05-12-2007, 05:27 PM
nadal is toast for tomorrow.

LilyRoseAva
respect, davydenko congrats

CyBorg
Super, super match. Classic.

(Federer picked a bad time to miss the final, btw)

mdjenders
That was the match of the year so far between the best two clay courters in the world at the moment. Great fighters! A 5 set rematch in RG would be superb.

Ivanatis
great fight Kolya:worship:

neme6
05-12-2007, 05:28 PM
great fight from Kolya, but I agree that in the end the edge was on Nadal's side.

ishiphonehome
don't care what anyone says but davvydenko was bloody aswosome and properbly the first the to challenge him on clay! well done and bad luck!

NYCtennisfan
Slight chance for Davy at 2-1, 0-30 up, but you knew Nadal wasn't going to lose.

Almost 4 hours for a three set match. Up until today, Nadal had been playing a lot faster in between points.

guga2120
Damn that was close, Rafa's serve, wtf? Daveydenko played very good though.

connectolove
phew nothing, this was really an amazing match. kudos to Davy for being such a great fighter but the best won.

Frooty_Bazooty
Nikolai was amazing :eek:, im so happy for him to be back in such good form

ChinoRios4Ever
my respect for Kolya... he's a real top 10 :yeah: (see you haters?)

rafa no more words for this... no chance for Gonzo tomorrow

TheBoiledEgg
Kolya had his chance..... and let it slip.

got one thing right:
"Kolya will make Piggy run like he never has before"

what a match :bolt:

now c'mon Gonzo !!!!!!!!!!

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 05:29 PM
The triumph of mediocrity and sheer cowardice. Gonzo will do the work tomorrow.

disturb3d
Good matchup of styles.
Davydenko should be the favorite on faster surfaces. Too bad he wasn't able to put Nadal away in Shanghai.

Billabong
If you want to beat Nadal, you have to do it in straight sets. When it gets tight in a final set, Nadal never loses those. Has he ever lost a really tight match (apart from 2005 Miami)?

rafa_maniac
God. I was thinking to myself that I really wanted to see Rafa pushed on clay this year, so he doesn't get complacent and such... but that was heart-attack inducing, damn you Rafa! Oh well, we got there in the end, but yeah, I don't want to have to go through that again for a while...

shotgun
I have been very critical of Davydenko in the past but today I have to take my hat off for him. If only he hadn't frozen in that first set tie-break, he would have won this match in straights.

Pfloyd
There are many assholes in the forum no doubt.

This match deserves respect.

THAT is how you fight like a champion. Well done Nadal, amazing effort Davydenko. That is why I am a Nadal fan.

For once in your lives give credit where credit is due.

mangoes
Congratulations Nadal.........not often do I say this about one of his clay matches.

Davydenko, I shall defend you if anyone questions your right to be in the top 10. Incredible match. You should have won that 1st set :( In the 3rd, you should have broken Nadal at 2-1 ......took your foot off the pedal and Nadal gained some confidance.

jazar
bad luck to kolya. he's put his recent form behind him and played a blinder and tired nadal out for fena :devil:

Regenbogen
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Exciting match :D Glad Nadal managed to pull it out in the end.

Deea
wow so much closer than most of us would have expected :eek: Anyhow well done Nadal! It wouldn't be fun if he would win all his matches too easily. :p Great fightinig from Davydenko...never thought he had it in him to challenge Nadal like this. Vamos Rafa in the final :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

Nacho
as a fan, I'm glad Rafa won, but after this match I've become a Kolya fan too :)

what a match it was, Kolya has proved why he is ranked so high. He is still lacking a big title, but sooner or later he'll get it

good luck to Rafa tomorrow, hope he recovers!

tcorinna
Great Match :) Davydenko was just great :worship: ... :worship: :worship:

justClaudia
great match, and a very good fight from Kolya. Congrats to Rafael though. :yeah:

martine2
Such a THRILLER!!!!!!!

I'm so happy Nadal won but CONGRATS to Davydenko too :worship: :worship: , what a match from both players!!!!!!!!!!

Rafa :woohoo: :woohoo:
Kolya :worship: :worship: :hug:

Sunset of Age
THRILLING MATCH!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

I was pretty sure Raf would pull it off in the end, and so he did - oh boy, how happy he was with this victory! :hatoff:

KUDO's to Kolya for playing such an excellent match! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Must've been the match of his life so far. Who would've thought it would be him to show the world that Raf isn't completely untouchable on clay?
I surely didn't.

ReturnWinner
nice match, best of the year, credit to both players for this high,intensive, quality match, Nadal showed he is the strongest of mind player

final stats of the match: Davydenko:36 winners and 53 ues, Nadal:34 winners , 41 ues

deceiving stat, considering the intensity of whole match, plenty of long rallies, many of them were forced errors.

Pixie
what a match. The best I've seen on clay for a while. Kudos to both players who were heroics. And Nadal still able to give more lenght and weight on his shots when needed in the end. Unreal.

Hard Hitter
I was so nervous watching the live scoreboard. Vamos Rafa! Next up: Gonzo:cool:

tennisluckyfree
OMG!!!!! the stupid StarSports isn't showing this live........

LinkMage
05-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Good match! Sadly Davydonkey couldn't beat the machine at the end. It's incredible how much Nadal was running after 3.30 hours.

People will say Gonzo will beat Nadal tomorrow because he's exhausted. I don't know about that. Federer last year had very long matches in the QF and semis against Almagro and Nalbandian, and everyone thought Nadal would crush Federer. But Federer almost won and could compete for more than 4 hours. So Nadal has lots of chances to defend his title, even more because it's best of 3 tomorrow.

A_Skywalker
What a match, what a match :worship: This was the best match I watched this year, Davydenko was on fire. He played so good, but Nadal prevailed again, his mind power is just :worship:

NYCtennisfan
There are many assholes in the forum no doubt.

This match deserves respect.

THAT is how you fight like a champion. Well done Nadal, amazing effort Davydenko. That is why I am a Nadal fan.

For once in your lives give credit where credit is due.

:confused:

thunder2006
Can someone post the winner to error counts for both players???? binwin tv cut off the video before it was posted!!!

RickDaStick
05-12-2007, 05:32 PM
The only thing that made this match interesting was all the chokes. Nadal serving to stay in the 1st lead 40-0 then Davy had a BP. In the 2nd Nadal served for match and of course choked then in the Tiebreaker it took Davy i believe 7 set points to take it.

Pfloyd

Im reffering to a specific few (the tards), read the first few posts and you will see...

Too many people are posting at the same time, thus my post got misplaced. Anyway, you are not one of them at all.

Amazing match huh?

martine2
as a fan, I'm glad Rafa won, but after this match I've become a Kolya fan too :)

what a match it was, Kolya has proved why he is ranked so high. He is still lacking a big title, but sooner or later he'll get it

good luck to Rafa tomorrow, hope he recovers!

