05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
El Gato :sad:

azza
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Gaudio wasted SP :sad:

wenty
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Gaudio :sad: :sad:
Atleast he fought well...saved like 4 match points...

scarecrows
a new low for gaudio losing to Roddick on clay

Yappa
Hm, that TB was entertaining.

Did anyone catch what exactly Andy was saying to Gaston? Maybe about a call? Roddick was pointing at something.

VolandriFan
05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Nice choke in the 2nd set Gaston. Still improving though :yeah:

skel1983
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM

I wouldnt call one set point on Andy Roddicks serve a choke, but i think Rome is good for Andy's game and i would have been suprised if Gaston won this game hes game has been awful this year and is something like 2-6 on clay!!

guillermo
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Did anyone catch what exactly Andy was saying to Gaston? Maybe about a call? Roddick was pointing at something.

He said that Gaudio showed "good sportsmanship", propably about an out call earlier on but I don´t know.

TMJordan
:banana: Andy :banana:

mickymouse

I think he thanked him for a ball that Gaudio called good and said he appreciated it.

AnnaK_4ever
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM

:rolleyes: :help:
Andy was 6-3 up in TB. That was a mini-choke...

Good job, Andy :yeah:

laure xxx
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Is this the match that sends Gaudio into retirement.....?

wenty
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Hopefully not...

Sunset of Age
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I think he thanked him for a ball that Gaudio called good and said he appreciated it.

:yeah: I very much like this kind of behaviour between the players.
Kudos to both for that!

I didn't see this result coming, no - expected Gaudio to do a lot better on clay, especially against Andy - not exactly a clay court tiger, but well, I may be wrong! :p

Pea
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
rodduck for RG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fumus
05-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Great win by Roddick. STFU haters.

SwiSha
05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
a new low for gaudio losing to Roddick on clay

dont think so Gaudio was not bad in the 2nd set i ve seen him play much worse

uglyamerican
05-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I didn't see this result coming, no - expected Gaudio to do a lot better on clay, especially against Andy - not exactly a clay court tiger, but well, I may be wrong! :p

Gaudio's game seems like a good tactical match-up for Roddick, so it's not that horrible of a loss.

Kolya
05-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Ah well... maybe next time.

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Great win by Roddick. STFU haters.

:haha:

Beating a guy who's at the lowest point in his career (lost to Berlocq this year) is something for people to shut up? :haha:

LoveFifteen
05-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Beating a guy who's at the lowest point in his career (lost to Berlocq this year) is something for people to shut up? :haha:

No, something that should make people shut up are one of Ljubicic's convincing wins. :unsure: :cantremember:

Conita
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
it was a good second set :lol:
well done Roddick i just wish there was an extra set mainly cos the first 1 was boring, im glad to see gaudio back though he's far from a good form he's trying.

:)

laure xxx
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Roddick was at the lowest point in his career last year and look at him now - top 3 player again. Who's to say that Gaudio (former FO champ) couldn't' have snapped his bad streak against Roddick today?

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
No, something that should make people shut up are one of Ljubicic's convincing wins. :unsure: :cantremember:

At least Ljubicic never lost to clay emperor Wayne Arthurs.

Roddick was at the lowest point in his career last year and look at him now - top 3 player again. Who's to say that Gaudio (former FO champ) couldn't' have snapped his bad streak against Roddick today?

Roddick's lowest point is still to come, but losing to Arthurs on clay was much closer to rock bottom than anything that happened to him last year.

Kitty de Sade
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Better in the second for Gato- was still hoping to see him win it. Next time....:hug:

Deboogle!.
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
He said that Gaudio showed "good sportsmanship", propably about an out call earlier on but I don´t know.

I think he thanked him for a ball that Gaudio called good and said he appreciated it.I dunno what you guys watched but in the ATP masters series highlights thingy, i clearly heard andy call him a 'fucking prick'

:scratch:

RickDaStick
05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I dunno what you guys watched but in the ATP masters series highlights thingy, i clearly heard andy call him a 'fucking prick'

Let me guess, you think Roddick should get some kind of humanitarian award for this?

Sjengster
05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I dunno what you guys watched but in the ATP masters series highlights thingy, i clearly heard andy call him a 'fucking prick'

What, at the handshake? I don't think so, there was absolutely no reason for him to do so given that Gaudio gave him such an important point, I'm sure that's what he was thanking him for. Gaudio patted him on the stomach in a kind of "No worries" manner too, and I don't think he was being sarcastic, which he certainly has been at handshakes in the past (Coria in Hamburg 2003 springs to mind).

