Nadal and Hamburg [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal and Hamburg

alpay
05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Does anyone here know why Nadal always gives Hamburg a miss, at least for the past 3 years? I mean.. it's a Masters Series after all.. and his last match in Hamburg was back in 2003.

We know he's going to Hamburg this time round. Will this mean his clay streak ends here?

If anyone knows what's Nadal's issue with Hamburg, kindly enlighten. Thanks. :worship:

Fumus
05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Um...are you serious?

Think about that...

Tom_Bombadil
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Nadal's issue with Hamburg was than the last years he was winning everything and the finals were the best of 5 sets. This time though he's going cause he wants to support that event and he's not gonna be that tired after all (even Federer skipped that one last year after the famous Roma final).

His possibilities? What do you think? He's on fire. Whatever he plays on clay I have the feeling he's going to win right now. By the way, issn't the Hamburg clay perfect for Rafa's play? Slow, with high bounce... I have the feeling he's going to do right. ;)

l_mac
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
In 2004 he was injured, 2005 & 6 he had won bets-of-5 finals at Rome the day before Hamburg started.

I think he'll play this year, but I don't know if it's the right decision.

alfonsojose
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Juicy Man can survive anything :D

Merton
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Nadal simply follows the Muster routine back from his 95 campaign on clay. I doubt he will play again, but it is an interesting conflict between greed and optimal preparation for RG. The greed part comes because there are 500 points potentially and he has not spent that much time on court. Yet, why change the preparation that worked so well in the 2 previous years? I think Nadal will skip Hamburg again, but we will see.

nolop
05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
well he is a human and gets exhausted after wining everything,;)
besides hamburg is the less prestigious of the clay masters after all, not a big deal

Beforehand
05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Anyone think he'll play it not to let Federer have it?

I mean...Federer winning it the way hes' been playing seems absurd, but if Federer wins it without Nadal playing, Federer will have actually GAINED 225 points on his lead over Rafa this clay season.

adee-gee
05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone think he'll play it not to let Federer have it?

Federer will lose to Hernandez :shrug: he has bigger things to worry about.

Nacho
05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
he is soooo going to win hamburg if he gets to play there...

jayjay
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Does anyone here know why Nadal always gives Hamburg a miss, at least for the past 3 years? I mean.. it's a Masters Series after all.. and his last match in Hamburg was back in 2003.
If anyone knows what's Nadal's issue with Hamburg, kindly enlighten. Thanks. :worship:

In 2004, Nadal missed a couple of months of the season with a stress fracture in his left foot. He missed all but Estoril of the Euro clay court season pre and including French Open.

In 2005, he played a 5 hour plus final epic with Coria in Rome.

In 2006, he did the same but this time with Federer.

I suspect he will play Hamburg this year unless anything unforseen happens between now and Sunday.

alpay
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
thanks for the info guys :worship:

Beforehand
05-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Was 2003 the year he got injured at Roland Garros itself then?

Black Adam
05-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Nadal has won Roland Garros all the times he has played it. 2005 was his very first Roland Garros.

Beforehand
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Nadal has won Roland Garros all the times he has played it. 2005 was his very first Roland Garros.
It was either 2003 or 2004 that he was there, at the tournament, though, and someone injured him goofing around. At least I think it was there, and not the week before or anything.

Beforehand
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
The tournament hadn't started yet, though.

Andre♥
05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
If Nadal wants to reach #1, he needs to play and win Hamburg...

Beforehand
05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
If Nadal wants to reach #1, he needs to play and win Hamburg...
Yeah. I think sitting back and waiting for Fed to lose points isn't going to be good enough, especially considering the likelihood of him losing points during the grass season and Wimbledon.

Johnny Groove
05-11-2007, 08:19 PM

03, yeah.

in 04, he had been injured since Estoril.

Veronique
05-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Screw Hamburg! He should go home and prepare for RG. He should use the dizzy spells he had this week as an excuse. If he wants to support Hamburg, he can show up and apologize like Roger did last year.

Ays25
05-12-2007, 04:18 AM
the topic should have been Nadal and Hamurg

t0x
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
He shouldn't play...

After complaining of being tired in the later half of last season, playing more clay matches is just a recipe for more crappy losses later on.

I'm sure he wants to play Hamburg, but RG is his priority right now...

RonE
05-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I think he should play. It's not like he is overly straining himself winning his matches and he could use it as a springboard for more points and still be fresh enough and ready for RG.

Jimnik
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
For sure, if he really wants to be world #1 then playing Hamburg is a must, not just for the points but to stop Federer. The question is, just how superstitious is he? Does he really want to change a winning routine?

Agassi Aces
05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Nadal wants Hamburg, the only clay TMS to elude him. He will go there and win it next week.

RonE
05-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I think he should play. It's not like he is overly straining himself winning his matches and he could use it as a springboard for more points and still be fresh enough and ready for RG.

OK, after his marathon 3 and a half hour semifinal match today I am beginning to think he might give Hamburg a miss after all.

A_Skywalker
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Surely he will miss it, if it was a win in 2 sets(2.3h) he would go there, but 3.4 h... No way

Johnny Groove
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM
OK, after his marathon 3 and a half hour semifinal match today I am beginning to think he might give Hamburg a miss after all.

Unless he and Gonzalez go 3 more hours tomorrow, I think he'll give Hamburg a shot

jayjay
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Agreed. It would be unwise for him to play but he may feel compelled to do so given the issue over Hamburg Masters status (and his prounounced support for the event).

l_mac
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I hope he skips it.

Flibbertigibbet
05-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Unless he and Gonzalez go 3 more hours tomorrow, I think he'll give Hamburg a shot

Yeah, I do too, mainly because of the controversy last year. His draw isn't too bad in Hamburg either. Though I do think he doesn't really have a need to mess with the formula, but I don't think it'd be a huge difference.

Johnny Groove
05-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I do too, mainly because of the controversy last year. His draw isn't too bad in Hamburg either. Though I do think he doesn't really have a need to mess with the formula, but I don't think it'd be a huge difference.

and since its best of 3, and he'll play wednesday in Hmaburg agaisnt Becker/Qualifier :shrug:

LeChuck
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Hopefully Nadal withdraws from Hamburg. It isn't that big a tournament anyway and is easily the weakest of the claycourt masters series events. 15 matches at Monte-Carlo, Barcelona and Rome represents more than enough match practice for the French Open. For the past two years, he has pulled out of Hamburg, to rest for two weeks ahead of the French Open. It has worked beautifully. Why change a winning formula?

kobulingam
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Hopefully Nadal withdraws from Hamburg. It isn't that big a tournament anyway and is easily the weakest of the claycourt masters series events. 15 matches at Monte-Carlo, Barcelona and Rome represents more than enough match practice for the French Open. For the past two years, he has pulled out of Hamburg, to rest for two weeks ahead of the French Open. It has worked beautifully. Why change a winning formula?

But he always started RG looking rusty. Best formula would be for him to skip Barcelona instead of Hamburg. Too bad he loves Barcelona, thus he already has a lot of mileage on his legs.

*bunny*
05-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I second that.
Winning MC and skipping/losing early in Hamburg has been a good winning formula for many RG champions.

jayjay
05-12-2007, 05:53 PM
But he always started RG looking rusty. Best formula would be for him to skip Barcelona instead of Hamburg. Too bad he loves Barcelona, thus he already has a lot of mileage on his legs.

Home nation players are always expected (if not obliged) to support tournaments played in their nation. Nadal would get more flak than it would be worth to not play Barcelona (aside from the fact he enjoys the event anyway).

jenanun
05-12-2007, 05:56 PM

always nice to play on home soil....

he should play barcelona instead of hamburg..... show some support to his home country tournament.....

LeChuck
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
always nice to play on home soil....

he should play barcelona instead of hamburg..... show some support to his home country tournament.....

Exactly. Rafa is a member of the club that hosts the Barcelona event and has ties to the city (through Uncle Miguel), and he loves playing there. Looking at the entry lists and winners lists that both Barcelona and Hamburg have had over the years, you could easily make a case for the former being the bigger tournament out of the two anyway.

thrust
05-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Nadal should skip Hamburg and concentrate on the French Open. He has played and won enough this season and doesn^t need to play Hamburg. Roger needs the Hamburg title, if possible.

Jimnik
05-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Maybe if Nadal loses tomorrow, he'll play Hamburg.

gusman890
05-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Depends on how he recovers from today, and how tomorrow's match will have an effect on him.

If he loses or wins in 2 sets tomorrow, he has a shot to play in hamburg.

If the match goes 3 sets, ether way, he isnt going to play.

Caralimon
05-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Remember that this year the first 8 seeds have a bye, so it will be one match less and a wednesday start.

And playing 3.40 on saturday it's not the same than playing 5 hours on sunday, like the previous two years. I personally think he'll play.