Rampaging Rafael in Corrida de Toros in Barcelona [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rampaging Rafael in Corrida de Toros in Barcelona

mallorn
04-21-2007, 02:10 PM
The draw for Rafa's next tournament, Barcelona, is out.

(1) NADAL, Rafael ESP v BYE
SANGUINETTI, Davide ITA v VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL
LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR v JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE
GAUDIO, Gaston ARG v (13) SODERLING, Robin SWE

(11) SAFIN, Marat RUS v BOLELLI, Simone ITA
STARACE, Potito ITA v QUERREY, Sam USA
GABASHVILI, Teimuraz RUS v SPADEA, Vincent USA
BYE v (8) CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG

(4) NALBANDIAN, David ARG v BYE
MARTIN, Alberto ESP v FALLA, Alejandro COL
QUALIFIER v (WC) MANTILLA, Felix ESP
(WC) GRANOLLERS-PUJOL, Marcel ESP v (16) MOYA, Carlos ESP

(10) STEPANEK, Radek CZE v PAVEL, Andrei ROU
QUALIFIER v BERLOCQ, Carlos ARG
(WC) VICENTE, Fernando ESP v GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA
BYE v (5) FERRER, David ESP

(6) NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN v BYE
SEPPI, Andreas ITA v KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO
BECKER, Benjamin GER v KUNITSYN, Igor RUS
HERNANDEZ, Oscar ESP v (9) TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS

(15) CALLERI, Agustin ARG v (WC) LOPEZ, Marc ESP
GALVANI, Stefano ITA v QUALIFIER
GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP v LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
BYE v (3) ROBREDO, Tommy ESP

(7) FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP v BYE
QUALIFIER v (WC) SALVA-VIDAL, Bartolome ESP
VANEK, Jiri CZE v QUALIFIER
MIRNYI, Max BLR v (12) CANAS, Guillermo ESP

(14) ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP v QUALIFIER
VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA v KOROLEV, Evgeny RUS
QUALIFIER v ESCHAUER, Werner AUT
BYE v (2) DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS

Hopefully he'll get to lift the enormous trophy for the third time in a row.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6703/170fr5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Buena suerte, Rafa! :bounce:

PS. Sorry for the silly title, I couldn't come up with anything more imaginative. :rolleyes: "Rampaging Rafael" is what the ATP site called him in MC. ;) If someone has a better idea, please share!

Tzar
04-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Go Rafaaaa! I hope to see a nalby-nadal match.. who donts!?

Sunset of Age
04-21-2007, 11:57 PM
PS. Sorry for the silly title, I couldn't come up with anything more imaginative. :rolleyes: "Rampaging Rafael" is what the ATP site called him in MC. ;) If someone has a better idea, please share!

I think it's pretty good, actually. :lol:
Hope he'll be doing well there. And don't drop that tropy, Raf! ;)

mallorn
04-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks Karin. Well, since there are no other suggestions atm, I guess we'll keep it for now.

Nadal aims to lift Barcelona title hat-trick

Posted on 21 April 2007 - 14:40

http://images.supersport.co.za/NadalRafael070412inactionAbg.jpg

Rafael Nadal will bid to extend a winning home tradition as he aims for a third successive title at the Barcelona Open beginning on Monday.

The world number two, who excels on clay, is among five Spaniards who have lifted trophies over the past six editions at the Real Club.

The odd man out is Argentine Gaston Gaudio, who won in 2002, two years before lifting the Roland Garros title.

Nadal began his 2007 clay-court campaign at the Monte Carlo Masters. But his job this spring is filled with challenges almost every week.

The 20-year-old is defending winner's points from a swag of events, including Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome and Paris.

Though Roger Federer is not competing this week, training privately instead with coach Tony Roche, Nadal can do little to make up immediate ground with his rival, whom he beat in three of four spring finals a year ago.

After the March hardcourt season in the United States, Nadal has eased comfortably onto his preferred surface.

"I'm happy with my level, I'm playing good forehands and backhands," said the two-times Roland Garros winner. "I'm very happy with the game, the full game.

"I"m feeling better movement on clay."

Nadal heads a field of dedicated clay-court seeds, with Russian Nikolay Davydenko standing second and fellow Spaniard Tommy Robredo on third.
Argentine David Nalbandian will try to kick-start his campaign on the surface after an early Monte Carlo defeat.

Fifth-seed David Ferrer has confidence from a quarterfinal at Monte Carlo, though his run ended as he ran into Federer.

Finn Jarkko Nieminin takes the sixth seeding ahead of 2001 Barcelona winner Juan Carlos Ferrero and eighth-seed Juan Chela of Argentina.

Briton Andy Murray would have been a crowd attraction with his top-ten status and Barcelona training background. But the teenager was forced out by a back injury in Monte Carlo and is now due to resume at Estoril in a week's time.

The first eight seeds have byes, with Nadal due to face the winner from Belgian Kristof Vliegen and Italian veteran Davide Sanguinetti.

Russian Marat Safin, who won the title seven years ago, is also in the mix on an 11th seeding with an opening match against Italian Simone Bolelli.

http://www.supertennis.co.za/default.asp?id=212750&des=article&scat=supertennis/atp

Johnny Groove
04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Nadal could possibly face Safin 4th round and Nalbandian QF's. No doubt they'll both screw it up :awww:

Xristos
04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Go Rafa!

Please Marat v Rafa!

rafagirlno1
04-23-2007, 03:46 AM
congrats champ and i am sure there is no one who is going to stop Rafa this entire clay court season!!:)
Now its time to Rock in home and retain the title tht he won for the last two years !!:cool:
go get it champ and keep proving tht on clay ,Rafa is unstoappable !

Vamos Rafa!!:cool:

MaryWalsh
04-23-2007, 04:38 AM
go Rafa!

MariaV
04-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Nadal could possibly face Safin 4th round and Nalbandian QF's. No doubt they'll both screw it up :awww:

No doubt here, sorry Jonathan. :awww: :sad: :(
Congrats on your tennis team victories, I've read about them in the chat threads. :hatoff: :wavey:

Agassi Fan
04-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Go Rafa!
Win this title again!

MariaV
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Nadal Meets the Press

Rafael Nadal met the media at the Open Seat 2007 Monday to reflect on his third consecutive title at Masters Series Monte Carlo Sunday and to look ahead to his quest to claim a hat-trick of titles in Barcelona this week. Sweden’s Mats Wilander is the only player to have won three consecutive titles in Barcelona during the Open Era.

On his chances in Barcelona, where he comes in with a 67-match winning streak on clay, Nadal said: “I will play the best I can. I’m happy I reached clay in good shape. I’ve got good feelings to play Barcelona. It means I play home, in one of the most prestigious and historical tournaments of the world."

On his Monte-Carlo triumph and his 6-4, 6-4 victory in the final over Roger Federer, Nadal said: “I tried to play closer to the net, I improved my crosscourt backhand. My serve was my worst part... Getting a win against the No. 1 always makes you feel confident. [Winning] Indian Wells also gave me confidence, I feel good." :D :D :yeah:

On his friendly relationship with Roger Federer: “It’s hard to get really friends as I don´t speak good English and he doesn´t speak good Spanish, but among those on the circuit who don´t speak Spanish he is one of those I get along with better.”

Dedicating his biography to Open Seat 2007 Tournament Director Sixte Cambra: “I want to dedicate this book to Sixte Cambra to thank him for the new center court and for helping the tournament reach its level of the greatness.”

http://www.openseatbarcelona.com/1/en/news/2007/nadal_arrives.asp

guga2120
04-24-2007, 06:38 PM
i hope he plays Canas, i want to see what Canas has on clay against him.

MariaV
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Nadal/Salva-Vidal Top Compatriots in Barcelona

The wild card duo of Rafael Nadal and Bartolome Salva-Vidal defeated fellow Spaniards David Ferrer and Fernando Vicente 6-3, 6-4 on Tuesday in Barcelona to advance to the second round at Open Seat 2007. :yeah: :D

Nadal, who finished as the 2005 doubles runner-up (w/ Feliciano Lopez), and 19-year-old Salva-Vidal are teaming up for the fourth time. They reached the Chennai final in the opening week of the 2007 season.

They next face seventh seeds Julian Knowle and Michael Kohlmann, who are reuniting for the first time in nearly two years. The German-Austrian duo has a 31-26 team record, and won two titles together (2002 Copenhagen, 2003 Chennai).

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/doubles/news/

ORDER OF PLAY - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
PISTA CENTRAL 10:00 am
[Q] Y Schukin (RUS) vs [2] N Davydenko (RUS)
Not Before 12:45 PM
[WC] F Mantilla (ESP) vs [16] C Moya (ESP) (TV)
Not Before 3:15 PM
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs K Vliegen (BEL) (TV)

*Meesh*
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't see anyone in his draw troubling him much - another trophy for Rafa on the way I think!! :)

mallorn
04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
^^ One match at a time. ;)
Nadal extends clay winning streak

25/04/07

A ruthless Rafael Nadal extended his winning streak on clay to 68 matches on Wednesday as he opened his bid for a third successive Barcelona Open title with a 6-1 6-2 demolition of Belgian Kristof Vliegen.

The top seed needed exactly one hour to advance to the third round, giving up just one more game than he did when beating Vliegen in Monte Carlo last week.

Vliegen held serve in the opening game but that was as good as it got as a rampant Nadal reeled off six straight games.

Nadal broke serve again early in the second set and though the Belgian did manage to win two games the result was never in doubt.

The Spaniard will meet the winner of the all-Swedish clash between 13th seed Robin Soderling and former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson.

Nadal is bidding to become only the second man, after Swede Mats Wilander, to win the Barcelona Open in three successive years.

Second seed Nikolay Davydenko overcame a troublesome right shoulder and a difficult opponent in fellow Russian Yuri Schukin to reach the third round.

Davydenko, beaten in his first match in Monte Carlo last week, struggled for form again before scrambling his way to a 6-4 3-6 6-2 victory.

The world number four looked on course for an easy win when he led by a set and 2-0, but world number 218 Schukin, who was appearing in his first ATP Tour event of the year, hit back to level.

Davydenko was then broken in the first game of the final set but after having treatment at 1-2 reeled off the next five games to set up a clash with Italian Filippo Volandri, who ousted Spanish 14th seed Nicolas Almagro 6-7 6-4 6-1.

Eighth seed Juan Ignacio Chela also advanced with a 6-3 6-3 victory over American Vince Spadea.

He will play Potito Starace, who beat Marat Safin's conqueror and fellow Italian Simone Bolelli 6-4 6-3.

Twelfth seed Guillermo Canas hammered Czech Jiri Vanek 6-1 6-1, while former Barcelona champion Carlos Moya ended the comeback of Felix Mantilla with a 3-6 6-3 6-4 victory over his fellow Spaniard.

Mantilla, in his first tournament for 18 months after overcoming skin cancer, pushed Moya for more than two hours before the former French Open champion sealed victory on his second match point.
Copyright (c) Reuters 2007, All Rights Reserved.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport.html?fSKU=2007-04-25T152139Z_01_B653788_RTRIDST_0_OUKSP-UK-TENNIS-MEN-BARCELONA.XML

Rafa is playing second tomorrow.

ORDER OF PLAY - Thursday, April 26, 2007

PISTA CENTRAL start 10:30 am
[Q] B Pashanski (SRB) vs [5] D Ferrer (ESP)

Not Before 12:45 PM
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs T Johansson (SWE) (TV)

I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I'm not going to have internet access, so here's a big cheer from me for the rest of the tournament. :)

Good luck Rafa!
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/k015.gif

Derek1206
04-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Rafa. :clap2:

Good luck in the next round. :yeah:

MaryWalsh
04-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Go Rafa!

cc2monac
04-26-2007, 01:16 PM
rafa won 6/1 6/4! congrats! i love how he always knows when and how to play better to finish a match! good luck for your next round rafa!

MariaV
04-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, well done Rafa! :yeah: :bounce: :bigclap: Potito Starace next.

MaryWalsh
04-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Yay Rafa!! Singles and doubles wins today!

MariaV
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I won't be able to see the matches but OOP for today.

PISTA CENTRAL 12:45 pm
[4] D Nalbandian (ARG) vs [5] D Ferrer (ESP)
Not Before 3:15 PM
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs P Starace (ITA)
[12] G Canas (ARG) vs [2] N Davydenko (RUS)
[1] M Knowles (BAH) / D Nestor (CAN) vs [WC] R Nadal (ESP) / B Salva-Vidal (ESP)

Rafa and Tomeu beat J Knowle (AUT) / M Kohlmann (GER) 60 64 in the 2nd rd yesterday.

*Meesh*
04-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Wooohoooooooooo!!! Another fairly easy win today (although he did get broken in the second set! :eek: )

Vamos Rafa!!!!!! :) :) :)

kandygram
04-28-2007, 04:41 AM
ORDER OF PLAY - Saturday, April 28, 2007

PISTA CENTRAL 1:00 pm
[15] A Calleri (ARG) vs [12] G Canas (ARG)

3:45 PM
[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs [5] D Ferrer (ESP)
[WC] R Nadal (ESP) / B Salva-Vidal (ESP) vs [3] J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR)

:bigwave:

cc2monac
04-28-2007, 05:31 PM
rafa won! 7/5 6/1!!! congrats!!!!!!!! best of luck for your final against cañas

cc2monac
04-28-2007, 08:19 PM
rafa also won his double 6/4 6/4 he will play 2 final but I must confess I will not support him in the double because he'll play my andrei pavel (if he wins I'll be happy but less than if it is andrei) anyway good luck rafa and congrats for this wonderful road in barça! I realy hope he'll keep his title!

MariaV
04-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Rafa Ready to Claim His Piece of History

Rafael Nadal is one victory away from becoming just the second player in the 55-year history of the Open Seat to win a hat-trick of titles after defeating fellow Spaniard David Ferrer 7-5, 6-1 Saturday to reach the final. Sunday's final between Nadal and Guillermo Canas will be the best-of-three sets, breaking with the tradition of five-set finals.

Nadal has not dropped a set during his run to the final, nor has he during his clay-court campaign, which began last week with his third consecutive title at Masters Series Monte-Carlo. On Sunday Nadal is seeking his 12th consecutive clay court title and his 72nd consecutive match win on his favorite surface.

The Spaniards traded breaks to start the match and Ferrer was able to hang with his younger countryman in physical baseline exchanges for much of the first set. Ferrer, who came into the match with 23 match wins on the season (fifth best on the ATP circuit), wasn't afraid to hit wide to Nadal's dangerous forehand. Nadal also missed a couple of early opportunities at the net.

Nadal had to scramble at 4-5 30/30 to avoid going down a set point when Ferrer looked in control of the point. But he won six of the next seven points to hold serve and break Ferrer to crack open the first set. In all, he won nine of the last 10 games of the match.

Nadal, who improved to an ATP-best 26-5 record on the season, described the win as his toughest victory of 2007. "I've won the most difficult match of the season. The first set was really tough. The key to win this match was to find the rhythm in my forehand. David is very quick in the court and one of the best players in the world. It was a very complicated match today."

http://www.openseatbarcelona.com/1/en/news/2007/day62.asp

And I cannot believe the incredible doubles results for Rafa and Tomeu.
Yesterday: Doubles - Quarterfinals
[WC] R Nadal (ESP) / B Salva-Vidal (ESP) d [1] M Knowles (BAH) / D Nestor (CAN) 76(1) 63 :eek: :eek: :hatoff: :bowdown: :worship:

And today after the singles semis: [WC] R Nadal (ESP) / B Salva-Vidal (ESP) d [3] J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR) 64 64 :hatoff: :bowdown: :worship:

MariaV
04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Nadal Voted 'Player 10' by Media

Rafael Nadal was unanimously voted 'Player 10' by journalists attending the Open Seat 2007, marking the second time the ATP World No. 2 has received the honor. The award is given each year by the APT (Asociación de Periodistas de Tenis) and Segura Viudas, represented by Susana Marimón. The award is not only based on a player's on-court performances, but also his personality and co-operation with the media.

“Votes were unanimous, and not only because he’s a great player, but because he is an exceptional personality," said the President of the APT, Manel Serras.

Nadal first won the award in 2005. Albert Costa took the award last year and other previous winners include Alex Corretja (twice), Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Lleyton Hewitt and Gustavo Kuerten.

http://www.openseatbarcelona.com/1/en/news/2007/nadal10.asp

linus
04-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Vamos Vamos Rafa :rocker2:

yana
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Can someone tape the match and post it, please? :hatoff:

cc2monac
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
6/3 6/4!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats rafa!!!! you're the best!!!!!!!! so happy for him! keep on rafito!

MariaV
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
6-3 6-4 Great victory again for Rafa! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:
And so many trophies! :)
Now the doubles final soon. :banana:

jcluvva
04-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow great win for Rafa I'm so happy for him

Naide
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
:hearts: simply the best :worship:

Alexandy
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Great job, Rafa!! I am so happy for him. I was fully prepared for Rafa to lose to Willy today, I wouldn't have minded because I know Rafa has to lose sometime, and I like Willy. But I'm glad he could win the title for the third time.

