Nestor and Knowles split up

Lee
05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=207237&hubname=

Report: Nestor and Knowles split up

TSN.ca Staff

5/10/2007 2:43:52 AM

Even the strongest tandems go their separate ways eventually.

According to the Globe and Mail, the doubles team of Daniel Nestor and Mark Knowles have gone their separate ways on the suggestion of the Canadian. Nestor will team up with Serbian Nenad Zimonjic in time for Wimbledon next month.

''It was a very difficult decision, especially when we're such good friends,'' Nestortold the newspaper. ''It's not something I felt good about and that made it that much harder. But we're not jelling as well as we did, even in the matches we win.''

Nestor, who first paired up with Knowles in 1994, mentioned the idea to his partner last month after they lost in the quarterfinals at an event in Barcelona.

''It was very unexpected,'' Knowles told the Globe and Mail. ''We're No. 3 in the 2007 team standings and it's in the middle of the year. It's a little unprofessional, but it won't diminish what we've accomplished together.''

The dynamic duo of Nestor and Knowles won 37 doubles titles, including the 2002 Australian Open and 2004 U.S. Open.

Andre♥
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Nestor will team up with Serbian Nenad Zimonjic in time for Wimbledon next month.

So, Zimonjic and Santoro are splitting up too? :eek: :eek: :eek:

W!MBLEDON
05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
lol, what if Santoro joins up with Knowles :lol:

Björki
05-10-2007, 05:48 PM
what is with Knowles :confused:

Lee
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
what is with Knowles :confused:

I don't know what's wrong with Knowles this year but his played is sooooo not top doubles player like. :(

Byrd
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Domestic argument, I heard knowles left the toilet seat up.

mangoes
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I hope they had a pre-nup. :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

smucav
05-10-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070509.wspttebbutt9/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/homePOSTED ON: 09/05/07
Nestor pulls plug on 13-year partnership with Knowles
TOM TEBBUTT
From Thursday's Globe and Mail

ROME — The oldest doubles partnership in men's tennis is coming to an end.

Two weeks ago, Daniel Nestor informed his long-standing right-court mate, Mark Knowles, that he felt they should split and that he would be joining forces with Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia after Wimbledon in July.

Nestor, from Toronto, and Knowles, from the Bahamas, first played together in 1994 in Bogota. Knowles had approached Nestor about teaming up, informing the Canadian that he was in the Colombian event. (Nestor was unaware of that fact because his father, Ray, had entered him in the tournament.)

They won the Bogota event and went on to win 37 titles in all, including Grand Slam victories at the 2002 Australian Open and 2004 U.S. Open.

Either co-ranked or separately, Knowles was No. 1 in the men's ATP individual doubles rankings for a total of 65 weeks, while Nestor held the top spot for 40 weeks. Their career record is 441-172 and they have earned more than $2.01-million (U.S.) each while playing together.

Nestor broached the subject of ending their association last month after the Barcelona event, where they were upset in the quarter-finals by Spaniards Rafael Nadal and Bartolome Salva-Vidal.

"It was a very difficult decision, especially when we're such good friends," said Nestor, who has a residence in the Bahamas as well as Toronto. "It's not something I felt good about and that made it that much harder. But we're not jelling as well as we did, even in the matches we win."

Knowles was caught by surprise.

"It was very unexpected," he said yesterday. "We're No. 3 [in the 2007 team standings] and it's in the middle of the year. It's a little unprofessional, but it won't diminish what we've accomplished together.

"I still respect our relationship and if it's something Dan is passionate about, I'm old enough to accept that."

Knowles will turn 36 on Sept. 4, the same day Nestor will turn 35.

"We're getting older," Nestor said, "and the serve is more important in doubles, especially with the new scoring [a 10-point match tiebreaker instead of a third set at non-Grand Slam events]. Mark and I aren't getting as many free points with our serves, and that adds a lot of pressure."

Nestor, co-ranked No. 8 with Knowles, will team up Zimonjic, 30, with whom he shares Serbian heritage. Zimonjic, co-ranked No. 11, is athletic and possesses a big serve. He will end his regular partnership with Fabrice Santoro of France.

"As you get older," Nestor said, "it makes sense to play with someone younger. Also, Mark and I have struggled at the Grand Slams since the 2004 U.S. Open and I think I'll have a better chance with Nenad."

As a team, Nestor and Knowles are 22-11 in 2007 and have reached finals at events in Houston and Marseilles, France. But since Flushing Meadows in 2004, their best finishes are two semi-finals in their past eight Grand Slam appearances.

They played together almost their entire careers, except for 2000, when Nestor teamed with Sébastien Lareau of Montreal in a successful bid to win the gold medal for Canada at the Sydney Olympics. Nestor also played part of 2001 with Sandon Stolle of Australia before reuniting with Knowles in 2002.

For the moment, Knowles has no new partner in sight.

"It's hard for me to find someone, being from the Bahamas," he said. "It was easier for Dan, who has a Serbian part to him, to find a guy like Zimonjic."

Maintaining a sense of humour, Knowles added, "Maybe I should get [the long-retired] Lareau to come back."

Last night at the Italian Open, fourth seeds and defending champions Nestor and Knowles had a successful start to the final phase of their partnership, playing impressively and beating Australians Lleyton Hewitt and Todd Perry 6-3, 6-4.

Mistaflava
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
about damn time Nestor gets rid of the trash from down under...

Mistaflava
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
So, Zimonjic and Santoro are splitting up too? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zimonjic and Nestor are the new team starting at Wimbledon

historystupid
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, anything can happen in doubles partner choice. Maybe that's why Mike and Bob are so good because they know that nothing can seperate them from each other, while other players have to keep considering all the possibilities.

Björki
05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
about damn time Nestor gets rid of the trash from down under...

:rolleyes:

Andre♥
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Zimonjic and Nestor are the new team starting at Wimbledon

Stupid decision. Zimonjic matches incredibly well with Santoro!

Santoro is one of the best doubles players right now. Better than Nestor.

Can Santoro and Llodra get together again?

Andre♥
05-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, anything can happen in doubles partner choice. Maybe that's why Mike and Bob are so good because they know that nothing can seperate them from each other, while other players have to keep considering all the possibilities.

This was the reason why the Woods did so well in the 90's...

El Legenda
05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Jim Thomas is off the market, Ljubicic picked him up :lol:

Burrow
05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Nestor is still playing well whereas Knowles has definately peaked its a good move for Nestor if you ask me.

binkygirl
05-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't know what's wrong with Knowles this year but his played is sooooo not top doubles player like. :(

Knowles has been out there on the circuit for a long time. I guess he's late 30s now and most players get slower with age. He was one of the best UCLA players to hit it big on the circuit along with Sanguinetti.

jazar
05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
shocking stuff

Volcanic Tennis
05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I hope Nestor can find a new success ;)

Snowwy
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Theyve been struggling this year but were still 3rd in the ATP race ABOVE Miryni and Bjorkman so they werent doing THAT bad.

Still I like this move, now Nestor can compete the slam ;)

Scotso
05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Santoro is one of the best doubles players right now. Better than Nestor.

No.

Scotso
05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
This kind of pisses me off. I really liked this team, but it seems to me like Nestor is just grouchy they aren't winning everything, so he dumped his doubles partner of so many years just like that. :o That's pretty selfish and snotty, to me.

Good luck, Mark, I hope you find a great partner.

alfonsojose
05-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Did they split off court too :sad: ?

~EMiLiTA~
05-11-2007, 01:59 AM
wow wasn't expecting that

Sofyaxo
05-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Aww they broke up :sad:

Lee
05-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Did they split off court too :sad: ?

Well, Nestor resumes his Canadian citizenship in Roma after Monte Carlo. :p

Lee
05-11-2007, 02:37 AM
This kind of pisses me off. I really liked this team, but it seems to me like Nestor is just grouchy they aren't winning everything, so he dumped his doubles partner of so many years just like that. :o That's pretty selfish and snotty, to me.

I have the same feeling in the beginning. But when I think about Nestor is going to be 35 in September and time is running out for him.

I believe it's very hard for him too.

neenah
05-11-2007, 02:38 AM
I was a fan of this team so I'm sad to hear this news. I'm just assuming that what they're doing is for the better, though.

CooCooCachoo
05-11-2007, 06:54 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story/?ID=207237&hubname=

Report: Nestor and Knowles split up

TSN.ca Staff

5/10/2007 2:43:52 AM

Even the strongest tandems go their separate ways eventually.

According to the Globe and Mail, the doubles team of Daniel Nestor and Mark Knowles have gone their separate ways on the suggestion of the Canadian. Nestor will team up with Serbian Nenad Zimonjic in time for Wimbledon next month.

''It was a very difficult decision, especially when we're such good friends,'' Nestortold the newspaper. ''It's not something I felt good about and that made it that much harder. But we're not jelling as well as we did, even in the matches we win.''

Nestor, who first paired up with Knowles in 1994, mentioned the idea to his partner last month after they lost in the quarterfinals at an event in Barcelona.

''It was very unexpected,'' Knowles told the Globe and Mail. ''We're No. 3 in the 2007 team standings and it's in the middle of the year. It's a little unprofessional, but it won't diminish what we've accomplished together.''

The dynamic duo of Nestor and Knowles won 37 doubles titles, including the 2002 Australian Open and 2004 U.S. Open.

:eek: :eek: I must say I prefer Nestor/Zimonjic, but Mark is right. It is unprofessional. I really like the team and I wish Mark the best of luck in finding a new partner.

CooCooCachoo
05-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Jim Thomas is off the market, Ljubicic picked him up :lol:

I somehow doubt Mark was going to go for him.

I hope Mark decides to play with someone like Cibulec.

Medina
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
:sad:

johnnylad
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Jamie Delgado needs a partner!

Jevel
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
shame, they're were such a good team.

Burrow
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Thats purely on presumtion.

GermanBoy
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Knowles has been out there on the circuit for a long time. I guess he's late 30s now and most players get slower with age.

The same stupid argument Hingis used to get rid of Novotna and team up with Kournikova. Not that I sympathise with Novotna after all she did to split up with Sukova and G. Fernandez. Why does age always has to be negative?

I want Mark to find a good partner and that quickly. Maybe Bhupathi wouldn't be too bad. The problem is that I want Mark to win slams again or be precise want him to still be within this group of teams who could win a slam. Therefore he needs a good and solid partner.

Mark Knowles/Max Mirnyi would be great! :D

ReturnWinner
05-17-2007, 03:55 PM
my fav team :(

valexie03
05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
A pure business decision :( . One day, Zimoncij will dump Nestor because he's too old! :rolleyes: I don't understand why Zimoncij agreed to leave Santoro!:confused:

scoobs
05-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Find it very odd that they're splitting up, it's been announced, yet they're still playing together right at this m oment, even if they are being trashed by Blake and Fish

Scotso
05-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Thats purely on presumtion.

Read the article.

tennisgal_001
05-17-2007, 07:25 PM
A pure business decision :( . One day, Zimoncij will dump Nestor because he's too old! :rolleyes: I don't understand why Zimoncij agreed to leave Santoro!:confused:

Exactly. What will come of Santoro now? And why have they (San/Zim) not issued a statement yet regarding their split?

Yonge
05-18-2007, 12:10 AM
This team has been my favourite for years and I'm really sad to see them split-up again! I am excited for Dan and Nenad though!

I think Mark will play well with a partner like Michael Llodra (left-handed, just like Dan) or Jamie Murray.

d_s
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
:sad:
Hopefully Daniel will start having better results with Zimonjic

martinatreue
05-18-2007, 02:39 AM
Oh well Mark Knowles is still an extremely sexy daddy. GRRR. Woof! Nestor is ugly as a Geico caveman.

NicolasKiefer44
05-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Nestor comes off as unprofessional and a crybaby. It appears that Mark did not see this move coming for the most part. Mark will pick up a new partner, I just hope it is a partner that is worthy of him. Mark is an incredible player.

This breakup saddens me. I have spent many years following them as a team, and it has been a fantastic time.

I have met them many, many times, and Mark has been the one to speak with me, look at me, and carry an actual conversation. Nestor has always been dismissive. I wish Mark the best.

Scotso
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes, Mark is a really great guy. :yeah:

tennisgal_001
06-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks like someone is having second thoughts (http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/doubles/news/):

At the Artois Championships in Queen's, Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor upset top seeds Bob and Mike Bryan 7-6(4), 7-5 to win their second straight tournament, putting more pressure on Nestor to shelve plans to play with Nenad Zimonjic.

The title run is likely the most unusual of the 39 tournaments Knowles and Nestor have won together. Due to rain and scheduling conflicts, the team needed to win four matches within the space of 24 hours to take the title.

The odyssey began late Saturday afternoon when Knowles and Nestor won their first match of the tournament - which began Wednesday but was postponed due to rain at 6-6 in the first set - against Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut. Knowles and Nestor remained on court and minutes later were in action again against Lleyton Hewitt and Tim Henman, winning that match 6-1, 6-4, finishing just before dark.

On Sunday Knowles and Nestor were at it again at 11.30 am against Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi, defeating the second seeds 7-5, 7-6(4). They then defeated the Bryans in a tense final that featured just one break point - match point on Mike Bryan's serve at 5-6 in the second set. Knowles and Nestor dropped a total of just 11 points on serve during the match.

Nestor had already announced plans to split with his long-time partner after Wimbledon in favor of the big-serving Zimonjic, who currently partners Fabrice Santoro. But after unexpectedly winning Roland Garros last weekend, Nestor said he was now having second thoughts. A second consecutive title - this time over the Stanford ATP Doubles Race leaders, the Bryan brothers - makes it even tougher for Nestor to follow through on his plan to play with Zimonjic.

Knowles and Nestor moved into a tie for fifth place on the list of Open Era doubles teams title leaders by capturing their 39th career title together. By winning the Queen's title they strengthened their hold on second place in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race behind the Bryans.

At Wimbledon Knowles and Nestor will attempt to complete their set of Grand Slam titles.

Nestor: "Our sights are set on Wimbledon, the one title that has eluded us. We'll see what happens after that. Obviously we are playing great, so it doesn't really make sense to stop playing together. I know I made a commitment to someone else after Wimbledon but the great thing is that Zimonjic and Santoro are also playing great, too. So we've got two teams who are in the top four in the world, so I don't think it makes sense to split them up. I'll have to talk to him (Zimonjic) and see what happens."

uNIVERSE mAN
06-17-2007, 11:46 PM
who gives a shit about doubles

sarciness
06-17-2007, 11:48 PM
who gives a shit about doubles

Me and many others. :rolleyes:

Grofica
06-18-2007, 12:00 AM

I think Nenad mentioned somewhere he is splitting because Santoro wants to play more single matches and that they are traveling only to the tournaments where Santoro can get into main draw and Nenad doesn't like that, he wants partner who is completly dedicated to doubles.

Fitz
09-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Mark is playing with Bhupathi this fall but has not decided on a partner for 2007. Will post when the information becomes avaliable to me.

Fee
09-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey Fitz ;)

Congrats on having your site become official! Well deserved. :)

Snowwy
09-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor will play with different partners in the Fall: Knowles will team with India's Mahesh Bhupathi and Nestor with Serbia's Nenad Zimonjic. Knowles and Nestor, who were the No. 2 team in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race after the US Open, will re-unite for the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai in November.

Fitz
10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Hey Fitz ;)

Congrats on having your site become official! Well deserved. :)

Thanks Fee! Finally managed to get back on here. It's going well with the site. Really enjoy working with Mark and Dawn! :D

GermanBoy
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Mark is playing with Bhupathi this fall but has not decided on a partner for 2007. Will post when the information becomes avaliable to me.

How weird to team up again just for the championships... However, I think Bhupathi is very good and decent choice of partner. Hope they both will be very successful. Haven't they played together before even?

Fitz, fabulous homepage. Have just had a look. Unfortunately I don't have much time now, thus I will have to come back.

How lovely are the pics of Mark and Lindsay... :hearts: They would form such a fantastic mixed doubles team...

Two thumbs up from me for the homepage, oh and, Fitz, could you let Mark know, whenever you communicate with him again, that he has fan in Germany... :p

Fitz
10-03-2007, 02:06 AM
How weird to team up again just for the championships... However, I think Bhupathi is very good and decent choice of partner. Hope they both will be very successful. Haven't they played together before even?

Fitz, fabulous homepage. Have just had a look. Unfortunately I don't have much time now, thus I will have to come back.

How lovely are the pics of Mark and Lindsay... :hearts: They would form such a fantastic mixed doubles team...

Two thumbs up from me for the homepage, oh and, Fitz, could you let Mark know, whenever you communicate with him again, that he has fan in Germany... :p

Aww, thank you very much! I try my best to make it look good for Mark and Dawn since they have done a lot for me.

You can post on the guestbook and mention you are from Germany. He obviously reads it as he posted there a few months back! Also, there is a forum where you can post questions you have for Mark and he may select yours for a future mailbag. Glad to hear that Mark has another fan in Germany!