He proved he deserves it indeed!

Metis
Davydenko! What a performance! :eek: :hatoff:

Rafa was so relieved in the end. He looked as if he had won the final. :lol: He sat in his chair and it seemed to me that he was crying :hug:. His parents looked as if they lost 10 years of their life watching that match :lol:.

Hopefully, he has something left int he tank for tomorrow :unsure:. Thank God it's not best of 5. In any case Gonzo must be very happy right now.

RonE

He was referring to himself ;)

my0118
05-12-2007, 05:33 PM
It should've been the final.
I really respect davydenko. he really deserves where he is now.
congrats Nadal, and now take the title!!

Kitty de Sade
05-12-2007, 05:33 PM
What a burner- Kolya deserves a bunch of respect, no matter the result. Great job! :hatoff:

Rafa has so much fight in him...amazing. :)

tangerine_dream
05-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Awesome fighting, Rafa :worship: Davydenko was just delaying the inevitable. :dance:

Vamos great Rome final, Rafa vs Gonzo, tennis is the winner. :rocker2: I'm looking forward to it. Should be some great clay tennis on display. :D

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 05:35 PM
He was referring to himself ;)

I guess your not very good at reading....

Poor you :sad:

thunder2006
can someone post the winners to error ratios for both players please and thanks!

mallorn
What an absolute thriller. It was one of those days for Rafa. Way too many UEs, way too defensive play, and Davydenko threw everything and the kitchen sink at him. After Rafa totally blew it when serving for the match at 5-3 in the second, he really had to grind it out in the third. It's his sheer tenacity that got him through this one, because his game was off.

I don't know about tomorrow, he could be exhausted and Gonzo had a walk in the park today. Then again, in 2005 Rafa said that he was exhausted on the morning of the final and then went on to win it in a five-hour five-setter. :shrug: It'll depend on whether Rafa can play aggressively again, if he can find his forehand tomorrow, or if he plays fifty meters behind the baseline. Anyway, Gonzo should certainly feel upbeat about his chances.

Nacho
05-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know how but it seems Rome always produces the match of the year :lol:

Xristos
UN BEEEEEE LIIIIII VAAAA BBBBBBUUUUU!!

WHAT A MATCH!

Classic! Congrats to both.

Johnny Groove
Firstly, I must apologize to Kolya for my constant scrubbings off against him. He is no doubt a top 5 player, and played crazy good today :yeah:

As for Nadal, well, fucking incredible fight from the Spartan, although too many chokes for my well-being. :o

Im pretty concerned about the final, with Fena playing incredibly and Nadal coming off a 4 hr. battle here :scared:

ReturnWinner
05-12-2007, 05:37 PM
winners: davy 36 rafa:34
ues: davy 53, rafa:41
can someone post the winners to error ratios for both players please and thanks!

RickDaStick
Lets not forget the 34 breaks of serve

NYCtennisfan
What an absolute thriller. It was one of those days for Rafa. Way too many UEs, way too defensive play, and Davydenko threw everything and the kitchen sink at him. After Rafa totally blew it when serving for the match at 5-3 in the second, he really had to grind it out in the third. It's his sheer tenacity that got him through this one, because his game was off.

I don't know about tomorrow, he could be exhausted and Gonzo had a walk in the park today. Then again, in 2005 Rafa said that he was exhausted on the morning of the final and then went on to win it in a five-hour five-setter. :shrug: It'll depend on whether Rafa can play aggressively again, if he can find his forehand tomorrow, or if he plays fifty meters behind the baseline. Anyway, Gonzo should certainly feel upbeat about his chances.

Nadal almost always says he is tired yet when the time of the match comes, he looks like he is ready to play 10 sets.

7-5, 6-2 to Nadal tommorrow.

krystlel
What a match and what an amazing performance from Davydenko. :yeah: He never really dropped his standard the entire match and was able to play well even in the big points.

gusman890

Rome had once been on top of europe all those years ago, its only fitting they get some of the best tennis.

ReturnWinner
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah i think Nadal was crying, one of his most emotional matches for sure
Davydenko! What a performance! :eek: :hatoff:

Rafa was so relieved in the end. He looked as if he had won the final. :lol: He sat in his chair and it seemed to me that he was crying :hug:. His parents looked as if they lost 10 years of their life watching that match :lol:.

Hopefully, he has something left int he tank for tomorrow :unsure:. Thank God it's not best of 5. In any case Gonzo must be very happy right now.

GlennMirnyi
Now suddenly Kolya is a good player... :rolleyes:

RonE
It is interesting how in this match being pushed on the back foot more often than in any match so far in this clay season Rafa reverted to a more passive style of play which got him into a few deep holes.

We see him do this a lot on faster surfaces when his opponent starts to hit deep penetrating shots but in the real crunch must win points Nadal was very ferocious when he needed to be.

The difference of course facing this style of play on a clay court gives him the advantage of playing those safer points and keeping his opponent in a neutral position more often than not whereas on a faster surface that kind of strategy does not always cut the mustard.

Kalliopeia
In the end you just knew it could not go any other way :zzz:

Maybe you didn't. My nerves are shot all to hell.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph, what a match. :hatoff: to Davydenko, for sure, he did everything he needed to do. Just wasn't enough in the end.

But Rafa found a way to win. It says a lot about him, I think, that he got pressed so hard and still dug his way out even when he wasn't playing as well as he is capable of playing. Loved the reaction at the end.

If Gonzo plays like he did today, and Rafa plays like he did, I have serious doubts about Rafa winning. Now please, please please Rafa. Get plenty of rest. And do something about that second serve tomorrow!

tennisluckyfree
Can someone upload this match, plzzzz?? :worship:

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Who ever said he was bad?

GlennMirnyi
Nadal almost always says he is tired yet when the time of the match comes, he looks like he is ready to play 10 sets.

It's the juice.

Xristos

Agree 100%

mallorn

I'll take that. :lol:

NYCtennisfan

Exactly...a few weeks from now or one week from now, everyone will go back to calling him a donkey, choker, loser, worst top 5 player, etc.

FluffyYellowBall
05-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I think everyone expected nadal to pull it off at the end...2nd set tb was a thriller with all the break which werent all chokes as some say:rolleyes:

RonE

I guess you are not very good at detecting sarcasm ;)

GlennMirnyi

Your fanboy-mate, Blaze, used to call Kolya all kinds of things and now is saying he's good. He's always been good.

Scotso
good fight from Nikolay :worship:

but Nadal is just too good :yeah:

Alexandy
I am heartbroken. :sad: This is why Kolya doesn't win against the players in the top 10. He has the match in his control and he gets tight and makes errors. Just like AO against Fed and against Rafa and Blake in Shanghai last year. He should have won all of those matches but he got tight and lost.

Anyway, amazing play by Davydenko. Way to fight!! I know a lot of people think he's boring but I think his game is wonderful. Kolya could win a slam.