I'm probably worrying too much, but I wish Rafa would slow down a bit. I don't want him to play too much and not be fully rested for Roland Garros. I'm sure Rafa knows how much he should play...but I just can't help worrying. :)

Vamos Rafa#1
04-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Congrats Rafa on another title!!! Keep it up!

Mimi
04-30-2007, 03:39 AM
:bowdown: :woohoo: :dance: :yippee: :baby: :smooch: :hug: 20 titles by 20 years old :D :yeah: :yippee:

RogiFan88
04-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Felicitaciones a Raf! Ay! Demasiado facil, no? :lol:

rafagirlno1
04-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Rafa u absolute LEGEND!!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:
72+ WINS in a row ,no one can stop Rafa from winning third RG in a row . :worship:
continue your unbelieveable winning streak and keep us all amazed each passing day :worship:

*Meesh*
04-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Rafa was absolutely brilliant again today!!

I didn't think Canas would trouble him much, although I do like Willy, his game on clay was never going to cause Rafa many problems, but he put up a good fight and it was a good match! :)

Can anyone stop Rafa on clay this season - I don't think so!!! Vamos Rafa - keep on winning, I am always happy when you are winning!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

MariaV
04-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Rafa and Tomeu lost the doubles final to Pavel / Waske 3-6 6-7(1).

cc2monac
04-30-2007, 09:23 AM
as I already said I'm not sad at all for his loss in double since I love andrei btw the most important was him to win the single so...

the_natural
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
It shows the difference between the old Rafa and the new, the IW win changed him for sure, if he hadnt won on the hard courts by stepping in and stepping it up, changing directions placing the ball deep and coming forward (oh and mixing the serve) he woulda lost serve 3 times in this match and he woulda probably lost a set as well, same in monte carlo, and forget about only losing 9 points in 2 matches on serve or going unbroken in like 5 consecutive matches ON CLAY!!!!

For all you fans who say "i would sacrifice RG for SW19" I say, Forget about it, the way hes playing is actually a VERY very positive sign for his grass court season, he played so well last year by riding that high he came off from the clay but he was nowhere near as aggressive on clay (Losing a set in a COMPETITVE match against an outdated HEWITT on clay??) Keep up this level and use the doubles to improve the use of angles on the return and volleying skills (As well as aggressive serves) and he WILL win Wimbledon without any sacrifice.

Alexandy
04-30-2007, 06:53 PM
It shows the difference between the old Rafa and the new, the IW win changed him for sure, if he hadnt won on the hard courts by stepping in and stepping it up, changing directions placing the ball deep and coming forward (oh and mixing the serve) he woulda lost serve 3 times in this match and he woulda probably lost a set as well, same in monte carlo, and forget about only losing 9 points in 2 matches on serve or going unbroken in like 5 consecutive matches ON CLAY!!!!

For all you fans who say "i would sacrifice RG for SW19" I say, Forget about it, the way hes playing is actually a VERY very positive sign for his grass court season, he played so well last year by riding that high he came off from the clay but he was nowhere near as aggressive on clay (Losing a set in a COMPETITVE match against an outdated HEWITT on clay??) Keep up this level and use the doubles to improve the use of angles on the return and volleying skills (As well as aggressive serves) and he WILL win Wimbledon without any sacrifice.

Word to your entire post. :yeah: I too think Rafa is playing even better than ever. More aggressive. I hope hope hope (RG and) Wimbledon will happen. It would make me so happy.

rafagirlno1
05-01-2007, 06:47 AM

brilliant post !!!
i personally think Rafa is continously improving and thts the reason i encourage him to play doubles since he could improve his service returns and volleying skills ,which is a lot better today than it ever was :cool:
i think if he gets to the wimbledon final this year ,he can certainly do one step further and thts winning wimbledon beating fed ....:cool:

the_natural
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
The doubles is amazing, hes playing with an "unknown" 18 year old and hes making finals without dropping a set. I find it really encouraging that he uses few (if any) swinging volleys anymore, they are fancy and deadly but the good old stick volley is just as good and much safer and hes looking so spectacular approaching and guarding the net! :)

I love rafa (... but only cos hes winning :P...)

(...that was a joke :)