Federer def. Almagro 6-3,6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Almagro 6-3,6-4

RonE
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Good solid victory- nothing too fancy but I am sure Roger would be relieved to successfully navigate a potential minefield considering their match last year.

Or Levy
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, I was happy to see him doing well in the first round, looked better than he had for a while in first round matches.

I was a bit concerned that he didnt' seem to come in a lot, and settled for a lot of baseline play.

stebs
05-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Good performance from the back of the court but again unwilling to attack the net. On the bright side he was hitting the forehand with great authority.

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Well done, Rogelio! :worship:

Never in doubt, though. I know, Almagro is a pretty good clay courter (and he showed again what he's capable of in this match, BTW), but well... so is Rogi! ;)

Roger seems to have found back his serve, YAY! Still a bit sloppy here and there - quite a few UEs in that second set - but overall, a good solid victory. And indeed, I agree with what others have already said: perhaps he should try attacking the net a little more than he did today.
Must give him good confidence for the rest of the tournament. :yeah:

Kitty de Sade
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
The Great One puts the first match to bed. Good job! :hatoff:

rofe
05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
A fairly tidy match.

Forehand working: Check
Serve working: Check

Fed should take a lot of confidence from this match into the next round. No choking while serving for the set and match. Almagro played pretty well but Fed got the break and protected his service games well.

kobulingam
Yes, I was happy to see him doing well in the first round, looked better than he had for a while in first round matches.

I was a bit concerned that he didnt' seem to come in a lot, and settled for a lot of baseline play.

That's what he's been practicing the past few weeks.

nobama
Coming in doesn't mean much if he doesn't do it when playing Nadal. Fed had some great net play in MC, which we saw none of in the final against Nadal.

tennis2tennis
05-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Know what you mean this was the match to experiment against a clay-court Spaniard!

Or Levy
05-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Yea, and I'm excited Sampras seem to have returned Rog that forehand he 'borrowed' from him before IW, but I still wanted to see him coming in more.

I'm glad the FH is working, though.

rosamunda
05-08-2007, 02:53 PM

I got the impression it was deliberate and that he was practising a load of controlled moonballing - his forehand in particular was going higher over the net than usual with lots of weight on it.

Or Levy
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Coming in doesn't mean much if he doesn't do it when playing Nadal. Fed had some great net play in MC, which we saw none of in the final against Nadal.

Good point, but he needs to build up confidence in that.

Still a good match, with one exception.

Red again?

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I got the impression it was deliberate and that he was practising a load of controlled moonballing - his forehand in particular was going higher over the net than usual with lots of weight on it.

Might well be, indeed. I noticed that too.
Worked well today, but we'll have to wait and see whether it is indeed the proper tactic to play Rafa... at least he seemed to be in good control of the longer rallies, which is a good sign.

Rommella
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM

:D Now, Roger's getting it.

Billabong
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
The forehand and the serve are the elements Roger seemed to have lost in his last 4 tournaments, and finally he got them back today, so we can all be happy about that:yeah: Hopefully he'll continue to use them well in his next matches:worship: GO FED:yeah:!

oz_boz
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Fed :yeah:

5th Nadal def Fed final in a row on clay coming up? Canas on Fed's side of the draw could have spiced it up a little. :yawn:

LinkMage
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't understand this notion that he needs to go to the net more. Every time he goes to the net against Nadal, he gets passed left and right.

kobulingam
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Federer is trying to be "more like" Nadal. Wrong strategy.

nobama
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Might well be, indeed. I noticed that too.
Worked well today, but we'll have to wait and see whether it is indeed the proper tactic to play Rafa... at least he seemed to be in good control of the longer rallies, which is a good sign.He needs to come in against Nadal, but if he's sucking from the back of the court he won't beat Nadal even if he does come in. I'm not as concerned about his net play, I want his FH and serve back.

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
He needs to come in against Nadal, but if he's sucking from the back of the court he won't beat Nadal even if he does come in. I'm not as concerned about his net play, I want his FH and serve back.

Both his serve AND his FH seemed to be working pretty well today. Could still be better, but at least it's on the way back up.

tennis2tennis
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Federer is trying to be "more like" Nadal. Wrong strategy.

yeah i think i say him pick at his ass!;)

nobama
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Both his serve AND his FH seemed to be working pretty well today. Could still be better, but at least it's on the way back up.
I hope whatever came back today doesn't leave again. Without the serve and FH I feel he has no chance against Nadal whether he comes in or not.

scoobs
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I thought that was his best match on clay so far this year in terms of his own consistent level of play. Almagro didn't play quite at his best but Federer just handled him with authority anyway.

tennis2tennis
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I thought that was his best match on clay so far this year in terms of his own consistent level of play. Almagro didn't play quite at his best but Federer just handled him with authority anyway.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/customavatars/avatar14123_4.gif

is it me or is federer looking lovingly at nadal in your avatar

Allez
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Well one thing's for certain, he isn't going to beat Nadal from the back of the court. Not on this surface. I know Almagro was a potentially tricky customer but I want to see Roger attacking more. He needs to perfect this tactic BEFORE he has a chance to meet Nadal. I mean these days it seems Nadal is the one coming forward a bit more which was unthinkable a couple of seasons back. You can't stay behind the baseline and hope to beat Nadal on clay. Still I'm happy with this win and can only hope he can build on it confidence wise. I think that doubles match helped quite a bit as well ;)

stebs
05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't understand this notion that he needs to go to the net more. Every time he goes to the net against Nadal, he gets passed left and right.

The stats say that it is a good tactic and that he is winning more points when he comes in.

merlin
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Well one thing's for certain, he isn't going to beat Nadal from the back of the court. Not on this surface. I know Almagro was a potentially tricky customer but I want to see Roger attacking more. He needs to perfect this tactic BEFORE he has a chance to meet Nadal. I mean these days it seems Nadal is the one coming forward a bit more which was unthinkable a couple of seasons back. You can't stay behind the baseline and hope to bit Nadal on clay. Still I'm happy with this win and can only hope he can build on it confidence wise. I think that doubles match helped quite a bit as well ;)

The only reason I see him working on a more controlled baseline game is to help him when returning Nadal's 1st serve. If he tries to beat Raffa at his own game, Federer will lose worse than usual.

rosamunda
05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Well one thing's for certain, he isn't going to beat Nadal from the back of the court. Not on this surface. I know Almagro was a potentially tricky customer but I want to see Roger attacking more. He needs to perfect this tactic BEFORE he has a chance to meet Nadal. I mean these days it seems Nadal is the one coming forward a bit more which was unthinkable a couple of seasons back. You can't stay behind the baseline and hope to bit Nadal on clay. Still I'm happy with this win and can only hope he can build on it confidence wise. I think that doubles match helped quite a bit as well ;)

He came in at the right moments today and made one or two blistering shots form the net, including rushing in to hit one great drive volley near the end of the match - quick-thinking.

All this 'come-to-the-net-stay-back, no-come-in' stuff is all very well, but you have to play the opponent you're playing at the time. His tactics today worked like a charm on Almagro, but I'm sure he'd have come in more if he'd needed to. There was just no need today. If anything, he needed to get his baseline game going and practise some patience as well as his shots. He did just that and it was a convincing win, especially bearing in mind that this match had the potential to be really tricky.

ranaldo
05-08-2007, 03:45 PM
A fairly tidy match.

Forehand working: Check
Serve working: Check

Fed should take a lot of confidence from this match into the next round. No choking while serving for the set and match. Almagro played pretty well but Fed got the break and protected his service games well.

I agree on the serve which was phenomenal early on (i think he hit 10 or so straight first serves in). But I still don't understand why he insists on adding so much spin on the ball on his forehand. He doesn't need to. That's why a part from 2 or 3 clean winners, he never really bothered him that much with respect to his own standards of course.
He will need to practise those midcourt forehands and come in more next time.

Allez
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
He came in at the right moments today and made one or two blistering shots form the net, including rushing in to hit one great drive volley near the end of the match - quick-thinking.

All this 'come-to-the-net-stay-back, no-come-in' stuff is all very well, but you have to play the opponent you're playing at the time. His tactics today worked like a charm on Almagro, but I'm sure he'd have come in more if he'd needed to. There was just no need today. If anything, he needed to get his baseline game going and practise some patience as well as his shots. He did just that and it was a convincing win, especially bearing in mind that this match had the potential to be really tricky.

Point taken. At the same time I'm sure Roger could probably beat almost everyone aside from Nadal (and perhaps Canas) from the back of the court. That's not to say that he should not practice coming in a bit more. In Monte Carlo Nadal seemed to be able to pass Roger at will. This wasn't because Roger is a clown at the net. It had a lot to do with how he was constructing his approach shots. If you come in behind crap shots then you're just inviting trouble. Roddick tried that against Roger but it didn't work very well until perhaps from Shanghai onwards minus the Austalian Open :eek:

Roger is not going to out muscle Nadal from the back of the court. He needs to use every trick in the book to beat him. That said I think he should be wary of falling into the Roddick trap where every match is about Nadal. OK I've just contradicted myself right there but that's why I'm not a tennis coach ;)

rofe
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree on the serve which was phenomenal early on (i think he hit 10 or so straight first serves in). But I still don't understand why he insists on adding so much spin on the ball on his forehand. He doesn't need to. That's why a part from 2 or 3 clean winners, he never really bothered him that much with respect to his own standards of course.
He will need to practise those midcourt forehands and come in more next time.

I think he is gradually easing into his forehand. He had lost confidence in it so he was adding a lot of safety into his shots and less penetration.

guga2120
05-08-2007, 04:08 PM
good match for Roger, gee, i wonder what the final of this tournament will be??

Beat
05-08-2007, 04:17 PM
:)

doris_hdz
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Go Roger!!

GlennMirnyi
05-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Rome. last. year. :rolleyes:

Clara Bow
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Best play I have seen by Roger for a while. Nice to see him not shanking forehands. And the serve was looking good. This will likely fill him with confidence for the later rounds and he is starting here with a higher level of play than MC.

I still find Almagro to be one of the most enjoyable players to watch on the surface when he is playing to his abilities- and hope that he one day gets consistency to go with his talent.

tcorinna
05-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Congrats Fede :) Nice to see good reviews :) I'm happy everything went that good:)

GOOO FEDE :worship: :worship:

nanoman
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
The stats say that it is a good tactic and that he is winning more points when he comes in.

The stats are good, because maybe, just maybe he only comes in to whack the ball. I have seen plenty times he comes in to hit an average difficulty-volley -> he get past.

Seriously, I don't understand the logic of coming in. Sampras comes in all the time and get destroyed by 3rd grade claycourters. Fed with a weaker serve, an arguabaly worse volley needs to come to beat one the best claycourter ever ?! Gimme me a break.
Fed's strength is his baseline play. By coming he'll degrade himself to a hopeless clayclown.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
so easy for Fed...

stebs
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
The stats are good, because maybe, just maybe he only comes in to whack the ball. I have seen plenty times he comes in to hit an average difficulty-volley -> he get past.

Seriously, I don't understand the logic of coming in. Sampras comes in all the time and get destroyed by 3rd grade claycourters. Fed with a weaker serve, an arguabaly worse volley needs to come to beat one the best claycourter ever ?! Gimme me a break.
Fed's strength is his baseline play. By coming he'll degrade himself to a hopeless clayclown.

Well, you're wrong. His net points won are always very high and even if you take a fraction off assuming they were awesome approaches it is a very positive ratio. If you every watched Sampras you will see that on clay he didn't S&V like a maniac and came in very selectively. The logic of coming in is that if you can't beat someone from the back you need to try something else to beat them.

jazar
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
almagro had 2 opponents: federer and himself

rofe
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, you're wrong. His net points won are always very high and even if you take a fraction off assuming they were awesome approaches it is a very positive ratio. If you every watched Sampras you will see that on clay he didn't S&V like a maniac and came in very selectively. The logic of coming in is that if you can't beat someone from the back you need to try something else to beat them.

Well Fed needs very good approach shots to have any chance of making a winnable volley against Nadal. The only way he can create very good approach shots is to either serve well and/or have complete confidence in his forehand. In the MC final he was struggling with his forehand and serve so increasing the number of volleys would have finished the match quicker. He had no option but to stay on the baseline in that match.

nobama
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM

I agree with everything except 'he'd have come in more if he'd needed to'. He needs to do that against Nadal (and I think he knows it too) but for some reason doesn't.

nanoman
05-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, you're wrong. His net points won are always very high and even if you take a fraction off assuming they were awesome approaches it is a very positive ratio.

His netpoints win % is always very high because nowadays he always only comes in when his approach shot is good.
Btw you should also look at is his % win when he hit an overhead. It is well over 80%. Maybe he should only hit overheads. No more backhands and forehands... same logic.

If you every watched Sampras you will see that on clay he didn't S&V like a maniac and came in very selectively.

Sampras found out the hard way. Coming in without a awesome approach shot doesn't work on clay.

The logic of coming in is that if you can't beat someone from the back you need to try something else to beat them.

Yes, try things that will work even less likely. Maybe hitting overheads only isn't too far off. ;)

marcRD
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM

His net points won ratio is only high because he comes in when Nadal is really outplayed and still Nadal wins many of those points. Many of those net points won are also smashes. If you take a look at Federer when playing Nadal you will see that almost always when he gets the chanse to hit a good approach shot and go to the net he takes the oppurtunity. Ofcourse he cant just chip and charge on Nadals 2nd serves on clay, he cant consistently play serve and volley on clay. That is just crazy stuff, that is not how you play clay tennis.

The whole idea that Federer should play ala Sampras on clay is totaly absurd. I think Federer goes to the net just as much as he is allowed to do against Nadal and in rome he is allowed a little more because of the fast surface, it is no mysterious reason why he didnt use the strategy as often in RG, the clay is much slower there.

nanoman
05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Well said Marc, well said. I still think the serve is the key for Fed to win against Nadal. From there on he can dominate and pull himself through his serve games.
But too many times with Fed, he plays a very loose serve game and gets broken. Against other opponent, that's not a huge problem, because Fed's a very good breaker of the serve. But against the Nadal serve, he is always on the back food from the word go, which makes such a loose serve game fatal.
Concentrate on your serve, Fed !

marcRD
05-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I think both the serve and return is a problem really, his returns of serve on clay are quite mediocre and Nadal takes full advantage of this. Also Federer needs to attack Nadals 2nd serve alot more, but this seems totaly beyond Federers ability, I have never really seen him consistently attack any players 2nd serve. I dont know if it is one of those things Federer practice, returning 2nd serves aggresively, he just seems to be very lazy in this part of his game.

holagirl56
05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Nice win by Roger; it's good that he can actually defend the break and hold service. This should give him a lot of confidence into the next round, and it sounds like everything seems to be working.

Thank God. :p

Jim Courier
05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Federer needs to go to the net more often but he also needs to moonball crosscourt like he was Bruguera more often as his neutral baseline strategy, even Nadal has a hard time with it when he does it well. When he gets the shorter ball he can get in for the kill (easier said than done).
What he needs to do less often is going for a baseline strongarm contest with Nadal, on clay it's like a taekwondo man going to the ground against a brasilian ji-jitsu master.

ycpg
05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I really believe this is Fed's year to win something on clay and I REALLY hope it is the French. Don't get me wrong I like Nadal, but I like Roger more........and I like Novak best.

Uraitan
05-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Congrats, Roger !!!

Great win for Roger ... :woohoo: :yippee:

Roger Federer !!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Art&Soul
05-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Way to go ROGI, keep it up yeah

Forehander
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
phew... the first round against almagro got me really worried hey =P so good that he came through

stebs
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
His netpoints win % is always very high because nowadays he always only comes in when his approach shot is good.
Btw you should also look at is his % win when he hit an overhead. It is well over 80%. Maybe he should only hit overheads. No more backhands and forehands... same logic.

This is true but yesterday he wasn't even coming in when he would've been able to put the ball away no problem. I don't know if you watched the MC final but there were times when instead of picking on a short ball to whip it into the corner and come in he would put more spin on it step back and put a rally he was controlling back into neutral.

Sampras found out the hard way. Coming in without a awesome approach shot doesn't work on clay.

Yes, he did. But he didn't play S&V on clay as you suggested.

Apemant
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I think both the serve and return is a problem really, his returns of serve on clay are quite mediocre

His returns are like that on all surfaces; he just doesn't go for return winners or making a pressure right away. Even Ljubo vs. Acasuso returned really aggressively on 2nd serves; Roger seems to be content just slicing the serve back - perhaps because he's used to being able to outplay nearly anyone in the subsequent rally.

But I really don't see why he COULDN'T try to be more aggressive on 2nd serves. Why not at least try? I don't get it, really.

neme6
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
maybe that's what Fed needed to start the tournament stronger, facing a "tough" opponent in the 1st round.

Bremen
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Good job so far Roger!! Who does he play next?