The new doubles scoring format changes every week [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The new doubles scoring format changes every week

Galaxystorm
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know what ATP is doing with the doubles scoring format :confused: :confused:

I remember that when some months ago ATP announced the new doubles scoring format, ATP said that the set would end when some pair won five games, that is ( 5-0, 5-1,5-2,5-3.5-4 ( tiebreak after 4-4 )..)

Some days later ATP made a correction telling that there was a mistake in the document and the pair had to win 6 games to win the set , but there would be a tiebreak after 5-5 . This rule was applied in China open

But now i see in Metz and Tokyo they use the scoring format that in theory ATP had said that it was wrong

I understand nothing :retard:

revolution
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Doubles is ruined now for sure.. they have to change it back, it's a farce.

Angle Queen
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
:sad:

I kept watching the scoreboard...thinking...it's almost over, almost over. Then I remembered that 5-2 is a final set score. :(

Galaxystorm
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
* Bangkok's doubles final : Hanley/Paes d Ram/Erlich : 5-6(5), 6-1, 6-2

* A Tokyo's result : Aspelin/Perry d Dent/Gambill : 54(4) ,52

Two different scoring formats in two consecutive weeks

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

KarstenBraasch#1
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
I guess next week tie-break will be played at 3-3 ????? :lol:

Just ridiculous.

Kristen
10-04-2005, 03:47 PM
This should help...
BEIJING, Sept. 12 -- Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) will not decide on whether to use the new doubles scoring format at the
Shanghai Masters Cup until 2 or 3 days ahead of the year-ending event, said an official from the world governing body of male tennis professional players here on Monday.

"Making the doubles scoring changes on Masters Cup or not is yet to be decided by the ATP board," said ATP official Iggy Jovanovic at a press conference held at the Beijing Tennis Center after a China Open men's doubles match had been finished in "sudden death".

Thomas Johansson from Sweden and Robbie Koenig from South Africa made the history as the pair beat Chinese duo Sun Peng and Wang Yu 6-2, 6-3 Monday at the Center Court by wrapping up a game with winning a decisive point after deuce, rather than having to win two in the former scoring format.

It's the ever-first game in ATP history that a No-ad scoring was introduced to the doubles event, as the ATP is testing the new scoring format at this week's China Open to better showcase the game of men's doubles.

"In the last 18 months, the ATP Research and Development Doubles Project Team studied that doubles event could be played better by shortening the match to make it more attractive to fans and TV, as well as attacting more singles players to participate," said Jovanovic.

Along with the No-ad scoring, the scoring change will also be made with tie breaks being played at 5-5 rather than at 6-6 to further speed up matches.

China Open is one of the six tournaments where the scoring changes are being tested, as the same rule will be used at Bucharest, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, Palermo and Metz.

In addition to the new scoring format, the ATP is also to make doubles more exciting to watch in introducing other changes, including that more doubles matches will be featured on show courts; Promotional initiatives are being developed; Beginning 2006, players will use the better of their singles or doubles ranking to enter doubles draws.

Galaxystorm
10-04-2005, 04:01 PM
This should help...

But the problem is that there are TWO new doubles scoring formats and not just one :retard:

Kristen
10-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I didn't say I understood it... lol (see the remark at the bottom, after I edited :lol: )
Hopefully this will annoy enough people that they will consider changing it back, or at least not varying between so many different scoring systems. :retard: *waiting for a certain Mr.Flavour to enter*

ys
10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I think it is still better than the third set super-tiebreaker crap..

vincayou
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
At least, they are trying to do something about double.

I don't see why bryan brothers and Co. are complaining about these changes. It's done to make the double competition more interesting. Thus, getting more people interesting in it. Thus, getting more money for it. Money which should arrive in their pocket.

mandoura
10-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't understand either.

It's a shame. :sad:

Scotso
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Money which should arrive in their pocket.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

vincayou
10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

If they are amonst the best double players, they should remain whatever the rules of scoring are.

nitsansh
10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
The doubles specialists are protesting about the changes to the entry system in the future. The first change is due to commence in 2006, with entry to doubles tournaments based on better singles or doubles ranking. That means that doubles players ranked outside the top 20 (or even higher in the indoor events) would not enter Masters Series tourneys if the top singles players will enter the doubles tournament.
More drastic changes are proposed for 2008, and their aim is clearly to extinct the doubles speciallists. The ATP plan is that only main draw players in singles will be allowed to play doubles, and the doubles-only ranking will be replaced by a combined singles-doubles ranking.
These changes are what the players are protesting against. They can live with the changes of the scoring system.

vincayou
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
The doubles specialists are protesting about the changes to the entry system in the future. The first change is due to commence in 2006, with entry to doubles tournaments based on better singles or doubles ranking. That means that doubles players ranked outside the top 20 (or even higher in the indoor events) would not enter Masters Series tourneys if the top singles players will enter the doubles tournament.
More drastic changes are proposed for 2008, and their aim is clearly to extinct the doubles speciallists. The ATP plan is that only main draw players in singles will be allowed to play doubles, and the doubles-only ranking will be replaced by a combined singles-doubles ranking.
These changes are what the players are protesting against. They can live with the changes of the scoring system.

Ok now I understand better. The scoring system is a good idea IMO but the ranking thing is wrong. They should find a way to let the double specialist be able to compete along with the Federers and Nadals.
What they should do is let the ranking system as it is and good single players will come more often to double and gradually the ranking system in double will look how it should in reality. They are trying to fix the ranking thing to quickly at the expense of the double specialists. Well I don't really know any more.

Via
10-05-2005, 12:13 AM
i didn't want to say any more on this topic, but i just can't help it lol

consistency and clarity are attributes that attract or turn away fans too. getting people confused is not how one wants to promote a game.

if the atp wants to experiment, they should not try their tests at the topmost professional level.

some "ATP Research and Development Doubles Project Team" studied this for 18 months. what :retard:

nitsansh
10-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Just for those who are not aware of the current entry system for doubles...
In a typical ATP tournament with a draw of 16 doubles, there are 8 places allocated to doubles speciallists, IE entry is determined only by the doubles ranking of both partners. 6 places are allocated to pairs of which at least one partner is using his singles ranking, and the remaining 2 berths are wild cards awarded by the tournament directors.
In most Masters Series tournaments, except for Madrid and Paris, there are 24 or 32 doubles, with the additional places given mostly to doubles players.
So the top-10 singles players, the likes of Federer and Roddick, never had a problem to enter doubles tournaments whenever they wished.
But even in the current system, a double with combined ranking of 33 (16+17) is not guarantied a place in Madrid Masters (if that would take place) because they are the 9th ranked couple if all top players would enter. Next year, even higher-ranked doubles players could be left out of the indoor masters, which have only a draw of 16 doubles, and at this time of the year those couples are fighting to get to the Masters Cup, and being left out of Madrid and Paris means for them no chance to go to Shanghai.