--------------------------------------- [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

---------------------------------------

Just Cause
05-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Look, people dont be shocked, but it may happen as soon as next week..

Johnny Groove
05-11-2007, 02:53 AM
No, lets not.

Kolya
05-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Omg...

azmad_88
05-11-2007, 03:11 AM
he will be number 1 back after wimbledon

uglyamerican
05-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Am I missing some math???

Federer had a 19 point lead going into this week. Novak has only made up 10 points so far. Right?

No one else is within 100 points of the top 3. (100 points go to the winner in Rome).

Mimi
05-11-2007, 04:38 AM
can someone explain to me that which is to decide who ends the year as no.1, the ranking points or the racing points :confused: , what if one player ends as no.1 in racing points but no.2 or 3 in ranking points, is he still no.1 :wavey:

Fee
05-11-2007, 04:40 AM
The race doesn't matter. The Ranking system is what is really important.

atheneglaukopis
05-11-2007, 04:43 AM
can someone explain to me that which is to decide who ends the year as no.1, the ranking points or the racing points :confused: , what if one player ends as no.1 in racing points but no.2 or 3 in ranking points, is he still no.1 :wavey:At the end of the year they are the same. :) The race computes from the beginning of the year (January 1) and the entry ranking computes from 52 weeks before. At the end of the year, those two numbers will equal each other. That's why the race becomes more significant as the year goes on.

Mimi
05-11-2007, 04:47 AM
thanks but still don't understand, how would they be the same? i.e. Roger has more than 7,000 ranking points but for racing points, just 300+ :confused:
At the end of the year they are the same. :) The race computes from the beginning of the year (January 1) and the entry ranking computes from 52 weeks before. At the end of the year, those two numbers will equal each other. That's why the race becomes more significant as the year goes on.

uglyamerican
05-11-2007, 05:04 AM
thanks but still don't understand, how would they be the same? i.e. Roger has more than 7,000 ranking points but for racing points, just 300+ :confused:

Just before the end-of-the-year Masters tournament the RACE numbers x5 = the entry numbers, with one exception---challengers and futures don't earn any RACE points.

Mimi
05-11-2007, 05:37 AM
thanks, its a bit complicated for me :o
Just before the end-of-the-year Masters tournament the RACE numbers x5 = the entry numbers, with one exception---challengers and futures don't earn any RACE points.

CmonAussie
05-11-2007, 05:49 AM

:wavey:
Mimi I guess maths is not your strong point [that`s OK]:cool:

*In a nutshell the Race works like this:

Every player began 2007 with `zero` points, therefore theoretically everyone has an equal chance of finishing #1 at the end of the year [of course having a high ranking improves your chances greatly because you get seeded higher & thus get easier draws];)

Nadal is currently above Federer in 2007 race points,~so for FED to finish #1 his performances for the remainder of 2007 have to be relatively better than RAFA`s;)

If both Nadal & Federer`s performances were exactly the same for the remainder of 2007 [purely hypothetical] then Nadal would finish #1 [since he has more points this year so far]..

Of course this being the clay season it is also the time of year that Nadal collects most of his points, & the time of year where Federer tends to struggle.

Even so it`s surprising that FED failed to defend so many points this year [esp. early losses at Indian Wells, Miami & Rome have increased the pressure on him to maintain #1 ranking to years end]..

Because Slams award so many points 200pts & 1000 ranking points]~~ then if FED manages to win both Wimbledon & USO again, while Nadal defends FO >>> the likelyhood is that FED will again finish #1..

This year`s FO & Wimby slams [& FED + Rafa`s relative performances] will most likely decide the Year End #1;)

If Rafa wins both then he`ll surely become #1
If Fed wins both then he`ll surely maintain #1
If Rafa wins FO & makes Wimby final, while Fed wins Wimby & makes FO final ~~>> ie.same as last year, then #1 will probably come down to who gets more points at the USO!!!

In short: FED results this year have not been as good relative to RAFA`s so far, ~~ thus there is a higher possibility than previous years that FED will lose his ranking... Still we all know how strong FED is & there`s a good chance he`ll overcome his confidence crisis to win more big titles in 2007!!

Thankfully the race for #1 is very interesting this year,~~ even Djokovic is an outside chance if he can win one of the remaining Slams:cool:

Mimi
05-11-2007, 05:55 AM
thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, C'mon aussie :D :worship: , yes, maths was the weakness subject for me at school, along with Chemistry, Physics, they are too complicated for my foolish brain :p

Allez
05-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Cheers CmonAussie/ I hope that is clear to anyone who makes the stupid presumption that it is impossible for Nadal or anyone other than Federer to finish the year ranked number 1. It is very possible and as of now very likely too given the terrible slump Rogi's in. I can't remember the last time he struggled like this after Dubai. It'll take a monumental effort to get back up the ranking again.

CmonAussie
05-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Cheers CmonAussie/ I hope that is clear to anyone who makes the stupid presumption that it is impossible for Nadal or anyone other than Federer to finish the year ranked number 1. It is very possible and as of now very likely too given the terrible slump Rogi's in. I can't remember the last time he struggled like this after Dubai. It'll take a monumental effort to get back up the ranking again.

:wavey:
Cheers back at you Allez mate:cool:
Yeah the ATP Race & Rankings is quite simple when you break it down-->> actually unlike many others I find the ATP Race exciting, the only problem was when Yahoo & other sites got the two systems confused in January [thereby making Hrbaty etc. briefly #1 (media journos should be required to pass an IQ test)]:eek:

If RAFA wins FO again & FED crashes out in the 1st or 2nd Round [thus losing his Finalist points from 06] then my gut feeling is that RAFA will nab Year End #1

Also Djokovic`s chances at finishing #1 will start to look good if he can take the FO title:cool:

FED`s still the man to beat, but his security with the #1 spot looks decidedly less sure than during the previous 3-years;)