I mean the match was played in pretty good spirits overall, there was a point at 3-3, 30-30 in the second set on Gaudio's serve where he shanked a cross-court forehand and it just dropped on the sideline for a winner; Roddick noted that it was a lucky shot, then Gaudio said something like, "I never miss my forehand" (actually, it could have been "I always miss my forehand", either way he was joking about his stroke of fortune) and they both had a smile about it.

The first set was one of the best I've seen from Roddick on clay, obviously the Rome surface is good for him but he used smart tactics, mixing up awkward slices to Gaudio's backhand with big forehands getting him off balance and he was the master of the dropshot today, not something I've seen from him before. Gaudio played a few stupid shots in the game he was first broken and conceded the double break pretty easily, but afterwards he knuckled down and produced some good tennis in the second set, if he'd played like he has been doing for the last few months it would have been 1 and 1. Just a pity he couldn't convert that setpoint on a difficult kicking second serve, he was still agitating over it in the tiebreak.

Timariot
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Well, it does seem to work for Sampras fans, so... :devil:

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, it does seem to work for Sampras fans, so... :devil:

What about Sampras? Are you gonna try some cheap shots against the GOAT 'till now?

Deboogle!.
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Let me guess, you think Roddick should get some kind of humanitarian award for this?uh.... no? I know Andy is a good guy, I don't need him to be awarded for it :) What, at the handshake? I don't think so, there was absolutely no reason for him to do so given that Gaudio gave him such an important point, I'm sure that's what he was thanking him for. Gaudio patted him on the stomach in a kind of "No worries" manner too, and I don't think he was being sarcastic, which he certainly has been at handshakes in the past (Coria in Hamburg 2003 springs to mind).Sjengster, I expected better from you :sad: :p

Haidef Lorez
05-09-2007, 02:27 PM
This performance by Gaston will not help with this :

http://www.coretennis.net/rgraph/p122.png

embellish
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Andy :bounce:

Gaston :hug:

Sjengster
05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
uh.... no? I know Andy is a good guy, I don't need him to be awarded for it :) Sjengster, I expected better from you :sad: :p

Oh ha ha. :p Remember all that furore when people suggested Roddick had called Federer a "fucking prick" at the handshake after the Toronto final in 2004? I was taking a sabbatical from the board at the time, but I remember that animosity for Roddick was at a high during that period. So don't instigate, Deb! ;)

Donny
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Remember all that furore when people suggested Roddick had called Federer a "fucking prick" at the handshake after the Toronto final in 2004?

Ooh, LOL, I love it when people "suggest" and fill-in-the-blanks with their own limited brain power ... 'cause you know that it must be fcuking true. :rolleyes:

Expected win for Andy.

:confused: How is Andy such a clay court clown? IMO he's solid on clay in general (yeh, never gonna be a top 10 claycourter, but still) ... but is just lousy on clay at Roland Garros. Oh well, I predict 4th round this year at RG.

BlakeorHenman
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Ooh, LOL, I love it when people "suggest" and fill-in-the-blanks with their own limited brain power ... 'cause you know that it must be fcuking true. :rolleyes:

Expected win for Andy.

:confused: How is Andy such a clay court clown? IMO he's solid on clay in general (yeh, never gonna be a top 10 claycourter, but still) ... but is just lousy on clay at Roland Garros. Oh well, I predict 4th round this year at RG.

I think I'd wait for the draw before I put him that far.

RickDaStick
05-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Expected win for Andy.

Jcempire, is that you?

GlennMirnyi
05-09-2007, 02:54 PM

PMac, also known as Jcempire is back.

tangerine_dream
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Andy! :woohoo:

So he decided that he didn't really want to fly all the way to Rome only to lose in the first round no matter what. Excellent win for him, to beat a former RG champion. This first match after a month's layoff was tricky so it was very impressive indeed. :worship:

People can make all the excuses they want for Gaston, the fact is he fought well in the second set but it was too little too late by then. And if this was truly his lowest career point, then he would've lost to Fish yesterday.

Who's next, Andreev? Chela? Keep up the confidence play, Andy. :banana:

No, but it might for GWH. hehehe :p

Forehander
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
holy... shit Gaudio IS GOING TO RETIRE EVERYBODY!!!!!

Merton
05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats Andy, this is the 2nd win against a French Open champ at Rome, even though both of them, obviously, were far from their best. Roddick has underachieved on clay so far in his career, lets see how this year goes.

Jimnik
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Good match and played in a very good spirit, though I don't expect anyone on MTF to appreciate it.

Andy is doing a good job of improving a few clay court techniques. All of his dropshots today were executed perfectly - I think he's been practicing them. Also his decision making, especially on the crucial points, were much clearer than in the past. Some serve-volleying on 2nd serves were a perfect example of this.

Gaudio hit some form in the middle of the 2nd set but couldn't quite take advantage. He seemed to always face a big serve on the BPs. He was definitely more effective when playing aggressively but, especially in the TB, I think he was mostly hoping and expecting more UEs from Roddick.

A-Rod still 100% on European clay in 2007. :D

RonE
05-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Gato losing to Roddick on clay?????? :help: :help: :help:

:smash:

realtin
05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Good match and played in a very good spirit, though I don't expect anyone on MTF to appreciate it.

I appreciated it :D

It was played in good spirit which is always great to see :)

Sofyaxo
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Ohh Deb you trouble maker :devil:

Andy didn't play like shit, Gaston didn't lose the match, Andy won it.

The guy did well on clay, suck it up and move on.

martine2
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Gaudio :hug:

But he played a good 2nd set!

lorenz
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Congrats to Roddick !!!
Sorry for Gaudio, he had a few flashes of good tennis at the second set. I love to watch him playing well.

Maybe, Gaston must retire with a good performance at RG.

Vale
05-10-2007, 02:10 AM
What, at the handshake? I don't think so, there was absolutely no reason for him to do so given that Gaudio gave him such an important point, I'm sure that's what he was thanking him for. Gaudio patted him on the stomach in a kind of "No worries" manner too, and I don't think he was being sarcastic, which he certainly has been at handshakes in the past (Coria in Hamburg 2003 springs to mind).

I mean the match was played in pretty good spirits overall, there was a point at 3-3, 30-30 in the second set on Gaudio's serve where he shanked a cross-court forehand and it just dropped on the sideline for a winner; Roddick noted that it was a lucky shot, then Gaudio said something like, "I never miss my forehand" (actually, it could have been "I always miss my forehand", either way he was joking about his stroke of fortune) and they both had a smile about it.

The first set was one of the best I've seen from Roddick on clay, obviously the Rome surface is good for him but he used smart tactics, mixing up awkward slices to Gaudio's backhand with big forehands getting him off balance and he was the master of the dropshot today, not something I've seen from him before. Gaudio played a few stupid shots in the game he was first broken and conceded the double break pretty easily, but afterwards he knuckled down and produced some good tennis in the second set, if he'd played like he has been doing for the last few months it would have been 1 and 1. Just a pity he couldn't convert that setpoint on a difficult kicking second serve, he was still agitating over it in the tiebreak.

I´ve been reading the Argentine press, but yours is the best analysis of what went on in the match!:worship:

Before Rome Gaudio had said that he didn´t mind losing in the first round so long as he saw an improvement in his game, and I think we all saw it here. Hope he will see it that way too!

After the match Roddick said "I was thankful to get through in two after that. To win a third set might have been a tall task. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today was fun."

About what Roddick said during the handshake, you´ve got it right: the linesperson called Roddick´s ball out, Bernardes hadn´t seen it, and Gastón went over and showed it to be in, giving Roddick an important break point. At the end of the match when they met at the net Roddick thanked him, pointing to where Gastón had given him the point, and said “I really appreciated it”, and Gastón smiled and shrugged it off like "No big deal".

Jlee
05-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Nice, Andy :yeah: :)

nolop
05-10-2007, 02:53 AM
gaudio is juast a has been, and not a good one (>_< ):lol: :shrug:

yomike
05-10-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm out of words, this is so disappointing.

tennisrocks123
05-10-2007, 03:52 AM
wow

*Viva Chile*
05-10-2007, 04:05 AM
Rome = Red Hardcourt :p

Deboogle!.
05-10-2007, 05:05 AM
Ohh Deb you trouble maker :devil: I really thought people would realize I was being sarcastic :rolls:

Allez-Alejo
05-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Ljubicic needs his "Australian-like sunblock on nose" to have any chance of big winning matches.

:wavey:

Allez-Alejo
05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
In addition...as an innocent bystander...if you hate Roddick...at least pick someone to rout for that can beat him...Ljubicic(:rolleyes: )...not so much

yomike
05-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Ljubicic needs his "Australian-like sunblock on nose" to have any chance of big winning matches.

:wavey:

Wrong thread, didn't you read the title Clayhack beats 04 FO Champion 6-1 7-6

Allez-Alejo
05-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Wrong thread, didn't you read the title Clayhack beats 04 FO Champion 6-1 7-6

just giving word to some of the banter throughout the thread

Action Jackson
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Too big.

wenty
05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Good sportsmanship from Gaudio:hug:

Bayo
05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
I hope Gaston can pull something together for RG.