Hamburg [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hamburg

sebabe
05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know if Seb is playing this one?

aliasthad
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know if Seb is playing this one?

He should be. He's listed for qualifying and his Website says the next tournament is Hamburg. Apparently the qualifying draw is out at 9pm tonight.

:wavey:

Julio
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Apparemment Séb' jouera contre Gulbis :

(4) GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA v GULBIS, Ernests LAT.

Avec ces changements stupides de règlement, c'est quand même démentiel qu'il ait besoin de se qualifier pour entrer dans le grand tableau !!!

JBdV
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Bonne chance Seb!

sebabe
05-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks

JBdV
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
He won 2-6 7-5 6-2 :yeah:

aliasthad
05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
He won 2-6 7-5 6-2 :yeah:

:cool:

Can someone please explain to me the circumstances in which a player has to qualify for the main draw i.e. is it, for instance, the top 50 players that receive a direct acceptance? Just not sure of the rules - and someone on another thread said the rules had changed - how have they changed?

:)

JBdV
05-12-2007, 06:04 PM
You can find the entry list here:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=99186

The top 45 players in ATP ranking at the time the entry lists are made are in directly, and there is also a list of alternates. The highest alternate gets in every time a player from the top 45 pulls out from the event. Unfortunately Seb was way down on the list. The change that was made is that only 56 players are in the draw this year compared to 64, so that the top 8 seeds have byes...

aliasthad
05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks!!! :yeah:

Julio
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Grosjean a été battu par Simone Bolelli au second tour des qualifications :

S. Bolelli (ITA) def. S. Grosjean (FRA) 7-6(7), 2-6 and 7-6(4).

:(

Truc
05-14-2007, 07:21 AM
I know it's disappointing, but I was in Hamburg for the qualiying, I was Seb's matches and they were great, they were my personal highlights of the week-end (together with the match Serra-Horna). People were supporting him a lot, the crowd was totally into his matches, it didn't feel at all like a qualifying match. He made the :yeah: sign to the crowd when he left the court yesterday, he probably was very disappointed, but I don't think it was an entirely negative experience for him, it wasn't a dull defeat in an anonymous qualifying match.

I'll post more later, I don't have much time right now.

Truc
05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
The match against Gulbis was great, I had already seen Gulbis before and I knew he is very talented, and he gave Seb a hard time indeed. But it was a very enjoyable match, with tons of great points and fun dropshots from both players, the crowd loved it.
Gulbis even was leading with a break in the 2nd set, it was looking bad for Seb, but his experience really prevailed in that match and Gulbis couldn't get over his missed chances then. By far the best match of the 1st day for me.

I thought it would be the same story with Bolelli who had been playing well lately, so I also expected a tough match for Seb, but thought it would be a question of experience in the end. Unfortunately, Bolelli really surprised me mentally, he never gave up (unlike Gulbis). A lot of great points too. I see somebody wrote in GM the crowd was loud and that was bothering Seb. It's true Bolelli didn't seem to care at all, while Seb constantly was waiting for people to sit down, but I still think he was rather thankful for the great atmosphere. It must be worse to play a match and nobody cares about it. It was fun to see the German crowd getting so excited for a qualifying match between a Frenchie and an Italian guy. Many players came to watch the match too in the 3rd set, it was THE highlight - not only Frenchies, also Ljubicic, Fish, Vliegen...

So he played pretty well, it's too bad he had such a tough draw because I saw guys going through the qualies by playing worse than Seb. That's why I really hoped he would get a LL spot, he deserved it after those 2 matches.

Truc
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
And a few pics, first the match against Gulbis, then the training on Sunday morning with Bruno Clément, he was all smile and joking, then the match against Bolelli, he stayed to sign a lot of autographs at the end, he didn't look too frustrated (I guess he was, of course, but he didn't seem too desperate):

grosjeanlol
05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Merci beaucoup !! Thanks a lot !!! I love all your pics.. You were really next to him... What do you think about his shirt? I don't like that colours !! Really if he smiled that's cool.. I hope he will play his tennis at RG because I want to see a fantastic match !! :)

Truc
05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
You were really next to him... That's the great thing with the qualifying because you can sit in the first row or in a players' box! I was sitting next to Bruno (Clément) during the matches and he's constantly encouraging Seb, "Allez Seb!" "Bien servi, ça!" "C'est bien, Seb!" - NON STOP, I was sick of it after a while. :lol:

I thought he looked great in the orange shirt - the weather wasn't so great in Hamburg, as usual, so he was lighting up the atmosphere a little bit!

grosjeanlol
05-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I wish I could hear Bruno.. He's really funny !! That's great to be sitting juste next to him lol...Thanks for telling us about what you saw and heard !

sebabe
05-14-2007, 01:03 PM
:) Can't thank you enough for the info and pictures, it has been so long since I saw any Seb matches that I was beginning to think he was a figment of my imagination albeit a pleasant one!

Hangdog
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
The match against Gulbis was great, I had already seen Gulbis before and I knew he is very talented, and he gave Seb a hard time indeed. But it was a very enjoyable match, with tons of great points and fun dropshots from both players, the crowd loved it.
Gulbis even was leading with a break in the 2nd set, it was looking bad for Seb, but his experience really prevailed in that match and Gulbis couldn't get over his missed chances then. By far the best match of the 1st day for me.

I thought it would be the same story with Bolelli who had been playing well lately, so I also expected a tough match for Seb, but thought it would be a question of experience in the end. Unfortunately, Bolelli really surprised me mentally, he never gave up (unlike Gulbis). A lot of great points too. I see somebody wrote in GM the crowd was loud and that was bothering Seb. It's true Bolelli didn't seem to care at all, while Seb constantly was waiting for people to sit down, but I still think he was rather thankful for the great atmosphere. It must be worse to play a match and nobody cares about it. It was fun to see the German crowd getting so excited for a qualifying match between a Frenchie and an Italian guy. Many players came to watch the match too in the 3rd set, it was THE highlight - not only Frenchies, also Ljubicic, Fish, Vliegen...

So he played pretty well, it's too bad he had such a tough draw because I saw guys going through the qualies by playing worse than Seb. That's why I really hoped he would get a LL spot, he deserved it after those 2 matches.

Your reports are as great as usually :worship: Merci beaucoup!!!! And have a great time at the tournament if you have some other matches to attend.

charlie666
05-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I think he looks way better in his training outfit than he does in that orange shirt ...

Agassi Fan
05-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Grosjean a été battu par Simone Bolelli au second tour des qualifications :

S. Bolelli (ITA) def. S. Grosjean (FRA) 7-6(7), 2-6 and 7-6(4).

:(

:sad:

Manja
05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey there!
Now I am back from a great week in Hamburg.
Seb said it is okay that he lost, he was not that sad. He stayed until Wednesday and watched some matches of the other french guys!
He´s one of my favourite players so I thought I should post here as well.

xx and have fun at Roland Garros
Manja

P.S.: Does anybody know a cheap hostel, hotel or B&B?