Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered User
 
Reaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 42
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

I'm Reaz and a Kei fan.He's only 18 and needs some time before he really feels for his Asian roots.But for the time being let's support his cause-to become a really good player.I hope that although he is of Asian descent he starts to really feel deep down inside not only for himself and his Japanese roots but that he has a responsibility towards Asian tennis.He'll need time though.Absolutely loved the match against Ferrer though!
Reaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 28
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hi all. I'm bluequeda from Taiwan. Like many I first heard about Kei from his Delray Beach win. I could watch the video of that fake drop shot over and over again. What I like in particular about Kei is his mental strength at such tender age and the intelligence shown in his shot selection and placement. We'll see more of him, that I'm sure of!

A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). Thank you!
bluequeda is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Registered User
 
kinokino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 197
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hi bluequeda 

I read the article on his name before.
His surname "Nishikori" is a bit unpronounceable even to Japanese people. So his parents named him "Kei" easy to remember for the overseas people.

In my case, I'm not so "younger" but I usually call my friends by first name

Ganbare Kei Nishikori
Allez Richard Gasquet&Hea tahe Kaia Kanepi & Ура!Mikhail Youzhny
kinokino is offline  
 
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered User
 
*bunny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,523
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeda View Post
A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). Thank you!
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade."

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO FOREVER!!

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny*; 09-15-2008 at 07:57 AM.
*bunny* is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered User
 
*esther*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: RendyRollerLUcoaster
Posts: 726
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hai, wakarimashita sensei !

RogerFEDERER*AndyMURRAY*NovakDJOKOVIC*RichardGASQUET*MarioANCIC*KeiNISHIKORI*RendyLU*TomasBERDYCH

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 28
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Kinokino and bunny, many thanks!

Now I see. I usually call him Nishikori when discussing with friends. I also heard some people shouting 'Nishi' at times during his matches, might have mistaken though.

And it is indeed a beautiful name looking at the Chinese characters.
bluequeda is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
May All Beings Be Happy!!
 
DhammaTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
Posts: 12,245
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinokino View Post
Hi bluequeda 

I read the article on his name before.
His surname "Nishikori" is a bit unpronounceable even to Japanese people. So his parents named him "Kei" easy to remember for the overseas people.

In my case, I'm not so "younger" but I usually call my friends by first name
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade."
Thank you Kinokino and *Bunny for the explanation. I am always fascinated by different cultural practices.

MAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY!!
DhammaTiger is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Registered User
 
hcfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 310
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hi guys! I grow up admiring Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl. And for the past 4 years I've been so passionate about tennis chasing every tournament that Rafael Nadal plays.

Being an asian myself, I support asian ballers. I certainly hope to see Kei achieve success as what Paradorn did; to be ranked in the top 10 someday.
hcfoo is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Registered User
 
why,marat,why?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 231
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeda View Post
Kinokino and bunny, many thanks!

Now I see. I usually call him Nishikori when discussing with friends. I also heard some people shouting 'Nishi' at times during his matches, might have mistaken though.

And it is indeed a beautiful name looking at the Chinese characters.

You weren't mistaken in hearing fans calling him "Nishi". In fact, if you watched any of his matches from the us open you may have heard ME cheering "nishi" at the top of my lungs lol. it's a nickname he has picked up
why,marat,why? is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Registered User
 
Reaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 42
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

nobody seems to reply to my messages-are u all ignoring me??
It seems to be the case with every forum i post messages on
Please dont mistake me for trying to get attention but i cant help but feel this sentiment.
Reaz is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered User
 
*esther*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: RendyRollerLUcoaster
Posts: 726
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaz View Post
nobody seems to reply to my messages-are u all ignoring me??
It seems to be the case with every forum i post messages on
Please dont mistake me for trying to get attention but i cant help but feel this sentiment.
Hi Reaz First of all, sorry if you felt the ignorance from all of us.
And we didn't meant it, REALLY!
This is our new forum and some of the members were old and new, we haven't get used with it, i guess!

Actually since at Kei's old thread, we, the old members also didn't post much
Hope you've no hard feeling.

RogerFEDERER*AndyMURRAY*NovakDJOKOVIC*RichardGASQUET*MarioANCIC*KeiNISHIKORI*RendyLU*TomasBERDYCH

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered User
 
kinokino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 197
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hi Reaz
All messages here including yours have reached me
I'm really looking forward Kei's next match. Especially who will be the opponent!?

Ganbare Kei Nishikori
Allez Richard Gasquet&Hea tahe Kaia Kanepi & Ура!Mikhail Youzhny
kinokino is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered User
 
Reaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 42
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinokino View Post
Hi Reaz
All messages here including yours have reached me
I'm really looking forward Kei's next match. Especially who will be the opponent!?
Thanks...sigh of relief
Reaz is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered User
 
DanaKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,347
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hello everyone! My name is Dana and I am from Kazakhstan. First time i saw Nishikori was Delray Beach - great job, I liked him so much I wish him good luck and hope sometime we will celebrate his Grand Slam title
DanaKz is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered User
 
*esther*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: RendyRollerLUcoaster
Posts: 726
                     
Re: Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

Hi Dana, welcome ~

RogerFEDERER*AndyMURRAY*NovakDJOKOVIC*RichardGASQUET*MarioANCIC*KeiNISHIKORI*RendyLU*TomasBERDYCH

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome