Round 1 Rome: Federer vs Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Round 1 Rome: Federer vs Nadal

Tomy
05-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Yep, Federer will be playing against Nadal again, in a masters series... but this time they won't be alone on court. Roger will team up with his Swiss mate Stanlislas Wawrinka, while Rafa will join his friend Carlos Moya for a first round doubles match. I guess it'll be one of the first doubles match worth watching! I just hope this two guys team up some day... Rafa asked Roger to play RG with him last year, but Roger said that he already had a couple.
Anyways, who do you think will win this match? I have to vote for Federer/Wawrinka, they both have a much better volley than Nadal/Moya, plus Rafa won't be able to play his defensive game this time, while Roger can play almost in the same way as he does in singles.

Tnn74
05-07-2007, 02:09 AM
This is definitely a doubles match worth watching :bounce:
Imagine if they do agree to partner up and play doubles this year at RG;
Nadal play at the baseline and Fed at the net, wow , totally awesome :bowdown: :yeah:

ExcaliburII
05-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Nadal Moya will clinch it in Match TB

MaryWalsh
05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Rafa Moya. I hope. Wish I could watch!

Tomy
05-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Rafa Moya. I hope. Wish I could watch!

Same here... hope ESPN transmits it, though they never cover doubles.

brent-o
05-07-2007, 02:47 AM
They would be totally unstoppable if they ever teamed up in doubles. Would be fun to watch. Rafa running like mad in the back with Federer's great volleys in the front. Also, when they switched, Rafa's volleys aren't too shabby and Federer also plays great from the backcourt.

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Who cares its doubles.

Tomy
05-07-2007, 03:07 AM
Who cares its doubles.

Yep, but a great match probably, with 4 quality singles players, and the #1 and #2 inside the court. You can leave aside the rivalries, scores, and records from time to time, and try to actually enjoy watching some good tennis.

Uraitan
05-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Federer and Wawrinka :worship: :worship: :worship:

*Viva Chile*
05-07-2007, 04:32 AM
another thread that Tomy did and it already exists... :rolleyes:

If you want to make a new thread, you must to check if there's another that talk about the same, it's not the first time dude... :o

SBruguera
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
If Federer and Nadal were partners in a doubles match they wouldn´t be unstoppable. Most of the top doubles couples would beat them. Doubles dynamics are very different from the singles matches.

Medina
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
As much as i dont liek federer, i think he can take it out :)

Yappa
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Same here... hope ESPN transmits it, though they never cover doubles.

AFAIK there are only cameras on the Centre Court, so even if they wanted tho show the match, they couldn't.

Tomy
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
AFAIK there are only cameras on the Centre Court, so even if they wanted tho show the match, they couldn't.

Nope, they have cameras in at least 2 courts cause I'm watching two different matches at the same time right now on two different ESPNs, and they are both live.

Tomy
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
another thread that Tomy did and it already exists... :rolleyes:

There are no polls on this match, and I wanted to know what the MTF thought about the possible result.

If you want to make a new thread, you must to check if there's another that talk about the same, it's not the first time dude... :o

Really? Give me an example...

Eden
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Rafa asked Roger to play RG with him last year, but Roger said that he already had a couple.

Are you sure you don't mix up RG with the tournament in Madrid? Rafa wanted to play doubles with Roger in Madrid.

Yappa
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Nope, they have cameras in at least 2 courts cause I'm watching two different matches at the same time right now on two different ESPNs, and they are both live.

Yeah, my bad.

Eden
05-07-2007, 01:05 PM
If Federer and Nadal were partners in a doubles match they wouldn´t be unstoppable. Most of the top doubles couples would beat them. Doubles dynamics are quite very different from the singles matches.

Well said :yeah:

On topic: Nadal/Moya will win the match today. Stan is just coming back from an injury.

Sunset of Age
05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Well said :yeah:

On topic: Nadal/Moya will win the match today. Stan is just coming back from an injury.

Yes, I don't think Fed and Stan have a chance. I've been watching the match so far and Stan is clearly the 'weakest link'. Anyway, doesn't matter - it's very nice of Fed to play with him, helping him come back from his injury, as he said. :worship:

Eden
05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes, I don't think Fed and Stan have a chance. I've been watching the match so far and Stan is clearly the 'weakest link'. Anyway, doesn't matter - it's very nice of Fed to play with him, helping him come back from his injury, as he said. :worship:

Yes, it's indeed nice of Roger :)

I was surprised that he decided to play doubles in Rome as well, but it's good for him to get a bit match practice before the singles tournament starts for him.

Tomy
05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Are you sure you don't mix up RG with the tournament in Madrid? Rafa wanted to play doubles with Roger in Madrid.

I'm pretty sure it was RG, but I red it on a newspaper last year, so I guess I could be wrong. I remember it said that Rafa sent Roger an SMS with his cell phone, saying "Quieres jugar conmigo, Rogelio?" ("Wanna play with me, Rogi?") and that Roger told him that he wouldn't play doubles cause he wanted to focus on singles, and that he already had a doubles partner anyways. I just don't know how can the press know about this stuff...

Sunset of Age
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it was RG, but I red it on a newspaper last year, so I guess I could be wrong. I remember it said that Rafa sent Roger an SMS with his cell phone, saying "Quieres jugar conmigo, Rogelio?" ("Wanna play with me, Rogi?") and that Roger told him that he wouldn't play doubles cause he wanted to focus on singles, and that he already had a doubles partner anyways. I just don't know how can the press know about this stuff...

Nay, it was, as Eden said, before Madrid.
And for how the press came to find out... Rafa is a pretty upbeat, happy guy, so I guess he let it slip through during an interview.

For some silly reason, I DO see it happen one day, anyhow. ;)