Congrats to Rafa. :worship: His fighting spirit is what won the match for him. He wasn't playing well at all but he kept fighting. This is the way you win even if you're not playing your best. Let's win tomorrow, Rafa!!!! :yeah:

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Federer vs Gonzalez = best match of the year so far.

ReturnWinner
true, plus he is the strongest of mind player

remember Rome 2005, he was supposedly tired for the final, and yet he won that epic marathon match which lasted more than 5 hours

the same happened againt Federer in Rome last year

TheBoiledEgg

most of the Ljubishits :o

A_Skywalker
It's the juice.

you are juiced with something that doesnt let you to think :rolleyes:

FluffyYellowBall
Your fanboy-mate, Blaze, used to call Kolya all kinds of things and now is saying he's good. He's always been good.

Yes he sometimes plays textbook tennis...sometimes

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Koyla's always been quiet, but I agree, he is a good, complete player.

rafa_maniac
It does highlight the gap that exists though when sub-par Rafa prevails aganst the world #4 playing the match of his life. Clay is such a mental game though...

Johnny Groove

Yes I did, I always thought he was a clown. But you dont get Nadal this close to a loss on clay if you're a clown

TheBoiledEgg
05-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Whats that got to do with the price of fish :confused: :confused:

Kalliopeia
I think everyone expected nadal to pull it off at the end...2nd set tb was a thriller with all the break which werent all chokes as some say:rolleyes:

Man, I wasn't so sure. My nerves were so shot after that second set I actually had to leave and go get my mom's Mother's Day present, just for a break. :lol: I got back when Rafa was 5-4 15-15. Perfect timing. :lol:

I'm nervous about tomorrow now though.

jayjay

Nadal's pretty good too, how long will it be before you recognise that? :)

GlennMirnyi
you are juiced with something that doesnt let you to think :rolleyes:

The worst blind is the one who doesn't wanna see.

Yes he sometimes plays textbook tennis...sometimes

The guy has SFs of 3 GS. Sorry, but that's not "sometimes".

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Koyla's always been quiet, but I agree, he is a good, complete player.

Yes I did, I always thought he was a clown. But you dont get Nadal this close to a loss on clay if you're a clown

Typical fanboyish behaviour. Just because he took Nadal far he's now suddenly good for you. :rolleyes:

Nadal's a moonballer.

Kalliopeia
05-12-2007, 05:44 PM

When Paris Hilton enters a nunnery, I expect.

shotgun
05-12-2007, 05:45 PM
For Davydenko, this match ranks right up there with the one against Federer at the AO last year, and the one when he thrashed Hrbaty in the Paris TMS final.

ReturnWinner
hey , do not be sad ,he just lost to a beast as much physic as mentally
one of the best claycourter in the history

I rate this loss way higher than for example the master won by Robredo in Hamburg :)
I am heartbroken. :sad: This is why Kolya doesn't win against the players in the top 10. He has the match in his control and he gets tight and makes errors. Just like AO against Fed and against Rafa and Blake in Shanghai last year. He should have won all of those matches but he got tight and lost.

Anyway, amazing play by Davydenko. Way to fight!! I know a lot of people think he's boring but I think his game is wonderful. Kolya could win a slam.

Congrats to Rafa. :worship: His fighting spirit is what won the match for him. He wasn't playing well at all but he kept fighting. This is the way you win even if you're not playing your best. Let's win tomorrow, Rafa!!!! :yeah:

mangoes

Right..........I think at this point, one shouldn't even raise this as a concern. Nadal will be fresh as a daisy as several past experiences have demonstrated.

I think most non Nadal fans have been very complimentary toward Nadal today, so I don't see why you're so upset:shrug:

Beforehand
Some notes...

First things first.

Nikolay,

I'm officially sorry for anything bad I've ever said about you, and you can stay exactly where you are in the rankings. You're still never going to be my favorite, but my God. I never thought I'd be cheering for you, let alone actually wanting it. :hug:s abound like never before.

OK. Now.

1. I've never seen anyone strike the ball against Nadal on clay as well and as cleanly as Davydenko did today. While Nadal hit a good deal more errors than "normal", I don't know if I buy into the fact that Nadal wasn't playing that well. I think this was definitely a case of Davydenko just taking it to him, and taking it to him hard.

2. Rafael Nadal may just take this clay streak with him to Hell. (He's only going there because I'm a Fed fan.) Everytime it gets tight, or the match gets rough, you just know he's going to find a 2nd, 3rd, or 43rd gear, and finish it off. He's an absolute animal on this stuff. I'm not saying he'll never lose, but...God.

3. Tomorrow's final....I'm just not sure Gonzalez will do it, though it's probably the best chance he'll get. The forehand and using that to bully Nadal could be possible, but at the same time...those slice backhands...:help:...Nadal will eat them alive if he's in any condition too.

4. This might belong in the perv thread, but too bad. He's no Brad Pitt, but Nikolay's eyes (and his face, sans the hair, I guess). :hearts: Wow.

5. I could swear that SOMEONE must have tried that crosscourt forehand to Nadal's backhand thing as a tactic, and it failed miserably, but for the love of God, people, start again. Man, that was brutal at times. I couldn't believe how well it worked.

6. I don't think Nadal is going to or should play Hamburg.

mallorn
05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't know, when Rafa kept losing his serve and started to look tired I had my doubts...

Johnny Groove
Typical fanboyish behaviour. Just because he took Nadal far he's now suddenly good for you. :rolleyes:

Uh, YEAH? Normally when Nadal plays on clay, he kicks the shit out of his opponents, especially this year. Even your guys Berydch/Nole/Youzhny all got their asses kicked. I respect any player than can push Nadal this far, even if *shudder* Ljubo does it.

A_Skywalker

Dont you see you complain about everything, I think your life is only that to complain, you dont do anything else. Find a better things to do.

yana
I don't understand. Was Nadal injured, tired or what? I like Kolya too, but I didn't think for a second that he will cause so mach truble. I didn't saw the match BTW, because our tv thought it's better to broadcast it latter. :(

jayjay
When Paris Hilton enters a nunnery, I expect.

:lol:

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 05:47 PM
For Davydenko, this match ranks right up there with the one against Federer at the AO last year, and the one when he thrashed Hrbaty in the Paris TMS final.

Indeed. Too bad for Davy, close doesn't count for much on the ATP tour. You have to pull off the win against the top players once in a while i.e. AO, Shanghai, here...

QuicKyMonSter
wow kolya, that was awesome....i just wish you had beaten him in the end :mad:
still, great match

ginnylegend
Nadal wasn't sub-par, he was his normal high level. You won't make no UEs in a match.

PMK was playing superhuman tennis, that's why he took it so close. Not Nadal being below par. PMK didn't allow him to control it.

FluffyYellowBall
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Nadals got way more titles and doesnt always play text book tennis... Its not always a good thing u know..

mallorn
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Right..........I think at this point, one shouldn't even raise this as a concern. Nadal will be fresh as a daisy as several past experiences have demonstrated.
Well Sheryl, contrary to popular belief among non-fans, the guy is not a machine and does get tired. I'm not saying he has no chance tomorrow, but "fresh as a daisy" is an exaggeration.

jayjay
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM

So you're impressed by 3 GS SFs? That's interesting. I take it your opinion of other players you deride who have even more impressive records is higher than you let on then? ;)

shotgun
05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Indeed. Too bad for Davy, close doesn't count for much on the ATP tour. You have to pull off the win against the top players once in a while i.e. AO, Shanghai, here...

Yes. The difference is that today, he exceeded the expectations, while for example, his match against Nadal in Shanghai last year was a classic case of mental block against top players.

NYCtennisfan
5. I could swear that SOMEONE must have tried that crosscourt forehand to Nadal's backhand thing as a tactic, and it failed miserably, but for the love of God, people, start again. Man, that was brutal at times. I couldn't believe how well it worked.

Federer did it in set one of RG last year as did PHM in the early round match. Fed was routinely pulling Nadal off of the court in that first set. The problem was that Nadal started to hit deeper and not give Federer the angle to hit that medium court ball CC with pace and angle.

RonE
I don't understand. Was Nadal injured, tired or what? I like Kolya too, but I didn't think for a second that he will cause so mach truble. I didn't saw the match BTW, because our tv thought it's better to broadcast it latter. :(

Nadal was 100% fine. It was Kolya who was taking the ball early really forcing Rafa on the back foot. And what surprised me the most was his tenacity- he just kept on going and going and didn't fade away at all. Nadal had to pry it away from him. Credit where credit is due :hatoff:

FluffyYellowBall

His timing wasnt good but got better when he notched up his level a little at the end of the 3rd set...Davydenko was aggressive and surprised nadal who wasnt anticipating his shots very well. tht Led my friend to think nadal was "slow":rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
Uh, YEAH? Normally when Nadal plays on clay, he kicks the shit out of his opponents, especially this year. Even your guys Berydch/Nole/Youzhny all got their asses kicked. I respect any player than can push Nadal this far, even if *shudder* Ljubo does it.

Now just because the player pushes your favorite far he's now good? :lol:

Dont you see you complain about everything, I think your life is only that to complain, you dont do anything else. Find a better things to do.

:rolleyes: you'll be complaining tomorrow.

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Well Sheryl, contrary to popular belief among non-fans, the guy is not a machine and does get tired. I'm not saying he has no chance tomorrow, but "fresh as a daisy" is an exaggeration.

After the first set tommorrow, Nadal will be the fresher of the two. We've seen it time and time again...he's not going to be tired or dizzy or anything else. He's going to win Rome again.

A_Skywalker

I dont complain, sorry, Im not like you

RonE

Correct me if i'm wrong Sheryl, but I think what she meant was compared to anyone else in the same position after playing a 3 and a half hour match he is fresher and fitter.

He may be tired but he recovers so well from his tough matches.

GlennMirnyi
Nadals got way more titles and doesnt always play text book tennis... Its not always a good thing u know..

What Nadal plays is barely tennis.

So you're impressed by 3 GS SFs? That's interesting. I take it your opinion of other players you deride who have even more impressive records is higher than you let on then? ;)

When one of them is the US Open, yes. Kolya has one TMS title too and plays great on fast courts. Sorry, I'm not gonna praise moonballers with results. Game first.

Beforehand
Federer did it in set one of RG last year as did PHM in the early round match. Fed was routinely pulling Nadal off of the court in that first set. The problem was that Nadal started to hit deeper and not give Federer the angle to hit that medium court ball CC with pace and angle.
I think I remember hearing that was the major strategy for Federer in their 2005 RG match, too, though for the life of me, I never can remember exactly what that match was like. I think I may have blocked it from memory.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I dont complain, sorry, Im not like you

Too bad, if you were you'd be much more interesting. :wavey:

jayjay
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM
When one of them is the US Open, yes. Kolya has one TMS title too and plays great on fast courts. Sorry, I'm not gonna praise moonballers with results. Game first.

I was thinking of Nalbandian, not Nadal. Now I know you love El Rey with his USO SF and a MP too! :D

A_Skywalker
05-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Too bad, if you were you'd be much more interesting. :wavey:

You mean that the stupid people are interesting ? :wavey:
Great way of thinking, bravo :worship:

Sunset of Age
I, for one, would be most surprised if Rafa shows any signs of being tired tomorrow... his recovery is usually excellent. I don't think tomorrow's final will be any different than usual in that regard.

Perhaps Gonzo has some hopes now?

NYCtennisfan
I think I remember hearing that was the major strategy for Federer in their 2005 RG match, too, though for the life of me, I never can remember exactly what that match was like. I think I may have blocked it from memory.

Federer tried doing that at RG 2005 as well, but failed to take advantage of the open court by going CC with his FH one to many times on countless occasions. The funny thing is that 2005 was probably Fed's best chance at an RG title because although he wasn't as good as he is now on clay, neither was Nadal. Looking back at that match there were plenty of times that Fed wrested complete control of a point with two FH's and then finished the point. He cannot do that anymore against Nadal.

mangoes
After the first set tommorrow, Nadal will be the fresher of the two. We've seen it time and time again...he's not going to be tired or dizzy or anything else. He's going to win Rome again.

Exactly

Correct me if i'm wrong Sheryl, but I think what she meant was compared to anyone else in the same position after playing a 3 and a half hour match he is fresher and fitter.

That's exactly what I meant.

Ania, my dear, that concern has been raised many, many times in the past.......and on the day of the match, Nadal was fresh as a daisy and showed no signs of having played a long match the previous day. So, I'm not pulling this assumption out of thin air.

And if Gonzo is under this assumption, he is in for a rude awakening. If Gonzo wants to win Rome, he will need to play one hell of a match.

A_Skywalker
Here's the song that suits Rafa most
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKUx_q7ig

FluffyYellowBall

Oh and yet he wins slams...Have u ever played on clay?? U might not see "GAME" but there several tactics go on in one point alone so retards like u dont see that because topspin is not in tennis.

mallorn
05-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I'd love for this to happen but I don't see how Gonzo is going to be more tired tomorrow. I won't complain if he is though. :p

That I agree with, but I was talking about this specific situation where his opponent tomorrow did not play a three and a half hour match. So if anyone is going to be "fresh as a daisy" I think Gonzo is more likely.

GlennMirnyi
I was thinking of Nalbandian, not Nadal. Now I know you love El Rey with his USO SF and a MP too! :D

Nalbandian is a good player, he's just overhyped. I've told you that already.

You mean that the stupid people are interesting ? :wavey:
Great way of thinking, bravo :worship:

Am I the stupid fanboy here? Think again.

Oh and yet he wins slams...Have u ever played on clay?? U might not see "GAME" but there several tactics go on in one point alone so retards like u dont see that because topspin is not in tennis.

I play on clay everyday. Topspin is tennis, moonballing is not.

Kalliopeia

It's easy for someone who isn't really a Nadal fan to feel that way! :D Just like it's easy for someone who isn't a Federer fan to take his constant wins for granted (while his fans are chewing their fingernails to bloody stumps over the same matches). :lol:

He was fine. His game was a bit off, but just a bit. Probably against anyone else this week the way he was playing would have been good enough to win comfortably. But he was just off enough that Davydenko, who was playing fantastic tennis, really took it to him.

From your lips (keyboard?) to God's ears.

I think it's funny that this is the sort of match everyone expected against Djokovic, not Davydenko.

I'm kind of hoping he doesn't play Hamburg now, especially if the final is another long tough one.

jayjay
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I play on clay everyday. Topspin is tennis, moonballing is not.

You any good? Maybe we should arrange a battle of the surfaces between you and Xristos?

A_Skywalker
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Am I the stupid fanboy here? Think again.

I'll let you think for yourself, I dont have so much time to loose like you.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
You any good? Maybe we should arrange a battle of the surfaces between you and Xristos?

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: first he's got to be some Shoelacesmith or something like that.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Really? Why are you posting here then? :lol:

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I do not think Nadal was 100% for this match....

But Davydenko did play very well.

But Compared to what Nadal did vs Youhzny and Djokovic...It was not the same player.

FluffyYellowBall
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Exactly, people rnt here to piss of fanboys...

LoveFifteen
05-12-2007, 06:05 PM

God, shut the fuck up! :rolleyes:

You are one of the most annoying posters on this board. I wish they'd ban you.

yanchr
05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Davydenko is awesome today. I think he sends some information to the rest of the tour about how to beat Nadal on clay (well, still almost unbeatable, but if there is a slim chance...). Take the ball early and put pressure on Nadal right on return, keep the ball as deep as possible, go fearlessly for the crosscourt and down the line and crosscourt etc, and show a heart. A consistent two-handed drive backhand is really crucial here. I hope sb is at least watching this.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
In fact, about 54 breaks of serve.

RickDaStick
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
God, shut the fuck up! :rolleyes:

You are one of the most annoying posters on this board. I wish they'd ban you.

:wavey:

The_Nadal_effect
05-12-2007, 06:07 PM

He's a rock star. He plays rock and roll. Its not pretty for Mozart fans :lol:
...Aah the sweet music of tennis.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:07 PM
He's a rock star. He plays rock and roll. Its not pretty for Mozart fans :lol:
...Aah the sweet music of tennis.

Wow, this gotta be one of the most :retard: posts I've ever read. :worship:

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I do not think Nadal was 100% for this match....

But Davydenko did play very well.

But Compared to what Nadal did vs Youhzny and Djokovic...It was not the same player.

Misha and Djokovic didn't play as well as Davy did today. Every match is different. Nadal got a bit defensive because Davy was hitting the ball so well.

Tom_Bombadil
05-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Davydenko is awesome today. I think he sends some information to the rest of the tour about how to beat Nadal on clay (well, still almost unbeatable, but if there is a slim chance...). Take the ball early and put pressure on Nadal right on return, keep the ball as deep as possible, go fearlessly for the crosscourt and down the line and crosscourt etc, and show a heart. A consistent two-handed drive backhand is really crucial here. I hope sb is at least watching this.

I guess by that reasoning that Volandri also showed the rest of the tour how to defeat Federer (well, Nadal already had showed it).

I can't buy that one dimensional vision so many people have, downgrading at all times Nadal's game as if he was some kind of videogame you have to play a lot of times to finally win. It's plain stupid reasoning if you only apply it to Nadal. If you want that theory to be respected then you must apply it also to Federer, Djokovic, etc.

MissPovaFan
05-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I felt Davydenko certainly played the more attractive tennis out there and as much as I like Kolya I feel a more competant clay courter would have defeated Nadal today.

Castafiore
05-12-2007, 06:11 PM
My gosh...I feel exhausted just watching that match. That was the sort of match I expected from Djokovic but not Davydenko.:eek:

Davydenko played such a superb match, great angles, fantastic precision, very consistent. He gets so much grief on MTF (probably would have a LOT more fans if he was better looking) but this match should change a couple of opinions.

Rafa....what a battle, what a fight. Now that it's over and with a good result, I can safely say that this was one of the most exciting matches of the year so far. Rafa showed once again how strong he's mentally, esp. on clay. On faster surfaces, he's not as confident but on clay, he's able to dig so deep.
No idea how much energy he has left - no matter what some others say here, he's not a machine, not a robot - but tomorrow's another day. Good luck, Rafa :worship:

yana

What about anyone will not even take Nadal to a tiebreak, Ron? You choose the perfect time to jinx him. :sad:

GlennMirnyi
Nadal = one-dimensional moonballer. :dance:

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:12 PM

It's the juice. ;)

MissPovaFan
05-12-2007, 06:13 PM
My gosh...I feel exhausted just watching that match. That was the sort of match I expected from Djokovic but not Davydenko.:eek:

Davydenko played such a superb match, great angles, fantastic precision, very consistent. He gets so much grief on MTF (probably would have a LOT more fans if he was better looking) but this match should change a couple of opinions.

Rafa....what a battle, what a fight. Now that it's over and with a good result, I can safely say that this was one of the most exciting matches of the year so far. Rafa showed once again how strong he's mentally, esp. on clay. On faster surfaces, he's not as confident but on clay, he's able to dig so deep.
No idea how much energy he has left - no matter what some others say here, he's not a machine, not a robot - but tomorrow's another day. Good luck, Rafa :worship:

Same here it was a cracking match fair play! Both players clearly gave it their all, really gutting that Kolya couldn't hold his serve at the end but I could see it coming sadly :sad:

However....

I cannot for the life of me see Nadal defeating Gonzo tomorrow - considering the condition both will be in.

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Same here it was a cracking match fair play! Both players clearly gave it their all, really gutting that Kolya couldn't hold his serve at the end but I could see it coming sadly :sad:

However....

I cannot for the life of me see Nadal defeating Gonzo tomorrow - considering the condition both will be in.

You cannot be serious about this.

The_Nadal_effect
Kolya the unbelievable!
The chicken that resisted being deep-fried...
The chicken that didn't cluck when it was being fleeced and bit the hands of its butcher...
The chicken that dreamed of flying high as an eagle...
Kolya, you rocked!

Metis

:awww: I hope you get better soon! :hug:

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:17 PM
:awww: I hope you get better soon! :hug:

I will tomorrow.

FluffyYellowBall

Good boy is that what u want?? Attention?? Or r u intenting to stir up an intellectual conversation??
What, DO U MASTURBATE TO GM??

RickDaStick

:yeah:

MissPovaFan
05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
You cannot be serious about this.

Nadal looked pretty exhausted after today's match and Gonzo had a very easy victory over Volandri. Surely that has to tell? Davydenko isn't the best clay courter either.

RickDaStick
05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Good boy is that what u want?? Attention?? Or r u intenting to stir up an intellectual conversation??

Speaking of masturbation, when is the next Rafatard circle jerk planned?

LinkMage
05-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Nadal will crush Gonzo. Nadal never gets tired.

FluffyYellowBall

The problem isnt with the tards..The problem is people like Glenn thinking its genius rooting for players outside the top 50

Jimnik
What a match. I really thought Kolya would win but he just ran out of gas, after going 4-3 up in the 3rd, as his long matches with Safin, Starace and Robredo finally caught up with him. I hope he keeps this form up for Hamburg.

MissPovaFan
05-12-2007, 06:23 PM
What a match. I really thought Kolya would win but he just ran out of gas, after going 4-3 up in the 3rd, as his long matches with Safin, Starace and Robredo finally caught up with him. I hope he keeps this form up for Hamburg.

Hopefully :D He has a quarter-final to defend there as well so he needs to do well.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

No, I'm not a Rafatard watching a Nadal poster.

:haha: :haha:

The problem isnt with the tards..The problem is people like Glenn thinking its genius rooting for players outside the top 50

I think you're a genius when you're sleeping. :D

Merton
05-12-2007, 06:28 PM
This was one of those matches where PMK was totally on fire, like against Roger in the AO, Canas in the AO, Blake in Shanghai, Hrbaty in Bercy, you know it when you see him routinely hitting swing volleys for winners and being comfortable at the net. Yet, Davydenko sometimes fails to win these matches, and today was also the case.

Full credit to Nadal, against an opponent on such form he should have lost in 2, yet he won. Apart from a temporary phase at the end of the 2nd set where his balls where consistently short, he kept fighting and eventually won. For me, his ability to consistently win those close matches is more important than the streak itself, well done.

FluffyYellowBall
05-12-2007, 06:30 PM
No, I'm not a Rafatard watching a Nadal poster.

:haha: :haha:

I think you're a genius when you're sleeping. :D

ok fanboy

Merton
05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
As for the tour learning how to beat Nadal on clay, well, there was not any really new information. It requires perfect timing to take those Nadal balls early on the forehand side as Davydenko consistently did and create the pace and angle to open the court. In theory you know it is a good strategy, but implementing this to perfection is another matter.

GlennMirnyi
05-12-2007, 06:32 PM
ok fanboy

:haha:

:dance:

Neely
05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Nadal, Davy: good match by both :hatoff: I knew Davydenko can play this kind of matches, but he just does not do it often enough for my taste.

Good match! Sadly Davydonkey couldn't beat the machine at the end. It's incredible how much Nadal was running after 3.30 hours.
Davydenko is pretty much of a machine himself and IMO that's a main part because he was so competetive today. When you're playing against Nadal, you must show him that you can dig as deep as him, that you run at least as much as him.

In the past Davydenko had some enormous problems from time to time with his condition, but I haven't notice this lately.

:lol: serve was not worth a lot it seemed ;) but there will always be some people that argue that this exactly make claycourt tennis so unique, because serve means less than on a fast surface where one break is pretty much a good insurance for the good servers... well :shrug: ;)

Sorry, but it's wrong because he only has two semis.

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Davydenko just couldn't grasp Rafa's big, heavy balls.

anon57
05-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Hats of to Nadal and especially Davydenko, who showed why he deserves to be top 10. Great match

denibas77
05-12-2007, 07:08 PM
When hewitt played davydenko on RG I dont know what year he said that davydenko plays better when he is behind in match but not when he's leading it's stil same nowadays.Evan match was close,the winner was known.

Blue Heart24
05-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Nadal really shouldnt play Hamburg.You can see on him that he's tired.Gonzo played amazing today and if his forehand will work tomorrow as it worked today,I think he has a good chance.Just remember that AO match :worship:
Yes,this is clay,but Fena is back in form again..Good luck to him.
And you have to give credits to Nikolay,he played an great match after a long time :hatoff:
And remember how many people thinked that clown Robredo could beat him :haha:

RonE
05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Nadal really shouldnt play Hamburg.You can see on him that he's tired.Gonzo played amazing today and if his forehand will work tomorrow as it worked today,I think he has a good chance.Just remember that AO match :worship:
And you have to give credits to Nikolay,he played an great match after a long time :hatoff:

The difference is in the AO match the court surface reacted really well to slice forcing Nadal to dig out those sliced BH's and setting the ball up for Fernando to blast the FH. On clay this will not be the case and Nadal will pound that backhand to the ground.

RedFury
05-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Yeah, it's actually baseball with a racket. Glad to see I am not the only one to notice that. Too bad his past consecutive 76 victims on clay haven't noticed it either.

Might I ask you something? Are you always this much of an imbecile or are you making an extra effort on our behalf? If so, don't bother. You seem to be a natural.

Vamossss Rafa!

Best baseball player with a racket in history!

FluffyYellowBall
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Different curcumstances...Nadal is way more confident now and i think were gonna see a reminiscent of the AO final where lots of people expected Gonzalez to win but didnt prevail.

Forehander
05-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I realise Davydenko's game bothers Nadal quite a bit. Lol he's the first one to take a set off Nadal on clay good job :)

supertommyhaas
05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
very good preformanc from nickolay, but i am relieved he didnt win

Bad Religion
05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
That was close .

If Rafa didn´t lose today , then he will not lose this year on clay .

Fuerza Rafa en la final de mañana . Vamos !!!

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I thought Koyla had a good chance. I think if he made the 2005 RG final, he would have had a great chance.
I think this RG is more open than most people think it is.

neenah
05-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know where to find the stats for aces and serve % and breaks for this match? It's not on the ATP scoreboard's results for some reason..:rolleyes:

Forehander
05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Keep in mind that RG and Rome are two quite different surfaces. RG's game suits Nadal even more than this Rome surface due to slower balls.

The_Nadal_effect
05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah, it's actually baseball with a racket. Glad to see I am not the only one to notice that. Too bad his past consecutive 76 victims on clay haven't noticed it either.Best baseball player with a racket in history!

Tennis is changing and becoming more dynamic than it was before. I think people find this change hard to digest, since they are used to seeing more conservative ways. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) people might have even had problems when tennis became more fashionable and players stopped sticking to white clothes. Its all mental, really. Everyone should change with the times. Even if Nadal plays the racket like a caveman's club, every aspect of his game is WITHIN THE RULES. That's all that matters.

Might I ask you (Glenn) something? Are you always this much of an imbecile or are you making an extra effort on our behalf? If so, don't bother. You seem to be a natural.

Glenn's 14. Pardon him. Puberty pushes him to post.

Tom_Bombadil
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I believe you fail to understand one thing: each match, each day, it's a different picture.

The notable thing of this Nadal streak is that, even when he's not playing his best and his opponent it's playing his best... he manages to win.

Now Davydenko did a great match, but maybe he goes to Hamburg and looses in first round. Consistency is the key, specially on clay. I'm not downgrading Davydenko by saying that, I'm only stating they could meet again in RG and Rafa could win in straight sets, because each game is difficult.

For example, a lot of people thought Youzhny or Djokovic would put things worse for Nadal and that wasn't true.

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Keep in mind that RG and Rome are two quite different surfaces. RG's game suits Nadal even more than this Rome surface due to slower balls.

This is also true.

Plus, Nadal was abysmal with his 2nd serve....

d3ck
05-12-2007, 08:26 PM
An artistic-outclass number one has a bad day against an average Volandri and the match ends 62- 63...

Nadal has a bad day (really bad) against and in-form-fighting-wall #4 in the world Kolya, and wins...

ok i think we don't need any smart-ass comments... we just need a pair of wide-open and amazed eyes.

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Federer has won 6 of the last 7 majors. That's much bigger than a one surface winning streak.
They aren't even comparable.

Bad Religion
05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I thought Koyla had a good chance. I think if he made the 2005 RG final, he would have had a great chance.
I think this RG is more open than most people think it is.

I disagree with you goldie , Kolya is not GS material .

Kalliopeia
05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Federer has won 6 of the last 7 majors. That's much bigger than a one surface winning streak.

You appear to be the only one comparing them.

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
If Kolya isn't GS material, it's because of Federer. He's in the ballpark with Nadal on clay.

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
You appear to be the only one comparing them.
No, someone with a Sharapova avatar compared them.

d3ck
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM

agree, nothing comparable, both need be looked at and praised separately, both achievements are superb.

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Nadal is getting praised plenty. If Davydenko won today, nothing would change.
Today doesn't affect RG at all. It wiould have ended the one surface streak, that's all.

d3ck
05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
And sorry if I looked like a Federer hater, I admire him and Nadal too.

I sometimes try to imagine Fed with Rafa's mental and physical power, and Rafa with Fed's art in his wrists....

thats all, I just like tennis

Kalliopeia
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
No, someone with a Sharapova avatar compared them.

Ah, sounded to me like he was comparing their Rome results, not the slam record vs the clay record.

I'd just like to take a moment for a big :hug: to the Davydenko fans. Because this one had to hurt. I can't imagine he could have played any better, and Rafa was just a little bit off. He looked really down walking off the court.

goldenlox
05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
It doesn't hurt, because he fought well, and showed he can play to his ranking. He needs to be more consistent.
Sveta not serving out her match at 64 53 against Justine today was more annoying, and that match isn't even finished.

Yappa
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Of course Nadal won it in the end, but congrats to Davydenko for not giving up after losing that first set.

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2007, 09:05 PM
This is also true.

Plus, Nadal was abysmal with his 2nd serve....

His 2nd serve was the same as usual but he didn't as many points with it as usual because Davy played such a strong match off of both the FH and BH wings allowing him to win many rallies.

gillian
05-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Nice try by the workhorse.

Kudos to Nadal on this amazing victory.

explicit
05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Glad to see Kolya finally getting the attention he deserves!

Pfloyd
05-12-2007, 09:29 PM
His 2nd serve was the same as usual but he didn't as many points with it as usual because Davy played such a strong match off of both the FH and BH wings allowing him to win many rallies.

True.

One thing I did notice was that Nadal was trying to put wat too much spin on the ball and sometimes this caused the ball to not go as deep.

Also, Nadal's backspin was not nearly as flat and as strong as it was in the previous matches, the ball with his backhand was going way too high and wasen't being very effective.

However, Davydenko played at a fast pace and fought like a true champion.

There are no real secrets to beating Nadal on clay, other than, you need to play out of you arse and you need to be a fighter. Also, a good serve helps.

That's about it.

hablovah19
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Kolya. :sad::hug:

Eden
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a very interesting and dramatic match. Surely not many expected Davydenko to be the one who would be able to take the first set of Rafa on clay this year and even come close to beat him.

:hatoff: to both players.

trixtah
05-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Great stuff. I've always admired Davydenko (unlike many haters here). Looks as if he wasn't the dessert after all--Djokovic was the pre-meal soup and Davydenko was the main course.

charliebrown
05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Loved the match! Kolya was robotic in his precise play, Rafa did well to win.

Johnny Groove
05-13-2007, 01:33 AM

The fact that Nadal is my fav is irrelevent. The fact that Nadal is far and away the best claycourter in the world, and arguably top 5 in history, being pushed this far by a player I used to slag off is relevent. :hatoff: Kolya

An artistic-outclass number one has a bad day against an average Volandri and the match ends 62- 63...

Nadal has a bad day (really bad) against and in-form-fighting-wall #4 in the world Kolya, and wins...

ok i think we don't need any smart-ass comments... we just need a pair of wide-open and amazed eyes.

Exactly. Rafa is such a fighter and never gives up. Fed is a little bitch that tanks when he is losing :angel:

Kolya
05-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Congrats to Nadal.

Davydenko will never be world's best player but he deserves to be in the top 5. Please give him more respect than he deserves.

trixtah
05-13-2007, 01:43 AM

I think this is the definitive post that proves you're no more than a troll.

W!MBLEDON
05-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Wow. Davydenko played much better than I had expected. So that's two close wins now for Nadal? 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 and 7-6, 6-7, 6-4? :eek:

sawan66278
05-13-2007, 02:35 AM
To start, I knew it would be a difficult match. Why? Though Rafa was not playing that well last year, he had a VERY difficult match in Shanghai against Kolya. Throughout the tourney, he was hitting deep...and Rafa's strength goes to Kolya's strength (forehand to backhand).

Both players fought...and the combination of Koyla playing well, and Rafa off his game (falling back into his passive, defensive style), led to what could be the match of the year.

I hope Rafa wins the tourney...because he certainly deserves it if you look at his draw here.

And...please...let's give credit to Koyla...In my opinion, he has achieved a LOT more and has as much (if not more) talent than young guns like Misha and Novak...but...for whatever reason, has not gotten the credit he deserves. Case closed.

DhammaTiger
05-13-2007, 03:16 AM
What a great match. I am happy Rafa was taken to the limit by Kolya. Today, another mouth watering encounter between two of my favourites. Vamos Fernando!! Vamos Rafa!! may the better player win.

gary
05-13-2007, 04:15 AM
wow Kolya :eek: :worship: didn't expect this
judge by the score,it was a very good match ,great performance from both
what a fight Kolya :bowdown:

Action Jackson
05-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Excellent match, but sadly the result was inevitable. Thing is Davydenko played so well, but as usual when he needed to be at his strongest against the top players, he wasn't.

TommyM
05-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Nadal knew he was against a very good player, tensed a little bit, played a little bit too careful, not going for his shots and made a lot of problems for himself.

That's why he is beatable on clay. He is not 100% confident.

RonE
05-13-2007, 06:52 AM
What about anyone will not even take Nadal to a tiebreak, Ron? You choose the perfect time to jinx him. :sad:

Moi? Jinx? Whatever gave you that idea? :angel:

trixtah
05-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Nadal knew he was against a very good player, tensed a little bit, played a little bit too careful, not going for his shots and made a lot of problems for himself.

That's why he is beatable on clay. He is not 100% confident.

Not exactly--Rafa didn't tense, he just wasn't playing his top clay game and because Nikolay takes the ball early, he is able to dictate play. Because of this, Nadal was forced farther behind the baseline. While this is normal for him, he wasn't moving as well and hitting his signature passing shots today. I hope he's rested up for tomorrow. Vamos!!

wenty
05-13-2007, 08:13 AM
:hatoff: to Davydenko, he fought brilliantly :worship:

Deivid23
05-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Amazing match from Davydenko, well done Desnu, excellent play and fight.

Rafa, simply brutal never-say-die attitude, brilliant stuff, congrats :yeah:

kaetchen
05-13-2007, 11:52 AM
great match!

all credit to Kolya for giving such a fight!:wavey:

eck
05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Fantastic match from both, pity Davydenko came out short :(

scoobs
05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
All you can do is bow down to Davydenko for fighting so hard for so long and really making Nadal work harder on clay than he's had to since Rome final last year. He threw everything he had at Nadal and if he'd had a bit more physically he might have been able to pull it out.

And you have to hand it to Nadal - when he's strolling through a match he does what he needs to do to win, and when he's embroiled in a mammoth dogfight for every point, he leaves everything he has out on court, such is his determination to win. His fight and his determination to make the opponent prove he should defeat him on this surface is second to no player I have ever seen - it's a rare mentality he has and it's his greatest strength on clay.

Jogy
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm glad that Nadal won this match! What a claycourt player he is!!!! :eek:

A tournament basher like Davydenko who has - with expect one tournament- only mickey mouses may not bash the little tournaments that feeds him. :)

Amazing match from Davydenko, well done Desnu, excellent play and fight.

Rafa, simply brutal never-say-die attitude, brilliant stuff, congrats :yeah:
very great body and mental strength of Nadal, I think the best ever. You can't compare this to players in the past because the physical part played a smaller role back then. Today everone needs to be fit to be on such a level on clay like Nadal.

Sorry, but it's wrong because he only has two semis.
I thought same. I did not check, but if you are right it would not be surprise.

Or do really somebody serious expect a tool and little boy like GlennMiryni to get his facts right? :lol:

Goonergal
05-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Shame it wasn't the final. Brilliant match :worship:

RedFury
05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Tennis is changing and becoming more dynamic than it was before. I think people find this change hard to digest, since they are used to seeing more conservative ways. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) people might have even had problems when tennis became more fashionable and players stopped sticking to white clothes. Its all mental, really. Everyone should change with the times. Even if Nadal plays the racket like a caveman's club, every aspect of his game is WITHIN THE RULES. That's all that matters.

Ancient as I am, I've been watching tennis since the good old days of Manolo Santana, an artist on-court if there ever was one. That said, while I might agree that to some (older/conservative) fans, past times are always better, I stick with saying that no time is better than the present. Why? Simple. These are the future "better times." Thus it keeps me current.

Nadal's style might not be classic, but I could come up with any number of legendary players whose game wasn't exactly orthodox by any measurable standard. Doesn't detract from their greatness, just as Nadal's style doesn't detract from his incredible accomplishments at such a young age. Personally, I'll go even further and say that I love his game, because, in many ways, it's representative of the Spanish spirit. Never give up, never say die. All guts and fire.

As for that Glenn character, while the first part of your post certainly doesn't apply due to his age, the same explains his trolling, attention-whoring ways. Thus he is not only pardoned but to be completely ignored.

PS-Anyone watching Rafa steamrolling Feña? Almost feel sorry for the latter. Almost. ;)

Kalliopeia
05-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Personally, I'll go even further and say that I love his game, because, in many ways, it's representative of the Spanish spirit. Never give up, never say die. All guts and fire.

I love his game, too. It amazes me when people say its ugly. How can that much passion be ugly? I find him gorgeous to watch for that reason. Guts and fire, indeed. :hearts:

Mimi
05-14-2007, 04:10 AM
its the opposite, its you to complain, not A Skywalker, as always, never be so over-confidence :haha: :haha:

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2007, 04:19 AM
its the opposite, its you to complain, not A Skywalker, as always, never be so over-confidence :haha: :haha:
It's over-confident.

GlennMirnyi
05-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Ancient as I am, I've been watching tennis since the good old days of Manolo Santana, an artist on-court if there ever was one. That said, while I might agree that to some (older/conservative) fans, past times are always better, I stick with saying that no time is better than the present. Why? Simple. These are the future "better times." Thus it keeps me current.

Nadal's style might not be classic, but I could come up with any number of legendary players whose game wasn't exactly orthodox by any measurable standard. Doesn't detract from their greatness, just as Nadal's style doesn't detract from his incredible accomplishments at such a young age. Personally, I'll go even further and say that I love his game, because, in many ways, it's representative of the Spanish spirit. Never give up, never say die. All guts and fire.

As for that Glenn character, while the first part of your post certainly doesn't apply due to his age, the same explains his trolling, attention-whoring ways. Thus he is not only pardoned but to be completely ignored.

PS-Anyone watching Rafa steamrolling Feña? Almost feel sorry for the latter. Almost. ;)

Just because I value the sport more than you you think you can call me a troll? I speak more sense than you'll ever do in your whole life.

Pfloyd
05-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Just because I value the sport more than you you think you can call me a troll? I speak more sense than you'll ever do in your whole life.

I doubt that.

Shit, your so stubborn in your "ideals" of what tennis "is" you fail to recognize something that is so obvious, so in-your-face as Nadal an amazing tennis player.

You're just running out of excuses.

Seriously, you don't consider yourself a troll?

It dosent really matter. As Nadal continues to extend his streak into the guiness book of world records, your insults will continue.

Heh, I understand your frustration. I do. You hate Nadal with all your guts, yet week after week he is winning tournaments and further solidifying his status as one of the best clay courters in the game. It must be so enfuriating to see that. Heck, Nadal is even pissing Vilas and McEnroe off he is so good.

But go ahead. Claim more wisdom than Federer, McEnroe, Coria and all the hundred others who say that Nadal is a phenom. Also remember Numbers don't lie.

But whatever. I already your routine. Call me ignorant. Call me a fanboy. Say there are no good clay courters. Call Nadal an anti-tennis, moonballer. And yet deny your obvious status of troll.

Again Gustavo, nothing against you in things not regarding tennis. But damn man, your a case.