he could be a great player :p

scarecrows
05-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Bastl did beat Sampras on grass and he wasnt special

Volandri can be a good player on clay and this is no surprise

you are a troll and I dont know why I replied here

FluffyYellowBall
05-10-2007, 05:21 PM
noo hes not. Im even surprised he didnt impres me! Im MUCH more impressed with starace and Bolleli..

guille&tati4life
05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
No, not special, not even close to special.

Black Adam
05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
This probably the biggest day of his nobody career.

Champion number 1
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
noo hes not. Im even surprised he didnt impres me! Im MUCH more impressed with starace and Bolleli..

You can be more impressed with whoever you like. The truth is Volandri has been Italian number 1 for 4 years and reached as high as 28.

I agree the other 2 have more about them though and Bolelli will be something pretty good IMO.

ReturnWinner
05-10-2007, 06:25 PM
today he was, and he got a nice game on clay

FluffyYellowBall
05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
You can be more impressed with whoever you like. The truth is Volandri has been Italian number 1 for 4 years and reached as high as 28.

I agree the other 2 have more about them though and Bolelli will be something pretty good IMO.

I still enjoyed staraces run way more but Im reeaaally looking foreward to Bolelli making a breakthough. Not top ten material from what hes shown but hes a different man from wha ive seen last year isnt he..

tennis2tennis
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
The way federer played today my arthritis-ridden grandma could have beaten him

Champion number 1
05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I still enjoyed staraces run way more but Im reeaaally looking foreward to Bolelli making a breakthough. Not top ten material from what hes shown but hes a different man from wha ive seen last year isnt he..

Bolelli will be a top 50 player for sure as long as he gets no big injuries. Top 10 is maybe a stretch too far and us Italians are still waiting for that truly special player, but at least we have 2 or 3 competitive ones now (especially on clay and Bracciali on grass)

You enjoyed Starace's run? He did indeed beat Calleri and Ferrero, 2 class clay courters and then ran Davydenko close. However you cant under estimate Volandri who defeated Gasquet in a tight match and beat the World Number 1 Federer.

Champion number 1
05-10-2007, 09:29 PM
A list of Volandri's best ever results

Monte Carlo 2003 2nd round - def. Nalbandian 62 76 and reached the QF

Rome Masters 2003 - Reached the QF defeating Massu, Sluiter and Stepanek in the previous rounds

Stuttgart 03 - Def. Grosjean in second round 62 61 and then defeated Davydenko in third round 63 36 61 (lost to Robredo in QF)

Umag 03 - Def. Gonzalez in QF 46 62 76, lost to Moya in final

St Poelten 2004 - Def Malisse to win first ATP title 61 64

Umag 04 - Def Moya in SF 63 62, but lost to Canas in final

Palermo 04 - Def. Massu in QF on the way to final before losing to Berdych

Moscow 04 - Def. Soderling on Carpet in 1st round, probably his best to win to date and only one on clay :D

Monte Carlo 05 - Def. Canas in 2nd round on the way to reaching QF (lost to Ferrero)

Hamburg 05 - Def. Almagro, F. Lopez and Grosjean before losing in QF to Davydenko

Umag 05 - Def Robredo in QF, but lost to Coria in 3 in SF

Palermo 05 - Def. Massu and Robredo to once again reach final, but lost to Andreev

Doha 06 - Def. Davydenko in QF on a hard court before losing to Monfils

Buenos Aires 06 - Def. Calleri on the way to final, but lost to Moya

Bucharest 06 - Def Moya on the way to final, but lost to Melzer

Palermo 06 - Won tournament with win against lapentti infinal, also def. Almagro in SF

Roma 07 - Def. Gasquet and Federer on the way to QF :)

Bruno71
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Moscow 04 - Def. Soderling on Carpet in 1st round, probably his best to win to date and only one on clay :D

His best win was against Soderling on "carpet-clay"?:confused:

Champion number 1
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Eh typo... :)

r2473
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I just talked to his Mom and she said that he is a special boy.

El Legenda
05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Volandri sucks

sodman12
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Volandri sucks

There always has to be a negative nancy.

RickDaStick
05-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Volandri is the owner of a 15-54 record away from clay. Now that is very special. Not too many guys can top that.

Champion number 1
05-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Volandri is the owner of a 15-54 record away from clay. Now that is very special. Not too many guys can top that.

:worship:

His serve obviously is the main cause of that as I saw him at Wimbledon 3 years ago (admittedly against an average Jamie Delgado) and Volandri ripped him apart from the baseline and also decent volleying... however Volandri's serve just gets eaten alive on the faster courts where he has little time to react. Also Volandri is a great returner on clay, but less so on other courts. Best performance Ive seen from Volandri outside of clay was against Kiefer in AO round 1 and also Ferrero in AO round 2 I think it was in 2005, but might be wrong, could have been 04.

