Tennis - 10 Things to know about Ernests Gulbis´ tennis playing sister!!
Tennis - 18 year old Laura Gulbe is following her famous brother into the world of tennis
Ace and Faults 09 Nov 2013 - 15:59 / by Haresh / reads 654.
Tennis - When Ernests Gulbis plays or talks, people sit up and take notice. Ernie plays no-holds barred tennis, speaks his mind and is one of the more colourful/ controversial personalities on the tennis circuit. Imagine a female version of Ernests Gulbis. Well, you may not have to for very long. Gulbis’ half-sister is making an attempt to break into the world of professional tennis. And here are 10 facts about Laura Gulbe.
• Laura is the half-sister of Ernie. As Ernie himself put it in an interview, “My family is a big labyrinth. You know, my father and mother divorced when I was a kid and I am the only one from them, then from my father’s side I have two sisters and one brother, and from the other side I have one brother. But I have a really, really, good close relationship with all of them.”
• Laura Gulbe is 18 years old and will turn 19 in January next year. She started playing tennis at the age of 9.
• Laura does not currently have a WTA ranking though she was ranked as high (or low) as no. 1111 in May this year.
• Her career prize money currently stands at just over $3,000. But that shouldn’t matter much. Laura and Ernests’ father is one of the richest men in Latvia.
• She has a 17-15 record this season, mostly playing the qualifying events of the ITF circuit. At the lowest level ITF events, you do not win ranking points unless you win a round in the main draw.
• As a junior, she peaked at no. 192 in the ITF world rankings, in January 2012.
• In 2011, Laura spoke about her famous elder brother in an interview, "I am very proud to have a brother like him. To reach the top 20 have to be strong mentally, he has much talent to fight anybody. "
• In February last year, Ernests had this to say about Laura, “She’s doing good though. Now being coached by the coach of Flavia Pennetta. She’s still small though. She’s not really a woman – still a girl and in women’s tennis if you mature faster you can play better.”
• She has received a wild card into the main draw of the ITF $25K event in Minsk next week.
• Her twitter handle is @Laura Gulbe1… She has tweeted 7 times since February this year when she made her debut on the site.She has 43 followers and follows 30 tweeters herself . Here are some of her tweets
If you don't try.. you will never know
Not pleased with my performance today, have to stand up taller next time. This is only motivation for me to work harder #iamnotgivingup
Struggle together. Starve together. Work together. Succeed together. Then we celebrate.
All happiness is alike, but each pain is painful in its own way.
Even all the advice in the world can't help you until you don't help yourself