Mr. Potato Head obliterates Mosquito: 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mr. Potato Head obliterates Mosquito: 6-2, 3-6, 6-2

aramis
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
:o
Even a 10 year old can hit the ball harder than you Ferrero.
Good shots by Starace though.

The_Nadal_effect
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
JC lost :eek:?

I dont like Spaniards going down so early on clay.

2moretogo
05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Well ummm, Potato owes the Italian crowd big time.

Jimnik
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Well that's a bit harsh. Starace was just stunning tonight. I've never ever seen someone paint the lines so consistently as he did today. It was just unbelievable, such high risk tennis. I was just waiting for the UEs to come and take over but they never did. There was never a point when I though JCF couldn't win this. Even at 5-2 in the 3rd, I just thought something had to give because how can anyone, who's never reached an AMS 3rd round before, keep that aggression up forever. I also thought JCF could have been more aggressive rather than put the ball in play and hope for the choke but I don't blame him for believing it would come.

Just far, far too good from Potato. :worship: Well Done.
Perfect time to reach your first ever Masters Series last 16.

aramis
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
No, Ferrero deserved to lose the way he played, especially that last set. Seriously, his shots have no depth and no power. He was practically begging Starace to hit brilliant shots, which to his credit he did. Those commentators who think JC is playing at his former level need to get a clue.

I really don't understand it; JCF had been playing with a lot of vigor on the clay this year, and his results showed it, but this week he completely reverted back to his powerless moonballing of last year.

Champion number 1
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Well for anyone who doesnt know about Starace, hes always had this talent, a talent of a top 20 player for sure, but physically hasnt always been the best. He is now in the best form of his life. QF at Barcelona and now 3rd round here with 2 great victories already.

Kitty de Sade
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
And we now have the hat trick. What a day- first Gaudio, then Safin, and now Ferrero....damn I need a hug. :sobbing:

Jimnik
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
No, Ferrero deserved to lose the way he played, especially that last set. Seriously, his shots have no depth and no power. He was practically begging Starace to hit brilliant shots, which to his credit he did. Those commentators who think JC is playing at his former level need to get a clue.

I really don't understand it; JCF had been playing with a lot of vigor on the clay this year, and his results showed it, but this week he completely reverted back to his powerless moonballing of last year.
I agree to a certain extent. He was clearly lacking power and any will to be aggressive but I have to say even the modern JCF would expect to beat this kind of player usually. He doesn't seem to have much to hurt him, not much power, not much speed and little consistency. But he was just on a roll in that 3rd set and when you can play as well as that, you deserve to win.

The crowd was also very intimidating. I just think JCF was really unlucky tonight.

*bunny*
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
:sad: :(

The Potato guy managed to break Rafa when he was serving for the match in Barcelona, so the guy has been on a roll for a while, probably after reaching the Valencia final.
But in the second set, he was making a lot of errors and JC was hitting some decent winners. So I hoped the trend would continue in the third set...but that wasn't the case...
I have a feeling that in the decider, not only Potato started to hit the purple patch, but also JC couldn't get into the rhythm, hence a lot of short balls and missed opportunities.
And yes, the crowd really helped the Italians today. Well done to them. :rolleyes:

And we now have the hat trick. What a day- first Gaudio, then Safin, and now Ferrero....damn I need a hug. :sobbing:
:hug:

My top 3 guys are gone too... JCF, Marat and Lleyton. :bigcry:

realtin
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
JC :sad:

jazar
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
my god what an obliteration

Frooty_Bazooty
05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I definitely fancy his chances against Davydenko

Burrow
05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Potito is a talented guy, if he has his head screwed on and is ready for plenty long rallies, then he is mentally ready to roll over davydenko. It would be nice to see that happen.

Byrd
05-09-2007, 10:37 PM

Yea it sucks doesn't it :mad: :hug:

stebs
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
The way Ferrero played today really would make any player on a half-good day look awesome. It was like, here's a half-court ball, can you hit a winner? To Starace's credit he did it but he won't be made to look as good againt Kolya. Should be a really good match.

stebs
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Potito is a talented guy, if he has his head screwed on and is ready for plenty long rallies, then he is mentally ready to roll over davydenko. It would be nice to see that happen.

If Davydenko keeps playing as he has been this year then yes. On form though Davydenko is an excellent player on clay and the quick clay particularly, if he plays well he is definately favourite.

Bad Religion
05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Davydenko :yawn: vs NN Starache instead JCF - Safin .

Good chance for Robredo making semis again :yawn:

Finally , mal mal Ferrero , you can´t lose with that crappy italian player . Damn

stebs
05-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Finally , mal mal Ferrero , you can´t lose with that crappy italian player . Damn

:lol: How can you think you're a tennis fan with comments like this? So ignorant.

Champion number 1
05-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Actually its also an open draw for an Italian player. If Potito can remain in form he has chances to surprise.

Deivid23
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Starace showed the world today he´s a class above this Ferrero, well done Poto

TMJordan
05-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Forza Potatoe!

GlennMirnyi
05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Good play Potato. :D

Forehander
05-10-2007, 04:15 AM
JFC is a craphouse player man... Why would people even bother liking him. When he's losing he just ducks his head down reflecting the face of a nigel and never tries to bring his game back up. He's so stubborn that he never changes his game plan, only knows how to hit the ball "as hard as he could" while not knowing there are so many more players much much superior than he is in terms of power. The reason why he cannot climb back up towards his original ranking into the top 10 after injury is clearly because everybody have raised the level of the game and not because he's not as good as he was use to. He deserves to lose to Starice enough said.

GlennMirnyi
05-10-2007, 04:16 AM
Ferrero actually used to be quite good, but after the long break his forehand left the earth.

kinglear
05-10-2007, 04:18 AM
After watching Starace in Barcelona against Nadal and this Rome match against Ferrero, I have to ask why isn't Starace ranked higher. He's awesome at the net, has great angles and a machine gun forehand. Is it that he just doesn't play consistently well? He must be one of those players who has the incredible talent, but not the big tennis "brain." :confused: I mean come on, he should be a star...he has the word "star" in his last name. ;)

GlennMirnyi
05-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Starace's problem is physical, not mental.

kinglear
05-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Starace's problem is physical, not mental.

Really? It's physical?

GlennMirnyi
05-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Really? It's physical?

He gets injured a lot, it seems.

krystlel
05-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Starace played well in the third set. I hope he beats Davydenko in the next round.

kinglear
05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Starace played well in the third set. I hope he beats Davydenko in the next round.

I think he will. He's quick around the court just like Davydenko and can hang in long rallies. It's definitely a good matchup. :)

Merton
05-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Starace is in great form these days, it will be interesting to see how far he can go playing home. He certainly has his chances against Davydenko.

scarecrows
05-10-2007, 08:09 AM
i have predicted quarters for Potito this tournament and I wouldnt be surprised if he makes semis instead

good win Potato, keep it going

scarecrows
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Really? It's physical?

He gets injured a lot, it seems.

true

I dont remember a season where he didnt have some kind of injury

Medina
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
:(! Ferrero, whats with you. Gain you confidence, its getting annoying now

Kolya
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Put your money on Starace against Kolya.

Ferrero Forever
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Firstly shame that JC lost, I had a bad feeling about this match from the start, but it's still disappointing. Potito must have played really well, he's been in great form lately so congrats to him.

JFC is a craphouse player man... Why would people even bother liking him. When he's losing he just ducks his head down reflecting the face of a nigel and never tries to bring his game back up. He's so stubborn that he never changes his game plan, only knows how to hit the ball "as hard as he could" while not knowing there are so many more players much much superior than he is in terms of power. The reason why he cannot climb back up towards his original ranking into the top 10 after injury is clearly because everybody have raised the level of the game and not because he's not as good as he was use to. He deserves to lose to Starice enough said.

I've only ever seen 2 of your posts, and they've both been about how crap JC is. I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to this load of crap, but anyway. JC is anything but a 'craphouse' player, thats why he's ranked in the top 20. How many times this year has he rallied back to win matches, I believe he was one set down 2 days ago against Hrbaty, but he come back and won the following 2 sets rather convincingly. So your argument there has no credibility whatsoever. JC is anything but a power player, he never has been a power player, never will be. Where the hell you pulled that from I don't know. I like Ferrero because he is a great player, man he's been hovering around the top 20 for a while recently, been world number 1, won a grand slam, 11 titles, 2 davis cups and he's a lovely guy in person! And it's Starace, not Starice.

And what the hell is with you too? When Ferrero wins you pretend to be his biggest fan. When he loses 'a 10 year old can hit the ball harder than him' and you start a thread which is obviously going to lead to Ferrero being criticised. Yes Starace did well, but go support Federer since you only like players when they win. So much for through thick and thin!

Forehander
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I am sorry JuanQui Lover I won't say anything bad anymore about JFC =(

EVERYBODY JFC IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!!! Starace earned himself a lucky win!!!

BgStallion
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
jcf :sobbing:

aramis
05-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Firstly shame that JC lost, I had a bad feeling about this match from the start, but it's still disappointing. Potito must have played really well, he's been in great form lately so congrats to him.

I've only ever seen 2 of your posts, and they've both been about how crap JC is. I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to this load of crap, but anyway. JC is anything but a 'craphouse' player, thats why he's ranked in the top 20. How many times this year has he rallied back to win matches, I believe he was one set down 2 days ago against Hrbaty, but he come back and won the following 2 sets rather convincingly. So your argument there has no credibility whatsoever. JC is anything but a power player, he never has been a power player, never will be. Where the hell you pulled that from I don't know. I like Ferrero because he is a great player, man he's been hovering around the top 20 for a while recently, been world number 1, won a grand slam, 11 titles, 2 davis cups and he's a lovely guy in person! And it's Starace, not Starice.

And what the hell is with you too? When Ferrero wins you pretend to be his biggest fan. When he loses 'a 10 year old can hit the ball harder than him' and you start a thread which is obviously going to lead to Ferrero being criticised. Yes Starace did well, but go support Federer since you only like players when they win. So much for through thick and thin!

When did I say I was his biggest fan "through thick and thin"? Yes, Ferrero is the player who got me into tennis because I liked the way he USED to play. Naturally I get disappointed with the way he plays now and so I express that disappointment with those types of comments. Moreover, this is GM, not JCF forum, so I have every right to criticize Ferrero's performance here of all places. I don't make negative comments about him on the JCF forum and I only post over there occasionally. Yes, I like it when my favorite players win, and if JCF continues this kind of form for the rest of the year, then I'm not going to waste anymore time following him. He's been doing this same thing for the past 3 years so I don't need to see the same things over and over.