What the hell is Verkerk doing? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What the hell is Verkerk doing?

Frooty_Bazooty
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Why would someone who at 28 with a 59-63 record and who apart from his RG run was essentially a 40-60 ranked player decide to come back and play only ATP level events only after a 2 and a half year absence :confused:. He hasnt even won a set yet in 6 matches and id hardly say he's been getting bad draws after playing De Voest at home, Brands and a recovering Hanescu :o

Why doesnt he use his protected ranking to get himself seeded in some challangers and build his ranking and confidence up???

I dont understand it, is he a straight sets loser junkie or something? :shrug:

Rome, Italy
Acauso, Jose (ARG)
3-6 5-7

Munich, Germany
Brands, Daniel (GER)
6-7(4) 3-6

ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo, Monaco
Chela, Juan Ignacio (ARG)
5-7 2-6

Houston, TX, U.S.A.
Hanescu, Victor (ROU)
4-6 4-6

ATP Masters Series Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA)
3-6 4-6

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
De Voest, Rik (RSA)
3-6 6-7

Andre♥
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
He can't enter challengers with his PR. His ranking is too high for that.

Frederick16
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
i think it is smarter to use your PR at higher stages and then use your ranking of about 500 to play challengers and then build it up.. at challengers he will get also a lot of WC's so he is not that dumb..

Action Jackson
05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
After RG, he will be back playing Challengers again, what he is doing isn't so stupid.

anon57
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, he's got the protected ranking till RG so he might as wel use it maybe he'll get lucky win a match and then after RG if he really wants to continue with the comeback he''ll probably start playing challengers

Forehander
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
who cares. he's a terrible player. I mean he was able to lose to JFC straight sets on clay... errr I gotta say that was the period of weak tennis back then hey. That was actually the time when I started losing motivation during training in tennis academy till Federer came along :)

Medina
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
After RG, he will be back playing Challengers again, what he is doing isn't so stupid.

I totally agree with you mate. :p

W!MBLEDON
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
i think it is smarter to use your PR at higher stages and then use your ranking of about 500

His current ranking is 892. :help:

CooCooCachoo
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
He has a certain arrogance. I personally believe he thinks he is too good for Challengers.

But, honestly, his scores haven't been bad. I think he can come back to the Top 100 :)

binkygirl
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
What was his injury that kept him away?

Carlita
05-10-2007, 06:25 PM
He has a certain arrogance. I personally believe he thinks he is too good for Challengers.

But, honestly, his scores haven't been bad. I think he can come back to the Top 100 :):scared:Martijn!

I hope he uses up his PR asap....... please.....:tape:

Frooty_Bazooty
05-10-2007, 06:26 PM

I totally agree with you mate. :p

but wouldnt it have made more sense for him to have played some challengers and got some wins/confidence under his belt in his first month back and then go and play Rome (where he has reached the QF in the past( and then be ready to made a good stab at RG? and then after that, refocus on some challengers during the grass season so that he can come back for the european summer clay court swing.

The way he is going now, he will have used up all his proctected ranking tournaments and will be ranked somewhere in the 800's and have no match wins and no confidence!

and then he will have to play challengers solely to be able to qualify for main level events!

CmonAussie
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Financially~ what Verkerk is doing is smart!!!

Even losing Rd1 in AMS events is more lucrative than winning Challengers..

CooCooCachoo
05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
:scared:Martijn!

I hope he uses up his PR asap....... please.....:tape:

I don't like the guy either :p

Klaas_nalbandian
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
What was his injury that kept him away?

mainly his shoulder injury, in his last match in amersfoort were he won against gonzalez he got injuried

Frooty_Bazooty
05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Financially~ what Verkerk is doing is smart!!!

Even losing Rd1 in AMS events is more lucrative than winning Challengers..

only in the short run. as soon as he loses his protected ranking, it will be a long time before he is able to play a big money main draw events which means he's gonna be earning shitty challenger money for a loooooooooooong time