Scotso
05-10-2007, 11:55 PM
He's a solid player who can play inspired tennis in front of his home crowd.

njnetswill
05-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I really don't understand how a player can be this good on clay and suck so badly on other surfaces. It can't just be his serve can it? Coria played relatively well on faster surfaces.

switz
05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
The huge weaknesses in Volandri's game can't be exploited on clay like they can and are exploited on every other surface. In the men's game you simply can't get away with his serve on anything but clay.

He's top 25 on clay and probably below 75 on hard and hence his ranking. A few big results like this one accounts for the times he has been ranked around 30.

~EMiLiTA~
05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Volandri is underrated on clay...but i wasn't expecting him to beat Federer this easily

switz
05-11-2007, 01:02 AM
I really don't understand how a player can be this good on clay and suck so badly on other surfaces. It can't just be his serve can it? Coria played relatively well on faster surfaces.

Coria game had a lot more to it than Volandri's did. Whilst his serve become a huge weakness after his shoulder problems it was actually a pretty good server prior to that. He was also the fastest player on tour and had groundies that still had a lot of pop on them.

Aside from his backhand Volandri's game is just technically horrible. It works on clay but he can't adjust on other surfaces easily.

Having said that he's not thaaat bad on hard courts.

oscar_2424
05-11-2007, 01:17 AM
i mean he just beated the world number one :D :shrug:
he could be a great player :p

No,he jsut had the best day of his life.

Kolya
05-11-2007, 02:07 AM
He's just a tennis player, maybe a one hit wonder.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Pippo is great on clay

but seeing the match even Bilbo's grandma would have a chance to win over this Fed :devil:

VolandriFan
05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
He has some of the best defence and is one of the best claycourters going around. Amazing timing and precision on his backhand, he has good topspin on his forehand and some good touch when he needs it. It's true, his serve won't win any free points, but he can kick it very well and his second serve is not a liability because it's not much slower than his first delivery. Also factor in that he's lightning quick around the court, and you can't say he's not a decent player.

During his career he has let nerves get in the way, especially in the latter stages of tournaments, but I believe Filippo did not reach his peak at world number 28 and that he can still crack the top 20.

Medina
05-11-2007, 10:34 AM
zhis a good player, its the fedtards that can take that he lost. federer was doing errors, but not excesivly. So what the big deal Yes Volandri "beat" federer. There always seems to be an excuse for the Its not like his not going to win. God!!!!!!!!!!

Sunset of Age
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
zhis a good player, its the fedtards that can take that he lost. federer was doing errors, but not excesivly. So what the big deal Yes Volandri "beat" federer. There always seems to be an excuse for the Its not like his not going to win. God!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? Did I see the same match as you did? Fed literally sprayed UEs all over the court!

Volandri is an okay player, underrated on clay - but nothing special.
He'll get beated up by Tomás today. ;)

Champion number 1
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
He has some of the best defence and is one of the best claycourters going around. Amazing timing and precision on his backhand, he has good topspin on his forehand and some good touch when he needs it. It's true, his serve won't win any free points, but he can kick it very well and his second serve is not a liability because it's not much slower than his first delivery. Also factor in that he's lightning quick around the court, and you can't say he's not a decent player.

During his career he has let nerves get in the way, especially in the latter stages of tournaments, but I believe Filippo did not reach his peak at world number 28 and that he can still crack the top 20.

Also Filo has had some injuries in his career at the wrong times (French Open 3rd round was an example).

Frederick16
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
filo is great!!!!!! he could have been in the final against nadal the first time he won!!

Jevel
05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
He's a nice player, but I think he's benefitted quite a bit from the crowd this week.

Pfloyd
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
The routine aspect of MTF is hilarious.

Everytime Nadal, or Federer losses versus a inferior player. that inferior player is elevated to god-like status.

Watch any instance of the match, and you will see that Federer, was simply abysmal on that match.

One need not look more into this.

Frooty_Bazooty
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
filippo's backhand is a dream, reminds me of what Gaston's used to be like :o

nolop
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
told ya
:nerner:

pascal'rG
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
He's a nice player, but I think he's benefitted quite a bit from the crowd this week.

I don't really think he's nice :rolleyes:

He plays great on this tournament and it's very goof for him and for the crowd but his behavior in the match versus gasquet was very bad.

In the tie-break when gasquet was leading 4-1, he played a nice winning forehand which was called out. Gasquet ask the umpire to go see by himself but the umpire didn't want to go and Volandri said that the ball was out even if it was very clear that it was in :mad:

Gasquet said he was very angry and will not forget Volandri :devil:

So he played well but he's not really "nice" :rolleyes:

Gasquet's interview (in french) : http://www.lematin.ch/pages/home/sports/tennis/sports_tennis__1?contenu=256993

Sunset of Age
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I stand corrected. Heh.

Tomy
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Well well well... he did beat Berdych today... another tottally unexpected win. I mean, nobody can doubt that been home is giving Volandri a huuuuge help, but I do agree he is underrated. I mean, c'mon, its not that he only beated Federer... he defeated Gasquet and Berdych aswell! I'm not saying he is the next Sampras or that he'll ever reach top 10, but he showed most of us that he can play on clay. I hope he can reach the final against Rafa. It is quite obvious that Rafa will win there, but it could get exiting with all the stadium cheering for Filippo.

Maria Giulia
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Italian mafia is threatening Volandri's opponents' families. You know, the godfather's brother bet millions on Volandri, and they can not risk to lose.

:haha: Just joking... seriously, I'm very happy for him and also for italian tennis - it's probably the first time after 29 years that tennis is on italian tv news :rolleyes: - but sincerely I don't know if he can keep this level for long. I mean, he's greatly supported by the crowd and let's say that, yes, he played very good tennis but his opponents were not at their best... I mean, maybe this is his moment and next week - or whenever he plays - he will lose to an unknown top 200. We'll see :) anyway...thanks Filo for now:worship: ;)

almouchie
05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
good or bad
or average
Volandri has down what only a handful have done in the past 2 years
played a great match & defeated Federer
only players with big futures have managed to oust Federer & early in the rounds, Henman aside, only Nadal has managed to beat him in finals
so could this be a sign or simply a blip for Federer
should give other players more glimpse of hope playing the swiss next time

Champion number 1
05-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Well very rarely has Volandri produced his best tennis in the big tournaments... he is playing the type of tennis here that I saw him play when he beat many of the top players in the past. IMO Volandri is under-rated on clay although shouldnt get over-rated too soon as he no doubt will now. He is a fairly consistent clay court player and thats it, although Ive seen people say he sucks and now people say he is a top 10 player in the making. Neither is true.

TMJordan
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I love his emotion :D

scarecrows
05-11-2007, 11:41 PM

In the tie-break when gasquet was leading 4-1, he played a nice winning forehand which was called out. Gasquet ask the umpire to go see by himself but the umpire didn't want to go and Volandri said that the ball was out even if it was very clear that it was in :mad:

wrong

he didnt ask the umpire to go and see

if he had done that the umpire would have been kinda obliged to go and see, he just looked at the umpire and didnt say anything

Champion number 1
05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Actually what happened was Volandri completely ignored it and just went with the call... the umpire nodded at the line judge to confirm he also saw it as out... Gasquet then thought there was no point in contesting if umpire also felt it was out so didnt ask for a check... then in the end when he walked over he realised it was in, but Filo shouldnt get any blame... mainly the umpire fault I felt.

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 07:00 AM
As much as I love Robredo, I think it's fair to say that Filippo has just as much of a shot at reaching the top 10 if Tommy did it. They have similar ability, only Tommy's FH is the strong link, BH for Filippo. They both have their moments on the other stroke too.

People don't just have a run like this where they beat 3 top 20 players consecutively, just from each player being bad. It doesn't matter how shit Federer was playing, most players still don't have the mental capacity to close him out.

The_Nadal_effect
05-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Volandri is on a roll...like Gonzo at AO this year and Baggy last year.

sunsfuns
05-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Volandri did really well this tournament and let's congratulate him for it. May be he beats Gonzo tomorow as well, but regardless of that result he is likely to dissapear into relative obscurity once this week is over...

And I wouldn't read too much into his victory over Fed - Roger hasn't been playing to his usual standard for quite a while...

Champion number 1
05-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Volandri did really well this tournament and let's congratulate him for it. May be he beats Gonzo tomorow as well, but regardless of that result he is likely to dissapear into relative obscurity once this week is over...

And I wouldn't read too much into his victory over Fed - Roger hasn't been playing to his usual standard for quite a while...

Many people have said this yet only 2 people have beaten Fed this year before Volandri so Filo must have done something right even if Fed was going wrong.

Frederick16
05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Many people have said this yet only 2 people have beaten Fed this year before Volandri so Filo must have done something right even if Fed was going wrong.

so right!!!

i still think that when he had didn't had this match

R32 Acasuso, Jose (ARG) 62 0-3 RET

at roland garros 2005 he could have gone very far then i saw his first 2 matches then and he was really good!

scarecrows
05-12-2007, 08:48 AM
so right!!!

i still think that when he had didn't had this match

R32 Acasuso, Jose (ARG) 62 0-3 RET

at roland garros 2005 he could have gone very far then i saw his first 2 matches then and he was really good!

true, he was in great form back then making quarters in MC and Hamburg but got sick and had to retire there

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Volandri is special :drool:

Action Jackson
05-12-2007, 09:04 AM
As much as I love Robredo, I think it's fair to say that Filippo has just as much of a shot at reaching the top 10 if Tommy did it. They have similar ability, only Tommy's FH is the strong link, BH for Filippo. They both have their moments on the other stroke too.

