Mens Tennis Forums banner

Roger news and articles

503K views 3K replies 234 participants last post by  Saraya! 
#1 ·
ATPtennis.com

ATP INSIDER

Players Pay Their Respects to Carter

Roger Federer and Marc Rosset were among the tennis friends who paid their last respects to Peter Carter on Wednesday.

UP FRONT...
PLAYERS PAY THEIR RESPECTS TO CARTER
Swiss players ROGER FEDERER and MARC ROSSET were among the more than 200 tennis friends who paid their last respects to Swiss Davis Cup coach Peter Carter at a funeral in St. Leonhard's Church in Basel on Wednesday. The 37-year-old Australian died in a car accident in South Africa on Aug. 1. The moving ceremony was conducted by the priest who had performed the marriage rites between Carter and his Swiss-born wife Silvia little more than a year ago. Eulogies were given by Silvia, Christine Ungricht, president of the Swiss Tennis Association and a close childhood friend from Australia. Federer, who began playing tennis as an eight-year-old with Carter, was joined at the funeral by Rosset and various players from Young Boys Basel, Carter's Club Team. DARREN CAHILL, a long -time hometown friend of Carter and current coach of ANDRE AGASSI, also was in attendance.

See less See more
#1,303 ·
:D

Match for Africa

The event shirt for the "Match of Africa" is available for CHF 29.90 Jelmoli Nike Store, Nike in Zurich - Shilcity and the Nike store in Basel available. The women's shirt is available in black and pink to buy the men's shirt is in black and white.
The entire amount goes to the Roger Federer Foundation.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Match-for-Africa/149011445128090
SF Zwei Trailer "THE MATCH FOR AFRICA"

#1,312 ·
YEsterday on facebook:

Just got this picture from the event team in Zurich of the court
being set up for tuesdays event....should be a great match with Rafa!

On my way in the car to the airport to fly to Switzerland for the
exhibition...

Today:

Back home in Switzerland. Certainly a lot colder than it was in
Dubai.

I am really excited about the match on Tuesday and playing Rafa in
front of my "home" crowd. Should be a fun couple of days in Zurich. Time to
go to bed! Ciao

#1,313 · (Edited)
Kloten ZH - Roger Federer is back in Zurich. Tired and alone, he came last night at the airport Kloten.

Zurich-Airport, 21.21 Clock: A nondescript man in a gray sweatshirt, dark jeans and a winter jacket pushes his baggage cart through the exit. No bodyguard, no entourage, just a TV camera and a photographer. A whisper doing the rounds among the 50 people waiting to relatives or friends looking out for. But he is actually Roger Federer of Switzerland meets in.

"I've seen from a plane, how much snow there is here," he says in amazement to VIEW. In Dubai, the conditions for training would have been better. But Federer has a mission in Zurich. The "Match for Africa" on Tuesday against Rafael Nadal , he wants to import a lot of money for his foundation as possible, children in Africa supports the. "That is the goal," he explained. And we offer the people a great show. "

Tickets for the goodies in the indoor stadium were sold out within minutes. "It's almost a little sad that this happened so quickly," regrets the 16-time Grand Slam champion. "But you never know how such an important occasion. Especially in the Christmas season when so much is going on. "

Amazing: Some kids take the opportunity to get hold of Switzerland's most famous for an autograph or even a souvenir photo. But most admire him from afar. Up close he looks a bit tired after the flight from the Arabian heat in the winter cold of Zurich.

Recovery, he is hardly in the next few days here. Today is a sponsors event on the program, on Tuesday, he leads by only Rafael Nadal plays Zurich, then a couple of practice balls with kids, before there are 20 clock in the indoor stadium is seriously off.

Mirka wife and the twins, Myla and Charlene have remained so in the heat. After the "return" on Wednesday in Madrid Federer returns to Dubai - to his second home -. Back, he will celebrate Christmas under palm trees - in the family dared -. Gifts he has no more in Zurich now, at least not for the girls. "That makes Mirka," he says with a grin. He rewarded for the children in Africa.

Some more photos:

#1,320 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog...Nadal-from-airport-rivals-hang?urn=ten-298784

Federer picks up Nadal from airport; rivals hang out in Zurich

In the greatest tennis carpool ever, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal drove together to an exhibition match in Zurich. Federer picked up the world's top-ranked player at the airport and took a jaunt through downtown before heading to the stadium.

Nadal arrived in Switzerland on Tuesday morning for the first of two exhibition matches this week with Federer, his long-time rival. He was met on the airport runway by the all-time winningest Grand Slam champion and then hopped in Fed's red Mercedes SLS AMG with gullwing doors (retail price: around $200,000).

The world's top-ranked players are competing in an exhibition on Tuesday afternoon in Zurich and then will fly to Madrid for another exhibition in Nadal's native Spain on Wednesday. Both matches will be broadcast by ESPN2 (Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. ET; Wednesday, 1 p.m. ET). Proceeds from the exhibitions will go the players' respective charities.

These sorts of matches are great for the sport and it should be an enjoyable event to watch. Some will try to take meaning from the results, but those will be just as important as the final score of a preseason football game. It's meaningless, frivolous fun. Expect two three-setters (gotta give the fans their money's worth) and for each man to win the match in his homeland.

But forget all that. I'm more interested in this Federer airport pickup. It's like Nadal is his Keith Hernandez. What do you think these two talked about while driving down the streets of Zurich? (Closes eyes and imagines the conversation, as twinkly music plays in the background.)

(silence)

Nadal: "Did you watch the Davis Cup."

Federer: "Not really, no."

Nadal: "Me neither."

(more silence)

Federer: "So, uh, how's Spain."

Nadal: "Good, good."

(longer silence)

Nadal: "How are the twins?"

Federer: "They're good. They're good. Getting to that really, really cute age."

(even longer silence)

Federer: "Man, that Sampras is an idiot."

Nadal: (loudly) "I know, right!"

(give high-fives)

They look remarkably similar there, no? Maybe it's the gray and the fact that their hair is the same color and parted the same, but this could totally be a Christmas Card picture for some G5-owning family.

regards,
wacky

#1,322 ·
I translated an interview with Roger from the Swiss newspaper "Schweizer Illustrierte".

The online version is available here: http://www.schweizer-illustrierte.ch/epaper/101220161230-13a12218f7b7445a97e40bddabd82aee/si_2010_50

He fights for the poorest in Africa. Roger Federer talks about his mission, he was able to get Rafael Nadal to Switzerland and what is important for him as a father

"I want to be a role-model"

By Nik Niethammer and Stephanie Ringel

Roger Federer, your mother is from South Africa. You have been to Johannesburg very often during your vacations. How is your relationship to Africa?

I have a lot of Africa in me. I feel strongly connected to this continent. In former times we visited out family near Johannesburg at least once a year. Afterwards we travelled through the country. Whenever I see pictures of this incredible beautiful countryside I get really moved. Those who know Africa know what I'm talking about. The people there are so open, friendly and courteous. When you enter a restaurant you get immediately included into a conversation. You get friends in Africa really soon.

How have you perceived the poverty?

I already got in contact with the poverty during my travels as a child. Unfortunately it always was a part of Africa and therefore it was never a shock for me. Other countries, other conditions. But my experience was also that you can be happy even when you are poor. They don't have much, they don't need much and they are creative with the few things they have.

You fund with your Roger Federer Foundation aid projects in Africa.

Africa means a lot to me and therefore I want to support Africa. I don't do it out of pity but because I believe in the potential of the people. I especially want to give the children a chance and to help them to take their life in their own hands and to make more out of it when they want to. It is important for me to give them a positive attitude to life.

The charity event "Match for Africa" against Rafael Nadal on December 21st in Zürich will probably attain a seven-digit sum. Do you already know what you are going to do with it?

The money will go into the foundation first. We plan in the long run and look carefully for the best possible projects. These ones we support several years as part of a relationship. We concentrate on education projects in the poorest countries of Africa. It is important for us to include the people in situ in our activities. They have to assume responsibilty and do their bit in order to prevent a dependence. We don't want to give just money but also to care for the use. After the Swiss Indoors in Basel my parents went to South Africa and Zimbabwe.

They visited three projects there.

When we are on site we check if the organization is trustworthy and professional. Do they have a clear vision and a realistic target? Do they make the right thing in order to help the children? When you want to improve the education at a school it isn't enough to build a nice house, to employ good teachers and to supply books when the children are going to fall asleep during the lessons because they are hungry.

Is your foundation a tribute to your Southafrican mother?

A good question, I have never seen it that way. But yes, somehow it's true. I'm happy to give something back to my second home South Africa. My mother and father are really dedicated members of the foundation board. Without them the Roger Federer Foundation would probably not exist.

The foundation was established in 2003. You have been to Ethiopia in 2010 in order to have a look at one of the projects there yourself. How was this visit for you?

That was a very emotional moment for me. I don't visit our projects every day. We support a school in Kore Roba, 40 kilometres away from Addis Abeba. It was great for me to see that with our support we can really effect something.

How have you been received there?

The school, even the whole village, organized a wonderful, heartfelt welcome. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with the children. To inspire them. I felt: You do something right here, you can cause something positive. That was important for me and that's why I took part in a race over a stubble field, danced and sang with them. I got a many presents like a scarf, a hat or colourful jars. They are now all in my apartment in Dubai.

Back to Zürich. Next week you are going to meet Rafael Nadal in the Hallenstadion. Your big rival in sport, who took the #1 ranking from you. How do you get along privately?

Very good. We nearly have to do with each other every week. I'm president of the ATP Players Council and he is my vice. We already appeared together a few times for charity, for example earlier this year in Australia where we played for the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. Since years I wanted to do something big for my own foundation but so far it has been to much for me and I didn't felt mature enough. Now I'm 29 years old and it's the right moment to do it. I'm very happy that we could organize the "Match for Africa". The reactions are overwhelmingly positive and I'm really looking forward to it. The proceeds from the match in Zürich will go to the Roger Federer Foundation. One day later I'm going to play against Rafa again in Madrid. The proceeds from that match will go to Rafa's foundation.

Will it be a fun event or a hard fought match?

It is something special for me to play for the first time in Switzerland - at my home - against Rafa, even though it is a friendly match. We want to show the people a good spectacle. We love to play tennis.

Is this match going to take place every year now?

We will see. At least we know meanwhile how to organize it.

In Basel your wife surprisingly brought your twins with her to the final. Will they come now as well?

At the Swiss Indoors Mirka thought: So many people around the world, especially friends, haven't seen the children for a long time. She wanted to surprise them. It was important for me to share this special moment with my whole family. Therefore I was very happy that they were there. If the family is going to be in Zürich will be decided short-term like it is usual with children.

Myla and Charlene are 16 months old. Do they talk meanwhile?

Yes, they slowly starting with it. Mirka and I am talking in Swiss German with them. The nanny and my mother in English, Mirkas mother Slovak. I think that everyone should talk in their language with them. I grew up with Swiss German and English. When I went to the training centre of the tennis association in Ecublens when I was 15 years old I had to learn French in addition. Today I benefit from it. This is something I would like to make possible for my children as well.

How has the father's role changed you?

For me a dream comes true to be a father. It's wonderful to have a family around me. You naturally grow into the father's role. First of the mother is playing the central role with breast-feeding and cuddling. There the man has time to look and learn. I'm someone who wants to help and support Mirka as much as possible. In the future it is going to be interesting because I can start as a father to teach them things. I think what you can give them on their way today they don't have to learn anymore. And then you ask yourself suddenly important educational questions. What do I want the children to learn?

What do you want?

The language thing we decided intuitive. We try to be much outside with the childre and spend time in the nature. Recently we have been to the zoo for example. At the moment the time is very intensive, everything is new and interesting for the kids. They are like two little butterflies who want to discover everything. They are constantly running around. Especially in the evening they aren't that secure anymore on their feets and that's when you are really required.

How do you want to be a role-model?

I don't only want to be a role-model for my kids but also for many other children. As their favourite athlete, favourite person, maybe as their idol. Good behaviour, politeness and honesty are important to me. You shouldn't be focused only on yourself but to see the hardships of others and react to this. That's why I'm active in my foundation. When I got choosen to be a role-model I want to be a help for the children and their parents, a positive role-model. I'm not just the tennisplayer but a normal person with strengths and weaknesses. It's important for me to show them. That's why I go into TV shows like "Sportpanorama". The people should see me live and authentically as I am.

You only missed two weeks out of the first 16 months of your twins. The girls are with you all the time. Just in 2010 you have been travelling around the world three times. Isn't this stress for the children?

Of course we ask ourselves if we overstrain them. We try everything to keep the stress as less as possible for the little ones. We travel with 15 to 20 piece of luggage, that's quite crazy. The children have their favourite toys with them and we try to make a cosy and pleasant environment out of every hotelroom. It is important for me to have much time with them. It is a huge joy to see them daily and how they are growing up. My family, Mirka and the children, are the oasis of energy for me. Beside this the children enjoy it to frolic with me each day.

How does the Federer family celebrate Christmas?

The togetherness with the family is paramount for us, even more now that we are parents. We have a Christmas tree in our living-room since two years which Mirka and I am going to decorate. We like to listen to Christmas songs and enjoy the time we have together. When Charlene and Myla are a bit older I want to bake "Guetsli" with them.

You are able to bake?

I'm going to learn it then - with Mirka's help.

