Confidence CRISIS,~ will FED`s poor performances affect 2nd HALF of 2007 too*><*?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Confidence CRISIS,~ will FED`s poor performances affect 2nd HALF of 2007 too*><*??

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
:eek: :eek: :sad:
It`s been a long time since FED strung together so many poor performances like this [2002]:confused:

1. IW AMS: ~lost 2nd Rd to Canas [straight sets]
2. Miami AMS: ~lost 4th Rd to Canas [3-sets]
3. MC AMS: ~lost final to Nadal [straight sets]
4. Rome AMS: ~lost 3rd Rd to Volandri [straght sets]
5. Hamburg???
6. FO???
7. Halle?
8. Wimbledon???
USO series...???

#Has FED`s confidence been shaken to the extent that the 2nd half of 2007 will continue to spring shock losses or will he get his head together & dominate the 2nd half the same way he has for the last 3-years [2004, 2005, 2006]:confused: :confused:

azza
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
You cant beat everyone :) Federer still number 1 in the world i mean

has Australia ever lost a Cricket match?
Has Tiger Woods ever lost a Golf Match
Has Michael (?) Shoemaker every lost a Race

You cant win everything!

bluefork
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I was willing to write the losses to Canas as flukes, but at this point, I'm really starting to doubt Federer. It used to be that when he was playing poorly, he'd find a way to scrape through. Now, when he isn't at his best he just seems to get worse and worse as the matches go on.

He seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence in his shots, and if this is the case, the problem could easily continue into the latter part of the year.

skel1983
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Am doubting Federer bigtime at the moment, i mean has he had mental burnout? There is only so long you can stay at the top, at this moment in time Wimbledon looks hig only certain title for the rest of the season.

BlueSwan
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm afraid. Nothing lasts forever and the way Fed has been playing since IW has been miles from the standards that he has set for himself since 2004. Compare that with the fact that Nadal seems stronger than ever and chances seem quite realistic that Federer will have to give up his #1 ranking in late 2007 or early 2008.

Having the mental edge is everything in the race for #1 with Nadal. Federer doesn't seem to have that edge at the moment. He's still got the talent, of course, but he needs to get his head together.

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Am doubting Federer bigtime at the moment, i mean has he had mental burnout? There is only so long you can stay at the top, at this moment in time Wimbledon looks hig only certain title for the rest of the season.

:wavey:
I`m not so sure you can count WIMBY as another shoe-in win for FED:eek:

*Borg never won another Wimby after 24yrs age:eek:
*McEnroe never won another Wimby after 24yrs age:devil:
*Becker never won onother Wimby after 20yrs age:eek:
All these dominant champions were expected to continue winning on grass but couldn`t maintain their form!!

Jimnik
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I hope so. ;)

Andy to win Wimby. :rocker2:

Mateya
05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
OK guys, if he will loose in 3rd (or whichever) round of Wimbledon, then we can really begin to doubt - but not yet.
He is just sick of clay at the moment (+ possible personal problems) and I understand this crap performance completely.

maria87
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I think since Caņas double win over him, Federer is falling down in confidence...he is not anymore the invencible and players are feeling the same and lose the fear to play against him. Better for the circuit.

maria87
05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
OK guys, if he will loose in 3rd (or whichever) round of Wimbledon, then we can really begin to doubt - but not yet.
He is just sick of clay at the moment (+ possible personal problems) and I understand this crap performance completely.

double win of Caņas over him was on hard, remember? it is not just clay.

Agassi Aces
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I still think Federer will win Wimbledon, but not Hamburg or Roland Garros.

bluefork
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM

Personal problems? Are you just speculating or do you know something?

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I still think Federer will win Wimbledon, but not Hamburg or Roland Garros.

*Considering FED has lost so many points at the last 3/4 AMS events this year,~then he`s going to have to win Wimby!!!... Or Nadal becomeing #1 will surely be inevitable [b4 years end]!!

realtin
05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, losing early in tournaments means a lot less match practice than Fed's used to. It's bound to have an effect on his level of play.