People don't just have a run like this where they beat 3 top 20 players consecutively, just from each player being bad. It doesn't matter how shit Federer was playing, most players still don't have the mental capacity to close him out.

Volandri a shot making the top 10, please that's over the top. What is he going to win Rome, make the final of Hamburg and the final of RG?

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Volandri a shot making the top 10, please that's over the top. What is he going to win Rome, make the final of Hamburg and the final of RG?

I never said this season.

Anyway, as it is, his career has panned out in a way that it isn't likely. That doesn't mean he's not capable of doing it though. If he can make the most of the clay tournaments like Gaston managed to in 2006, it's quite possible.

Action Jackson
05-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I never said this season.

Anyway, as it is, his career has panned out in a way that it isn't likely. That doesn't mean he's not capable of doing it though. If he can make the most of the clay tournaments like Gaston managed to in 2006, it's quite possible.

So you are going to overrate Volandri are we?

SwiSha
05-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Volandri can play on clay we all know that, what funny is that he makes the SF in Rome "fans" sign up on mtf and say he can make the Top 10 ...hilarious

Action Jackson
05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Volandri can play on clay we all know that, what funny is that he makes the SF in Rome "fans" sign up on mtf and say he can make the Top 10 ...hilarious

See, this is why we have the Bandwagon Player of the Month award.

SwiSha
05-12-2007, 09:29 AM
See, this is why we have the Bandwagon Player of the Month award.

:lol: true ;)

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:31 AM
So you are going to overrate Volandri are we?

I'm not overrating him. Many good claycourters who are mediocre on most other surfaces have made the top 10 before him. If he can maintain this form consistently, he's already half way there.

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Why don't you go and check my registration date before making a judgement :wavey:

Action Jackson
05-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm not overrating him. Many good claycourters who are mediocre on most other surfaces have made the top 10 before him. If he can maintain this form consistently, he's already half way there.

Robredo has made QFs at TMS events and Gaudio has done that, this is something Volandri hasn't done and not likely to do, then he has to win of the big clay events.

Champion number 1 got this right.

Volandri is under-rated on clay although shouldnt get over-rated too soon as he no doubt will now. He is a fairly consistent clay court player and thats it, although Ive seen people say he sucks and now people say he is a top 10 player in the making. Neither is true.

Thanks for the commonsense.

scarecrows
05-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Why don't you go and check my registration date before making a judgement :wavey:

may2007 :shrug:

SwiSha
05-12-2007, 09:40 AM
it says May 2007 :retard:
whatever i can't really help you if you think that Volandri is capable of making the TOP 10 and to compare him to Robredo is just :retard: , Pipos results on other surfaces? on TMS events? Grand Slams?

besides he will not get as much support from the crowd all the time, he is a claycourter and always will be

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Robredo has made QFs at TMS events and Gaudio has done that, this is something Volandri hasn't done and not likely to do, then he has to win of the big clay events.

Champion number 1 got this right.

Thanks for the commonsense.

Well I'd like to get this straight, because I don't want to be known as the person who predicted Volandri would become a top 10 player. :rolleyes:

I said "he has just as much of a shot at making the top 10 if Tommy did it". Meaning that in my opinion their abilities as tennis players are on a par with each other. Tommy capitolised on what he was given, Filippo has not done so yet.

Because Filippo is already at an age where he should have passed his peak, I don't think he will crack the top 10 in his career. If he wasn't so misfortunate with injuries and held his nerve better on the big stage, he would have been good for at least a couple of months in the top 10. I understand that these are all "what ifs", but this is what was intended by the original post.

Perhaps I should have worded the original post better, keeping in mind that some posters would jump on me like a pack of wolves.

VolandriFan
05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
it says May 2007 :retard:
whatever i can't really help you if you think that Volandri is capable of making the TOP 10 and to compare him to Robredo is just :retard: , Pipos results on other surfaces? on TMS events? Grand Slams?

besides he will not get as much support from the crowd all the time, he is a claycourter and always will be

Oh my goodness, how dense can people be. Click on my user profile and it has a field for date of registration. In case you have trouble getting there, the date is 04-05-2007. At least 4 days before Volandri beat Federer, and before he beat Gasquet too. I've been a fan of Filippo for a long time. :)