stepanek instead to show Roger what she's truly capable of.

:cool:
That`s fricken hilarious:D :devil:

guillermo
05-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Guys, I really would like to know how the hell you know Mirka is Federer´s first girlfriend? He said that in an interview?
You are just assuming. I never believe that. I bet he had 1000´s of other´s before Mirka.

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Guys, I really would like to know how the hell you know Mirka is Federer´s first girlfriend? He said that in an interview?
You are just assuming. I never believe that. I bet he had 1000´s of other´s before Mirka.

Fed`s mother mentioned that Mirka was his 1st serious girlfriend;)

Well they`ve been together since the Sydney Olympics 2000, at which time FED had just turned 19yrs...
>> So I doubt he had time to have "1000`s of other`s before Mirka";)

Skyward
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM

>>>

Are you bored? :rolleyes: Get laid ASAP. :wavey:

CmonAussie
05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Are you bored? :rolleyes: Get laid ASAP. :wavey:

Yes you`re right;)
I have to wait until the weekend until I can get it out of my system:devil:

jeevs
05-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Federer explains his separation from Roche

At a press conference in Hamburg, Roger Federer explained why he severed his relationship with coach Tony Roche. He said, "It shows I’m a human being, you know. I think the last three and a half years have been incredible. I’ve been trying to keep it up but it’s not easy. I always knew that and I knew eventually I was going to lose a couple of matches here or there.

"But in Monaco I reached the finals. I’m very happy the way I played there from the quarters on. Last week was obviously disappointing. I wasn’t happy with my performance. It’s basically one tournament, because at Indian Wells I had a bit of a blister and then in Miami I think I played well but ended up losing. So nothing really happened in my point of view.

"The decision isn’t coming just because I lost to Volandri. That is not a problem for me. It’s something that’s been inside myself for a few months.

"Changing the coaching situation is always something I always take very seriously and I think about it for a long time. I just didn’t feel the communication was the same way anymore, like it used to be in the beginning, and it goes back to a similar situation I had with Peter Lundgren when all of a sudden in the end I felt like everything was said and done.

"With Peter I thought maybe we should have stopped a year or a year and a half earlier, and I couldn’t see the same thing happening again with Tony Roche where we would just go on with things and be happy the way things are.

"We started to not have much contact when he would be in Australia and I was on tour. That was never like this at the start. It’s not like I expected him to call me or he expected me to call him. Maybe after two and a half years together the relationships needs more and you can’t change it anymore because it’s too late

"I haven’t thought about who’s going to be the replacement at all because I’m not the kind of person who’s going to go from one to the next. I had the same situation with Lundgren and kind of looked for a coach a year ahead because I wasn’t happy in the end.
"I’m definitely not going to take a coach for the French Open and Wimbledon because I know what it takes and I don’t want anybody interfering with my preparation and with my tournaments. So I think it’s going to be okay for the next few months. Maybe down the road I’m going to look again for someone who’s going to be able to help me out for practicing.

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=20165

Forehander
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
exactly what i thought. He has learnt everything there is to learn from Roche. When an old man have now become useless, just a waste of money and is just a distant part-time coach, of course there's no communication when there's no more to learn. Good choice made there Roger! =)