Federer-Sampras Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer-Sampras Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur

jeevs
05-08-2007, 04:29 AM
http://www.sport365.fr/la-une/article_164810_1344_Sampras-Federer-en-exhibition-.shtml
http://www.sports.fr/fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/200719/une-exhibition-sampras-federer-_133249.html?popup

Translation:"After training together in March, Pete Sampras and Roger Federer are publicly going to confront one another. This as part of a demonstration in Kuala Lumpur and then in Macao before the end of the year, as announced by the worldwide number 1, on Sunday in Rome."

This was predicted some time before by SI author Jon Wertheim.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/02/06/mailbag/index.html

As he says,if this is going to happen,Federer better win it.Or some tongues shall never stop wagging.

Xristos
05-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Intresting this will be.

merlin
05-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Speaking as someone who still thinks Sampras has the edge in the "Greatest of All-Time" comparison, I just hope he isn't embarrassed. If it's competitive, this will be awesome to watch. One thing is for sure: you know Sampras will train his butt off for this. Now I just need some more sources to confirm the match, so I actually believe it!

BigAlbinoDonky
05-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Fed wouldn't do it if he thought he'd dominate Pete to the point of embarrassment...he's too respectful for that. This will be like the last Rocky movie....Pete is the old, former champ, but he still has a "beast" inside of him. Fed is the young, current dominator. It'll be good entertainment.

sodman12
05-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Well they played in the backyard and Pete was happy about his preformance.

Marek.
05-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Federer has to win this because he needs to prove that victory over Sampras at Wimbledon wasn't a fluke.;)

Xristos
05-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Whens the actual date for this?

merlin
05-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Purely guessing on Pete's current ability to perform, I'd predict a Fed win along the lines of 6-3 7-6. Pete might possibly get a set off of him, it being an exhibition and all, but as several have said, Fed has more to lose in the match-up, so I think he'd kick it up a notch if he lost a set, to ensure the win. I'd still root for a Sampras victory. I hope they play on grass!

Of course, as far as I can tell this hasn't been confirmed beyond a couple lines on a French sports site, so we'll see how it pans out.

jeevs
05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Whens the actual date for this?

Heard rumours that it will be after Shanghai masters(November).
And there will be two matches ?

Or Levy
05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I could see it coming a mile away.

Do we know the surface? Grass?

stebs
05-08-2007, 08:35 AM
This is farcical. Federer cannot complain about the length of the season and te number of matches and yet keep on playing these exho's.

RonE
05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Can't wait! :D

DavyNavy
05-08-2007, 08:50 AM
ooo...
i hope i'll be in kl at that time!!!!

jitterbug
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I'll be in KL if it's after Shanghai ;)

Mimi
05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
i am scared, roger please leave pete some pride, gives him a few games :wavey:

moon language
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Exhibitions are just for fun. It doesn't matter who wins, it will be fun to see the two legends hitting together.

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Don't worry. It's an exho - meant for FUN.

So, most probable scenario: 1 set Pete, 1 set Rogi, third set: "Okay. Let's see who's the lucky one today." ;)

azmad_88
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
:woohoo: finally SOMETHING IN MY COUNTRY!

brent-o
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Nobody ever gets steamrolled in an exhibition. It's planned to be a "competitive" match.

sarciness
05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
This is farcical. Federer cannot complain about the length of the season and te number of matches and yet keep on playing these exho's.

Why not!? A couple of exhibition matches are nothing compared to the grind of tournament after tournament, are they now? If a marathoner was forced to run 10 marathons a year and complained, you wouldn't have a go at them for running a 10k fun run would you?

stebs
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM

It will probably be fixed to reach a third set TB and then they will see what happens.

stebs
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Why not!? A couple of exhibition matches are nothing compared to the grind of tournament after tournament, are they now? If a marathoner was forced to run 10 marathons a year and complained, you wouldn't have a go at them for running a 10k fun run would you?

Lets not get into analogies. Point is, if you are complaining that the length of the season is wearing on your body then playing after the season is over is not exactly proof that you think you will be exhausted.

nobama
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Roger :smash:

sarciness
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Lets not get into analogies. Point is, if you are complaining that the length of the season is wearing on your body then playing after the season is over is not exactly proof that you think you will be exhausted.

At least not to the point of dying :p Exhibitions are for fun, and 2 or 3 fun matches a year (which let's face it bring more intrest to tennis than many of the ATP events) are not going to break your body down as much as playing 6 matches every fortnight week in week out.

Saying he can't play these is like saying "Ah! But he entered a non-compulsory tournament, the ATP can't possibly be overworking their athletes!"

Tomy
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I'll be in KL if it's after Shanghai ;)

ooo...
i hope i'll be in kl at that time!!!!

I hate you, and I hate you... :mad: :sad: :mad:

SBruguera
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I can´t wait for this!!
And I hope that Fed will let his Rolex at home this time.

guga2120
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Im sure Roger will go easy on him, not embarrass him too much.

Or Levy
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Roger :smash:

Why don't you like it? It's suppose to be after the masters.

I like it way better than the Rafa exo.

rosamunda
05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
At least not to the point of dying :p Exhibitions are for fun, and 2 or 3 fun matches a year (which let's face it bring more intrest to tennis than many of the ATP events) are not going to break your body down as much as playing 6 matches every fortnight week in week out.

Saying he can't play these is like saying "Ah! But he entered a non-compulsory tournament, the ATP can't possibly be overworking their athletes!"

I agree, plus it's not just about physical exhaustion, is it? The mental strain of tournament play has to be taken into account too, and the one exacerbates the other. And I don't see much psychological angst going on in exhos (apart from that of some fans, of course :rolleyes: ), let alone straining every sinew to win a point at all costs.

angiel
05-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Why are you scare my dear, Pete, Pete all the way.:worship: :worship: :worship: :D :angel:

ChinoRios4Ever
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
:eek: :eek:

Bobby
05-08-2007, 07:20 PM

There is no such thing as an interesting exhibition. If Federer thinks that the season is too long, then you would think that he would relax as soon as possible after Shanghai. Complaining about the schedule and playing an exhibition during the off-season just don't go together. But he probably gets paid well.

Lee
05-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Why not when you get paid big bucks to have a vacation in Asia plus some workout? :shrug:

The exhibition matches are less intense than most of the practise sessions between players during ATP tournaments.

Burrow
05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I could see it coming a mile away.

Do we know the surface? Grass?

wouldnt be surprised if it was on clay, federer will woop him.

angiel
05-08-2007, 07:34 PM
wouldnt be surprised if it was on clay, federer will woop him.

I think grass will win out here.:wavey: :worship: :D

guga2120
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I think grass will win out here.:wavey: :worship: :D
Didn't they already play on grass,when Roger was only 19??;)

RagingLamb
05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
that's interesting. I heard Pete say he wanted to play Federer in an Exhibition hours before he played Ginepri in River Oaks, he said something like "I would love to play him,...just give me 6 months to prep for it" lol.

Here's what I think will happen;
they'll be serious in that they still have to play a good match, but I fully expect Federer to take it easy on Pete, except for a few stellar shots to make a point or two to the world.

My prediction: 6-4, 6-4

D Optimist
05-08-2007, 07:52 PM
This guy (Federer) turn off from his records to exibitions games .Why ? He can take a lot of money very easy !

Johnny Groove
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Will Federer wear his Rolex? :o

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Will Federer wear his Rolex? :o

I'm pretty sure he will. ;)

Johnny Groove
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure he will. ;)

Then Sampras might have a shot :rolls:

danton
05-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Exactly! there has been quite a few lately and although I of course don't have a problem with exhibition matches but, I do wonder at them complaining they are playing too much tennis and then go and play so many exhibitions in addition to the tour obligations.

Eden
05-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Exhibitions are just for fun. It doesn't matter who wins, it will be fun to see the two legends hitting together.

Be prepared that MTF will go crazy the day when the event takes place ;) The outcome of the match will be very important for a lot of people on GM.

While we still wait for the official announcement of the match I think this is exactly an event which many people were hoping for: An encounter between Sampras and Federer - the two best players of the last years.
It's a pity that they only played one match when Pete was around.

Roger has high respects for the former greats of the sport and he must be very honoured to play against Pete. The outcome of this show-match won't change anything about the achievements of any of both players.

Rogiman
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
If Federer plays to his abilities - it's a demolition.
If he doesn't - it's useless.

The things people do for money :rolleyes:

danton
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Both players have a point to prove - I think they will both approach it really competitively.

sykotique
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Rule of thumb: Don't take exhibitions seriously. Seriously.

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Then Sampras might have a shot :rolls:

Nah... Rogi wore his Rolex in Seoul against Rafa last year as well. ;)

Johnny Groove
05-08-2007, 08:57 PM
If Federer plays to his abilities - it's a demolition.
If he doesn't - it's useless.

The things people do for money :rolleyes:

Roger is such a slut :o

RagingLamb
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
what's the point of wearing a watch to a tennis match?

"Hmm...I'm up a break, serving well...wait, what time is it? Gilmore Girls is on at 10:00".

I don't get it.

guga2120
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Both players have a point to prove - I think they will both approach it really competitively.:confused: What does Federer have to prove?? The fact that he can beat an old retired player that he already beat when he was a kid.

Johnny Groove
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Nah... Rogi wore his Rolex in Seoul against Rafa last year as well. ;)

But he also wore it in Kooyong, the battle of the surfaces, and the doubles match in Rome :angel: Maybe he does it so that he doesnt waste too much time on court before thier cuddly time :angel:

"Hmm...I'm up a break, serving well...wait, what time is it? Gilmore Girls is on at 10:00".

I don't get it.

:spit: :lol:

Sunset of Age
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
But he also wore it in Kooyong, the battle of the surfaces, and the doubles match in Rome :angel: Maybe he does it so that he doesnt waste too much time on court before thier cuddly time :angel:

Rogi, he's such a Man Slut...
Ah, another thread derailed by perviness! :lol:

danton
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
:confused: What does Federer have to prove?? The fact that he can beat an old retired player that he already beat when he was a kid.

Exactly - would you want to be beaten by the person who you are compared to all the time, who is retired and 10 years older than you - very embarrasing.

moon language
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM

I don't get it.

I'm assuming he's sponsored by Rolex? I guess it's probably a good chance to please your sponsors since a lot of photos will be taken.

MisterQ
05-08-2007, 11:05 PM
They should play a match, each of them standing on the tip of one of the Petronas Towers. What an ego boost!

guga2120
05-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Exactly - would you want to be beaten by the person who you are compared to all the time, who is retired and 10 years older than you - very embarrasing.
I think everybody knows that the only way Sampras would beat Roger is that if Federer let him do it, im sure in the exo, Roger will make it intresting though by throwing him a few games.

Lets be honest Sampras at 25 could not beat Roger, especially on clay.

merlin
05-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I think everybody knows that the only way Sampras would beat Roger is that if Federer let him do it, im sure in the exo, Roger will make it intresting though by throwing him a few games.

Lets be honest Sampras at 25 could not beat Roger, especially on clay.

On clay, no. On grass/hardcourt, of course he could. At his best on grass, Sampras would win 2/3, at least. My thought has always been if Sampras/Federer played in the same era, Fed would win the matchup by the same margin as Sampras over Agassi. Feels about right. To say Sampras couldn't beat him at all is just absurd.

Roger will win this, though, because it would be far too embarrassing for him not to. Still, it should be great fun, and maybe Sampras will pull something out of his hat. The match better be on grass!

guga2120
05-08-2007, 11:49 PM
On clay, no. On grass/hardcourt, of course he could. At his best on grass, Sampras would win 2/3, The match better be on grass!
2 out 3, :haha: , yeah right. You do know that they did play when Sampras was still playing right, for real, on grass? And Roger was half the player he is today, and Sampras a year later won a major. And the Agassi comparsion is not the same b/c Agassi was so up and down in his career, but he never lost to Sampras at Australia and in Paris and beat him more in Master Series,9-8, and he,Andre won 17 while Sampras won only a 11. You slow Sampras serve down like in Australia and on clay he was beatable clearly, and Roger returns as well as anybody, its a bad matchup for Pete.
If they played in their prime

On Clay Roger 10/10, easily
On Hard 9/10 Roger
On Grass 8/10 Roger

moon language
05-08-2007, 11:52 PM
2 out 3, :haha: , yeah right. You do know that they did play when Sampras was still playing right, for real, on grass? And Roger was half the player he is today, and Sampras a year later won a major. If they played in their prime

On Hard 9/10 Roger
On Grass 8/10 Roger

Here we go!

merlin
05-08-2007, 11:55 PM
2 out 3, :haha: , yeah right. You do know that they did play when Sampras was still playing right, for real, on grass? And Roger was half the player he is today, and Sampras a year later won a major. If they played in their prime

On Hard 9/10 Roger
On Grass 8/10 Roger

ummm...no.

Don't worry guys, I may be new here, but I am a pretty reasonable person and I tend to not bother with unreasonable claims :angel:

wimbledonfan
05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Guga you are nothing but a bias Federer fan . You provide nothing insightful to this forum so you're better off keeping your mouth shut . I also get the feeling you're very insecure about the outcome of this match and that even if Pete took a set , you'd downplay that accomplishment . Either way , you'll find excuses to make like most of the bias Federer trolls that frequent this board .

If you actually think Federer will win 8 out of 10 times on grass then you're probably smoking it .

Kip
05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
As he says,if this is going to happen,Federer better win it.Or some tongues shall never stop wagging.

Yeah, like it'll make a difference. :haha:

The people who belittle Federer to iun some way
build up Sampras are always going to b*tch no
matter what. Truth!

This exhibition means, NOTHING!

Well, except to milk money and for some
to live out a fantasy that this match
means anything.

guga2120
05-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Guga you are nothing but a bias Federer fan . You provide nothing insightful to this forum so you're better off keeping your mouth shut . I also get the feeling you're very insecure about the outcome of this match and that even if Pete took a set , you'd downplay that accomplishment . Either way , you'll find excuses to make like most of the bias Federer trolls that frequent this board .

If you actually think Federer will win 8 out of 10 times on grass then you're probably smoking it .

First off im not really a Federer fan.And im insecure about some stupid exo:confused: ,but your right there is no question if Sampras took a set off him, especially now i would downplay it. Roger beat Pete on his best surface at Wimbledon when he was 19, im not trying to build up Roger, its just the way it is. And 8 out 10 is being generous to Pete. I prefer many players to Roger, but he is and will always be a better and more complete player than Pete.

Marek.
05-09-2007, 01:03 AM
guga2120 is probably one of the least biased posters on this site.

merlin
05-09-2007, 01:47 AM
First off im not really a Federer fan.And im insecure about some stupid exo:confused: ,but your right there is no question if Sampras took a set off him, especially now i would downplay it. Roger beat Pete on his best surface at Wimbledon when he was 19, im not trying to build up Roger, its just the way it is. And 8 out 10 is being generous to Pete. I prefer many players to Roger, but he is and will always be a better and more complete player than Pete.

Basing your opinion off a single match when Sampras was still not exactly in his prime, and which was extremely close, pretty much completely undermines you. Sampras whooped Agassi's butt on clay once. I guess that means he's clearly the better clay court player, right!!??? And since Pete won on clay, Agassi must have lost every match they played on hard courts!!! It's such an obvious deduction. See how stupid that sounds? You can't make big claims like you have based on so little data.

There! I wash my hands of this! For now, anyway. I know how these Sampras/Federer things can go! :D

merlin
05-09-2007, 01:47 AM
guga2120 is probably one of the least biased posters on this site.

Less so biased than illogical, in this case.

Mimi
05-09-2007, 02:10 AM
don't underestimate pete, he did win 14 slams :rolleyes:

its not wise to compare their performances just by one match :rolleyes: , and even roger did beat pete in 01, it was a close 5 setter :rolleyes: , pete was almost 30 and was on the way to downhill :rolleyes:

i guess you are still painful that pete won more slams than agassi ;)?

2 out 3, :haha: , yeah right. You do know that they did play when Sampras was still playing right, for real, on grass? And Roger was half the player he is today, and Sampras a year later won a major. And the Agassi comparsion is not the same b/c Agassi was so up and down in his career, but he never lost to Sampras at Australia and in Paris and beat him more in Master Series,9-8, and he,Andre won 17 while Sampras won only a 11. You slow Sampras serve down like in Australia and on clay he was beatable clearly, and Roger returns as well as anybody, its a bad matchup for Pete.
If they played in their prime

On Hard 9/10 Roger
On Grass 8/10 Roger

guga2120
05-09-2007, 02:13 AM
guess you still painful that pete won more slams than agassi ?

yeah its painful, especially during clay court season, right now, i remember all those French Opens Pete won.:)

Mimi
05-09-2007, 02:14 AM
wise words, both roger and pete are great champions, but to say pete would always lose even when they both compete at their primie is not really wise :rolleyes:

Basing your opinion off a single match when Sampras was still not exactly in his prime, and which was extremely close, pretty much completely undermines you. Sampras whooped Agassi's butt on clay once. I guess that means he's clearly the better clay court player, right!!??? And since Pete won on clay, Agassi must have lost every match they played on hard courts!!! It's such an obvious deduction. See how stupid that sounds? You can't make big claims like you have based on so little data.

There! I wash my hands of this! For now, anyway. I know how these Sampras/Federer things can go! :D

Mimi
05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
i think 7 wimbys weigh a lot heavier than one FO :)
yeah its painful, especially during clay court season, right now, i remember all those French Opens Pete won.:)

Forehander
05-09-2007, 08:27 AM
cool :) that's great news. always wanted to watch such match. Can trace back time and compare to two.

and did people forget the fact that it was Roger Federer that snapped Sampras's 31 games winning streak or something? I remember that was when Sampras was on a big streak going into wimbledon.

Ranko
05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I hope the match is played on grass...or maybe clay?

Roger The Great
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
If these guys really are playing, then we all should take this for what it is: Great entertainment for the fans between two of the legends of the sport.

As for getting riled up over what would have happened between these two if they had played in the same era... It's pointless speculation. Who's to say what would really have happened? It makes no sense to argue about it because there will never be an answer.

bokehlicious
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM

:retard:

Raquel
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
*bump*

An update on this - http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/278016/1/.html

Tennis: Sampras and Federer to meet in Asia tour
Posted: 24 May 2007 0124 hrs

HONG KONG : World number one Roger Federer and seven-times Wimbledon champion Pete Sampras will clash in a three-city Asian exhibition tour in November, organisers said on Wednesday.

Swiss maestro Federer and American master Sampras, considered among the two greatest players of all time, will meet in Kuala Lumpur, Seoul and then at the soon-to-be-launched Venetian Macau resort.

The two met at competitive level only once in their careers, in the fourth round of Wimbledon in 2001.

Federer won in five sets, effectively signalling the beginning of the end of Sampras' reign as world number one during which he won a record 14 Grand Slam titles.

"It will be a dream come true for me to play Pete again," Federer said in a recorded video message at the series' launch in Hong Kong.

Sampras, who retired from top-flight tennis in 2002, said he expects Federer to beat his 14 Grand Slam titles. The Swiss currently has 10.

"Playing Roger will be so special. He's dominating his generation as I had dominated mine but he's doing it much better than I ever did," he told reporters in a telephone interview from Los Angeles.

"I've been number one for a long period of time. He's probably going to break that record, he's on his way to winning more than 14, at least 17-18 majors the way he's playing," he said.

The series kicks off in Seoul on November 20, moves to the Malaysian capital on November 22 and concludes at the 15,000-seater Venetian Macau arena on November 24.

The Sampras-Federer showdown is part of a series of sporting exhibition events to mark opening of the Venetian, which will be the world's largest hotel and casino, this summer.

Highlights include a match between English Premier League champions Manchester United and China's national side and a basketball tournament featuring NBA sides Orlando Magic and the Cleveland Cavaliers. - AFP/de

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting quote from Pete. Not always been his view on things ;)

Merton
05-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Oh, the things top players will do just for the love of sport.

angiel
05-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Rule of thumb: Don't take exhibitions seriously. Seriously.

Why not????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: