F.Volandri defeats R.Gasquet 6-4 6-7 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

F.Volandri defeats R.Gasquet 6-4 6-7 6-4

Tomy
05-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Very very very very exiting match. Couldn't breathe during the last set. Thought Gasquet had a chance to reach SFs at least... anyways, nice win for Filippo!!!!!!!!!! :bigclap:
Wow... I'm still trembling...

RickDaStick
05-09-2007, 04:28 PM
The end of the match was way too predictable. At 5-3 serving for the match, we all knew Volandri wouldnt be able to serve it out but there was no doubt the mental midget would lose serve at 4-5 to end the match

Andre♥
05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Pipo!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

JBdV
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You thought Gasquet had a chance to reach the SF here?? :spit:
Anyway, well done to Pippo great match from him today :hatoff:
Richard you need :help:

Beforehand
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Guh.

Gasquet's matches are brilliant sometimes, and nigh unwatchable at others...

Merton
05-09-2007, 04:31 PM
This is a good time for Richard to take a good, hard look at himself.

Beforehand
And yeah..on Volandri's first match point at *5-3, I said to myself "Yeah, right.", and predictably, into the net it went. Roger had to be smiling at the thought of playing either of these players.

Sunset of Age
Wow, wonderful achievement by Pipo! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Exciting match, great to see.
A bit of a pity they took so long though, as I would've like to see Raf's match... and Real Life is interfering again. Well, you can't have it all... :D

dijus
grande Filo !! :yeah:

Champion number 1
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Volandri was very good, typical match in Rome for him where he just about wins. He has beaten some great players at this event, although Federer will be a great player too far. However I am happy he has reached round 3, he is back in some form.

peteslamz
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Sigh Richie :sad:

FluffyYellowBall
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Difficult victory for volandri but finally prevailed. Now he'll play The Fed whome im sure hed rather lose to than some player ranked out of the top ten..

But what a crowd!!! I wish i was there!:angel: :D

gebl
Fed should have a very easy next match

Yappa
Good and important for the tournament to have an italian in the next round.

Forehander
Ok this year for Gasgay is absolutely garbage lol. He must be affected by the homosexual rumour about himself that's been going on around!!! But anyway I think sooner or later he'll get there. Sort of like Federer he'll start his engine a bit later maybe :)

Champion number 1
05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I think Federer should beat Volandri 63 63 or something like this... however as I said Im just happy to see Volandri in the 3rd round and move up the rankings.

Or Levy
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, hmmm...

I was sort of worriedly excited about Rog and Gasquet, this would make life easier on Roger for sure.

Tomy
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
The end of the match was way too predictable. At 5-3 serving for the match, we all knew Volandri wouldnt be able to serve it out but there was no doubt the mental midget would lose serve at 4-5 to end the match

Oh, come on! After Volandri lost his last serve I thought they'd be reaching a tie break at least. I mean, Filippo's left leg was about to explode, and Richard wasn't playing bad at all... too defensive maybe, but not bad... it wasn't "predictable".

Deivid23
05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
This is a good time for Richard to take a good, hard look at himself.

Why? Itīs not like heīs that better than Pipo on clay, I actually think he played well

Kitty de Sade
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I thought that Richie had it after the break...next time mate, good effort. :hug:

vincayou
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Richard woke up with fever it seems. Anyway, awful match from him, I just saw the first set and it was dreadful. No big regrets anyway, itīs not like he had a open draw.

Hopefully, he'll get a big result in Hambourg.

Deathless Mortal
05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
:worship:

FluffyYellowBall
Oh, come on! After Volandri lost his last serve I thought they'd be reaching a tie break at least. I mean, Filippo's left leg was about to explode, and Richard wasn't playing bad at all... too defensive maybe, but not bad... it wasn't "predictable".

It was predictable that volandri would choke but not so much that he would win...Im just happy he won for italian tennis;)

silverwhite
Needs to sort out his serve quickly. And questionable tactics, playing too passively at times and attacking the net at the wrong moments (eg. on weak approach shots, S&V-ing on MP).

silverwhite
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Erm, the only time he held serve was at the start of the third so yes, it was predictable that he was going to lose serve again serving to stay in the match.

zicofirol
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
lmao gasquet...

silverwhite
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Why? Itīs not like heīs that better than Pipo on clay, I actually think he played well

If you call awful serving and being forced to venture to the net more than he would have liked (probably because he was struggling physically) playing well. :lol:

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Gasquet is surely doing the right thing: peaking for the small tournaments. :D

That said, Volandri played well and Gasquet lost about a million chances to win this match.

Deivid23
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
If you call awful serving and being forced to venture to the net more than he would have liked (probably because he was struggling physically) playing well. :lol:

:lol:

Awful serving? Take a look at last games of 2nd set, where he couldnīt miss a serve and got a lot of cheap points off his 1st serve. He hitted some nice shots in 2nd set and part of the third, if you expect him being Federer-like all the time then itīs your problem :confused:

rofe
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Gasquet played throughout this match like he played during the 1st set in the Estoril final. He needs to think about these missed opportunities and reduce them if he is interested in breaking into the top ten.

silverwhite
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
:lol:

Awful serving? Take a look at last games of 2nd set, where he couldn´t miss a serve and got a lot of cheap points off his 1st serve. He hitted some nice shots in 2nd set and part of the third, if you expect him being Federer-like all the time then it´s your problem :confused:

He didn't when it truly mattered. Only held serve once in the third set. :help:

Surely you don't have to be Federer-like to serve better than that. :confused:

Merton
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM

It is not the result, it is the fact that he tends to lose these close matches. That's one of the things that differentiate great players from very good players.

Frederick16
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
yeah! pipo in his capital!! :)

i will go watch him for sure at RG :D

Deivid23
05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
He didn't when it truly mattered. Only held serve once in the third set. :help:

Surely you don't have to be Federer-like to serve better than that. :confused:

In front of him there was a guy who returns pretty effectively and can play really well on the surface. Sometimes Gasquet also loses bc his rival is better than him on the day not bc he plays like shit, you´re starting to sound like some Fedtards :rolleyes:

pascal'rG
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Gasquet didn't play his best because he has a throat infection.

But still he could have won this match so it's disapointing but Volandri plays great today so he deserves the win.

And a sick gasquet couldn't have fight against federer so it's better for him to rest now.

silverwhite
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
In front of him there was a guy who returns pretty effectively and can play really well on the surface. Sometimes Gasquet also loses bc his rival is better than him on the dayy not bc he plays like shit, you´re starting to sound like some Fedtards :rolleyes:

Did you see how many first serves he actually got in late in the third set? And how is saying that Gasquet didn't play well equivalent to denying that Volandri played well? :confused:

OK, I'm supposed to keep my expectations low no matter what to avoid sounding like a Fedtard. Got it. :)

Luka Matic
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Pippo is back :woohoo:

guy in sf
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Ok this year for Gasgay is absolutely garbage lol. He must be affected by the homosexual rumour about himself that's been going on around!!! But anyway I think sooner or later he'll get there. Sort of like Federer he'll start his engine a bit later maybe :)

He's probably affected by people like you calling him Gasgay.

InfiniteSadness
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
When my boyfriend told me that Richard lost the 1st set when I was at work, I knew that he would lose this match whether in 2 or 3 sets.

And when I got home, I saw I was right:

Richard, you're so predictable! :( 1st set lost, match lost most of the times! :(

Schu
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Gasquet didn't play his best because he has a throat infection.

But still he could have won this match so it's disapointing but Volandri plays great today so he deserves the win.

And a sick gasquet couldn't have fight against federer so it's better for him to rest now.

Exactly.

Wish eveyone would stop saying this was a typical "mental miget" match from Gasquet. Yes, Gasquet did have chances to win the match even though he was sick but it was clear that he was not feeling well at all and actually hung in there a lot longer than he should have (granted in part due to Volandri's gifts).

Get better for Hamburg Richard!

bobjoe66
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
volandri is a very good player on clay, gasquet is still young and inconsistent but hugely talented. volandri scrapped through...gasquet needs to learn to win these tight matches.

volandri, as good as he is on clay, won't be a problem for federer.

Conita
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
as much as i love gasquet i think it's time some people rest the excuses.
he didn't play at his best regardless of his throat infection is not like other players dont get sick, Volandri played his part and he won the match.
as far as everyone giving crap to gasquet saying how bad his done this year and all that....
have a real look at his results he's 13 (atp entry) and 15 (race) and he just got to a final last sunday!
not so crappy results to me!
just because he's not a phenomenon who doesnt lose doesn't mean he's crap to me he's slowing getting in the rankings and also maturing as a player i rather have him take a couple of years to settle as a player than get into the top 10 in a rush and leave straight after.
give tha guy a break, and also give credit to volandri who played a good match.

ReturnWinner
05-09-2007, 06:40 PM
well that is what i call Gasquet overrated for , he is talented but overrated for sure

Spris
05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
good day for the Romans : Volandri wins, Roma destroys Inter :rocker2:

my0118
05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
well it seems his same problem is repeated again and again..
I just see today why djokovic and gasquet are in a different place.
I'm quite dissapointed but he still has time to solve this problem, so I expect his moment to come. Better in Hamburg please.

sawan66278
05-09-2007, 07:36 PM
"That Gasquet, boy, when he gets it together, watch out"
Cedric Pioline

scarecrows
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
well, I know this is used a lot but 'expected win for Volandri'

if you dont believe check the thread made for this match yesterday

MariaV
05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Geez Richard, that is painful. :( :o :sad:

jazar
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
cant believe that. volandri has no weapons

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
The overrated clown loses again.

The future #1 :rolleyes:

Champion number 1
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Volandri has a fatal weapon for a clay court player, speed and great movement... hes a difficult player to finish off and Volandri's backhand destroyed Gasquet's backhand today.

georgekuo1017
05-10-2007, 12:47 AM
nice win for pippo :bounce:

Scotso
05-10-2007, 02:33 AM
:rocker2:

yomike
05-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Nice tactics in the third set for Gasquet, rushing to the net randomly then get passed.

Action Jackson
05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Never in doubt and while Volandri has the worst serve in the top 100, he has one of the best backhands on clay and he moves well, good to see the crowd get into it.

pascal'rG
05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Nice tactics in the third set for Gasquet, rushing to the net randomly then get passed.

normal strategy for a sick person... trying to make shorts rallies to be able to end the match :rolleyes:

Kolya
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Forza Volandri!!!

VolandriFan
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Just as I said all along. Gasquet is playing like crap and Filo is one of the best on clay.

VolandriFan
05-10-2007, 09:27 AM

How many times have you seen Volandri play on clay? For a player with "no weapons", he sure does alright.

yomike
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
The overrated clown loses again.

The future #1 :rolleyes:

Aren't you the same idiot who hype a Nadal-Djokovic MC final and that Murray, Nadal, Djokovic will become the top three by the end of the year.

scarecrows
05-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Aren't you the same idiot who hype a Nadal-Djokovic MC final and that Murray, Nadal, Djokovic will become the top three by the end of the year.

yes, he's the same idiot

Puschkin
05-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Wish eveyone would stop saying this was a typical "mental miget" match from Gasquet. Yes, Gasquet did have chances to win the match even though he was sick but it was clear that he was not feeling well at all and actually hung in there a lot longer than he should have.

Depending on one's view, the glass is half full or half empty. While some will always come up with the same choking stuff, others see being ill as a suffcient explanation for an average performance. I never expected much for Rome, so I am not that disappointed. Everyone knows where the real test for Richard will take place this year. ;)