I still can't see him having too many problems on the grass... though (nothing against fed) it would be nice to see a shiny new Wimbledon champion this year :cool:

Kolya
05-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Federer is leaving his A game for Roland Garros :D

cornellboy
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
If Federer only wins Roland Garros and Wimbledon for the rest of the year (or even just Roland Garros!), then I think that's all anyone will care about

sodman12
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I hope so. ;)

Andy to win Wimby. :rocker2:

I'm with you there. Think what that would do for him.:) :) :) :)

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Do you think it`s any coincidence that FED`s form has begun to dip ever since his practice session with Pete Sampras ["i beat him in his back yard"(literally)]!!!

Hard Hitter
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
It's hard to judge... I'm sure he'll pick it up somewhat at Roland Garros.

SBruguera
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I think heīs just becoming a "normal" number #1.
Itīs not normal to lose only 4 or 5 matches a year.
Itīs not normal to have 8370 ranking points (record for the highest ranking points at any time of the year).
Itīs normal to have a bad day.

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Itīs not normal to have 8370 ranking points (record for the highest ranking points at any time of the year).

Fair points:cool:
FED`s perhaps his own worst enemy,~because he`s set the bar so high & had such a dominant run at #1 that many [me included] are still shocked when he doesn`t win a tourney for a couple of months:eek:

...It`s not normal to win 10-Slams + 40-titles in 3.5-years:worship: :angel:

martine2
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Fact that he loses a match now and then doesn't mean he isn't good anymore.
Give him a break. He's only human like anybody else.
He's a good player and he'll be back.

t0x
05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I think our expectations on Federer are very high.

Nadal would be number 1 in most eras... look at his point total.

Federer's point total is nearly impossible to replicate year after year, and I think he knows it. I have a feeling he's just gunna be focusing on the GSs this year.

Having said all that, he he fails to win RG or Wimbers - then he really could be in crisis (in terms of staying undisputed number 1)

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Fact that he loses a match now and then doesn't mean he isn't good anymore. Give him a break. He's only human like anybody else.
He's a good player and he'll be back.

Normally ROGI rebounds well from losses but the fact is he`s last 4-losses have all been bad ones [3 of these were straight set losses where he didn`t put up much of a fight]:eek:

Canas loss at IW was surprising
Canas loss at Miami was disappointing
Nadal loss at Monte Carlo was predictably depressing
Volandri loss at Rome was the knockout punch [identifying confidence crisis]

Fedever
05-11-2007, 06:30 AM
I was willing to write the losses to Canas as flukes, but at this point, I'm really starting to doubt Federer. It used to be that when he was playing poorly, he'd find a way to scrape through. Now, when he isn't at his best he just seems to get worse and worse as the matches go on.

He seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence in his shots, and if this is the case, the problem could easily continue into the latter part of the year.

I have been saying this since Canas. I even posted a thread: "What is wrong with Federer?” I got the typical brush off comments from most people but obviously others agree now. I noticed back then that there was something wrong with him; mental pressure, burnout, whatever. I wish I knew what is was.
Even in Monte Carlo he played poorly. I was surprised he even made it to the finals. I know this is probably (hopefully) just a passing faze, but I hate to see him self destruct like this!

Jevel
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Too early to say. I'm hoping, come time for the French; his play picks up and I think he'll continue to do very well for the rest of the year.

Puschkin
05-11-2007, 01:36 PM
:yeah:

RonE
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Amazing how short some people's memories are.

Just two months ago there were endless threads about Nadal losing his mojo, he won't deend his clay titles, he has passed his peak blah blah blah. Where are these threads now?

Roger will be back.

Kitty de Sade
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Amazing how short some people's memories are.

Just two months ago there were endless threads about Nadal losing his mojo, he won't deend his clay titles, he has passed his peak blah blah blah. Where are these threads now?

Roger will be back.

God bless intelligent comments first thing in the morning. He's going to be just fine- there is no cause for alarm. :)