Mens Tennis Forums banner

Malisse & Wickmayer will take an appeal

10K views 158 replies 66 participants last post by  duong 
#1 ·
Malisse suspended ?

I have just heard that Malisse and Yanina Wickmayer were both suspended by Flemish Doping Tribunal for one year for failing to appear on anti-doping tests (Wickmayer three times in a row).

Anyone knows something more about this ?

#8 ·
Re: Malisse suspended ?

The fallout from the Agassi book begins. Google translation:

Malisse suspended tennis and Wickmayer
BRUSSELS -- The Flemish Doping Tribunal has the tennis Yanina Wickmayer and Xavier Malisse suspended Thursday for one year. Wickmayer had three editions the whereabouts of his residence failed to comply with the anti-doping authorities. Malisse twice committed the violation but also missed a check.

#10 · (Edited)

At the beginning of the year when anti-doping labs got the contract to go after the tennis world, there was speculation that giving your whereabouts while playing in different places all over the world week after week with missed flights and different schedules depending how far you go in a tournament would be a problem -- I feel the players are very unlucky to be treated in this way, even if they tried their best missing some of these tests would be a statistical likelyhood.

#14 ·

Thanks to Agassi, I think Malisse will have a hard time overturning the decision. Really sorry for him.

Compare to other sports, tennis players have a much tougher to know their own whereabouts so far ahead of time. WADA should really review about the special situations and not applying the same rules for all amateur and professional sports.

#16 ·

Compare to other sports, tennis players have a much tougher to know their own whereabouts so far ahead of time.
But they can update their whereabouts daily depending on where they are now. I don't get what is so tough about it. They just need to enter their hotel and say they will be there from 7 to 8 am. It's not that big a deal.

They already had two warnings and did it again, it seems incredibly careless from them.

#15 ·

What a bunch of s***, poor Malisse (and Wickmayer).

#17 ·

Malisse can still play ATP and ITF tournaments, is that correct? This agency has nothing to do with the ATP. They can probably suspend him from the davis cup team and perhaps touraments in Belgium but i dont see how his affects his status with the ATP.

#36 ·

Wickmayer had some great results in the last two months or so. Now we know why.

#37 ·

Why?

She didn't fail a test or fail to attend for a test.

What she did do is fail to notify them of where she would be for a chosen hour each day. I don't think breaking those kind of rules is acceptable and some sort of sanction should be imposed but a year ban is very harsh.

#38 ·

These same rules apply to all other sports that have signed up to this thing. I don't see why tennis players should be gone easy on. There are plenty of ways they can update and if they were having problems logging in then they could always have phoned up, sent a text, emailed. If I was having problems logging in to a system like that I would be straight on the phone but that's just me. Obviously things in Tennis have been very lax in the past.

I guess tennis is suddenly going to start enforcing rules. I wonder how young Gasquet will fare...

Anyway I bet a bunch of players are suddenly checking they've filled in their whereabouts.

#41 ·

I don't have a problem with the rule of a player being suspended for missing 3 tests, there are many examples in other sports of athletes getting suspended for this. Kederis, Thanou, Rasmussen and Ohogoru ( who got her ban overturned by local athletics authorities).

In the case of tennis, WADA just need to make the lines of communication between the two easier.

#45 ·

I don't have a problem with the rule of a player being suspended for missing 3 tests, there are many examples in other sports of athletes getting suspended for this. Kederis, Thanou, Rasmussen and Ohogoru ( who got her ban overturned by local athletics authorities).

In the case of tennis, WADA just need to make the lines of communication between the two easier.
But she didn't miss any tests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.