#1,328 ·
Roger was named one of the "losers of the year" from Swiss journalists :cuckoo:

Translation:

It is actually quite rude to name Roger Federer as one of the losers in 2010. Most would say that they had the best season in their career when they would reach 2 QF in a GS. But for the guy from Basel his loss at the French Open meant that he missed the #1 record from Sampras for one week and that he missed to reach after 23 major SF's the round of the last 4. Instead of taking revenge a bit later in Wimbledon he lost in the QF there as well and many asked themselves: Is it over for Roger? Fortunately he gave an answer to this with a strong performance in the autumn and a 21:2 balance, including the title at the WTF.

Original source: http://www.20min.ch/sport/weitere/story/23410436

#1,330 ·
Doris, many thanks to the translation of the interview. I like especially the part Roger talked about Africa.

"Africa means a lot to me and therefore I want to support Africa. I don't do it out of pity but because I believe in the potential of the people. I especially want to give the children a chance and to help them to take their life in their own hands and to make more out of it when they want to. It is important for me to give them a positive attitude to life."

#1,333 ·
Federer excited by challenge of new season

Friday, 31 December 2010

Federer is determined to regain the World No1 spot

Roger Federer is looking for "something extra special" ahead of his match with Robin Soderling, as he bids to return to the summit of the men’s game.

The Swiss world No2 believes the Mubadala World Tennis Championships in Abu Dhabi is the ideal preparation for an assault on the top spot currently occupied by Rafael Nadal.

Federer, who takes on Soderling in the first semi-final at the Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium, began the year on a high winning the Australian Open but he failed to make the final of any of the remaining Grand Slams.

This drop from his previously high standards ensured he lost the coveted world No1 status to Spaniard Nadal.

But Federer is now ready to focus on the 2011 season.

He said: “I have never looked at a season as a full stop, but it’s full start again.

“For me, it’s somewhat continuous.

“It’s true that the points start from zero and off you go again into a new season.

“There’s always new stories, something different written, something different said and I think that’s the exciting point.”

On his previous season Federer said: “I thought it was another good year. Maybe, in other years I could have been world No1 if Rafa wouldn’t have won three Grand Slams.

“Winning one Grand Slam and the World Tour final usually puts you in a really good position to get to world No1 but Rafa has done similar in other years and finished number two in the world.

“So at the moment, you really need something extra special to be at the top, which I think is great for the game and he’s had an exceptional season.

“I’m pretty happy the way I played. I know I could have done even better because after Australia until the French Open, or even Wimbledon I didn’t really play a whole lot of matches.

“So for this reason I couldn’t pick up so many points and maybe couldn’t play my best because I was lacking matches.

“I had some tough losses but at the same time I was able to turn around some big matches that were really key and important to get back on track. I thought I had a great end to the season.

“Since Wimbledon I had only been able to reach semi-finals or finals. It shows I am playing really well on the hardcourts and I hope I can take it over to the next season.”

Federer said playing in Abu Dhabi is an important part of his preparation.

“It’s absolutely worth it,” he said.

“It’s paid off the last couple of seasons, played really well in Australia and had good seasons.

“It’s nice to be able to test yourself against other top players. It makes you feel a bit more relaxed because you can try out a few things, the next thing you know it’s working and you can carry it over to the next match.

“Winning always gives you great confidence and makes you feel really high. I’m playing great and hope I can keep that up here.

“The format has two matches for the players now and I have played really well against Ferrer (David) to get my first win here in Abu Dhabi and hope I can get two wins this time but the field is really difficult.”

Federer added that he does not believe in short-term goals and is always able to focus on his career as a whole.

He said: “I look at the long term, I am not driven by short-term success even though it’s obviously important for my confidence trying to win matches and tournaments.

“But I don’t get down on myself because I know I am very professional, I am doing the right things.

“It’s important to always try to keep on improving.”

Pal Tiger will return to the top

Roger Federer has backed good friend Tiger Woods to bounce back from his troubles and dominate the world of golf once again.

Like Federer, Woods lost his world no1 status, with Lee Westwood replacing the American at the top of the pile.

Woods endured a year in the spotlight after details of his infidelity were sprawled across the world’s media.

Federer said: “He is still a good friend of mine and it doesn’t matter what happened.

“I will happy to see him hopefully soon again. I really hope he gets back on winning ways again as a golfer. It would be wonderful to see him dominate the game of golf again.”

He added: “I think golf is still healthy without Tiger but obviously he’s a huge impact on the game, on the fans.

“So I hope to see him back at the top again very soon.”

Did Federer give Woods any help to deal with his troubles?

“If I do give him advice, it’s not through you guys,” Federer said.

“I don’t think he needs much advice when it comes to winning.

“He’s had more success than me. As a golfer, he has been there longer.

“He’s done amazing things.”

Source:
http://www.sport360.com/tennis/news/12101-tennis-federer-excited-by-challenge-of-new-season