I started a little collection by myself a few years ago
- About his visit to the Head factory... "They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them. I’m trying to find the balance. I’m still breaking a lot of rackets, 50 or 60 racquets a year.”
* When asked about the importance of breaking through to his first final... "I want to be quarterfinals all my life" Gulbis said with a smile.
- When the interviewer was impressed by his racquet throw... "Oh I can throw much higher. I was just scared to throw it somewhere over. Because once I threw it over the fence, and I got violation and 2000 dollar fine - and I don't wanna pay it anymore. So I'm trying to keep it in the borders of the court."
* After beating Nole in Brisbane 09... "It is probably one of my best wins but best games I don't think so, I have had some beautiful losses."
- How he prepared for his first final... “I was playing Play Station until 2:30 in the morning,” Gulbis said with a smile. “I killed everybody. I played car races.”
* After his semifinal in Delray Beach 2010
Q: Who do you want to face, Karlovic or Fish, if you had the choice?
Ernie: Better Fish, because he's a ... normal tennis player. He serves well but at least it's understandable.
- Ernie: "If I win a Grand Slam, I’d stop tomorrow."
Ernie: "Nah, I’d then go and win a 250, then I’d stop…"
* "After Wimbledon (2008, took a set off Nadal) I spent the best week of my life back in Latvia. Didn’t help my tennis much though…”
- After his R3 win in Rome 2010, on the many dropshots he played... “Yes it was a very strategic part of my game-plan... (long pause) Naaaaah, I just didn't know what else to do!"
* "Basically all of the second and third set I was playing - I don't know why - a kind of women's tennis. I was trying to push the ball and I wasn't playing my game at all in the second and third set.”
- His reaction on Daniella Hantuchova watching his semifinal in Rome... "Yeah? I'm getting popular with the girls! I'm heading back to Latvia tonight to party!"
* About his chances at RG 2010... "I think I have a good chance... if I'm stable enough, if I don't go out of my mind, and if I don't take a holiday when I shouldn't be taking one."
- When asked about how he managed to come back from 0-5 down in R1 of Doha 2011... "Well, before people use to talk about my mental weakness, now they will talk about my mental toughness. That's my new style."
* About beating Berrer in R1 Dubai 2011, when asked if he'll do a camel ride at the players party... "No I don't do parties."
- When asked if he hopes to go far in Dubai 2011, after Murray's withdrawal... "No I don't. I prefer to lose in the next round."
* Monte Carlo R2 vs Raonic, after doubtful call from Ms Mariana Alves - "I'm going to get you a present. A dvd, with slo-motions of that shot.........Are you going to say anything to me now or am I having a monologue here?"
- And ofcourse, Delray Beach 2013, Ernie vs Umpire... "What do I need to do? Run around, wave my hands, take off my shirt?"