How many current players would be top 10 in Agassi/Samprass era? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many current players would be top 10 in Agassi/Samprass era?

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I believe only Nadal and Djokovic would be top 10 in the previous era.

Federer would barely win as men back then had guts (weren't the choking whining Fed worshippers they are now)

Roger The Great
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I believe only Nadal and Djokovic would be top 10 in the previous era.

Federer would barely win as men back then had guts (weren't the choking whining Fed worshippers they are now)

Good post, troll. Let's see who bites.

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Honest question. Not trolling.

Federer can't beat fighters (Nadal, Canas) and the 90s were known for players with guts and heart.

sodman12
05-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Another Gypsy post.

Roger The Great
05-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Federer can't beat fighters (Nadal, Canas) and the 90s were known for players with guts and heart.

Have you ever considered the fact that it's their games which bother Fed?

I know you're obsessed with heart, guts, and the spartan stuff but for the millionth time, it's match-ups that drive tennis. Perfect example is Lleyton. Lleyton had Roger's number but eventually Fed just found too much game for him. Lleyton didn't one day just decide to roll over for him. Fed has earned his reputation and his wins.

To seriously answer the question? I'm not of the opinion as some others are that the 90's players were so much deeper in talent. It's the same old story... If Fed didn't exist, several players would have multiple slams and we'd likely be talking about how great this generation is.

I'd say Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic of today are definite top 10 in any year of the 90's. Roddick and Murray of today would likely be in and out. A couple of years ago, Hewitt, Safin, and Kuerten would have also been regular top 10 players in the 90's. Tennis players continue to evolve with the times, not regress.

Snowwy
05-09-2007, 11:42 PM
So Nadal cant be the terrible Federer on grass or hardcourt but he could be the likes of Sampras, Becker, Goran, Michael Chang and such?

krakenzero
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
1998 end year's ranking:

1 Sampras, Pete USA 0 3915
2 Rios, Marcelo CHI 8 3670
3 Corretja, Alex ESP 9 3398
4 Rafter, Patrick AUS -2 3315
5 Moya, Carlos ESP 2 3159
6 Agassi, Andre USA 116 2879
7 Henman, Tim GBR 10 2620
8 Kucera, Karol SLV 16 2579
9 Rusedski, Greg GBR -3 2573
10 Krajicek, Richard NED 1 2548

Nowadays:

1 Federer 7,015
2 Nadal 4,380
3 Roddick 2,860
4 Davydenko 2,735
5 Djokovic 2,615
6 Robredo 2,475
7 Gonzalez 2,415
8 Ljubicic 2,220
9 Blake J 2,180
10 Murray 2,120

So Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Davydenko and Djokovic. Period:p :rolleyes: .

mashamaniac
05-09-2007, 11:56 PM
not nole...only rafa and fed!

sykotique
05-10-2007, 02:27 AM
not nole...only rafa and fed!

Djokovic is quite capable of being top 10 in most eras. Whether or not he can maintain his run given his relative youth is another matter. But he obviously has more than enough time to develop and he has the right attitude (in terms of winning).

Nadal would probably be top 10, but I think clay points would be scarcer to come by. However, he'd probably get more points on hardcourt, given the number of players who rely on power these days.

Federer would be top 10 most definitely, top 3 more than likely, and possibly even #1, considering his acumen on all surfaces. Pete would definitely hold his own on grass and some hardcourts, but I think Fed's acquisition of points across the board would push him over. However, he'd probably get less clay points and less grass points as well, though not by much. Would probably dominate hardcourts though.

Roddick would probably be there or there abouts. Don't underestimate how much the faster conditions would help his huge serve. Certainly helped Goran.

RickDaStick
05-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Ljubo would be there. The courts were much faster at that time and his serve would be unreturnable on fast indoor courts they had at that time.

sykotique
05-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Ljubo would be there. The courts were much faster at that time and his serve would be unreturnable on fast indoor courts they had at that time.

Don't think his defective movement might also suffer from the faster conditions?

Forehander
05-10-2007, 03:06 AM
roflmao Federer not in the top 10. I think you're very lost in terms of how to watch tennis lol. I'll play this game with you after I finish drinking my tequilas and vodkas. Cheers man! =D

Lillith
05-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Are you 12? Have you watched tennis for a grand total of 5 minutes or something?

The players of today are stronger, fitter, far more physical, hit with tremendous pace AND spin, and are overall more complete players than those of even 10 years ago. I've watched tennis for many years, probably longer than you've been alive given the tenor of most of your posts, and this is probably the strongest and deepest men's field I've ever seen.

For heavens sake people. This site used to be entertaining to read, but now it's little more than the moronic ramblings of RFK, Just Cause, mashamaniac and people who seem to truly believe that a player who is solid enough to achieve a top 5 ranking and/or win a major is a fluke or hack who could be eaten up by a 4.0 rated player. They are in the top 10 of professional tennis players in an unbelievably competetive era, and yet some of you people act like Roddick, Blake, Robredo and Ljubicic couldn't beat the local pro at the club.

Methinks the group needs a stronger dose of meds.

Magus13
05-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Don't Feed The Troll

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-10-2007, 06:19 AM
and this is probably the strongest and deepest men's field I've ever seen.

Are you kidding me.

This era is full of chokers who can't serve out matches and lose a match before they even step on court.

Most players today are mental midgets.

garad
05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Federer's h2h against top ten from 10 years ago:

Federer v Sampras 1:0
Federer v Rios 2:0
Federer v Corretja 2:3
Federer v Rafter 0:3
Federer v Moya 6:0
Federer v Agassi 8:3
Federer v Kucera 3:1
Federer v. Henman 7:6
Federer v Rusedski 4:1
Federer v Krajicek 2:0

Not that bad for someone who wouldn't be in the top 10 back then.
Secondly, people saying that Djokovic is easy top 10 player of the 90s. Yep, quite possible, but funny think is he is Federer's pidgeon.
Enough said

Kolya
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM

Secondly, people saying that Djokovic is easy top 10 player of the 90s. Yep, quite possible, but funny think is he is Federer's pidgeon.
Enough said

Federer played all those guys past their prime.

oz_boz
05-10-2007, 08:04 AM

Federer can't beat fighters (Nadal, Canas, Hewitt, Agassi, Sampras) and the 90s were known for players with guts and heart.

First, you are wrong about the "fighters" that Federer supposedly can't beat, Hewitt and Agassi are his pigeons, and Nadal is just a bad matchup for him.
However, an honest question deserves an honest answer, I cite sykotique:

Djokovic is quite capable of being top 10 in most eras. Whether or not he can maintain his run given his relative youth is another matter. But he obviously has more than enough time to develop and he has the right attitude (in terms of winning).

Nadal would probably be top 10, but I think clay points would be scarcer to come by. However, he'd probably get more points on hardcourt, given the number of players who rely on power these days.

Federer would be top 10 most definitely, top 3 more than likely, and possibly even #1, considering his acumen on all surfaces. Pete would definitely hold his own on grass and some hardcourts, but I think Fed's acquisition of points across the board would push him over. However, he'd probably get less clay points and less grass points as well, though not by much. Would probably dominate hardcourts though.

Roddick would probably be there or there abouts. Don't underestimate how much the faster conditions would help his huge serve. Certainly helped Goran.

Spot on.

Enough said

So true.

Federer played all those guys past their prime.

And a lot of them before Fed himself got the player he is now, so favour returned.

roflmao Federer not in the top 10. I think you're very lost in terms of how to watch tennis lol. I'll play this game with you after I finish drinking my tequilas and vodkas. Cheers man! =D

This is the kind of answer that RFK really is asking for. :lol: